Page 72 of 73 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 1819

Thread: Boston Marathon: Explosion at Finish Line

The trial is still going to be in Boston. It's been pushed back to Jan. 5.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opi...rial_in_boston

A federal court judge last night slammed defense lawyers? claims that publicity had ruined accused terrorist Dzhokhar Tsarnaev?s chances of getting a fair trial in Boston, as he ordered the blockbuster case to remain in the Hub ? a ruling hailed by survivors of the marathon bombings.

U.S. District Court Judge George A. O?Toole Jr. also pushed back the Nov. 3 trial date to Jan. 5, rejecting the defense team?s appeal to postpone the case to September.
    His friend is on trial now. There's more articles in the Boston Herald, if you're interested.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/topic/dzhokhar_tsarnaev

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    I've read a lot about this kid and his family. He should plead guilty, and accept a life without the possibility of parole. I haven't heard if they've offered him that deal, but if they did, he should take it.

Boston bombing suspect Tsarnaev allegedly knew of brother's role in 2011 murders

http://news.yahoo.com/tsarnaev-bosto...173803490.html

Federal prosecutors have identified a witness prepared to testify that Boston Marathon bombings suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev knew his older brother and alleged accomplice, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, participated in 2011 triple murder outside Boston.
    The disclosure was made by Dzhokhar Tsarnaev?s defense team in a federal court filing late Friday, as part of a larger push by his attorneys to gain access to ?discovery? evidence compiled by the federal government in its case against Tsarnaev for the April 2013 bombings which killed three and injured several hundred near the marathon?s finish line.

The Sept. 11, 2011, murders--which occurred in Waltham, Mass., a suburb of Boston--remain officially unsolved. But the murders, which were initially written off by local police as a drug deal gone bad, have become a plot point in the Boston bombings case amid evidence that Tamerlan Tsarnaev was involved. This is the first time there?s been a suggestion that his younger brother might have been aware of his alleged participation in the murders?which some have said, if solved, might have prevented the marathon attacks.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was killed during a confrontation with police three days after the bombings when his brother ran over him with a car, was close friends with one of the Waltham victims: Brendan Mess, 25, a martial arts instructor who police say also dealt drugs on the side. But Tsarnaev was never questioned in the case, even though friends reportedly told police they were suspicious when he didn?t show up for Mess?s memorial service.

In May 2013, Ibragim Todashev, a boxer who was also friends with Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was shot and killed by an FBI agent who was interviewing him about the case. According to a filing by federal prosecutors last fall, Todashev had implicated himself and Tamerlan Tsarnaev in the murders before he was killed.

As recently as this spring, the investigation into the Waltham slayings appeared to be ongoing. In April, a federal grand jury looking into the murders subpoenaed Katherine Russell, Tamerlan Tsarnaev?s widow, for items that belonged to Mess. But her attorney, Amato DeLuca, said she didn?t have anything.

The Waltham case has been the subject of a back and forth between federal prosecutors and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev?s defense team, who have repeatedly pressed the government for months to share their evidence and information about the murders. Prosecutors have pushed back, insisting the Waltham case isn?t relevant because Tamerlan Tsarnaev is not on trial.

But Dzhokhar Tsarnaev?s attorneys, who appear to be crafting a defense based around casting the older brother as a bullying mastermind of the Boston operation, renewed their push for evidence on Friday arguing the government had previously said the case was ?might be relevant if Dzhokhar were aware of it.? They then pointed to a letter they received from prosecutors on Aug. 15, 2014, saying the government had a witness prepared to testify that ?Dzhokhar had such an awareness.?

The developments come just days before both sides are scheduled to release their initial list of witnesses in the bombings trial, which is scheduled to take begin in January. Both sides are due in a Boston courtroom on Oct. 20 for status hearing in the case. Prosecutors have asked that Tsarnaev, who has not been seen in court since July 2013 when he was formally charged in the attacks, make an appearance, but it?s unclear if he will.

Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty in the bombings. If convicted, he faces the death penalty.

Boston Bombing: Trial of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Begins With Jury Selection

The man charged with the terror attack near the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon went on trial Monday in a federal courthouse less than two miles from where two bombs, concealed in backpacks, exploded with devastating force.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, in khakis and a dark shirt, watched as Judge George A. O'Toole Jr. addressed the first batch of prospective jurors. Jury selection got underway after defense lawyers lost repeated bids to have the trial delayed or moved out of Boston.

Tsarnaev, 21, is charged with 30 criminal counts in the April 2013 bombings, which killed three people and injured 260 others, and in the murder of an MIT campus police officer, Sean Collier, a few days after the bomb attack.

The judge summoned 3,000 people to the federal courthouse on Boston's inner harbor, an unusually large jury pool. In the first phase of jury selection, at least 1,200 are expected to fill out questionnaires over three days this week.

