Thread: Kate Malonyay (32) was found dead in her apartment and an investigation is ongoing

Kate Malonyay (32) was found dead in her apartment and an investigation is ongoing

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2013...ion_is_ongoing

I'll be interested to see what comes from this one. Mosman is a really affluent suburb in Sydney and this is pretty out of place.

Apparently the apartment was rented to a couple - I wonder where her partner is/was?

And we have a mutual friend - in the 20k deaths or whatever we have, this is the first time that's happened.

A VIVACIOUS and successful finance executive may have lay dead in her Sydney apartment for up to four days before her body was discovered.

Police have launched a murder investigation after paramedics found the body of Kate Malonyay, 32, a general manager with Challenger Financial Services, inside her unit on McLeod St, Mosman, on the north shore, about 1.45pm on Monday.

The Daily Telegraph understands the alarm was raised after she failed to turn up for work and friends couldn't reach her on the phone. A relative yesterday said she had been "strangled" inside the ground-floor unit.

Police are conducting an extensive victim profile as they attempt to piece together how and why Ms Malonyay, who grew up at Avoca Beach on the Central Coast, died.

'She was a beautiful, beautiful young lady," a relative, who asked not to be named, told The Daily Telegraph.

Ms Malonyay's mother is understood to have arrived in Sydney yesterday to identify her body - her brother, who teaches in Spain, was also flying home.

The well-liked young woman, who had a boyfriend, had moved from the Central Coast to "the big smoke" several years ago after her father died.

"She was just at that age to move away from Avoca Beach," the relative said.

Detectives and uniformed police conducted detailed searches of McLeod St, along with nearby Trumfield Lane and Musgrave St. Several items were recovered, including a set of four keys and a Fitness First gym membership card, in bushes.

Inquiries were being made by police with the gym to confirm whether the card belonged to Ms Malonyay.

Officers cordoned off the garage of the unit and crime tape was used to cover five bins inside the area.

Challenger CEO Brian Benari said Ms Malonyay had been a valued member of his finance company for three years and was well liked by staff.

"All of Kate's friends and colleagues at Challenger are deeply shocked and saddened by the news," a statement said.

"Kate worked for Challenger for three years and was a much-liked and valued member of staff. Nothing was ever too much trouble for Kate. She will be remembered for her sense of humour, easygoing nature and professionalism. Our thoughts are now with her family."

Friends also took to Facebook to express their sorrow and were still coming to grips last night with the sudden, unexplainable and tragic news.

"Can't stop tearing up thinking I won't get the chance to tell you how much I love you and how very special you are to me - preying (sic) this horrid news is wrong," one friend, Kane, wrote in a tribute.

Another said: "I can't believe. Someone would hurt you Kate malonyay you were so sweet and a beautiful sole xxrest in peace."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-news...#ixzz2RKGs3ts0

Bruises were found on the body of Sydney woman Kate Malonyay, who was discovered dead inside her Mosman apartment on Monday, police have revealed.

A post-mortem examination was conducted on the body of the 32-year-old, but police say the results were inconclusive and her cause of death is still under investigation.

Officers are still guarding the red-brick unit block on McLeod Street, where paramedics discovered Ms Malonyay just before 1.45pm on Monday.

Her colleagues at Challenger Financial Services Group, where Ms Malonyay had worked for three years, had raised the alarm after she failed to turn up for work.

Police on Wednesday said bruising was found on Ms Malonyay's body, but did not say where that bruising was.

Detectives have not confirmed reports that the former Avoca Beach resident was strangled, and that it might have taken four days for her body to be discovered.

Police have been reluctant to comment publicly about the case, but sources have told Fairfax Media that the case was almost certainly a murder.

Ms Malonyay's friends and former colleagues have paid tribute to the 32-year-old on social media, where she has been described as a "beautiful soul".

One man wrote on Facebook that she was his "best friend in the whole wide world".

"Still keep calling her phone hoping she will answer," the friend, Kane, wrote.

"Can't stop tearing up thinking I won't get the chance to tell you how much I love you and how very special you are to me .... Xxx love you forever Kate xxx."

"Preying this horrid news is wrong [sic]."

