Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 8 year old girl stabbed to death in her bedroom, alleged killer is her 12 year old brother

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    Thanks for the info, berm!

And I'm with queen, I think. Either they aren't telling us everything they have against the kid, or they don't have much, and that doesn't sit right with me. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

After reading Jason Baldwin's book in the West Memphis Three case, I see how easy it is to railroad a juvenile into prison for a crime they did not commit. It's pretty scary.

In his case they had a concrete alibi, he willingly gave up DNA thinking that would clear things up. All the alibi witnesses and DNA were ignored.
    Last edited by queenaevadamthng; 10-06-2014 at 05:23 PM.

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

Quote Originally Posted by queenaevadamthng View Post
    I just don't see concrete evidence here. When I see it maybe I will change my mind. This kid, if he did not do it, is probably in a total state of shock and operating on autopilot. He found his younger sister butchered. He is now facing the possibility of going to prison. That would be traumatizing to a kid or adult.

His facial expressions and saying "I'm not saying goodbye to Leila, I'm saying 'See you later.' There are no goodbyes.", IMO doesn't make him guilty or sinister. I have seen lots of people say damn near they same thing when their loved one passed. I have also seen people smile at a funeral because they were remembering the good times they shared with someone they lost.

Looking at this with the mindset of a juror, the evidence so far isn't convincing me that this kid did it. Show me the evidence.
    I didn't mean to say that he was guilty or anything because he was smiling. I just thought it was creepy that that was the picture someone chose to put in the article.

I still am not sure if he did it or not. They did find his DNA and fingerprints at the crime scene. But he DID live there....did he have any cuts on him? Has that info been released? I mean, THAT would say a lot, in my opinion. Him being young, her being stabbed so many times, he must've cut himself

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I didn't mean to say that he was guilty or anything because he was smiling. I just thought it was creepy that that was the picture someone chose to put in the article.
    f
    Of course they chose that. He's "guilty" and you said yourself that the use of the picture is "creepy"- gotta keep that semblance of guilt any way they can!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

All pictures taken from a distance and then blown up ten times larger are creepy.

If he had cuts, that would up the probability that he did it. If he simply had blood on him, or left bloody handprints in her room, I would expect that if he had found his sister and tried to help her.

I had a friend years ago that was stabbed several times. By the time we got him to the hospital, I had blood all over me. It was soaked through to my bra and my hands were caked from me trying to plug the holes. To all appearances, one could jump to the conclusion that I had been the culprit. Thank God there were witnesses all around.

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

I'm jaded enough to believe the boy killed his sister.

The police in this case searched quite a while for an intruder (I think about 13 days). So it wasn't like they came into this case with tunnel vision on Isaiah. The state says they have a lot of evidence against him (which is all sealed) and there must be so much because the def. asked for more time to go through it all.
    http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/n...c50fecbca.html

I agree that the police do SUCK and sometimes they do get tunnel vision and plan on sticking it to the wrong person. I don't believe this is the case here.

Isaiah was the only person in the house with Leila. She was stabbed 21 times. 21. I find it hard to believe that a stranger would break in- stab an 8 year old girl 21 times, then just leave in the daytime....and there is no trace of him anywhere. The description Isaiah gave of the "intruder" should have hit pay dirt with tips and suspects.

Then there is always this:
    Reports surfacing from the suspect's school now report that Leila Fowler's 12-year-old brother was suspended for five days for bringing a pocket knife to school. The 12-year-olds' name is not being released because he is a minor. He is too young to be charged as an adult. In California only minors 14-years and older can be charged as adults. If convicted of murder he will remain in custody until he is 25-years-old.http://startingpoint.blogs.cnn.com/2...simon-reports/
    Or this
    But on the same day he was charged with murder, Calaveras County homicide detectives confirm that they’re investigating reports of alleged animal mutilations at the hands of the boy.

