Thread: family accused of keeping a slave

family accused of keeping a slave

GREENSBURG, Pa. - A couple and their three teenage children held a woman captive for six months, beating her with broom handles, boards and a metal pipe and forcing her to do chores as they referred to her as their "slave," police said Wednesday.

All five members of the family were arrested on kidnapping, terroristic threat and related charges. They have not yet entered pleas but denied wrongdoing.

The accuser, Emily Nicely, 19, went to live with the family voluntarily last summer but said that she was forced to stay with them since September.

A man whose newspaper was delivered by the family called police on March 10 after he noticed bruises on her. Police brought her to a hospital, where investigators discovered that she had bruises over her entire body and that she had suffered a concussion.

Greensburg police Capt. George Seranko said police believed Nicely's account because the injuries they saw corroborated her story.

"She had injuries on every part of her body," Seranko said.

Nicely said her family had moved out of Greensburg, about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh, and that she moved in with the Pollard family so she could finish high school in the same district.

School district officials, however, said she was last enrolled in the 2004-05 school year.

"That's actually still part of our investigation," Seranko said.

Three teens charged
    Mark Pollard, 43; his wife, Cynthia, 41; and their oldest son, Mark Jr. 18, remained in jail Wednesday, the day after their arrest. The couple's youngest children, Jonathan, 17, and Tabitha, 16, were charged as adults. They were freed on bond and allowed to stay with other family members.

Cynthia Pollard acknowledged that Nicely was forced to stand in a corner but told investigators that Nicely is covered with bruises because she falls while delivering newspapers. She also said the family had "numerous physical confrontations with Ms. Nicely but that it was always in self-defense," according to the police affidavit.

"She's a liar," Cynthia Pollard told television reporters after her arraignment Tuesday.

Shortly after Nicely began staying with the Pollards, they became physically abusive, forced her to do work, and never let her leave the home unless she was accompanied by at least one of them, Nicely told police.

"On numerous occasions, the Pollard family would punch the victim with a closed fist, kick, and strike the victim with any of several objects including boots, broom handles, a metal pipe, wooden door slats, belts, boards, and other objects," police said in an affidavit. "The Pollard family referred to her as their 'slave.'"

Mark Pollard is black. Cynthia Pollard and Nicely are white.

"They told her that if she told anyone or tried to leave, they would put wire around her neck and strangle her. They would then go after her family," police said.

Nicely said she was also punished by having to stand with weights, with her hands on her head or in a corner for hours, police said.

Customer called police
    A newspaper customer, Nelson Williams, 66, and his caretaker summoned police after they noticed bruises on Nicely when she brought them the paper on March 10.

"Her face, it looked like a baseball bat hit her," Williams told The Associated Press. "She was bad. Boy, she was bruised."

Several minutes after Williams took Nicely in, Cynthia Pollard came to the house and demanded that they let Nicely leave.

Williams said Pollard told him that Nicely had mental health problems and said, "She does that to herself."

He said he replied, "Ain't nobody do that to herself in the face."

Nicely is now living with her mother in another county, authorities said. The Associated Press could not immediately locate Nicely for comment.

Neighbors reported hearing the Pollards fighting frequently and said police had been called to the home several times.

Colleen Clark lives in an apartment next door to the Pollards, and her daughter lives in another unit. She said she once had a run-in with Cynthia Pollard, because Pollard plugged an extension cord into her daughter's porch outlet, apparently because the electricity in the Pollard home was turned off.

Mark Urbanek, who also lives in the apartment building, said the Pollards were always fighting.

"I think that was part of that family's routine," he said.

On Wednesday, nobody was home at the Pollard house in a dingy alley. The front door was open and had no doorknob; its white aluminum siding was covered with dirt.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17726075/

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID =85283451        emily     
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid =99052865          mom       
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid =84627585          mark jr   
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID =83399972        tabitha
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid =98127644 
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid =111375560
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid =114486872
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid =76557826        jonathan

Re: family accused of keeping a slave

That's terrible.

On a side note, I'm tempted to use this as my siggie:

"He said he replied, 'Ain't nobody do that to herself in the face.'"
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

[quote author=turtlenads link=topic=5881.msg245453#msg245453 date=1174570917]
    That's terrible.