Another friend, Tanya, wrote: "RIP Kate Kate Malonyay thoughts are with her family such a beautiful young girl such a shame to lose such a beautiful soul xxxxooooxxxx."

Challenger chief executive Brian Benari said the popular staff member had worked at the company for three years, describing her as a "much-liked and valued member of staff".

He said all Ms Malonyay's friends and colleagues were "deeply shocked and saddened by the news of her passing".

"Nothing was ever too much trouble for Kate," Mr Benari said in a statement.

"She will be remembered for her sense of humour, easygoing nature and professionalism. Our thoughts are now with her family."

Police say Ms Malonyay's death is being treated as suspicious, and appealed for anyone with information about her death to contact Harbourside Local Area Command or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

http://www.penrithstar.com.au/story/...-police/?cs=12

THE ex-boyfriend of Sydney murder victim Kate Malonyay has fallen to his death from a luxury Gold Coast hotel as police moved in to arrest him.

Elliot Coulson plunged 26 floors from a balcony of the Marriott Surfers Paradise Resort about 11.40am Wednesday morning as horrified guests and staff looked on.

Police sources said NSW and Queensland Homicide detectives were trying to get into the hotel room to arrest him but the door was chained.

Police swarmed on the five-star hotel and the Ethical Standards Command launched an investigation because of the proximity of officers to the death.

The hotel put out a statement confirming the death.

"We can confirm that earlier today, we had an incident involving a guest death," general manager Neeraj Chadha said.

"The police are conducting a full investigation into the matter and circumstances preceding the guest's death."

Friends said Ms Malonyay and Mr Coulson met about 18 months ago in Sydney.

She broke up with him a few months ago over a "build up of things" and because he fed her a "sea of lies", friends said.

He told her he was in the Navy but friends say it wasn't true.

"A lot of what he said about himself to her was a lie," one said.

"He would often say he was going away on "deployments" and then be spotted around Sydney."

Supt Sicard confirmed that Ms Malonyay also lived alone and that inquiries were continuing, though police needed more information and those with any information were urged to phone police.

One of her closest friends phoned police on Monday and raised the alarm - police attended the Mosman unit to conduct a welfare check.

By the time they got in, Coulson was dead. He crashed through a metal awning, landing in a water feature outside the lobby.

Police launched a murder investigation after Ms Malonyay was found dead at her harbourside home at Mosman on Monday.

NSW Police Superintendent Allan Sicard said Strike Force Pasmore, involving local police and the Homicide Squad, had been formed to solve the "sensitive" and "serious" investigation into the suspicious death of Ms Malonyay.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-news...#ixzz2RM0OuOVd

Lies and secrets caught up with murder suspect Elliott Coulson

THE jilted ex-lover and prime suspect in the murder of Mosman finance employee Kate Malonyay plunged to his death from the 26th floor of a luxury Gold Coast hotel yesterday as detectives tried to arrest him.

Elliott Coulson, 32, a combat systems officer with the Royal Australian Navy, died instantly when he crashed through a metal awning, landing in a fountain outside the foyer of the Marriott Surfers Paradise Resort at 11.40am.

His death came moments after a team of detectives knocked on the door of his $500-a-night suite, which had been secured with a chain.

Last night police were trying to piece together Mr Coulson's movements from the time Ms Malonyay's body was found inside her ground floor unit of her McLeod St, Mosman, apartment about 1.30pm on Monday.

Friends of Ms Malonyay described Mr Coulson as "deceiving and conniving" who fed the vivacious 32-year-old a pack of lies during their relationship, which ended in December.

Ms Malonyay was a popular and much-loved senior employee with finance firm Challenger Limited.

But The Daily Telegraph can reveal new details of the police investigation, including the fact that Ms Malonyay's phone had been used to send text messages to friends hours after her body was found. Police made an operational decision to keep the discovery of her body a secret due to the developing situation with her phone, which they say was vital in their probe.

The last text message was sent from her number on Tuesday - the day after she was found.

A long-time friend, who asked to remain anonymous, told The Daily Telegraph: "There were text messages coming from her phone responding to messages (from friends) and it was as though she was still alive and just trying to arrange a catch-up with some girls."