“‘If he did, this changes the whole equation,” Dr. Mike Duveneck, a clinical psychology professor at Sacramento State, told FOX40.http://fox40.com/2013/05/15/investig...omment-page-1/
    Sources close to the case told FOX40 they found Isaiah’s blood and finger prints at the crime scene.

Here's another one. I'm just snipping some, but lots of information about the family.
    SAN ANDREAS - Even before April 27, when 8-year-old Leila Fowler was fatally stabbed in her home near Valley Springs, the Fowler family had troubles.
    Leila's 12-year-old brother has been charged with murder in her death.
    Although the adults in the Fowler family have said little publicly, court records show it was a household that struggled financially and combined five children born to at least three different mothers.
    "I juggle month-to-month to get by," Barney Fowler, 37, the head of the household and father of the five children living there wrote in an April 19 document in which he asked ex-wife Shirley Fowler to pay child support for their 14-year-old daughter, Alexis.
    Court documents, birth announcements and other records show that Barney Fowler is the father to at least seven different children born to at least four different women, including a 2-year-old child living with its mother in Idaho.
    http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...170322/0/RSS09
    And a quote from the boy's attorney admitting the boy lied about the intruder

Our view of the case hasn't changed. We got in believing our client was innocent, and as we stand here, that's what we believe,” Reichel said outside the courthouse steps.

He contended that there was no “smoking gun” in the case against Isaiah, although he conceded that his client lied about the intruder. Still, Reichel said, that doesn’t mean the boy killed his sister.http://www.ibtimes.com/12-year-old-d...ister-1284483#
    Last edited by bermstalker; 10-08-2014 at 02:37 AM.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    I'm jaded enough to believe the boy killed his sister.

The police in this case searched quite a while for an intruder (I think about 13 days). So it wasn't like they came into this case with tunnel vision on Isaiah. The state says they have a lot of evidence against him (which is all sealed) and there must be so much because the def. asked for more time to go through it all.
    http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/n...c50fecbca.html

I agree that the police do SUCK and sometimes they do get tunnel vision and plan on sticking it to the wrong person. I don't believe this is the case here.

Isaiah was the only person in the house with Leila. She was stabbed 21 times. 21. I find it hard to believe that a stranger would break in- stab an 8 year old girl 21 times, then just leave in the daytime....and there is no trace of him anywhere. The description Isaiah gave of the "intruder" should have hit pay dirt with tips and suspects.

Then there is always this:

Or this

Here's another one. I'm just snipping some, but lots of information about the family.

And a quote from the boy's attorney admitting the boy lied about the intruder
    Thanks Berm. That were things I didn't know. I also think that the brother did it. If he lied about the intruder, who did it?

Can you find out more info on the Dora Betancourt murder. Her sister is also charged with murder. It happened in Mundelein Illinois. I the sisters name is Aurora Knauf-Strom. I haven't been able to find any updates at all on the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    Thanks Berm. That were things I didn't know. I also think that the brother did it. If he lied about the intruder, who did it?

Can you find out more info on the Dora Betancourt murder. Her sister is also charged with murder. It happened in Mundelein Illinois. I the sisters name is Aurora Knauf-Strom. I haven't been able to find any updates at all on the case.
    Ugh. What a terrible story. The sister goes back to court Nov 3, 2014. Her last court date was Sept. 24. Here is the latest article I found
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...924-story.html

Queena.....I just bumped up Dora's thread for you. Lots of information posted there.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...r-older-sister
    Last edited by bermstalker; 10-09-2014 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M Joy View Post
    Actually there is a hearing scheduled for October 6th in order to set a new trial date.

http://t.recordnet.com/article/20140922/News/140929876
    Thank you.

New Evidence in Leila Fowler Murder Case
    http://fox40.com/2015/02/04/new-evid...r-murder-case/

When speaking to the media, the lawyer of Isaiah Fowler, a boy accused of stabbing his younger sister to death in 2013, had some surprising news.

?There has been substantial testing in this case. DNA has been the preeminent one, and the results of that have been surprisingly good for us,? said defense attorney Steve Plesser.