O'Toole said in an order that individual questioning of prospective jurors would begin Jan. 15. He said in court that he expects opening statements around Jan. 26 and that the trial will last three or four months.

Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty. His older brother, Tamerlan, also accused in the crimes, died in a shootout with police.

Since shortly after the bombings, the younger Tsarnaev has been held at Federal Medical Center Devens, a prison facility on a decommissioned U.S. Army base about 40 miles west of Boston.

Because the government has said it will seek the death penalty if Tsarnaev is convicted, potential jurors will be questioned with the goal of seating a jury that is, as federal law puts it, "death-qualified."

"Two types of jurors must be excluded," said Professor Ira Robbins of American University's Washington College of Law. "The judge will seek to eliminate those who are categorically opposed to the death penalty in all cases and those who believe that if there's a conviction for capital murder, they must impose the death penalty."

The city pulled together after the bombings, a spirit that became known as Boston Strong, to aid the victims and refuse to be defeated. Last year's marathon drew a crowd of 1 million people to watch — twice the usual number.

"He's going to die in prison one way or the other if he's convicted. So this really is a ceremony that doesn't make sense."

But now, Marty Walsh, Boston's mayor since last year, says most people in his city want the bombing trial to be over.

"People just feel that they know what happened on that day," Walsh said. "And I think a lot of people are saying, 'Let's move beyond this thing so the families can have some peace.'"

A former federal judge who now teaches at Harvard University said that she believes conducting a full trial is a mistake and that prosecutors should allow Tsarnaev to plead guilty and receive a sentence of life in prison.

Nancy Gertner argues that legal appeals would take years and that executions are on hold because of uncertainty about lethal drugs.

"He's going to be on death row for decades. There will be multiple appeals," Gertner said. "Looking at it realistically, he's going to die in prison one way or the other if he's convicted. So this really is a ceremony that doesn't make sense."

Under such a scenario, the judge would conduct a sentencing hearing, which Gertner said would give those most affected by the bombings a chance to speak: "It would enable the victims to have a platform to talk about the extraordinary pain that they endured, which is a different platform than would be at a trial."

If any such plea discussions have taken place, there is no public record of it, and Justice Department officials have refused to comment.

Jury selection may take a few weeks, and the entire trial may last as long as four months.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-co...ection-n277561

Boston (CNN)The death penalty trial of accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev -- long delayed by painstaking jury selection,
    crippling snowstorms and last-ditch appeals to move the case someplace else -- is on track to get underway here next week.

Judge George O'Toole, along with the prosecution and defense teams, settled on a pool of 70 jury prospects on Wednesday after questioning
    256 people over 21 days of individual interviews.

The attorneys will weed out jurors they believe are less sympathetic to their case on Tuesday, March 3. These "preemptory challenges"
    let attorneys remove jury prospects without giving a reason. Each side gets 20 challenges for the main jury and three for the alternates.

The following morning, the panel of 12 jurors and six alternates is expected to be formally seated to hear opening statements and the first witnesses
    to an event that cut Boston to its core. O'Toole indicated the trial could last well into June.

The jurors first will decide whether Tsarnaev is guilty of using weapons of mass destruction to kill people at a large public event. If convicted, the jury then will decide whether he should be punished by life in prison without the possibility of release or death, most likely by lethal injection.

Potential jurors were questioned at length about whether they already believed Tsarnaev was guilty and whether they could consider the death penalty in a state where it hasn't been an option in a generation. The last execution here took place in 1947.

Many said they thought Tsarnaev was guilty of the April 15, 2013, bombings, which killed three people near the finish line. Tsarnaev also is charged in the April 19, 2013, death of MIT police officer Sean Collier. The officer was ambushed in his patrol car and shot to death as Tsarnaev and his brother Tamerlan ran from police hours after their photographs were released to the public.

The defense, claiming it couldn't find an impartial jury in Boston, tried three times to persuade O'Toole to move the trial. He refused. An appeal is pending before the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which has not ruled.

Opening statements and the first witnesses originally were slated for January 26, but it took longer that anticipated to question the prospective jurors for this high-profile case. The panel of 70 was selected from the first 600 or so jurors of the 1,373 who filled out questionnaires earlier this year.

Many of the jury prospects struggled with questions about where they stood on the death penalty and whether they could follow the law and vote for capital punishment if the facts and the law led them to that decision.

Massachusetts wiped the death penalty from its books for good in 1984. But this case is being tried in federal court,
    and 17 of the 30 counts against Tsarnaev include the death penalty as a possible punishment.
    Also cited are so-called aggravating factors such as committing an act of terror and the tender years of the youngest victim, 8-year-old Martin Richard.

