Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Asshole Politician of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by KambingSociety View Post
    https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...sswomen-racist

You know Trump is being called out for being an Asshole when even Fox News is criticizing him.

What does this quote from the article mean???

Politics is not beanbag

Nvm, he's talked about beanbag weapons vs lethal force in the past so I assume he's trying to make a (really stupid) analogy about behaviour in politics

As of yesterday the western world now has to deal with the Terrible Three - Trump, Scott Morrison in Aus & Boris Johnson in the UK. Basically we're all fucked.

That said, I'm going to focus on smaller scale political destruction right now, namely one door & one career.

Victorian Labor MP Will Fowles allegedly destroys door in ?rage? at Canberra hotel

Former journalist Kellie Sloane has revealed why a Labor MP ?flew into a rage? at a Canberra hotel this morning, smashing down a door.

Former journalist Kellie Sloane has spoken about the explosive incident involving a Victorian Labor MP at a Canberra hotel this morning, revealing why Will Fowles ?flew into a rage?.

Mr Fowles, who represents Burwood in Victoria?s state parliament, destroyed a door at Abode Apartments in the suburb of Kingston in an attempt to access his luggage, claiming the hotel was unlawfully holding his bags.

Ms Sloane was also staying at the hotel - she and some other guests were stranded outside in subzero temperatures during the incident. She spoke to a security guard about Mr Fowles? ?extraordinary? behaviour.

?The issue was that he?d come down to check out of the hotel and there was no one at reception,? she told the Sky News program The Kenny Report this afternoon.

Reception was not due to open until 8am, and Mr Fowles had a flight booked for 9am. His luggage was locked behind a door.

?He got quite distressed about that. The security guard said he flew into a rage. You can see the evidence - he kicked down the door to the luggage area,? Ms Sloane said.

?He caused a lot of destruction there.?

Kellie Sloane
    @kelliesloane
    So here?s the latest. A politician (I don?t know who) has gone into a rage after discovering he couldn?t access his luggage. Police say he?s now calmed down but is facing charges.

8:33 AM - Jul 25, 2019

Mr Fowles, still in an agitated state, then headed back upstairs to his room, though Ms Sloane and the security guard did not know exactly where he?d gone at the time.

?We were concerned about the other people in the building,? she said.

?We thought it was someone who?d just gone nuts, and we didn?t know where he?d gone. As it turns out, he was in his room.

?He was claiming that the hotel had unlawfully held his bags. At that point he was still upset, and it took him about 20 minutes to calm down. And then the hotel manager showed up.?

Abode Apartments in Kingston, Canberra. Picture: AAP/Mick TsikasSource:AAP

Ms Sloane said she couldn?t speculate about why Mr Fowles? behaviour was so volatile, as until today she knew nothing about him.

She did not recognise the state politician as he left the building a short time after the incident ?looking embarrassed?.

As he passed members of the media, he said: ?How the f*** did they get here so fast??

Police stopped Ms Sloane from taking pictures of Mr Fowles, but media photographers captured him getting into a police car. He was then taken in for questioning.

She said the first officers on the scene had earlier described him as ?a piece of work?.

Will Fowles leaving Abode Apartments in Kingston. Picture: Sean Davey/The AustralianSource:Supplied

Will Fowles getting into a police car. Picture: Sean Davey/The AustralianSource:News Corp Australia

?It?s extraordinary behaviour for anybody, but for a member of parliament, he has a lot of questions to answer about how he manages situations,? Ms Sloane said.

?There?s this huge gaping hole in the door.?

Mr Fowles has since flown to Melbourne, and is expected to make a comprehensive statement this afternoon. There are suggestions he should resign.

?This morning I made a very bad mistake. I apologise unreservedly,? he briefly told reporters at Melbourne Airport.

?This has been a very distressing morning and I will make a full statement later today.?

Reporters continued to ask him questions as he walked out of the terminal to his waiting car.

Mr Fowles said nothing further. Picture: Mark StewartSource:News Corp Australia

"I made A mistake"

Nah, dude, the number of pieces of door on the floor says you made about 100.

https://abc7.com/politics/chicago-ma...t-mic/5419012/

CHICAGO -- Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot is responding to fallout over a comment she made that was picked up by a hot mic, calling a police union official a "clown."

"I am sorry that I said it out loud," Lightfoot said.

The mayor made the remark as the first-vice president of Chicago's Fraternal Order of Police walked up to speak at Wednesday's City Council meeting.

Patrick Murray was disputing the recent firing of four officers over the Laquan McDonald investigation.

The Fraternal Order of Police released a statement, saying "Mayor Lightfoot's contemptuous remark is a misguided and dangerous thing to say to a 30-year veteran police officer and FOP representative... particularly at a time when the city is facing such chronic violent crime."

I'm not clear on who the arsehole's supposed to be in this incident

https://patch.com/north-carolina/cha...-congresswomen

CHEROKEE COUNTY, NC — A North Carolina gun shop has stirred controversy and come under fire by critics after it erected a billboard with photos of four freshmen Congresswomen. The sign for Cherokee Guns in Murphy, North Carolina, shows the photos of Reps. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Rashida Tlaib of Michigan and Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts. Above their faces, "The 4 Horsemen are Idiots," it said.

The sign quickly drew the ire of gun control advocates, with one group calling the message "anti-government violent rhetoric."

"Threats against members of Congress, particularly minority members are [increasing] and it is driven by the president's racial rhetoric," the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence said in a Facebook post. "This is dangerous!!!"

The sign comes close on the heels of sharp attacks made by President Trump targeting the four progressive Congresswomen, who he calls "The Squad." In late July, he said the women — who are all U.S. citizens — should "go back" to their countries and that they were "a very Racist group of troublemakers who are young, inexperienced, and not very smart," Politico reported.

The president's rhetoric, widely criticized as racist because all four are women of color, continued at a recent Trump rally in Greenville, North Carolina. During the event, the crowd chanted "Send her back," in reference to Omar. "Once you start telling American citizens to go back to your own countries, this tells you that this president's policies are not about immigration, it's about ethnicity and racism," Ocasio-Cortez said following the event.

A photo of the billboard posted July 28 on the gun shop's Facebook page had generated more than 1,000 comments by Thursday, both supporting and condemning its message.

"Love it. This made my day," said one sign supporter. "You should print them off," said another. "I'll take at least 100 copies for the range."

"I'm sure you consider this funny and somehow patriotic," one person wrote. "But these four women were duly elected by their constituents. They are members of the United States Congress. This billboard is hateful and dangerous."

"I see nothing good coming out of this," said another. "Somebody's going to get hurt or killed."