A bomb-shell in the murder case of Leila Fowler, an 8-year-old Valley Springs girl found brutally stabbed to death in April of 2013. After a massive man-hunt for an unknown suspect, her then 12-year-old brother was arrested.

Now he?s fourteen. And his defense attorneys say they have DNA evidence that points to someone else.

Plesser says DNA testing from the crime scene is still on-going. That testing would typically determine if someone else?s bodily fluids, spit or blood or semen, was found on or near Leila?s body.

After a hearing today where Isaiah Fowler was present in shackles, the Calaveras County Prosecutors refused to give a statement.

But Folwer?s case has been delayed again while the testing is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by sogs View Post
    Nothing matters but the lesbian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

WHAT!?!? Arrest that fuck. This is ridiculous. This isn't a fucking game. What the hell!?!
    Agreed who fuckin lies in such a serious time ?! Isnt that hindering an investigation or something like that

And, the case against him, they report, is starting to crumble...

http://www.news10.net/story/news/201...ling/23573793/

SACRAMENTO - The attorneys defending the 14-year-old boy accused of savagely stabbing his younger sister to death are arguing for his release from juvenile hall pending trial because they claim new evidence suggests he's innocent.

In a motion filed Tuesday in Calaveras County Superior Court, the Sacramento law firm of Reichel & Plesser offered a point-by-point analysis of evidence, some of it discovered just last month, they say supports the boy's claim that an intruder killed 8-year-old Leila Fowler on the morning of April 27, 2013.

The knife

The contract pathologist from Stockton who performed the autopsy concluded Leila died from being stabbed and slashed by a knife-like weapon more than 20 times and he noted there was no indication the weapon was a serrated knife.

According to the defense bail motion, investigators discovered a small amount of Leila's blood under the wooden handle of a serrated steak knife with a slightly bent blade found in the kitchen, which they assumed was the murder weapon.

But the defense team says the pathologist, Dr. Robert Lawrence, specifically excluded the steak knife as a possible murder weapon when it was shown to him during the autopsy.

The cleanup?

The bail motion pointed out the large amount of blood spatter, pooled blood and the number and nature of Leila's wounds suggest the perpetrator would have been covered with blood following the attack.

But photographs of the boy, then 12, taken at the hospital shortly after the murder show no blood on his body or clothing. A close-up photo of his dirty bare feet suggests he had not recently bathed.

No blood-soaked clothes were found in spite of an extensive search of the neighborhood.

The court filing also revealed that law enforcement collected all the drains and traps from sinks, showers and tubs in the Fowler's Valley Springs home and found no evidence of Leila's blood or cleaning products in the plumbing.

Evidence of an intruder

According to the bail motion, evidence of an intruder in the Fowler house was not made known to the defense until last month when a DNA test requested by the defense team showed male DNA on a strand of Leila's hair found in the cleft of her buttocks.

The motion says the California Department of Justice, which conducted the test, concluded the male DNA found on Leila's hair may come from a male relative of Barney Fowler, Leila's father -- although all male relatives who live in the house or had recently visited have been excluded.

Attorney Steven Plesser said in an interview that additional testing is underway to determine whether the DNA is from blood, saliva or semen.

On Friday, Plesser will argue for the Fowler boy's release into the care of his stepmother's parents in Stockton pending his trial, scheduled for May 18.

"The family wants him out," Plesser said. "Nothing has been presented to them to prove to them that he did this crime. They don't want him to waste any more of his youth behind bars while the prosecution's case seems to get weaker and weaker."

Calaveras County District Attorney Barbara Yook did not immediately respond to a telephone message seeking comment.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

I'm looking for updates but I only started checking because of this old case they had on tv down here today. It has a few similarities, to say the least & I didn't know about this case at all.