It is almost certain that the trial, which will include wrenching testimony and video footage of the bombing victims, will be well underway during the running of this year's Boston Marathon on April 20.

Tsarnaev, 21, is accused of building two homemade pressure cooker bombs with his older brother, Tamerlan. The bombs detonated within moments of each other near the finish line. Beside the three deaths, more than 250 other people were maimed or injured by flying shrapnel and nails.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev died during a gun battle with police, and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was found hours later, bleeding and hiding in a boat in a Watertown backyard.
    He had written Islamic slogans on the sides of the boat, federal authorities allege.

No cameras are allowed at the Tsarnaev trial. But CNN's Ann O'Neill will be there every day. Think of her as The 13th Juror, bringing insights here weekly. And follow @AnnoCNN on Twitter daily.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/25/us...art/index.html

Oh man, this thread has some classic evidence of how fucking stupid Beantown was.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Oh man, this thread has some classic evidence of how fucking stupid Beantown was.
    I think I remember some of it, but I'll have to read back. Something about "pray for us"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

And the irony that it was started by Harlette
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Yes, her fuckery started on page 6

Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post
    And the irony that it was started by Harlette
    I know

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I think I remember some of it, but I'll have to read back. Something about "pray for us"
    And arguing about the Rolling Stone. She was like a walking hideous facepalm.

Still goes down as one of the scariest weeks of my life and I have been through some shit. Between being on Boylston when the bombs went off, to working in the building across the street when Sean Collier was shot (resulting in lock down), to living near where the gun fight went down later that night.

Our city came together so much during this terrible fucking time.. and now we are bashing in eachother's windshields over parking spots.

Quote Originally Posted by soultosqueeze View Post
    Still goes down as one of the scariest weeks of my life and I have been through some shit. Between being on Boylston when the bombs went off, to working in the building across the street when Sean Collier was shot (resulting in lock down), to living near where the gun fight went down later that night.

Our city came together so much during this terrible fucking time.. and now we are bashing in eachother's windshields over parking spots.
    Woah - no idea you were that close. But seeing the decline in city togetherness from the bombing to now is - I hate to say it, but amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    Woah - no idea you were that close. But seeing the decline in city togetherness from the bombing to now is - I hate to say it, but amusing.
    Yes, I was. I have since moved from Watertown to the next town over, but there's a daily reminder of everything when I leave work and see the memorial for Sean Collier.

I want this kid to just rot in jail. He wants to go be with Allah or whatever but I think we should prolong that for as long as he lives.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ebook#comments

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/28...led-bystander/

Kinda sad. One of the cops hailed as a hero after the bombing was shot in the face during a routine traffic stop.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post

Kinda sad. One of the cops hailed as a hero after the bombing was shot in the face during a routine traffic stop.
    By any means necessary, right?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post

That is very sad.

I could never marry a cop. I would be worried sick everytime they went off to work.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I snipped some of the article

Jurors sobbed in court today as a medical examiner detailed the horrific and painful injuries suffered by eight-year-old Martin Richard, who was killed in the Boston bombings.
    Testifying in Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's trial on Monday, Massachusetts' Chief Medical Examiner Dr Henry Nields, who performed the child's autopsy, revealed Martin had suffered injuries to nearly every part of his body.
    Dr Nields was the last witness for the prosecution before it rested its case on Monday.
    Martin's parents, Bill and Denise Richard, were also in court. They had been at the marathon finish line with their three children when Martin was killed and their daughter, Jane, lost a leg.
    'Cause of death was blast injuries to torso and extremities,' Dr Nields said, adding that Martin died primarily from loss of blood.
    Shrapnel - including small nails, plastic, pellets and wood - from one of the homemade pressure cooker bombs set off by Tsarnaev and his older brother had punched through the boy's 69-pound body.
    He suffered a six-inch-by-six-inch wound to his left abdomen, which exposed his intestines, and caused damage to his liver, left kidney, spleen and two ribs, Dr. Nields said.
    'There was also a perforation of his lower spine,' Dr Nields said, indicating that shrapnel had passed through the child's body and exited through his back.

His left arm had also nearly been torn off and his left leg suffered a broken bone and lacerations. The youngster also suffered third-degree burns as well as scrapes to his head and neck.
    'Overall, the injuries... would be painful,' Dr Nields said.
    As well as presenting the jury with a picture of the child's body - which the public and the boy's parents did not see - the medical examiner also showed them multiple pieces of shrapnel found embedded in his tissue and bones, including nails, plastic, pellets and wood.
    He also showed the jury clothing Martin had been wearing on the day of the blast.
    Among them, the boy's Patriots football t-shirt and Boston Celtics jersey both showed large tears on their left sides where he had suffered the huge wound to his abdomen.
    His shorts had melted in the explosion, while his belt had been used as a tourniquet to try to save his left arm, Dr Nields said.