Police have ruled that she had been lying in the apartment for between three and four days after her body was located on Monday afternoon when a close friend raised the alarm.

The previous Friday, as colleagues wondered why she had not turned up for work, another close friend received a text saying: "Hey honey I've just got a migraine I'm taking stuff for it I'm just at home relaxing'."

Friends have opened up about the couple's relationship, saying Malonyay was a trusting soul who saw the best in people, while Coulson was a compulsive liar.

This included convincing her for 18 months that he lived "on base" with the navy, which subsequently turned out to be false, and claims of being overseas for "months" on deployment.

The Daily Telegraph has been told that despite their break-up, Coulson held a set of keys to her apartment.

"Basically he was a really deceiving, conniving individual who met a beautiful girl who unfortunately liked to see the good in everybody and (he) just took advantage of that," one friend said.

"Kate was of the belief that he was a contractor to the Navy and the reason that we kind of were speculating around whether (that was true) was he told her he lived on base and we found out he didn't." No one, including Kate, knew precisely where he lived, the friend said.

"For her friends that were able to look at the situation from the outside, it was those things that really raised quite extreme alarm bells," the friend said.

A defence spokesperson refused to comment on the case, saying it remained a police matter.

Horrified guests and staff who witnessed the dramatic death plunge were offered counselling.

Police yesterday wrapped up their canvas of the murder scene after spending three days at the site.

Devastated friends also continued posting tributes on Facebook as funeral arrangements for Ms Malonyay were being prepared.

Challenger CEO Brian Benari said Ms Malonyay had been a valued member of his finance firm for three years and was extremely well-liked by staff.

What a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

The man who murdered his ex-girlfriend stayed in her apartment for two days with her body after he beat her so badly her own mother didn't recognise her.

Kate Malonyay was killed in 2013 by her former partner and ex-navy officer Elliot Coulson, 32, who in the days after her death texted her friends and family from her phone assuring them she was fine.

On Wednesday night during the second episode of ABC's two-part series Hitting Home, Kate's mother Wendy spoke about the horrific events leading up to her daughter's death.

'I didn't recognise her when I went to view the body,' Mrs Malonyay told journalist Sarah Ferguson.

'He stayed in the unit for two days with her.

'That horrifies me. I mean, it haunts me to know she was in that unit for five days, dead.'

Kate's mother and friends told the program in the weeks leading up to her death they were concerned for her welfare, and when police came knocking they knew instantly Coulson was involved.

'We were concerned that he was stalking her. After the relationship finished, she cleaned the flat and she bought a new bed. And she started getting vulgar, crude text messages, from him about the bed - sleeping with other men.' Mrs Malonyay said.

'He knew that this bed had arrived, so he must have been watching the flat. That's when we really pushed the fact she should change the locks.'

Just after her murder, Coulson took Kate's mobile phone and texted her mother and friends assuring them she was fine.

Just days later police found Kate's body in her Mosman apartment, laying in her bed with the duvet pulled up to her neck.

'There was a lot of blood, so... Yeah, she's met a violent end,' said Steve Hunt, the lead detective on Kate's case.

Kate's friends Melissa Meredith and Brigid Meagher also talked to Sarah Ferguson on Hitting Hard, revealing details about Coulson tendencies to be verbally abusive.

'The things that he would say were... You know, he would say some vulgar things and he would send messages of a really horrendous nature. And it escalated, it was escalating.'

The pair left concerned messages on Kate's phone and said they had an awful feeling from the moment they couldn't get in touch with her.

'I just knew as soon as I saw that reception were calling me and asking me, 'Come out to reception.' It was just that panic. You could just feel that shot of adrenaline going,' Melissa said.

'I remember just looking at Brigid, then looking at these faces, and it was like, 'It was Elliot. You need to find Elliot.' That was just the first thing, just straightaway.'

When police tracked Coulson to the Gold Coast he jumped from the balcony of the 26th floor apartment he was staying at and killed himself.

In 2014 there was an inquest into Kate Malonyay's death that revealed Coulson may have murdered her after she found out he had spun a web of lies about his life during their one-year relationship.

An inquest into Ms Malonyay's death also revealed Elliot Coulson - an ex-navy officer - was texting her friends from her phone after her death to make it look like she was still alive.

