Page 501 of 1606 FirstFirst ... 401 451 491 499 500 501 502 503 511 551 601 1001 1501 ... LastLast
Results 12,501 to 12,525 of 40146

Thread: Jodi Ann Arias shot and stabbed her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander to death (Part II)

Quote Originally Posted by oh right View Post
    DeMarte mentioned Adjustment Disorder, but Juan cut her off. (whatever that means)
    From the short piece I heard, it sounded like DeMarte was fixing to talk about how a situation (like being in jail) causes an adjustment disorder.

I'm sure both JM and JDM were expecting this line of questioning from the DT. JM obviously felt this witness's testimony, regardless of experience, would come across as credible, and it has. On the stand she was a breath of fresh air when being compared to RS And AL. Their testimony was forced, rehearsed and obviously tailored. The jurors will be able to tell the difference between the professionalism of JDM and RS/AL. Any impartial person can see the difference and understand when facts and information are being skewed in order to come to a pre determined outcome. JDM showed clear and concise reasons and unadulterated facts backing up her assessment of JA; while at the same time discrediting the defence witnesses less than impartial diagnoses. This witness is credible and this is why she is on the stand for the prosecution.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyp View Post
    the problem with ALV is that she hasn't kept up with ongoing progress in her field.. she's "old fashioned" and old school... about 20 years behind the "state of the art" in psychology. So Demarte's "youth" works in her favor because she is actually more up-to-date, with technology (Alyce doesn't know computers, doesn't do "gmailing") more current with treatment trends and diagnosis. Older and more experienced, in this case, does not add up to wiser.
    Yes. Dr. D should have said; No, I would not have supervised her in 1980, I would supervise her now....33 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianadalba View Post
    this is absolutely hilarious!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTUL6P6mQAg
    I love this video. One of the few times I actually laugh out loud, not just 'lol'

Quote Originally Posted by denn View Post
    They are going to try to tear her down with respect to her experience.
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Cocopop View Post
    Written below from post above

I guess I was just a little bit ....cont.
    Snipped.
    Thank you, and everyone who posted this. I really hate getting snippets, but beggars can't be choosers.

Quote Originally Posted by tinaturner View Post
    Cholas in da house! Now we see where she got the idea that wispy baby bangs are acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocopop View Post
    She seems wise beyond her years.
    Plus we knew the defense was going to take a crack at her being a scholar with so little experience in the field.
    I haven't yet found her to be less than spectacular. She seems to be filled with knowledge, even far beyond the years the two previous witness's had, she comes off professional & matter of fact. I think she'll continue to be solid< imo
    ^This ^ Also, I love how when she gets into an explanation she exudes a slightly restrained exuberance. She must be an amazing teacher because it is obvious that she loves her profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermomma View Post
    Does anyone know what happened Jodi's aunt? I haven't seen her in court once since it was rumored that Dr. Phil was paying her mother to take notes.
    I was wondering this too. I thought she kinda disappeared when the interrogation tapes of JA's mom and dad were released, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Placroix View Post
    After these photos, the next gallery of pics is Travis' funeral. Am I the only one that thinks this is odd? I have never known anyone to take photos at a funeral.
    It's not that odd to me. People have been photographing their dead loved ones since the 1800's. I wish there was a video or photos of my grandfathers funeral when I 13. I try and remember details, but as time has gone on, my memory has faded drastically. Another reason to take pictures would be to send them to someone who wasn't able to make it to the funeral, but could maybe get some closure from viewing the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Freethinker View Post
    I thought JW was an extreme witch with her pounding statements about JDM having no compassion. Those were low blows. I'm sure JDM has a degree of compassion, but keeps it in check so she can evaluate without bias.
    I don't want JW to stop. The more she tries to "mirror" Juan, the more she shows HER inexperience. It is glaring and the jury, I'm sure, has noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    I thought yesterday was a good day. JM's Dr was very good on the stand with him. Her answers were short and to the point. She also got in some really GOOD statements about Jodi. And she pieced together just fine Dr. Fog's bubble sheets and how ridiculous his record keeping was. IMO, I bet the jury is picking up on the defense stalling just to keep the money meter going.

On the other side: If I was a defense lawyer, I would have also attacked her experience and the Dr's statement about compassion.
    I thought Palin was doing good, but then she got all turned around and confused again.
    I'm not sure how Palin is going to try to discredit her and rehab Alyce at the same time. I def. think Alyce did the most damage to the defense than any other witness. IMO, I don't think Alyce can be rehabbed to much with the jury.

From the people in the courtroom that observed-they all say the jury was writing notes yesterday, and they didn't look bored. I suspect that Palin will still attack the dr. today on experience, but I really don't think it's going to work that well at all. That is really all Palin has on this doctor.