12 yr old Stephanie Crowe's 14 yr old brother was cleared in her stabbing murder. Then in 2013 transient Richard Tuite was acquitted, Stephanie's family said at the time that he'd kill again.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/may/22...t-sisters-mur/

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...234664911.html

This was published a week or so after Peace posted - even FOX are making Leila's brother brother sound innocent

http://fox40.com/2015/02/19/new-dna-...a-fowler-case/

It?s been almost two years since a terrible murder scene played-out in Valley Springs, and 8-year-old Leila Fowler lost her life.

It?s been almost two years since her older brother Isaiah Fowler was charged with that murder and arrested.

He?s just 14-years-old. So, much of his 12th year, and all of his 13th, were spent either in custody or, when he?s in court, in shackles.

His defense attorneys are confident that will end tomorrow.

?He is not the murderer. He?s a 12-year-old boy who, when law enforcement got there, was almost completely clean of any evidence of a crime scene, which is beyond impossible. A 12-year-old can?t clean up a crime scene,? defense attorney Mark Reichel said.

And this crime scene was particularly gory. Leila was stabbed more than 20*times with a knife that punctured both her heart and lungs.

But it's not just the absence of blood on Isaiah that demonstrates his innocence according to his attorneys. They say it's the presence of the bodily fluids of another person - a man.

It's DNA found during testing, ordered by the defense this January, on a strand of Leila's own hair, retrieved from under her clothes, from the cleft of her buttocks.

"Now you have scientific evidence that shows sometime, recently, prior to her demise, there was a male adult very close to her - close enough to deposit significant DNA," Reichel said.

There was no evidence of sexual assault on Leila?s body when she was killed.

I asked Reichel what Isaiah?s reaction might be Friday if he?s released on bail.

?Words probably would fall far short of describing his emotions and what he?s thinking,? he said.

We contacted the Calaveras County District Attorney?s Office about this story. They told us they would not comment, because it is a case involving a minor.

As of now, the 2nd degree murder trial of Isaiah Fowler is still on the court calendar for mid-May.

If not Isiah, *then who?

?Everybody wants an answer. I wish I could give everyone an answer. But we can?t give an answer, other than to say it?s not the boy you?re holding in custody,? Reichel ssaid.

For nearly two weeks after the brutal murder of Leila Fowler, the Calaveras County Sheriff lead a manhunt looking for her killer. It would end with arrest of her then 12-year-old brother, the boy who was babysitting Leila at the time of her death. The boy who provided a description of the killer.

Now his defense attorneys are saying the key to their case was not hiding in the rolling hills of Calaveras County, but with a single strand of Leila?s hair and the DNA they found on it.

?It?s a complete profile of a male, and it doesn?t match anybody associated with the Fowler family, or those that had visited recently or been in the neighborhood,? Reichel said.

Reichel says the Calaveras County Prosecutor now is running that DNA sample through law enforcement data bases, looking for a match.

The science says there is some possibility that the male it describes is a relative of Leila and Isiah?s father, Barney Fowler.

Reichel says there is a killer still out there, and just as it was in days right after Leila was killed, it?s the job of law enforcement to find him.

?I know they were beating the bush and you were there when they were doing it,? he told FOX40. ?But if in your heart and your mind, you?re certain you?re not going to find anything, then you?re not doing the job right, and you can overlook things.?

Not accusing the guy that was acquitted, I'm sure he was the first guy they ruled out. But if the courts have been correct up to this point, an as yet unknown person killed Stephanie who potentially could be anywhere in California or the world by now.

At the very least though, it looks like Stephanie's case inspired the claims of a long-haired transient near Leila's

Edit : hmm. He was acquitted even though the stains on his jumper were Stephanie's blood?? After Stephanie's murder he had charges of child annoyance for following & harrassing girls of similar age & numerous break & enters. He's also been charged for removing his ankle monitor & travelling to an area near Stephanie's home during one of his parole releases - this is all very, very old news though. After Stephanie's murder he was in & out of custody on the charges above, then he spent 8 years inside awaiting trial until his acquittal in 2013 (after Leila's murder). If one guy like this exists, there's always going to be more.