Despite sharp rebukes, the shop is doubling down on the message, saying on its Facebook page it would have bumper stickers with the billboard image available next week. "Alright my fellow Infidels for Trump...due to OVERWHELMING demand...you may come by the shop (next week) and get your very own FOUR HORSEMEN COMETH STICKER...simple...eat a piece of bacon...tell us you're voting for Trump in 2020...then get your limited edition bumper sticker!!" it said.

Pretty sure the gun shop owner isn't a politician, so what was your reasoning for putting it here?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    Pretty sure the gun shop owner isn't a politician, so what was your reasoning for putting it here?
    It started out from a rant from Trump.

https://apnews.com/434ead07f1d64a24aa467291602b7717

WASHINGTON (AP) — Freshman Democratic Rep. Andy Kim came face to face with impeachment fervor at a town hall in New Jersey. “Do your job!” shouted one voter.

Several states away, a woman held up a copy of special counsel Robert Mueller’s report and told freshman Rep. Elissa Slotkin at a Michigan town hall she hoped she would “be the person that puts us over the top to start an impeachment inquiry.”

And in semi-rural Virginia, newcomer Rep. Abigail Spanberger encountered voters with questions, if not resolve, about impeaching President Donald Trump.

“I don’t have blood dripping from my fangs for or against impeachment,” said David Sussan, 70, a retired U.S. Postal inspector from Chesterfield, who favors starting an inquiry. “I just want the truth to come out.”

It’s these freshman lawmakers, and others like them, who will likely decide when, if ever, House Democrats start formal efforts to impeach the president.

Neither Kim, nor Slotkin, nor Spanberger supports impeachment. But with half the House Democrats now in favor of beginning an inquiry, the pressure will only mount on the holdouts to reach a tipping point. And with lawmakers returning home to voters during the August recess, what happens next may prove pivotal.

The pro-impeachment group Need to Impeach is running television ads and, along with activists from other groups, fanning out to congressional districts to push lawmakers, and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, to move more swiftly toward impeachment proceedings.

The organization’s lead strategist Kevin Mack says his counsel to lawmakers, especially those new freshmen who took over formerly Republican-held seats, is to ignore the campaign consultants and party strategists, and “do what you think is right” about Trump.

“You can’t really make the argument he’s the most corrupt president in American history and not hold him accountable,” he said. “Either you think what he’s doing is OK or you hold him accountable.”

For lawmakers, though, the calculus is not so simple. Voters in many of these districts helped elect Trump in 2016, but flipped to give Democrats control of the House in last year’s election. Many of the first-term Democrats already face challengers for 2020 and are trying to balance the divergent views in their districts. While some voters want impeachment, others have different priorities.

New Jersey lawmaker Kim, a former national security official, told some 80 voters at a town hall in Riverside to remain even-keeled and to trust in the investigative process that House Democrats are pursuing.

“I don’t think getting caught up in the knife fighting and name calling is going help us get out of this pit,” Kim said.

That caused some from the crowd to retort that pursuing impeachment wasn’t “knife fighting” but part of the Constitution.

“Just do the investigation into impeachment,” said Marianne Clemente, of Barnegat. “Just so that we’re doing something” to show Trump he’ll be held accountable, she said. “If we let him get away with this, we can kiss our democracy goodbye.”

Among the loudest applause from the audience came when one constituent stood up and said Trump was “destroying our country.”

Another voter said the congressman’s focus on other issues, like health care, was like “cutting the grass while the house is on fire.”

In Spanberger’s Virginia district over the past week, she, too, fielded several questions about her stand on the impeachment inquiry as she crisscrossed the region for town hall events.

When she was asked about it in Culpeper, Spanberger told voters that she helped block an impeachment bill based on Trump’s racism because she did not believe that qualifies as “high crimes and misdemeanors” set out by the Constitution.

“My opinion and stance has long been that I believe in facts and evidence,” she said. “As long as the investigations are continuing, and we see my colleagues are continuing to gather information, I am watching very closely.”

Democrat Ron Artis, a retiree, seemed satisfied with the new congresswoman’s approach.

“If she was to come out without having enough people behind her, that stuff is suicidal,” he said.

And when Michigan lawmaker Slotkin faced the questioner armed with Mueller’s report, she told those gathered at the store in Mason about two recent moves by House Democrats that she sees as important — the special counsel’s testimony and House subpoenas of the Trump administration.

“I’m open to where this goes,” Slotkin said. “But I think that it is important that we do it in a way that communicates clearly what we are intending. And we do it in a way that doesn’t forget about the other part of our job, which is to legislate.”

One of those attending the event, Army veteran Joshua Johnson, 41, of Webberville, expressed some skepticism about impeachment and said Congress should keep investigating.

“I don’t know that impeaching the president is going to be a good thing,” he said. He worries the 2020 election is right around the corner, and any impeachment proceeding won’t get done “in time to make a difference.”

He added, “I think it might hurt more than it helps. ... It probably splits people worse.”

Pelosi has made it clear she has no plans to press toward impeachment without a groundswell of support on and off Capitol Hill.

The speaker, who was herself a newer congresswoman during Bill Clinton’s impeachment and rejected calls to impeach George W. Bush during her first speakership, is not eager for Democrats to take on such a politically, emotionally fraught issue alone.

So far, Pelosi’s effort to cater to the frontline freshmen appears to be holding House Democrats in line. Even though she gave lawmakers a greenlight after Mueller’s testimony to speak their minds on impeachment, and dozens of lawmakers announced their support for starting an inquiry, it’s still nowhere near the 218 votes Pelosi would need to pass legislation in the House.

The holdouts will likely determine what Pelosi does next.

___

Catalini reported from Riverside, N.J.; Lavoie from Chesterfield, Va.; Eggert from Mason, Mich. Associated Press writers Laurie Kellman in Culpeper, Va., and Mary Clare Jalonick in Washington contributed to this report.

Omfg. Biden is so fucking twisted. This should end him, but the world is currently fucked so it probably won't

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/artic...to-my-dead-son

Joe Biden: It Would Be an Insult to My Dead Son for Everyone to Have Healthcare

The former vice president released an ad invoking family tragedy and attacking rivals who have plans to ensure everyone has access to healthcare.

By Tim Marchman

Aug 27 2019, 8:55pm

In a new campaign ad, former vice president Joe Biden suggests that for all Americans to have healthcare would be an insult to his son, Beau Biden, who died of brain cancer in 2015. Watch for yourself:

(Vid at link)

Biden starts by relating the story of how his son died despite having access to quality healthcare via quality insurance. "Healthcare is personal to me," Biden says in the ad, over a sappy soundtrack and imagery of him looking vaguely prayerful, standing in front of a flag, and being patted on the back by Barack Obama. "Obamacare is personal to me. And when I see the president try to tear it down and others propose to replace it and start over, that's personal to me, too. We've got to build on what we did, because every American deserves affordable healthcare."