(SNIP)

The heartbreaking testimony came after the jury heard how another victim, Lingzi Lu, suffered 'very painful' gaping leg wounds from chunks of shrapnel and bled to death within minutes.
    'Her injuries were caused by debris hitting her body and going through her body,' Boston medical examiner Katherine Lindstrom said. 'They would have been very painful.'
    Lu, a 23-year-old Chinese national and graduate student at Boston University, had been watching the marathon near the finishing line with friends when the bombs detonated.

Shrapnel punched through her legs, leaving multiple wounds, including one that was seven inches long, Dr Lindstrom testified.
    She said Lu's femoral artery in her left leg was essentially cut in half, causing her to bleed to death.
    It would have been not immediate, but relatively quickly, seconds to minutes,' she said, adding that Lu did not suffer any head injuries so likely would've been conscious the whole time.

When her body arrived for autopsy, there were still two belts around her leg where someone had attempted to stop her from bleeding out, Dr Linstrom said, the Boston Globe reported.
    Inside the injuries, the medical examiner found debris including shrapnel with jagged edges, round metal pellets, small nails, plastic and fabric, she said.
    Photos of Lu's body were shown to the jury. A legal secretary was seen wiping away tears during the testimony, according to a Boston Globe reporter in the courtroom.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3Vx6jjngf
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

A picture released showing just how close the bomber was to the family

Exactly why I never sit/stand in the first row for anything!

Comedy Show = Made fun of by comic
    SeaWorld = Splashed by enormous angry Killer Whale (possibly bitten/eaten)
    Baseball = Foul ball to the face while looking down at phone
    Rollercoaster = Bird to the face
    Boston Marathon = Asshole bomber(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mydeathspace View Post
    Exactly why I never sit/stand in the first row for anything!

Comedy Show = Made fun of by comic
    SeaWorld = Splashed by enormous angry Killer Whale (possibly bitten/eaten)
    Baseball = Foul ball to the face while looking down at phone
    Rollercoaster = Bird to the face
    Boston Marathon = Asshole bomber(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Jury begins deliberations in Boston Marathon bombing trial

The jury in the Boston Marathon bombing trial began deliberations this afternoon, after weeks of testimony.

The jury in the Boston Marathon bombing trial began deliberations this afternoon, after weeks of testimony.
    Along with his late brother Tamerlan, 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev stands accused of planting one of
    two bombs that exploded at the Boston Marathon finish line in April 2013, killing three. Tsarnaev faces 30 counts,
    17 of which carry a sentence of life in prison or the death penalty.

http://www.indeonline.com/article/ZZ...9906/1994/NEWS

Verdict is in, to be announced at 1:45 ET.

I find it hilarious that YOU are acting all high and mighty toward us when you're posting on here just like anyone else and in addition, defending a murderer. A child murderer, at that. Go fuck a Popsicle.

Verdict is no surprise at all.

Will be interesting in the penalty phase to see if they can get a death penalty conviction. I agree...it was no surprise.

I find it hilarious that YOU are acting all high and mighty toward us when you're posting on here just like anyone else and in addition, defending a murderer. A child murderer, at that. Go fuck a Popsicle.

The parents of the youngest victim of the Boston Marathon bombing are urging federal authorities to consider taking the death penalty off the table for the man convicted in the case.

Bill and Denise Richard, whose 8-year-old son, Martin, was one of three people killed by the April 2013 explosions at the marathon's finish line, say in a front-page piece in Friday's Boston Globe ( http://bit.ly/1cBzoQE ) that sentencing Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to death "could bring years of appeals and prolong reliving the most painful day of our lives."

"We are in favor of and would support the Department of Justice in taking the death penalty off the table in exchange for the defendant spending the rest of his life in prison without any possibility of release and waiving all of his rights to appeal," they wrote.http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/p...table-30385811

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    The parents of the youngest victim of the Boston Marathon bombing are urging federal authorities to consider taking the death penalty off the table for the man convicted in the case.

Bill and Denise Richard, whose 8-year-old son, Martin, was one of three people killed by the April 2013 explosions at the marathon's finish line, say in a front-page piece in Friday's Boston Globe ( http://bit.ly/1cBzoQE ) that sentencing Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to death "could bring years of appeals and prolong reliving the most painful day of our lives."

"We are in favor of and would support the Department of Justice in taking the death penalty off the table in exchange for the defendant spending the rest of his life in prison without any possibility of release and waiving all of his rights to appeal," they wrote.http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/p...table-30385811
    "But what would you think if someone in your family got murdered?" asked the bloodthirsty, pro-capital punishment crowd.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Thread Information