Edit : ok no updates for Leila & Isaiah because they're still pushing this forward to trial despite the (lack of) DNA/clothing/blood evidence. It was supposed to be May 18 but it's been moved back to August 5

https://johnkennedyinvestigations.wo.../leila-fowler/
    Last edited by blighted star; 07-17-2015 at 10:39 PM.

VALLEY SPRINGS, Calif. -- A California teen has been convicted of second-degree murder by a juvenile judge in the 2013 stabbing death of his 8-year-old sister, Leila Fowler, reports CBS Sacramento. The boy's family says they are standing behind him, and a lawyer plans to appeal the ruling.

The girl was found stabbed to death in April 2013 in her family's home in Valley Springs. Her brother, 12 at the time, was the only one home with her. He called 911 to report an intruder had attacked his sister, but police became suspicious of his story.

Prosecutors argued the boy fatally stabbed Leila 23 times before cleaning himself and calling his parents 45 minutes later to report the intruder, reports the Sacramento Bee. They also say he made inconsistent statements to a 911 dispatcher. In his ruling, a juvenile judge cited evidence including the girl's blood found on two knives in the home's kitchen, reports CBS Sacramento.

However, the boy's lawyer, Mark Reichel, argued at trial that evidence at the scene pointed away from his client, reports the Union Democrat. He said DNA of an unknown male was found during an analysis of the girl's sexual assault kit and unidentified fingerprints were found in the home, reports the paper.

48 Hours' Crimesider is not naming the boy because of his young age.

Now 15, he been incarcerated since his May 2013 arrest. If given the maximum sentence, he could stay in juvenile detention until he's 23, reports the station.

The family reportedly remains convinced an unknown suspect is responsible for the attack.

"I said if you have evidence, arrest him; here he is," Barney Fowler told the station. "But you have to convince me. They haven't done that."

The boy is scheduled for sentencing Nov. 4.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/californ...-his-sister-8/

Wow. I was expecting more evidence to come out in this kid's favour. I'm still not really sure about this one

No update. Just some /stuff we missed during the trial & investigation.

This conviction bothers me so much, it really does.

http://www.uniondemocrat.com/News/Lo...ing-witnesses#

Multiple witnesses Wednesday described suspicious people they saw around the time 8-year-old Leila Fowler was killed in April 2013, including one witness who was more than 20 miles away from Leila’s Valley Springs home.

The boy accused of the murder, now 15, was 12 years old at the time Leila was found in a pool of blood in her bedroom on April 27, 2013. She had been stabbed 22 times, mostly in the chest, and suffered at least 14 poke wounds.

The boy, whose name is not being used because he is a juvenile, was arrested in May 2013 and charged with second-degree murder in connection with Leila’s death.

Dressed in a plaid dress shirt and dark jeans, he occasionally looked around the Calaveras County Superior Court Department 3 courtroom, but mostly looked directly ahead.*

Barney Fowler, the father, and Crystal Fowler, the stepmother, were also present.

Nick Lang, 20, testified Wednesday he encountered a suspicious man sometime in April 2013, shortly before he heard of Leila’s death.

Lang said he attended a party in Lockeford with a friend and, as they were driving back to his friend’s house in Lodi, they got into an argument.

Lang got out of his friend’s vehicle near Victor and continued to Lodi on foot.

As he was walking, Lang said he was approached by a caucasian man with long hair carrying a kitchen knife.

“He told me he was walking from Valley Springs,” Lang said. “He said people were getting killed out there.”

Lang said the man was 5’8 to 5’9, had facial hair and was wearing torn clothing.

“He was pretty beat up,” he said.

Lang said he picked up a stick and kept a distance from the man because he felt “very uncomfortable.”

Lang was eventually picked up by his friend’s mother near Victor.

The next day, Lang found out Leila was killed.

Lang added that he has struggled with substance abuse problems in the past, but was not impaired that night.

Johannes Versendaal testified Wednesday that, on the day of the murder, he saw an “unusual” man in the area around 6 or 7 p.m.

