Thread: Missing persons thread - when to bump & other questions.

Missing persons thread - when to bump & other questions.

I've been reading through the missing thread & checking for updates. For most of them, it's more of the same. Many have had articles since MDS last updated, but the articles are just a rehash of the known facts & there's no way I'm going to bump a thread for that.

In a couple of high profile cases though, while there hasn't been a break in the case, there have been further arrests or bizarre behaviour reported in the media for a "person of interest". Should I bump a thread to post these updates, or just leave it? Two in particular were pretty high profile, In both cases everyone focused on one person of interest & it's that person, rather than the missing person, that keeps popping up in law enforcement-related news.

You guys have spent years wondering what happened to these girls already, I don't want everyone to think they might've been found again, so I havn't posted anything. To post? Or not to post?

Also, if you find a report confirming a missing person has been located, do you just post "found" & wait for a mod to move the thread to the correct area? Or is there something else we should be doing? I won't post anything other than found or major case developments, like an arrest for the missing persons murder, unless I get a definite ok to post the other stuff I've asked about. I imagine having a years long missing thread bumped for anything other than FOUND gets pretty fucking annoying.
    Last edited by blighted star; 04-08-2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: sad sad spelling

I'm not a mod, so maybe I shouldn't answer, but I would think any info relevant to the case would be OK. I know personally, if I've followed a case and their are new developments, even if it's not "person found," I want to know. The thread should encompass all areas of the case, including discussion and speculation, I think.

Plus now, I'm super-curious what info you have found. :)

Yes, bump with relevant info.

Make a note if a Mod needs to move the thread elsewhere.

Bumping if you have additional information is great. Bumping a thread that's been dead to be like 'how sad. ' or WHOA is not great.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Bumping if you have additional information is great. Bumping a thread that's been dead to be like 'how sad. ' or WHOA is not great.
    Thanks guys, I'm going to triple check there's not already mention, I havn't verified properly yet because I wanted to check first so I hope I havn't got people intrigued over nothing. I might not be able to do it for a little while because I've got to do kid stuff so I'll give a VERY rough run down here in case anyone's wanting to know fast.

Kara Kopetsky's ex may have further arrests relating to a tattoo shop robbery & I can't remember the other girls name, Jou? It might've been a craigslist related story? Disappeared after her mother waved her off on the back of a bike? The guy said she was an o.d, did minimal time & was released which caused an outcry. This might've been posted about him already, I've read so much now I can't remember off the top of my head, but there's an interview with 2 women saying he's running ads looking for women to house share/ house keep & exhibiting some frighteningly bizarre behaviour given his background. Even if this story has been posted, I'm going to check for regular updates on this guy, because if what these 2 say is accurate, he will be a news headline again one day.
    Last edited by blighted star; 04-09-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: it posted too early! stoopid tablet!!

Back again with another question, which I kind of asked before but forgot the answer. I wasn't expecting another "found" so soon but I just got one. I posted the details & source link & headed the post "Found Safe". This one was Carmen Rivera, but just in case I find more, is there a particular thread to let Mods know it needs to be moved to "found"? Or do I PM whoever's on? Or should I just leave it 'til someone sees there's a new post in an old Missing thread? Or do different Mods have different preferences?
    (& are all those repeats of "or" annoying everybody else as much as they are me? Apparently my vocabulary shrinks after midnight)

If it's yes to different preferences, you could all just post what you want here & I can check this thread if I find more?

I usually read most missing person updates - you can pm me to be sure though?

Thanx!! I thought you might. I'll just update them & won't bug anyone with pm's unless it hasn't been noticed for more than 3 days. I figured new posts in there might get noticed. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something obvious I should also be doing after I posted. I have a knack for missing large highlighted notices.

A msg for any mods who check the missing threads -

I'm getting thrown out when I try to send or open msgs so I can't pm or vm at the moment. Posting's a bit hit & miss too -I've already been thrown out once trying to type this, but just in case no-one gets the chance to read all the missing updates (& it's weird, a bunch of cold cases have had major developments in the last few weeks, so that 1st page is changing fast), the Gil & Fuqua (? I think) are both found, I think the updates were already missed years ago so just sticking it here in case I forget too, Thanx!!

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    A msg for any mods who check the missing threads -

I'm getting thrown out when I try to send or open msgs so I can't pm or vm at the moment. Posting's a bit hit & miss too -I've already been thrown out once trying to type this, but just in case no-one gets the chance to read all the missing updates (& it's weird, a bunch of cold cases have had major developments in the last few weeks, so that 1st page is changing fast), the Gil & Fuqua (? I think) are both found, I think the updates were already missed years ago so just sticking it here in case I forget too, Thanx!!
    Does all of this just happen when you're on your tablet?

Ummm, yes? I'm never on anything else though so it's a bit hard to tell. It took 17 tries to post the other day. I was about to frisbee it at the wall - but then it wouldn't work at all, so I decided I'd better not.

It might just be our crappy regional internet hookup. Apparently someone down here was told the area has expanded beyond the capacity Telstra allocated, so when the population quadruples on weekends & holidays it just goes completely to hell. Might be true? It's Friday night & it's dropping out like a mobile ph at the moment - every 5 mins or so. Does seem worse since I've discovered the desktop option though? So I don't know?? It's sooo confusing!

ETA lol - it threw me out as soon as I got this post to go through - which is an improvement, it usually happens before it goes through.
    Last edited by blighted star; 06-14-2013 at 06:13 AM.

Thread Information