Campaign ads are a great exercise in offering lines to read between, and reading between them here yields three items of interest. One is the "others propose" language, an obvious swipe at Democratic rivals who support Medicare for All. The second is the word "affordable," a nod to the idea that healthcare should be treated as a consumer product-though one better-regulated than Donald Trump would like it to be, to be sure-rather than a human right.

The third is the phrase "start over."

Biden, whose plan would not cover everyone, has repeatedly suggested that Medicare for All would represent "starting over," which he has said would be a "sin." The more generous read here is that he's saying he doesn't think it would be worth doing a lot of political work to get a better system in place, that his son benefitted from various provisions in the Affordable Care Act (making this personal to him), and that mainly he wants to communicate the idea that on principle, everyone having access to affordable healthcare would be good. The less-generous read-and given that he's said Medicare for All would involve a "hiatus" of some sort up to three years, it's not all that ungenerous-is that he wants people to think that implementing Medicare for All would involve blowing up the healthcare system as it stands and leaving people with no health insurance for some period. (In fact it would cover every person in the U.S., with no lapse in coverage.)

In all, the ad is saying that healthcare is personal to Joe Biden because his son died; that as a father, he believes the best and most legitimate way to honor his dead son's legacy would be to implement further incremental regulatory reform, along the lines of what Barack Obama did; and that people who disagree and think that radical reform is necessary-among them, presumably, the 80 percent or so of Democrats who say it's important to nominate a presidential candidate who supports Medicare for All-are dishonoring his son's legacy. A hell of a pitch!
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-27-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar
    https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ruu-story.html

A lawyer and former prosecutor who until days ago was running for a Seminole County judge seat was arrested this week in the statutory rape of a teen girl who had been working on his campaign.

Andrew John Jones, 40, was arrested Monday on three counts of unlawful sexual activity by a person 24 years or older with a person 16 or 17 years of age, records show. Jones is accused of engaging in multiple sexual acts with the teen girl, then buying her the Plan B contraceptive pill the next day, according to his arrest warrant.

Days before a warrant was filed for his arrest, Jones withdrew from the 2020 race for Seminole County judge in Group 6, for which he had amassed a war chest of about $170,000. He previously worked as an Assistant State Attorney for the 18th Judicial Circuit, which includes Seminole County, from 2006 until he resigned in 2012, according to the Circuit’s spokesman Todd Brown. Jones currently works for the practice of John Edwards Jones, a private law firm based in Casselberry, according to The Florida Bar. Andrew Jones also sits on the board of directors for the Casselberry Chamber of Commerce.

A request for comment from Jones’ attorney, Mark O’Mara, was not immediately answered Tuesday. A representative for the John Edwards Jones firm declined to comment on the arrest.

In the evening of Aug. 16, Seminole County sheriff’s detectives said Andrew Jones had the teen girl, who was not identified in arrest documents, over at his house.

After helping him with campaign work that evening, the teen told investigators that the attorney began “kissing and making out with her and put his arms around her,” the arrest warrant says. Jones and the teen then went upstairs to his bedroom, where they engaged in multiple sex acts, including unprotected sex, according to the warrant.

The next day, while helping Jones with more campaign work, the girl said the judicial candidate asked if she was on birth control and she told him she was not. Jones then drove her to CVS Pharmacy where he bought her the Plan B contraceptive pill, which she took, the warrant said.

Sheriff’s investigators were able to test the teen’s clothing from the night of the alleged sex acts, finding semen on her jeans that matched the DNA profile of Jones, the warrant said.

Jones was arrested Monday and booked into Seminole County jail. He posted his $150,000 bail early Tuesday. Any sexual act between someone over the age of 24 with someone aged 16 or 17 is not consensual under Florida law.

Jones had raised more than $70,000 in outside contributions for his campaign for the Seminole County Judge seat, the most of the five registered candidates, election records show. He had also loaned his campaign $100,000. He withdrew from the race Aug. 26, four days after the teen girl was interviewed by sheriff’s investigators.

In his letter of resignation, he said his contributors would be reimbursed.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/18/us/pe...ges/index.html

Pennsylvania State Sen. Michael Folmer is facing charges of possession of child pornography, Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro said Tuesday in a news release.
    Authorities found images of child pornography on the Republican senator's phone after executing a search warrant Tuesday inside his Lebanon, Pennsylvania, home, the release said.

An investigation was launched after a tip reported that Tumblr had discovered a user who uploaded an image of child pornography using the application, the release said. Further investigation led to Folmer's home, it said.

"This defendant serves as a state Senator and was entrusted to honor and represent his community in the Pennsylvania Capitol," Shapiro said in a statement.
    Folmer was charged Tuesday with sexual abuse of children, possession of child pornography and criminal use of a communication facility.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...dce_story.html

Roger Stone guilty on all counts of lying to Congress, witness tampering

A federal jury on Friday convicted longtime Trump confidant Roger Stone of tampering with a witness and lying to Congress about his efforts to learn of hacked Democratic emails during the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

The panel of nine women and three men deliberated for less than two days before finding Stone, 67, guilty on all seven counts resulting from his September 2017 testimony to the House Intelligence Committee, which was investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election and the Kremlin’s efforts to damage Donald Trump’s Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton.

Stone, in a gray-blue suit, stood at the defense table with his left hand in his pants pocket, watching impassively as the verdicts were read. He sighed and frowned as he left the courtroom, offering a half-smile to reporters who had covered the proceedings, while his wife hugged crying supporters.
    LOCK HIM UP, LOCK HIM UP!

https://abc7.com/la-councilman-jose-...probe/6261864/

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar was arrested and taken into federal custody on Tuesday, making him the fifth person to be charged in an ongoing federal investigation into bribery and corruption at City Hall.

Huizar, 51, has served on the council since 2005 and is now facing a racketeering charge that alleges he used his position to leverage bribes and "other financial benefits," according to the U.S. District Attorney. He is suspected of conspiring to accept roughly $1.5 million in bribes from developers in exchange for his support in certain real estate projects in the city.

He made an appearance in federal court on Tuesday by video conference and was ordered by a judge to be released on $100,000 bond.

The single count of conspiring to violate the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, or RICO, could land the Democratic politician up to 20 years in federal prison.

FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller says agents arrested Councilman Jose Huizar without incident early Tuesday at his Boyle Heights home. The mayor and other city leaders have been calling for Huizar to resign since his former special assistant agreed to plead guilty in a $1 million bribery scheme involving real estate developers.