In the messages posing as Ms Malonyay, Coulson was assuring the 32-year-old's friends that she was okay and taking time off work.

She had actually been strangled and bashed to death in her Mosman home by Coulson, the NSW Deputy State Coroner Hugh Dillon found.

'One of her friends was in the police station [after her body had been found] when she received a text,' he told the Coroner's Court on Friday.

Ms Malonyay's bruised body was found in the bed of her Mosman unit on April 22 last year.

'There is evidence of blunt force being inflicted to Kate's head - both the back of the head and the left side of her face and some facial fractures to the left side of the face,' Mr Dillon said.

Kate Malonyay was beated, strangled and bashed to death by her ex-boyfriend

'Bruises, lacerations and abrasions were found all over Kate's body. Some deep bruises were found on her back on the left hand side.'

Concerned friends had asked police to check on her welfare because she had not been seen since leaving work five days earlier.

Her phone and credit cards were missing but texts linked to her mobile number were still being sent to her friends.

The source was traced to the Marriott Hotel on Queensland's Gold Coast, where Coulson was staying after going absent without leave from his systems analyst job at the navy.

When Queensland and NSW detectives went to speak to Coulson two days after Ms Malonyay's body was found, he jumped to his death from his hotel room on the 26th floor.

The coroner found DNA evidence, Coulson's flight to Queensland, his suicide, impersonation of Ms Malonyay and his unexplained leave from the navy formed part of the compelling evidence that Elliott Coulson killed Kate Malonyay.

The coroner's findings reveal that, in the weeks leading up to her death, Ms Malonyay had learnt that much of what Coulson had told her about himself was lies, and had begun speaking to his family.

It was also revealed Ms Malonyay had uncovered Coulson had been lying to her about how much he earned, his job position, his whereabouts and the value of a gift, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.

The state coroner said Coulson also pretended his father had a brain tumour and his twin brother had died in car accident.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3sXr8mKnw
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So many horrific DV stories airing this week. I got a shock last night - I recognised the hammer attack victim on the ABC. I don't know her to talk to but she's local & I didn't even know it had happened.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-2...artner/6973972

She's the second woman I know who had her head or face caved in with a hammer, the other one was from a suburb of my home town in western Sydney. There are just so many survivors of horrific assaults out there & so many murdered women & teenage girls - I wish they all could've been here to share their stories this week too

Especially this lady below. She tried so hard to get away & keep her kids safe. I saw her executed by her estranged husband when I was 25. It was outside Family Court where she was made a sitting duck because she was forced to leave the safety of her DV refuge & show up for a custody hearing. She was in the courtyard waiting to be called & after the first bang made everybody turn their heads, we all watched it happen through our office windows. We were on the groundfloor less than 15m away but there were hundreds of fed govt workers who came to their towerblock windows to see what the noise was. People were throwing up on every floor.

He's already done his time & been released for her murder (he's been jailed again for child sexual abuse though)

http://www.parramattamotel.com.au/pa...side-court-qc/

For those outside Aus, DV is getting all this coverage because a campaign against it has started down here this week. One woman a week dead from DV, countless women & kids injured, intimidated & terrorised - far more Australian victims than IS has ever taken & it's always been here, but it gets just a fraction of govt funding & attention that "the war on terror" attracts

http://www.whiteribbon.org.au/

She was beaten to death and they name the episode "Hitting Home"? Uh...not one I would've been happy about.

What I don't get is she dated him for 18 months and had no idea where he lived? She must have been really, really trusting...

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Wait, later in the article it says "Hitting Hard"....not sure which it is, but that one sounds a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    What a sorry ass piece of shit he was. I hope his sorry ass suffered before he died. Poor Kate picked the wrong asshole to have a relationship with and paid for it with her life.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    She was beaten to death and they name the episode "Hitting Home"? Uh...not one I would've been happy about.

What I don't get is she dated him for 18 months and had no idea where he lived? She must have been really, really trusting...