At the time of Leila’s death, Versendaal lived on Hartvickson Lane, one street over from Leila’s home.

“I saw someone walking across my property,” he said. “He was acting very suspicious, as if he didn’t want to be seen.”

Versendaal said the man appeared to be Hispanic and was about 6 feet tall, with a stocky build.

He was clean-shaven and had short black hair.

As the man walked down his driveway, Versendaal said he went outside to try to get the attention of Calaveras County Sheriff’s Office volunteers.

The man fled the area.

“He sped off,” Versendaal said. “And that was the last time I saw him.”

Kelly Panzarino, one of Leila’s neighbors, testified Wednesday that around the time Leila was killed, she saw a man in the area who “stood out.”

Panzarino said as she and her husband were leaving their home to pick up their granddaughter when she noticed a man walking down Hartvickson Lane.

It was “unseasonably hot” that day, she said, and the man was wearing a long-sleeved shirt, dark jeans and boots.

She thought he was “overdressed for the conditions.”

Panzarino said the man was American-Indian, had shoulder-length black and white hair and appeared to be in his 50s.

He was between 5’10 and 6’0 and had a “very distinct” nose.

“His nose had like a hook to it,” Panzarino said.*

Panzarino said she described what the man looked like to a sketch artist, but said the artist seemed to get frustrated with her when the drawing did not match her description.

A 17-year-old girl testified Wednesday that she and a friend explored a vacant house near Leila’s home a week to a week and a half prior to Leila’s death.

The girl, who knows one of the defendant’s sisters, said she asked the defendant if he wanted to join.

He declined.

The girl said she and her friend entered the vacant house through an unlocked door connected to the garage.**

As they entered the house, the girl said there were newspapers scattered all over the living room floor.

In one of the rooms in the home, there was a television on the floor.

The girl said the television was plugged in and playing static.

“There were beer cans on the floor and a couple of water bottles,” she said.

In a bathroom of the home there was toilet paper in the toilet, the girl said.

The girls then entered the kitchen.

There, they found paper towels and an opened box of saltine crackers on the counter.

At that point, the girl said she heard an adult male’s voice say, “Get out.”

“That’s when we ran,” she said.

The girls fled to her house on Hartvickson Lane.

The girl did not see anyone in the house, but said the voice sounded like “regular English.”

Barney Fowler also took the stand Wednesday and testified that it was hot outside on the day Leila was killed.

He said Leila did not want to go to a Little League baseball game nearby, and the defendant watched her while the family was gone.

Fowler said the defendant was protective over Leila.

“He took care of her,” he said, and the two had a “better than normal” relationship.

The day Leila was murdered, Fowler said he and his wife, Crystal, received multiple calls from the defendant.

During one call, the defendant said Leila had a headache and asked what to do.

The next call, the defendant said an intruder had entered the home.

Fowler added that the defendant’s mother is not in the picture.

“He hasn’t spent the night at his mother’s house since he was 7 (or) 8 years old,” he said.

The crime was reported at 12:15 p.m. Leila was taken to Mark Twain Medical Center in San Andreas, where she was pronounced dead at 1:01 p.m.

The defendant was arrested May 11, 2013.*

He is not being tried as an adult.*

His trial, which began Sept. 15, is being held in open court due to a statute that allows juvenile murder trials to be public.

No jury will decide the case. Instead, Calaveras County Superior Court Judge Thomas A. Smith will deliver a verdict.

The trial is scheduled to resume today.
    Last edited by blighted star; 11-11-2015 at 01:17 AM.

They made out the "intruder" story wasbeyond ridiculous, but there was more than one sighting of unknown men in the neighbourhood, & there was this too

http://blogs.sacbee.com/crime/archiv...apartment.html
    April 30, 2013

UPDATE: Police investigating possible link between Placerville kidnapping, Calaveras slaying
    Placerville police are investigating a possible link between an alleged kidnapping in the city this morning and Saturday's fatal stabbing of a an 8-year-old girl in Calaveras County.