"While today's announcement on the arrest of Councilmember Huizar is not unexpected, the horrendous and disgusting allegations leveled against him and others have painted a dark cloud over our City government for a long time now," said a statement issued by Council President Nury Martinez shortly after this arrest. The council later voted unanimously to suspend him from office in light of the charges.

Officials said the investigation uncovered a massive criminal enterprise that included bribes, fraud extortion and money laundering. The complaint alleged that while he chaired the City Council's powerful Planning and Land Use Management Committee, Huizar decided which projects lived and which died, allegedly accepting money from developers. One of the projects was a 77-story building.

"The amount of alleged bribes is also staggering. In one scheme alone, one developer provided $500,000 in cash in brown paper bags," said U.S. Attorney Nick Hanna during a press conference Tuesday.

In 2018, Huizar was stripped of council assignments after federal agents served a search warrant at Huizar's home in Boyle Heights. During the search of his home, agents discovered and seized nearly $130,000 in cash that was stashed in his closet. Last month, former Huizar aide George Esparza, 33, agreed to plead to a count of racketeering conspiracy, which could carry a maximum 20-year prison term, according to prosecutors.

Esparza, who left his city job in 2018, acknowledged in his plea agreement that from 2013 to 2018, he and a person identified in documents as "Councilmember A" were involved in a scheme to sell influence to several developers, including the billionaire head of a Chinese company who wanted to build a 77-story downtown skyscraper.

Esparza was the fourth person to agree to plead guilty in the LA corruption probe. The others include a real estate developer, political fundraiser and a former councilman, Mitchell Englander.

Englander is accused of obstructing an investigation into tens of thousands of dollars in cash, female escort services and other perks.

https://www.wesh.com/article/seminol...berg/32962333#

Joel Greenberg of Florida is indicted for stalking his political opponent and making false rape allegations on Brian Beute who is running for Florida Tax Collector.

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. —
    Seminole County Tax Collector Joel Greenberg has resigned after federal prosecutors indicted him for allegedly stalking a political opponent.

According to the attorney that represents the Seminole County tax collector’s office, Joel Greenberg has resigned. It’s unclear if the resignation means Greenberg is also abandoning his reelection campaign.

Federal prosecutors said in an indictment that Greenberg created fake social media accounts that falsely suggested a political opponent who worked at a Central Florida school favored white supremacy and had engaged in sexual misconduct with a student.

An indictment unsealed Tuesday in federal court in Orlando shows that Seminole County Tax Collector Joel Greenberg faces federal counts of stalking and unlawful use of the identity of another person.

The indictment said Greenberg mailed false letters to the school where his opponent teaches. He pretended the letters were sent by a “very concerned student” who had information that his opponent had engaged in sexual misconduct with a student.

The attorney for Brian Beute, the victim in the case, said in an email on Wednesday, “the easy thing would have been to back down and let the bully have his way."

Instead, Beute said he is committed to staying in the race for Seminole County tax collector. His attorney said Beute and his family were living under the trepidation of what the next step in Greenberg’s scheme against them would be.

He said Greenberg “weaponized the most heinous false allegation possible, knowing that simply making it public would ruin Brian's career and life."

The attorney says his client and his family are happy the U.S. Attorney pursued the case, saying they had been living with a nightmare for some time.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...onent/2252897/

Here is another allegation on Greenberg

A Florida tax collector created fake social media accounts that falsely suggested a political opponent favored white supremacy and had engaged in sexual misconduct with a student at a school where he teaches, federal prosecutors said Tuesday.

Seminole County Tax Collector Joel Greenberg faces federal counts of stalking and unlawful use of the identity of another person, according to an indictment unsealed Tuesday in federal court in Orlando.

The indictment said Greenberg mailed fake letters to his opponent's school signed by a nonexistent “very concerned student" who alleged the opponent had engaged in sexual misconduct with another student.
    Greenberg, 35, also used his opponent's name and photo to create a fake Twitter account on which he posted statements in favor of white supremacy, the indictment said. It also alleges that he created a fake Facebook account in which he posed as a “very concerned teacher” who repeated the allegation about sexual misconduct with the student.

“There’s probably no more terrible thing you can do than accuse someone who works at a school of sexual misconduct,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Roger Handberg said at a hearing Tuesday, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Prosecutors didn’t name Greenberg's opponent in court filings or during a hearing, but Greenberg’s defense lawyer confirmed in court that the person is running against him in the Republican primary.

Greenberg was released from federal custody shortly after the hearing. Defense attorney Vincent Citro said Greenberg denies the charges.

“We look forward to going to trial. The government will not be able to prove its case,” Citro said. “They made a federal case out of misusing Twitter and this case doesn’t belong in federal court.”

Greenberg was criticized by Muslim leaders and Democrats in 2018 when he posted on his personal Facebook page, “Very simple question...Name just ONE society in the developed world that has benefited in ANY WAY from the introduction of more Muslims. Just one. Asking for a friend.” At the time, Greenberg said he was asking the question on behalf of radio host Neil Boortz, who had posted a similar question.

Greenberg was elected to office in the Orlando suburb in 2016.

Prior to this allegation Joel Greenberg was sued for racism against Muslims

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opin...2qu-story.html

The Orlando Sentinel’s editorial board video-interviewed one of two Republican candidates for Seminole County tax collector this week, J.R. Kroll.

The other candidate, Brian Beute, didn’t sit in. He’s collateral damage in Joel Greenberg’s scorched-earth re-election campaign.

Greenberg, who until recently was the incumbent tax collector, is under federal indictment, accused of posing as a “very concerned student” in fake letters to the private school where Beute teaches, falsely accusing him of sexual misconduct.

As if sexual assault on kids wasn’t enough, the feds say Greenberg falsely wrote that Beute was “a segregationist and in favor of white supremacy.”

The indictment says Greenberg also posted the phony accusations on fake Twitter and Facebook accounts.

None of it is true, according to the indictment. It’s all fabricated. But now Beute — the victim in this sordid episode — feels he can’t sit in on a routine editorial board interview “out of an abundance of caution,” he said in a written statement.

Greenberg, who has pleaded not guilty, ended his campaign and resigned from office before Gov. Ron DeSantis could suspend him, assuming DeSantis had planned to do so.

Good riddance. Greenberg was the worst elected official in recent Central Florida memory, and that’s saying something. His behavior was arrogant, reckless, untrustworthy and ridiculous. And he was a terrible steward of the public’s money.

In this election season, Greenberg’s wrecking-ball tenure is a reminder of what’s at stake, even in races that might seem as innocuous and inconsequential as tax collector, essentially an administrative function.

Greenberg was elected in 2016 — the year of the Trump — at the age of 31. He spent nearly $200,000 of his own money to defeat longtime incumbent Ray Valdes, who had served beyond his expiration date.