On a side note, I'm tempted to use this as my siggie:

"He said he replied, 'Ain't nobody do that to herself in the face.'"

[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That family looks mean.  Damn. 

WTF is up with Mark Jr.'s page?  jesus.
    It looks like he copied words out of Black's Law Dictionary to put in his interests.    :lol:

Heroes ACTUAL CACH VALUE ADOTION ADULTERY ADVERSE POSSESSION AFFIDAVIT AFFIRMATIVE ACTION AGE DISCRIMINATION AGENT AGE OF CONSENT AIDS AID TO FAMILIES WITH DEPENDENT CHILDREN

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

What's that!?!? A slave in 2007!!

Al Sharpton is outraged!

Oh wait....it's a White girl? :lol: never mind!

"who cares!?" :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

story time!!!

i recently found out my great grandmother was raised like a slave. 

after her father died her mother was lobotomized (because they did shit like that to crazy women not too long ago).  she was six and her sister was four.  they were split up and my great aunt got to go live with wealthy family members in california and grew up well.  my grandmother got stuck in iowa with a family that couldn't afford a maid.  she was kinda nuts, too, apparently.  though i imagine growing up without any love in your life would kinda screw you up...

the end. 

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=5881.msg245735#msg245735 date=1174585972]

Al Sharpton is outraged!

"who cares!?" :lol:
    [/quote]

That man pissed me off when the Duke stripper story came out. At first, I was like...OMG, those pretentious pricks. How could they rape someone?! I was all for NAACP zapping their asses to the wall. Al was their main voice for the community.

Then as the story progressed, we find out that she wasn't raped and she had lied about the accusers...all verified through ATM receipts, video camera footage, etc.

Did Al Sharpton publicly apologize? Nope. He's an ass. I don't like him.

emmie - that's really sad that that poor woman was lobotomized. Unreal.
    <br />I&#039;m your huckleberry.

That's fucked up.&nbsp; Something very similar to this happened in East TN a few years ago.

She also said the family had &quot;numerous physical confrontations with Ms. Nicely but that it was always in self-defense,&quot; according to the police affidavit.
    Duh! I mean, OF COURSE they were happy to allow some chick they constantly had to defend themselves from stay there! They were obviously just a nice family who were kind enough to allow this vicious woman, who attacked them and abused herself for fun, live with them!
    Choices are for one and all; all we are are leaves that fall. That&#039;s all.

From the looks of things...
    The dad's dead.
    Perhaps i spent too long hibernating?

hmm well, err that's quite the tan darling daughter has....

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=5881.msg245735#msg245735 date=1174585972]

Al Sharpton is outraged!

&quot;who cares!?&quot; :lol:
    [/quote]dammit, I am just trying to figure out the ropes around here, and then you have to go and say that.&nbsp; I thought you were a diehard leftie and supported all of that stuff.&nbsp; Great post though.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=cry4thenightbird link=topic=5881.msg249604#msg249604 date=1174785348]
    dammit, I am just trying to figure out the ropes around here, and then you have to go and say that.&nbsp; I thought you were a diehard leftie and supported all of that stuff.&nbsp; Great post though.
    [/quote]
    Yea, that's me. But damn it that was funny. :lol:
    Now applaud!
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Poor girl.

I used to have a book on another case: http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/psychology/sex_slave/index.html

[quote author=Sanguine link=topic=5881.msg254824#msg254824 date=1175082795]
    Poor girl.

I used to have a book on another case: http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/psychology/sex_slave/index.html

[/quote]

I remember that story well.&nbsp; Very creepy.

I do not understand. Have a slave is not allowed? Or is have a slave allowed if that person has the face like snickers bar?

So, Tabitha has what, like 5 profiles?&nbsp; Whats up with the first one?&nbsp; Obviously the blond chick is her g/f, whats up with the other pictures on there?&nbsp; They're not of her and she plays it off like it is, you go to her other profiles and she has different pictures posted of &quot;her&quot;.&nbsp; I'm assuming the first one is her, &quot;hey I'm fugly so I'll steal someone else's pictures to make a hot profile?&quot; profile?

Why are these people still logging into myspace?

And why the fuck don't they delete all those freaking spam comments?!!? That bugs the shit out of me.&nbsp;

Thread Information