Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is anyone here on pain meds? Patches

I'm not wearing any pants
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth-Deth View Post
    Yeah i have oily skin. Had to do something
    They totally gave me my life back. Car accidents suck.

They sure do!

Quote Originally Posted by Beth-Deth View Post
    Tegaderm is at your pharmacy. Its a big clear bandage like the kind they put over iv drips and burns. Also my pain management dr always tells me that because i am truly in pain im not an addict. Your dr knows you hurt. They put me on roxys specifically because they arent buffered w tylenol. I was on lortab 10 w 500mg tylenol and it almost killed my liver. Just let dr know you are supplementing the meds they give w alot of aleve or advil and they will help you.

Burns? UHHH. I don't want to burn! Guess i'll stick to big bandaids. lol I don't have an addictive personality but i am afraid to ask for them for fear of what she will say. I would rather take pills than this.

Ik achukmo-Tikba-Kafi Beth-Deth's Avatar
    No they dont burn. They use tegaderm to cover burns. I dont suggest you try to get on wHat i am on just that you tell your dr the truth about what is is not working. They cant help unless you do. If what you have is really working you should not need advil or aleve. They are nsaids and nsaids are bad.

Beantown, I imagine you're taking the Advil or Aleeve for the arthritis. I've been on a prescribed nsaid for years and years. It should be better on your stomach than the over-the-counter ones. You have to let the doctor know that you're dealing with arthritis as well as the pain from the injury. There are special meds for RA.
    Also, for the cold sores, a doctor prescribed Zovirax (acyclovir) for me many years ago. I still have the same little tube and it works! I thought Abreeva would contain the same ingredient, but it's totally different. I wouldn't pay $1 for it.

It's weird to get nausea from a patch. I thought the whole point of a patch was to avoid the digestive (GI) tract.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    Nausea is a side effect of the med, not because it messes with your gi tract- Narcotics and Opiates affect the same system that deals with vomiting (from what I remember from pharmacology)

Ask for zofran. It helps with the nausea. Little pill that goes on your tongue and melts. You can also try OTC dramamine or bonine.

I've never had a patch, but I'm allergic to Fentanyl and hypersensitive to most pain meds (I get itchy with hives) so they're very careful with what I get. And I can't take NSAIDS because of my GI issues. I can't take nothin' fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oh right View Post
    Beantown, I imagine you're taking the Advil or Aleeve for the arthritis. I've been on a prescribed nsaid for years and years. It should be better on your stomach than the over-the-counter ones. You have to let the doctor know that you're dealing with arthritis as well as the pain from the injury. There are special meds for RA.
    Also, for the cold sores, a doctor prescribed Zovirax (acyclovir) for me many years ago. I still have the same little tube and it works! I thought Abreeva would contain the same ingredient, but it's totally different. I wouldn't pay $1 for it.

It's weird to get nausea from a patch. I thought the whole point of a patch was to avoid the digestive (GI) tract.
    Nausea from pain meds isn't always due to it affecting the gi tract directly. There's a vomiting center in the brain (made up of 2 specific areas of the brain) that control nausea and vomiting. While the gi tract can send signals to that area to cause you to puke, the signals can originate from the brain, too. Therefore, meds do not have to pass through your digestive system to cause that reaction. And how do i know this? From working in the radiology department of a level 1 trauma center....where they'd give patients IV pain meds, then send them down to my department where they'd proceed to hurl all over the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Quote Originally Posted by neenerneener View Post
    Nausea from pain meds isn't always due to it affecting the gi tract directly. There's a vomiting center in the brain (made up of 2 specific areas of the brain) that control nausea and vomiting. While the gi tract can send signals to that area to cause you to puke, the signals can originate from the brain, too. Therefore, meds do not have to pass through your digestive system to cause that reaction. And how do i know this? From working in the radiology department of a level 1 trauma center....where they'd give patients IV pain meds, then send them down to my department where they'd proceed to hurl all over the place.
    Get out of my brain, woman.

I know it because we give pts IV morphine and then they hurl in my ambulance.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkerDuckie View Post
    Get out of my brain, woman.

I know it because we give pts IV morphine and then they hurl in my ambulance.
    aren't you allowed to premed with zofran or anything? I don't understand why the docs at the hospital didn't just do that. It drove me nuts. I'd be back in the tech area, eating my dinner, and get interrupted by the lovely heaving sounds. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

We do. Guess which med works faster? Lol

Well, I guess I'm lucky I've never had the nausea problem. I'm on Voltaren and Ultram for scoliosis and arthritis.
    In physical therapy, I found the TENS unit helpful. I got a whole body massage mat for home use, and it really is helpful.

Butrans gave me chest pains. I'm on 50mcg fentanyl patches, tramadol for breakthrough pain. My pain is not under control with this combo.
    Tegaderm is great stuff, it's in the Nexcare packs at walgreens http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/nex...361001-product but I'd get it on ebay (haven't yet, plan to but this person has good FB and CHEAP!!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEGADERM-TRA...item3cb959b897 but check the size of your patch make sure it'll fit )
    Oh, and now my patches start to ITCH after an hour or two. I also get the itches from some opiates (oxy is the worst for me) but one of the meds I take for nausea (promethazine) is also an antihistamine so it sort of helps. Promethazine, though, can also increase the effects of pain meds so this may not be a good fit for your nausea if the meds are already making you loopy. Zofran is a'ight. I'd make sure to get the ODT (the ones that melt in your mouth) since they work faster. I like the fruity ones better than the minty ones.
    Last edited by Feetprints; 05-25-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by oh right View Post
    Well, I guess I'm lucky I've never had the nausea problem. I'm on Voltaren and Ultram for scoliosis and arthritis.
    In physical therapy, I found the TENS unit helpful. I got a whole body massage mat for home use, and it really is helpful.

sorry, bumping this because i missed a lot of these replies. Thanks everyone. Very helpful. She put me back on the things. Uhh. someone said if i spray my inhaler where i place the patch it won't itch. It works. lol.
    And YES. I want one of these tens unit badly. How do i get one? Can my doc write a precription for it and i could get it cheaper? This would rock so much. I heard they work great.