It was a bad choice of candidates but Seminole County voters picked the greater of two evils — Greenberg, who wasted no time proving it:

A few months after his election, Greenberg decides he doesn’t like his free office space and moved to new digs that cost $9,200 a month.
    A couple of months after that he lets the county know he’s hiring 19 new employees at a cost of about $500,000 annually.
    In June 2017 he decides employees should be able to openly carry firearms.
    Later that summer, armed and wearing a “tax collector” badge, he bans from his offices a county commissioner he was miffed at.
    Greenberg closes out 2017 by following and pulling over a woman he thought was speeding so he could scold her.
    The tables are turned at the start of 2018 when Greenberg is pulled over for speeding and tries to use his public position to get out of a ticket.
    About that same time the state puts an end to a scheme in which Greenberg wanted to sell off tax collector branch offices and invest in shopping centers.
    Later that year he takes to Facebook to insult Muslims.
    In late 2019, the Sentinel reveals that Greenberg has been handing out lucrative contracts and jobs to pals, business associates and buds who were in his wedding party.
    In the course of a few short years, Greenberg spends so much money that he’s returning nearly $5 million less each year in excess fees to the county, money that would otherwise be spent on roads, libraries and trails.

That’s some kind of record in less than one full term.

And yet, until he was indicted on charges of stalking and identity theft, Greenberg was going to run again.

But who would support the re-election of a person who had proved so completely that he was unfit for office, including his betrayal of the bedrock conservative principle of fiscal responsibility?

Chris Dorworth, for one. The Ballard Partners lobbyist, River Cross developer and former state lawmaker from Seminole gave Greenberg $1,000, according to a campaign finance report filed on June 10.

So did Dorworth’s friend Matt Gaetz, the Panhandle Republican congressman whose $1,000 contribution shows up on the same report.

Their contributions were made before Greenberg’s indictment, but his shortcomings as a public servant, his betrayal of the voters’ trust by acting in his own self-interest instead of the public’s, should have been an unforgivable sin.

We’re glad Greenberg’s out of office, and we hope he stays gone. He embodies nearly everything that’s gone astray in politics.

Electing the wrong person can damage the public trust, waste public money and harm people who have done nothing wrong.

Just ask Brian Beute.

In this editorial Joel Greenberg has more scandals than even President Trump according to Orlando Sentinel.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...d2i-story.html

As former Seminole County Tax Collector Joel Greenberg stood in a federal courtroom in Orlando last month while a grand jury indictment against him was unsealed, U.S. Secret Service agents arrived at the office he kept on the second floor of a former bank building in Lake Mary.

It’s unclear what the agents were looking for, but it’s a signal that the investigation into Greenberg reaches beyond the charges he now faces: stalking and stealing the identity of a political opponent and, in a second indictment filed this week, four counts of using his office to create fake driver licenses for himself.

Greenberg was elected in 2016 as a newcomer to Seminole County’s political scene, and his term was quickly marred by controversies — from anti-Muslim social media posts to lucrative contracts given to close friends and using his office to set up a blockchain business.

A federal investigation began as early as April 2019 — six months before the crimes Greenberg is now charged with are even alleged to have occurred, a lawyer for Greenberg confirmed last month.

The mystery deepened last week when the name of Greenberg’s alleged stalking victim and political opponent, Brian Beute, turned up in a report released by Graphika, one of the nation’s premier social media monitoring and disinformation tracking companies. The report detailed how Roger Stone, self-described “dirty trickster” and longtime ally of President Donald Trump, engaged a network on Facebook that harassed political opponents and critics.

One of the “assets” identified by Facebook as working on behalf of Stone shared content on social media about Beute similar to the smears Greenberg is accused of spreading.

The nature of Greenberg’s relationship with that “asset,” a far-right blogger based in Orlando, is unclear. It’s also unknown if Greenberg had any relationship with Stone, whose prison sentence was commuted last week by Trump, beyond an old selfie posted to Twitter on July 8, 2017. Greenberg, arm outstretched, captured the image of himself next to Stone and U.S. Congressman Matt Gaetz, R-Fort Walton Beach.

“Great catching up with @mattgaetz and @RogerJStoneJr,” he wrote.

Brian Beiber, a white-collar defense attorney with GrayRobinson who is representing the tax collector’s office, referred questions about the ongoing federal investigation to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Florida, but confirmed the Secret Service agents’ visit to Greenberg’s Lake Mary office.

“They came to the office, and we collectively cooperated,” Bieber said.

A spokesman for U.S. Attorney Maria Chapa Lopez declined to answer questions about the recent visit to Greenberg’s office or the nature of the investigation.

Vince Citro, Greenberg’s personal white collar defense attorney, also declined to comment. He has previously said the government will be unable to prove the charges against Greenberg, who has pleaded not guilty. Court documents filed this week indicated that Citro and partner Mark Horwitz had tried to arrange a meeting with investigators for months before the first indictment was unsealed but were rebuffed.
    Connection to Stone network?

The first indictment alleges that Greenberg, who resigned from office the day after he was arrested and dropped his bid for re-election this November, posed as a “concerned student” to send letters to the school where Beute works as a teacher falsely accusing him of sexual misconduct with a student. Greenberg also created fake social media accounts to pose as Beute or others to try to discredit him, authorities allege.

Beute, a Republican candidate for tax collector, teaches at a private school and is the founder of an environmental group to save rural land in Seminole County. Through his attorney, he declined to comment about the case.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Roger Handberg said in court that investigators found Greenberg’s fingerprints and DNA on the letters and traced the fake social media accounts to his computer’s IP address.

If convicted, Greenberg could face up to a decade in prison.

Three days before Greenberg’s arrest, the Facebook page for the far-right blog Central Florida Post, identified as part of the Stone network, shared a video partially titled “Creepy Brian Beute strikes again.” The video, which has since been removed by Facebook along with the entire Central Florida Post page, was shared by an account with the username “April Goad.”

According to Graphika, “April Goad” was one in a network of fake accounts that boosted Central Florida Post and other pro-Stone content on Facebook.

The report by Graphika, titled “Facebook’s Roger Stone Takedown: Facebook Removes Inauthentic Network Related to Political Operative,” pointed to examples from the Central Florida Post, which appeared to use its Facebook page to defend the hate group Proud Boys and to promote Stone. Central Florida Post founder Jacob Engels is an “associate” of Stone, according to court documents.

Engels declined to answer questions about why his Central Florida Post Facebook page posted a video attacking Beute, Greenberg’s political opponent.

He also did not answer questions about how he knows Greenberg and referred a reporter to his attorney, Thomas Sommerville, a criminal defense lawyer.

“I really don’t feel like I want to comment,” Engels said.
    [Popular on OrlandoSentinel.com] Central Florida coronavirus cases county-by-county ?