"We have no confirmed nexus to the Calaveras County case," said Placerville police Capt. Mike Scott. But he said Placerville officers have been in communication with Calaveras County law enforcement officials following the arrest of 44-year-old Jason Wayrynen. Scott said a DNA sample also has been collected from Wayrynen.

Wayrynen, whose last known address was off Paul Bunyon Road in Camino, allegedly entered a Placerville apartment uninvited this morning and took a 15-month-old girl from her mother.
    Police were called to an apartment in the 2800 block of Schnell School Road at 8:03 a.m. The caller said that a man she did not know was inside her apartment and threatening to take a child who was in the residence. Dispatchers were told that the child's mother was struggling with the suspect, according to a Police Department news release.

When police officers and El Dorado County sheriff's deputies arrived, they found the man, later identified as Wayrynen, still inside the apartment and took him into custody.

They were told that Wayrynen, who was not known to any of the apartment occupants, had followed the original caller into the apartment uninvited. He reportedly focused his attention on the 15-month-old girl, forcibly taking her from her mother and holding the child to the ground.

The mother was able to wrestle her daughter away from Wayrynen and put her in a bedroom where other children were hiding. The mother reportedly closed the door and fought with Wayrynen to prevent him from entering the bedroom until officers arrived.

Scott said there are some similarities between Wayrynen and the description of the suspect in the death of Leila Fowler of Valley Springs. The girl's 12-year-old brother reportedly came upon an intruder in the house about noon while the parents were away, Calaveras County sheriff's deputies said. The intruder then fled and the brother found his sister with stab wounds.

Wayrynen was booked into El Dorado County Jail on suspicion of kidnapping and burglary. Anyone who has had recent contact with Wayrynen or who has information pertaining to the case is asked to call the Placerville Police Department at (530) 642-5280 and refer to Case No. 13-540.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    I didn't think that he would be convicted on such scanty evidence.

Scary, isn't it?

He was 12 yrs old, police were on the scene quickly, yet he supposedly cleaned up himself & the scenbe so well, & so fast that police spent days looking for an intruder - & if he did wash up, how do they explain is obviously unwashed bare feet? If he washed up they'd have been clean. If he was wearing shoes over his dirty feet & discarded them before police arrived, where did he hide them so well & so quickly?

& there was the unknown male DNA. I wish I knew how that was discounted at trial.
    Last edited by blighted star; 11-12-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Had to close the case obviously.... doesn't have to be realistic. Doesn't have to stand up to much more than scanty looking at. I cant understand how he was convicted, maybe the prove he was innocent was suppressed in the same way Aussie courts suppress evidence the perp has done it before multiple times.

We don't know what evidence was excluded prior to trial. The excluded evidence most certainly had to do with Isiah's behavior before that day - signs and cues regarding the boy's behavior and attitudes (the judge talked a little about this when he ruled Isiah guilty and sentenced him to 8 years after saying he was convinced beyond a reasonable doubt ) Plus all the other comments that were made right after the murder about the boy being a little violent. I think I listed some of those comments somewhere in this thread.

I still think the brother killed his sister. Why would an intruder break in to kill one kid, but not the other?
    Why would he get a knife in the house, kill her with it ON TOP OF HER BUNK BED... then after the 14 prods to her body...then take it back down to the kitchen and wash it?

There was blood that only showed up on the Luminol tests proving that somebody tried to clean up. And there was blood in the plumbing drains.

There is a gap in when the girl was murder up to when 911 and the parents were called. Even by the def's timeline...at least 15 minutes. The state says 2 hours.

Plus, Isiah sounds like he's one of those emerging sociopaths. He likes to give advice to others on how to hurt somebody.

20 stab wounds to her upper body while on the top bunk of her bed,
    20-plus puncture wounds and lacerations. The majority, 14, were described as prod injuries. Lawrence said a prod injury doesn't penetrate deeply and may have been caused by an assailant poking Leila Fowler to intimidate or abuse her.