Also, i switched to aleve. They seem to work better. And i'm looking at my posts in this thread and see all my typo o's! hahahaa. I'm too lazy to fix them all.
    It's because of these useless twigs i have for fingers. And they keep coming unstuck. looked at those tegaderm things and they want fifteen bucks for 4 of them. So redick.

Your doc or pt can prescribe a tens unit, might even be able to loan/rent you one so you can try it before you buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Your doc or pt can prescribe a tens unit, might even be able to loan/rent you one so you can try it before you buy.
    Thanks.
    Oh yes, i gotta have one. It is like the electric stimulation thing right? They used to do it when i went to the chiropracter.

Quote Originally Posted by Beantown Bitch View Post
    Also, i switched to aleve. They seem to work better. And i'm looking at my posts in this thread and see all my typo o's! hahahaa. I'm too lazy to fix them all.
    It's because of these useless twigs i have for fingers. And they keep coming unstuck. looked at those tegaderm things and they want fifteen bucks for 4 of them. So redick.
    Yes, switching to a different NSAID often helps. You develop an immunity, I think.

My HMO never gave me TENS unit. I was hoping I'd be able to continue working with a portable unit, but they never gave me the info. Giving me a website to order an upper back brace was big deal for them.

I clicked on the first website that came up in my search. They have inexpensive units. Look around.
    http://www.tensunits.com/

Yes, make sure your insurance covers the TENS unit before getting it from your doc. Don't trust their office to verify it for you, call yourself. Hubby got one from the doc because they had told him his insurance would cover it- NOPE, we got a bill for almost $300. You can find them online, as oh right says, for a lot less. Ebay has them a lot (but you'd want to do a bit of research to see which brands are decent quality before buying off ebay) and cheaper replacement electrodes. Amazon also has a nice selection of reasonably priced replacement electrodes in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

And tegaderm- EBAY! Much cheaper. http://tinyurl.com/kvxhopj just an example, tons come up in a seach in all sizes and shapes :)
    Last edited by Feetprints; 08-25-2013 at 03:11 PM.

oh wow, thanks feet...that one saves 5 bucks, i will have to keep looking. I wonder if i could get a script for those too. I am on medicaid so just have to see what they will cover. All my meds now are like 2 and 3 bucks or so.

Here's a link to a search for "transparent dressing" which brings up some other tegaderm type products by other companies as well.
    http://tinyurl.com/mdt45yu

And on amazon as well.
    http://tinyurl.com/nywdvr9
    You should be able to find what you need a lot cheaper with either option you choose.

My experience with medicaid covering OTC products with a script has been pretty spotty. GI wrote me a script for stool softeners and I did get a bottle of 60 for $3 (quite a bit cheaper than out of pocket since he wanted me on a certain type which was $$$) but I've also had them refuse to cover OTC drugs as well. I'd ask the doc, worst case you've only wasted a few minutes of time.
    Last edited by Feetprints; 08-25-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Yes, thanks so much . you rock. Now, i'm just having a hard time about the size i need to get. I don't think the 2-3/8" x 2-3/4" will be big enough. i'm thinking the 4"x4 3/4" ? My patch is like 2inches both ways. I looked at a few already. Thank so much.

Sorry everyone, apparently i'm not allowed to make threads here so thanks for all the awesome replies. you guys rock.

Sorry to hear your in pain. Have you tried duragesic (fentalyl)? It comes in patches and lollipops, I would suggest u ask Dr if he can give you phenergan butt stickers for nausea.
    I am in Pain Management and I switch between Opana ir 10 and Dilaudid ir 8 and nothing for breakthrough because here in Ga and SC our laws suck.
    Best of luck and feel free to ask me anything. I'll read through your thread now.

You may want to go to http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/ which is a HARM REDUCTION site. You can learn a lot about your meds and how to make them work better for your situation. I have learned much from these guys. There is a pain management thread as well as individual threads for all types of medications, legal and illegal.
    Last edited by u2addict; 08-27-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Edited to add bluelight.

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

One of my nausea meds, promethazine, is often used to potentiate opiates which is why I requested it. It helps with the pain sometimes but I can't really take it the "best" way to use it for that or I'd run out before the month is up.

I've asked for Opana and told my doc the closest to complete relief I've gotten was when I got some dilaudid in the ER for a flare. Doc was not impressed. I'm on fentanyl 50mcg and percocet 5/325. I'm not sure if the doc's plan is the fentanyl with perc for breakthrough or if they're both supposed to be maintenance meds with nothing for breakthrough, tbh, but I count the perc for breakthrough myself.

Sorry to hear your pain. I am a marathon runner and I suffered from runners knees for years. I used TENS units too and I enjoyed a mode called DEEP TISSUE MASSAGING. It really feels like the electrode pads can reach the muscle deeper inside. And I usually use it after I had a bath from the marathon training. It really relaxed my day. You guys can get it from www.healthmateforever.com or their amazon offical store. The model I used is PRO15AB, and I bought it with a discount for 50 bucks.

Thread Information