Sommerville also declined to comment.

Engels has posted pro-Greenberg content over the years, including a post on June 2, two weeks before he was first indicted by a federal grand jury, that highlighted Greenberg’s accomplishments.

“One of the youngest constitutional officers in the United States, Greenberg’s time as Tax Collector has been marked with sweeping reforms and the end of a culture of corruption ...,” Engels wrote.

On May 1, 2019, Engels posted a photo of Greenberg’s headshot next to puppies and wrote, “Seminole County Tax Collector Joel Greenberg is doing his part to help place some really cute doggies in their forever homes this weekend.”

Another headline from Engels dated April 3, 2017, read, “Greenberg Ends Crooked Profiteering In Seminole County Tax Office.”

And, in 2016, Engels filed a police report alleging that Valdes, Greenberg’s opponent at the time, assaulted Engels as he tried to ask him questions at an event. But State Attorney Phil Archer did not file charges against Valdes and noted it was clear from videos of the incident and interviews with those involved that “Mr. Engels was seeking a confrontation with Mr. Valdes in order to obtain a negative reaction which could be recorded.”
    Greenberg’s rise and fall

Greenberg grew up in west Seminole County and his father, Andrew Greenberg, started Greenberg Dental in the 1980s, which now has 92 offices across Florida. Joel Greenberg was just 31 years old when he unseated Valdes, the longtime tax collector and Republican favorite, in the party primary in August 2016. Greenberg then defeated a write-in candidate in the November general election.

Greenberg used his own money from his family’s dental fortune to rail against Valdes, claiming that the Tax Collector’s office used antiquated technologies, wait times were too long and that Valdes was profiting by successfully bidding for years on tax delinquent properties put up in public auctions.

According to state financial disclosure forms, Greenberg listed his worth at the end of 2019 at nearly $5.9 million. That includes $5.5 million worth of stock in his family’s business AWG Inc., $85,500 in jewelry and $276,000 cash in bank accounts. As tax collector, he earned about $140,000 annually. He also drew nearly $400,000 in income from his family’s business in 2019, according to the report.

Among many controversies while Greenberg was in office was a Blockchain business he set up within his public county office, an incident in which he used his tax collector’s badge to pull over a woman for speeding, and an attempt to issue pistols to his employees to form his own security force.
    [Popular on OrlandoSentinel.com] Endorsements: For Seminole County Commission races, Bob Dallari, Lee Constantine and Pernell Bush ?

Greenberg also delved into other ventures that drew the attention of local officials, who questioned his spending. He came up with an idea to sell off the tax collector’s branch offices and invest the money in old shopping centers, a plan that was halted by the state’s Department of Revenue.

Greenberg doled out $1.9 million in contracts to friends, former business partners, campaign associates or others, including a half dozen people who either served as groomsmen in his 2016 wedding or attended the event, the Sentinel reported last year.

A trial date for the federal stalking case against Greenberg will likely be set after Sept. 30, according to court records.

He also paid three attorneys at the same time — Frank Kruppenbacher, the former Orlando International Airport chairman who resigned from the Florida Virtual School as an investigation started into his behavior there; Winter Park lawyer Wade Vose; and Richard Sierra, who was once married to Greenberg’s aunt. The legal bills totaled more than $687,000 over two years.

And, in 2017, Greenberg hired lobbying firm Ballard Partners at a cost of $6,250 a month “to change laws that are out of date or just stupid,” he said at the time.

Seminole County developer and Ballard partner Chris Dorworth is a friend of Greenberg’s. The two spent time last year, along with Gaetz, at the White House visiting Trump. The three posed together on the White House lawn for a selfie Greenberg posted to Twitter on June 22, 2019.

Before Beute was Greenberg’s opponent, he was Dorworth’s, as one of the founders and first president of the nonprofit group Save Rural Seminole that was formed in 2018 to oppose the controversial River Cross project developed by Dorworth, a former state legislator, and to advocate for protecting the county’s voter-established Rural Boundary.

The county commission unanimously voted down the development in August 2018. Dorworth in June contributed $1,000 to Greenberg’s re-election campaign, according to campaign records. Gaetz also contributed $1,000.
    Earlier investigations, but no charges

Documents from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement show Greenberg caught the eye of state agents as early as August 2017, just eight months after he first took office.

But state authorities never charged him with a crime, noting in a 2018 report that allegations from an employee that Greenberg asked him to hack into Seminole government computers couldn’t be “independently substantiated or developed at this time.”

The report, dated June 8, 2018, said other matters related to the “mismanagement” of the tax collector’s budget or property purchases would be subject to review by the Florida Department of Revenue or the Seminole County Commission.
    [Popular on OrlandoSentinel.com] Endorsements: For Seminole County Commission races, Bob Dallari, Lee Constantine and Pernell Bush ?

State agents also looked into the purchase by the Tax Collector’s Office of a former bank building in Winter Springs. In that deal, coordinated by Greenberg’s associates, the Tax Collector’s Office paid $810,000 in cash for a vacant building from an Orlando company that had bought it earlier that same day in May 2017 for $680,000. That company, Shooters Orlando, was set up in August 2016, a day before Greenberg won the county’s Republican primary election and then dissolved about a year later.
    https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...d2i-story.html

Way Crazier than considered here

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo...mits-feds-say/

Joel Greenberg is now charged with Fake weapons permit allegations. Come on there has to be a mafia type connection here.

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. – While his office was closed during the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic, former Seminole County Tax Collector Joel Greenberg was at the location “practicing” how to make fake concealed weapon permits, according to federal prosecutors.

The new allegation comes as evidence continues to mount against Greenberg, who resigned in June after he was indicted on federal stalking charges.

According to the notice of intent filed Monday, Greenberg was committing criminal acts “until his last day in office.”

Prosecutors said that earlier this year when the part of the office that issues concealed permits was closed, Greenberg called one of his employees for help on how to fix the printer that produces the permits. When the employee asked why he needed to know since concealed weapons permits were not being issued at the time, Greenberg said he was just “messing” with the machine, records show.

After Greenberg left the office, officials said pieces of the card stock paper used for concealed weapon permits were found in his office.

“Some of the cards left by Greenberg in his former office prove that Greenberg was practicing at producing identifications using concealed weapons permit cardstock and that he was experimenting in using the security stipe for concealed weapons permits in an effort to make the identifications that he was producing appear to be legitimate,” prosecutors wrote.

The document also provides further details about the stalking and identify theft-related charges Greenberg is facing.

In the stalking case, he’s accused of setting up fake social media accounts to make his political opponent come across as a white supremacist and to create rumors that the victim had raped a student at the school where he worked.

An investigation determined that the victim in the stalking case did not have any kind of sexual relationship with any of his students.