Lawrence said the wounds are consistent with a knife that's 1/8 of an inch thick, with a flat back and a sharp edge.
    Prosecutors are building their case around a J. A. Henckels serrated steak knife seized from the home. The knife has a bent blade and damaged point
    From the judge
    ?Leila's DNA on the knife is the strongest evidence and Isiah's statements don't make sense," Smith said before relatives, media and law enforcement at the Calaveras County Courthouse. "I'm convinced beyond a reasonable doubt."
    http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/n...56710e0ef.html

Luminol hits in the hall bathroom across from Leila's room indicate an attempt to clean up,

Possible traces of blood were found in the home's plumbing.

Heather Waller, a former deputy probation officer at the juvenile detention center in El Dorado County where Isiah was being held, filed a report after hearing the then 13-year-old speaking with an older juvenile.

The juvenile was having problems with his ex-girlfriend having a new boyfriend, Waller said. According to her report, Isiah advised the teen should wear a mask and beat his rival with a baseball bat because it wouldn't leave DNA evidence.
    http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/n...a423844ae.html

None of that's very convincing of guilt. You'd expect a 12 yr old who found a stabbing victim to make confused statements. Moreso if that stabbing victim was someone they cared about. Witnessing, or being on the scene immediately after a violent asault or murder leaves grown adults in shock. This was a kid.

The number of wounds makes it even harder to understand how the hell he supposedly had the time to not only clean up so well that no-one suspected him at the time, but also had the time & the foresight to re-dirty his feet in a way that made them look like authentic dirty feet that hadn't been washed all day.

The knife being from the home means nothing - it's standard behaviour in disorganised crimes for kilers to find something at the scene.

& the luminol hits were in the bathroom? Don't cleaning supplies, mouthwash etc frequently cause luminol hits? Did they find actual traces of human blood - her blood, in the sink & drains? Or did they just mention the luminol hits to make people think they did?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11512147

http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...lood_detection

& the last bit? He probably saw it on CSI or something & said it as a joke - like we say shit on MDS.

This all makes me feel worse for this kid. There's no evidence he did this & there was UNKNOWN male DNA found on a hair under her body.

This is a bad conviction.

I know this is old but it doesn't add up to me. People like to believe that children can't commit heinous crimes and they don't have the mental capacity to understand what's happening. I feel this is untrue kids are very sneaky. The boy was 12 not 6. He is fully aware of what is right and what's wrong. The real issue is that people don't believe a child can do something like this. There was no forced entry into the home and the intruder was over powered by a 12 year old and had time to clean off a knife? 🤔 Also why didn't he run to a neighbors for help? 🤔 Seems that he may have called the parents first, why not 911? Did the step mom actually hear Leila or went off what the brother said? The lack of emotion is very questionable ,esp if they were so close.🤔 Why would the intruder specifically target this house in broad daylight? Why would the intruder poke her a lot and then stab her? A random little girl that he doesn't know. What 12 year old boy just openly volunteers to watch his little sister?🤔 I feel that the brother has been molesting her and she threatened to tell. The fact that he told another juvenile while was locked up to wear a mask and commit a crime shows that he is well aware of precautions to take to cover up evidence. I don't feel like he was holding it together and being strong he didn't care because he basically got away with it and majority of people were supporting and defending his innocence. I won't be surprised if he grows up to commit other crimes.

From the above article :
    'Fowler's father told his son during the interview with investigators, in part:

"This is the deal, they have evidence that points back to you ... what I want us to talk about is that for some reason there was an accident and for some reason you did hurt your sister, you got to talk to him. Now just tell him, 'Yes, you did it,' and what the deal is. We can't move forward with this, without you either admitting to it that you did it or they're gonna get their evidence together and they're still gonna come and (eventually) arrest you and it's gonna be a big scene ... (There's) no proof that anybody else has entered our home. So basically everything comes back to you."

Wow. I don't think the brother did it.

Thread Information