I think the families were ok with it because they want the depth of the problem recognised. This explans the show a little

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-2...e-wave/6970460

Re his address, being in the navy made it easy for him to lie. We have naval bases around Sydney Harbour, & Mosman is pretty close by. It wouldn't have been hard to convince her he lived on-base & visitors were restricted.
    Last edited by blighted star; 11-25-2015 at 03:07 PM.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-3...uneral/6987442

Navy forced to apologise for giving military funeral to sailor Elliott Coulson, who murdered ex-girlfriend Kate Malonyay

Lateline By Brigid Andersen and Jason Om
    Updated about an hour ago

MAP: Sydney 2000
    So far today police in Australia would have dealt with on average
    588 domestic violence matters

The chief of the Navy has apologised for giving a sailor who murdered his ex-girlfriend a funeral with full military honours.

Key points:

Kate Malonyay murdered by ex-boyfriend Elliott Coulson in 2013

Coulson took own life, was given funeral with full military honours

More than 10,000 sign change.org petition calling for Navy apology

Chief of Navy says sorry, says funeral policy will be more closely scrutinised

In April 2013, Elliott Coulson strangled 32-year-old Kate Malonyay in her unit on Sydney's north shore, several months after she had ended their year-long relationship.

In the days after her death, Coulson used Ms Malonyay's mobile phone to impersonate her, texting her friends and family when they became worried about her.

He then fled to the Gold Coast, where he booked into the Marriott Hotel. When police stormed the hotel room Coulson took his life by jumping off the balcony.

Days later, the Australian Navy gave Coulson a funeral with full military honours.

Ms Malonyay's friend Melissa Meredith told the ABC's Hitting Home documentary of her shock at the military's involvement.

"Those kind of ceremonies are for heroes. This guy was not a hero," she said.

The documentary prompted Lauren Sams to start a change.org petition demanding that the chief of Navy, Vice Admiral Tim Barrett, apologise and donate the cost of the funeral to a domestic violence support group.

The petition has more than 10,000 signatures.

"I just became so angry that something that is meant to be saved for the very best people in our society — people who put their lives on the line, people who risk their lives, who go out of their way, who spend their lives helping other people — something that's usually reserved for them was wasted on someone who represents the very worst in society," Ms Sams told Lateline.

Vice Admiral Barrett has since issued a statement saying sorry.

"I was, and remain, appalled at the brutal and violent murder at the hands of Elliott Coulson and I utterly condemn the abuse and violence that ended in her tragic death," he said.

"I acknowledge that the decision to support Elliott Coulson's family with Navy participation in the funeral has caused distress to Ms Malonyay's family, friends and the wider community.

"It was not Navy's intent to cause this distress and for this, I unreservedly apologise."

Vice Admiral Barrett said in future there would be closer scrutiny of the Navy's funeral policy.

He said the Navy had received accreditation through the White Ribbon Organisation and had been providing training and education programs to its members.

Ms Sams said members of the military had expressed their disgust over Coulson's funeral in the petition's comments section.

"People on the petition who are saying 'this is not what military funerals are for. This is an outrage, I condemn this as members of the military'," she said.

"I guess that is probably the most gratifying thing, that people from that field and that area are saying 'this does not represent me. I don't stand for this'."

Ms Sams said she welcomed Vice Admiral Barrett's apology.

Ms Malonyay's friends and her mother Wendy told the ABC's Hitting Home that Coulson had been controlling and they were concerned he was stalking Kate after they broke-up.

Wendy Malonyay said they wish they had taken action against him.

"Any of these subtle signs, for God's sakes just go to the police. Don't just sit there and wait for what happened to my daughter. Because it's horrific," she said.

She said she is still haunted by her daughter's violent death at the hands of Coulson.

"He stayed in the unit for two days with her [after her death]. That horrifies me. It haunts me to know that she was in that unit for five days, dead," she said.

Just realised we only have px of him.

This is Kate

It's about time they said something. How this asshole received the hoopla of a military funeral is beyond me.
    What I want to know is who the hell made the decision for it to happen?
    It makes me furious.

I think about Kates Mum and her friends often and it was such an important story to be included in the Hitting Home series.
    Rip Kate 💜

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    RIP, Kate. What a lovely lady you were who did not deserve that happened to you. My research focus is on Intimate Partner Violence (or Domestic Violence) so this is a topic that is very near and dear to my heart.

Thread Information