As far as the identity theft charges, prosecutors said Greenberg had two fake driver’s licenses with his picture and the names, birth dates and identifying information from other people on them.

Both of those victims who had their information used on the fraudulent IDs said they turned their driver’s licenses in at the Seminole County Tax Collector’s Office when they obtained new licenses, records show.

Three additional driver’s licenses -- all from people who turned in their IDs at the office between December and February -- were found in Greenberg’s backpack, according to the report.

“Greenberg stole surrendered driver’s licenses on other occasions. Employees of the Seminole County Tax Collector’s Office advise that an employee observed Greenberg take surrendered licenses from the shred basket prior to them being shredded. When Greenberg was confronted about what he had done by one employee, Greenberg gave the employee an excuse that had something to do with ‘demographics,' which was a lie,” prosecutors wrote.

On June 24, an employee asked Greenberg why he had surrendered driver’s licenses in his office and Greenberg lied and said that they were the “lost and found” collection, records show.

Greenberg is also accused of using the Florida Driver and Vehicle Information Database to conduct “inappropriate searches” to research potential identity theft victims.

Greenberg is facing charges of production of identification and false identification documents and aggravated identity theft.

In the federal stalking case, Greenberg has already entered a plea of not guilty. He was granted a conditional release last month.

Congressman Larry Householder of Ohio is facing corruption allegations.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-ho...-bribery-case/

The powerful Republican speaker of the Ohio House and four associates were arrested Tuesday in a $60 million federal bribery case connected to a taxpayer-funded bailout of Ohio's two nuclear power plants. Hours after FBI agents raided Speaker Larry Householder's farm, U.S. Attorney David DeVillers described the ploy as "likely the largest bribery scheme ever perpetrated against the state of Ohio."

Householder was one of the driving forces behind the nuclear plants' financial rescue, which added a new fee to every electricity bill in the state and directed over $150 million a year through 2026 to the plants near Cleveland and Toledo. After Householder's arrest, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine called on him to resign.

Also arrested were Householder adviser Jeffrey Longstreth, longtime Statehouse lobbyist Neil Clark, former Ohio Republican Party Chairman Matthew Borges and Juan Cespedes, co-founder of The Oxley Group, a Columbus-based consulting firm.

Generation Now, a group that successfully fought an effort to put a repeal of the bailout law on Ohio's ballot, was charged as a corporation in the case.

A criminal complaint filed by the FBI says Generation Now received $60 million from an unidentified company over the past three years. In exchange, Householder and the other defendants worked to pass the nuclear plant bailout and block attempts to overturn it.

Householder and the others used the money to preserve and expand his political power in Ohio, the complaint said.
    FirstEnergy Corp., whose former subsidiaries owned the plants, donated heavily to Householder's campaigns and his backers in the Ohio House. The utility's political action committee contributed $25,000 to Householder's campaign in 2018, according to an analysis by Common Cause Ohio, a government watchdog.

Householder flew to President Donald Trump's inauguration on the company's plane in 2016.

FirstEnergy Solutions, the subsidiary which has since changed its name to Energy Harbor and now operates the nuclear plants as an independent company, spent millions on lobbying and campaign contributions while trying to persuade federal and state officials to give the nuclear plants a lifeline.

FBI agents were at Householder's farm in Glenford on Tuesday morning in rural Perry County. FBI spokesman Todd Lindgren said only that they were carrying out "law enforcement activity." The Perry County Sheriff's Office confirmed that it was assisting.

Attempts by the AP to reach Householder, Borges and Clark were unsuccessful. A message seeking comment was also left with the House communications office.

The defendants appeared in court and were not required to enter a plea. The judge ordered Householder released on his own recognizance and directed him not to obtain a passport, to restrict his travel to the southern half of Ohio and not to contact any other defendants. The judge also ordered him to remove any guns from his home.

Similar restrictions were imposed on Longstreth. The next hearing was tentatively set for Aug. 6.

Borges has increasingly been on the outs with the Ohio Republican Party establishment since it was taken over by devotees of President Donald Trump. He was recently censured by the party's central committee, including for helping launch a PAC in June to turn out GOP voters for Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden. The PAC is backed by a group of prominent Republican operatives that include a former White House communications director, Anthony Scaramucci.

Clark is one of Ohio's best connected lobbyists, representing a high-powered stable of clients from the pharmaceutical, gambling and alcoholic beverage industries, among others.

Cespedes is a former investment officer with the Ohio Treasurer's Office who was appointed by then-Gov. John Kasich as commissioner for the Ohio Civil Rights Commission, where he oversees a team effort to stop discrimination in the state. His term ends July 29.

Householder is a veteran state lawmaker who's in his second stint as speaker. He held the same position from 2001 to 2004. He left state politics more than a decade ago because of term limits and returned in 2016 and took up a contentious fight to win back the chamber's top job.

Householder famously released a campaign ad that showed him shooting a television that was airing what he called a commercial produced by "anti-Trump gun grabbers." In the ad, he boasted that he had the "highest NRA rating in Ohio's history."

At the time he left office, he and several top advisers were under federal investigation for alleged money laundering and irregular campaign practices. The government closed the case without filing charges.

Householder is the second Ohio House speaker to come under investigation in just over two years.

Former Republican Speaker Cliff Rosenberger was investigated in 2018 amid an FBI inquiry into his travel, lavish lifestyle and a condo he rented from a wealthy GOP donor. Rosenberger, who has maintained he broke no laws, has not been charged, but the investigation remains open.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/invest...-case/2384598/

Jose Huizar accused of Political Corruption at LA City Hall

Huizar was identified by his position in city government, though not by name, in a series of criminal charges and documents filed by federal prosecutors in recent months that alleged Huizar was at the center of the alleged scheme.

Last month, a former aide to Huizar agreed to plead guilty to conspiracy charges, and said in court papers that he would admit to taking part in bribery, extortion, and mail and wire fraud.

The criminal filings involving aide George Esparza, who served as a "special assistant" to Huizar until 2017, also alleged that an individual identified as, "Councilmember A," accepted $215,000 in bribes and benefits in the form of casino gambling chips, trips on private jets, hotel rooms, spa services, meals, alcohol, and, "prostitution/escort services."

Councilmember A is separately described in the complaint as Esparza's boss, meaning Huizar, though the councilman's name was not printed in the filing.

"While today?s announcement on the arrest of Councilmember Huizar is not unexpected, the horrendous and disgusting allegations leveled against him and others have painted a dark cloud over our City government for a long time now," said Council President Nury Martinez. "Effective today, I will begin the process of removing him from office so that the good people of Council District 14 and the City of Los Angeles will be fairly and honorably represented. That is our duty and we must do it."

The case centers on bribes allegedly paid by developers and consultants to ensure certain construction projects were approved by the council and its powerful Planning and Land Use Management, or PLUM, committee.

FBI agents served search warrants at Huizar's home and offices in November 2018. Also in May, Council President Martinez sent a letter to Huizar directing him to stop attending council meetings amid the widening investigation.

"Councilmember Huizar has violated the trust of the people who elected him," Mayor Eric Garcetti said. "I have zero tolerance for this criminal behavior and corruption. He should be immediately removed from the City Council and replaced by his democratically-elected successor to ensure that the 14th Council District has the representation it deserves."

Esparza was the fourth person who's agreed to plead guilty in the corruption case.

Earlier this year former LA City Councilman and reserve LAPD officer Mitch Englander agreed to plead guilty to various federal charges alleging he lied to the FBI during the probe of alleged City Hall corruption.

Court documents filed by federal prosecutors said Englander, 49, was accused of obstructing an FBI investigation into whether he accepted cash, trips to Las Vegas and Palm Springs, and female escort services from a businessman who was attempting to get approval for a number of real estate projects.

The indictment alleges that Englander accepted items from a person identified as Businessperson A during June 2017 trips to Las Vegas and Palm Springs. Those gifts included an envelope with $10,000 in cash, services from a female escort, hotel rooms, $1,000 in casino chips, $34,000 in bottle service at a club and a $2,481 dinner, according to the indictment.

After the trips, Councilman Englander arranged for Businessperson A to meet with a developer who was a friend of Englander's, according to the indictment. And, in August 2017, after learning of the FBI probe, Englander sent an encrypted message to Businessperson A that indicated he wanted to reimburse him for part of the Las Vegas trip, according to the indictment.

Englander told Businessperson A at least three times to provide false and misleading information and keep other details from federal prosecutors. In February 2018, the two allegedly met in Englander's car. He turned up the volume on the car's stereo and began driving around the block, repeatedly asking that Businessperson A lie to investigators, according to the indictment.

"Mitch is proud of the work he has done to serve his community as both a volunteer reserve police officer and a public official," Englander's lawyer Janet Levine said in a statement. "Despite this setback, with the support of his family and friends, he looks forward to continuing his lifelong contributions to the community that has given him so much."

Englander surprised colleagues and constituents when he resigned from his $210,000-a-year elected seat on the Council in December 2018 and went to work for a private consulting firm. By that time numerous City officials were aware the FBI had opened an investigation into the actions of at least two council members and other City Hall employees.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo...ctor-feds-say/

Joel Greenberg (Ex Florida-Tax Collector) hearing for the False Rape allegation

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. – A memo filed Wednesday in the case against former Seminole County Tax Collector Joel Greenberg outlines some of the evidence used to arrest him on federal stalking charges, including DNA and fingerprints on letters.

U.S. attorney Maria Chapa Lopez filed the memo in response to Greenberg’s request for a bill of particulars that would identify the victim in the stalking case.

In June, Greenberg was accused of spreading false information about a local school teacher who was also his political opponent by setting up a fake social media account claiming to be concerned coworker of the victim. Using those accounts, Greenberg made false claims that the victim had sexually assaulted a male student who sought advice about his sexuality, records show.

A criminal investigation found the victim did not have any sexual contact with any students.

Prosecutors said Greenberg also created a Twitter account using the victim’s image in order to make it seem as if the victim were a white supremacist.

According to the document filed Wednesday, Greenberg used his personal email domain -- @joelgreenberg.net -- to create the fraudulent Twitter profile.

Records show both the Facebook and Twitter profiles were set up using an IP address that traced back to Greenberg’s home.

Additionally, nine letters were sent to the school where the victim worked that included a document made to look as if it were a screenshot from the victim telling the male student on Facebook, “Please remember to keep this a secret. I could go to jail,” according to the memo.

Prosecutors said Greenberg’s DNA and fingerprints were found on those letters.

As far as the request for a bill of particulars, Lopez is asking that it be denied because the victim’s name is mentioned 400 times and the school where he works is mentioned 300 times in the documents provided as part of discovery.

In the same memo, Lopez also mentions that there is an “unindicted co-conspirator” in the federal stalking case. No details were provided on who that person is or how they might be connected to the crime.

In addition to the stalking charge, Greenberg is also accused of using discarded driver’s licenses from his office to make fake IDs with his picture and the victims’ identifying information on them. He’s facing charges in that case as well.

Greenberg has since resigned from office.

His attorney filed a motion earlier this week to have the stalking charge dismissed.

A status hearing in Greenberg’s case is scheduled for Aug. 21.
    https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/...-tax-collector

Fuck You Greenberg It ain't free speech at this point its inciting harassment and "Boy Cry Wolf" on a political opponent.

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla.— Joel Greenberg’s attorneys are arguing two federal charges filed against Seminole County’s former tax collector must be dropped because of constitutional protections on free speech.

According to an indictment, Greenberg is responsible for social media accounts that falsely alleged his former political foe — a school employee — had sex with a student.

Federal prosecutors also allege he was behind an “imposter Twitter account” using the foe’s name and image without that person’s knowledge or approval.

“Modern political advertising is certainly protected by the Constitution,” his attorneys wrote.

Greenberg is not admitting to any of the allegations, his attorneys noted. His attorneys also didn’t address the other allegations against Greenberg, who resigned June 24 and has entered a not guilty plea.

“Mr. Greenberg served as an elected state constitutional officer and was running for re-election,” attorneys Mark L. Horwitz and Vincent A. Citro of Orlando said in a 25-page petition filed in Orlando federal court Monday. “The political opponent voluntarily entered the race against Mr. Greenberg, therefore was subject to criticism as a matter of public concern.”

Greenberg is no longer a candidate.

The U.S. Attorney's Office for the Middle District of Florida announced two charges against Greenberg on June 23.

He was initially indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of stalking and unlawful use of a means of identification of another person.

Those are the two his attorneys want dropped. The stalking charge “violates the Free Speech Clause of the First Amendment because it is overbroad and implicates a broad range of otherwise constitutionally protected speech,’’ his attorneys wrote.

The other charge “cannot stand” without the stalking charge, so it should also be dropped, his attorneys argued.

“The indictment charges Mr. Greenberg with intent to harass and cause substantial emotional distress,” his attorneys said. “The criminalization of speech intended to ‘cause substantial emotional distress’ and ‘harass’ a political opponent are unconstitutionally overbroad and do not comport with the protections guaranteed by the First Amendment.

Federal prosecutors added four more charges on July 15. According to the inductment filed on that date, Greenberg allegedly used old driver’s licenses that should have been shredded to create false IDs with his photo and someone else’s personal information.

Thread Information