HLN said that the defense also gets to do a rebuttal to the rebuttal. If that's true, that sucks!!
    We are all sitting here as armchair experts in psychology, such an untouchable field of work. It's so not cut and dry like a job of bookkeeper, waitress, CEO of a company etc. Though some of JDM's employment seems short to us, we have absolutely no idea if that was enough time or not to apply her knowledge, then move onto another phase of psychology and apply her knowledge to that.
    JW will attempt to rip her apart today. If JM retained her 2 years ago, he must have had great confidence in her, even then.
    I think JW's attack on the word compassion will turn off the jury, that was really harsh. How does one answer the word compassion? No matter how JDM answers it, it's wrong in JW's eyes.

Wonder how long JW will keep Dr. DeMarte on the stand this morning?

I can't wait to get to the witness that is going to testify about the altercation at the Hughes house where JA confronted Skye and then refused to leave their home after being asked to. That's going to be fun to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Freethinker View Post
    Yes. And she pointed out the Dr. couldn't mentor her because she wasn't born!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm just catching up on the trial, since my live feed doesn't work well anymore, and I have to watch it on Youtube.
    I really don't think this was a boom moment at all. In fact, Alyce LaViolette STILL has her masters. It doesn't matter when she got it. She hasn't gone any further in her education, so she would STILL be supervised by Dr. DeMarte.
    I'm sorry but I think JW was being ridiculously catty and it isn't attractive.

It's not weird to take photos at a funeral. Well, I think it's weird, but people do it all the time, so it's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverClipper View Post
    Wonder how long JW will keep Dr. DeMarte on the stand this morning?

I can't wait to get to the witness that is going to testify about the altercation at the Hughes house where JA confronted Skye and then refused to leave their home after being asked to. That's going to be fun to listen to.

I'm looking forward to the Walmart witness... it should be great premeditation evidence but also because I've driven by the Salinas Walmart so many times and my wife has shopped there... Jodi has a lot of history within a 20 mile radius of where we live.

Maybe this world is another planet's hell
    Aldous Huxley

[QUOTE=Placroix;3393052]
    Quote Originally Posted by PopRocks View Post
    yea theres a grip of pics here

http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/...race-exclusive[/QUOTE

After these photos, the next gallery of pics is Travis' funeral. Am I the only one that thinks this is odd? I have never known anyone to take photos at a funeral.
    I think it's a pretty morbid thing to do.
    Down in a hole, feelin' so small
    Down in a hole, losin' control
    I'd like to fly,
    But my wings have been so denied

Quote Originally Posted by zeebee View Post
    It's not weird to take photos at a funeral. Well, I think it's weird, but people do it all the time, so it's normal.
    Memorial photos used to be common. There were photographers who specialized in funeral photos.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Quote Originally Posted by Doll-Face View Post
    I'm just catching up on the trial, since my live feed doesn't work well anymore, and I have to watch it on Youtube.
    I really don't think this was a boom moment at all. In fact, Alyce LaViolette STILL has her masters. It doesn't matter when she got it. She hasn't gone any further in her education, so she would STILL be supervised by Dr. DeMarte.
    I'm sorry but I think JW was being ridiculously catty and it isn't attractive.
    you 'ed it

Aldous Huxley

Pittsburgh Steelers Rock Cocopop's Avatar
    From the short piece I heard, it sounded like DeMarte was fixing to talk about how a situation (like being in jail) causes an adjustment disorder.
    Right, because the defense witness's seemed to over look that fact or take that (being incarcerated) into consideration.
    JA was likely not used to, the feeling of not being in control.
    So having depression or thoughts of suicide is not unlikely & being locked up surely has contributed to those feelings. I'd be willing to bet that at the times she indicated thoughts of suicide in her earlier years, were brought on by her love life, or lack of, & were only attention getting, even if only to herself.
    I am sure we all have a time or two, been so depressed, that ugly thoughts arise. But imo people who threaten suicide seldom follow through with it. It is usually the opposite, one's whom had "never" threatened suicide, or say anything or give any real clues to what they plan to do.
    {Berm--> going golfing after the break for lunch recess, so I am really relying on your recaps today}

Dollface, as Cara stated above JW is trying to mirror JM. Unfortunately for her she not articulate enough to pull it off. She tries to be firm in order to hammer a point home but ends up stumbling and crossing herself up. It's actually quite amusing and sad at the same time. She is also mistaking JM confidence for snarkiness, and in doing so is coming across as adolescent in her demeanor when trying to mimic him. On another somewhat related note, it is becoming apparent that the DT is becoming ever so concerned and wrapped up in JM, that they have lost their focus in their case.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    Memorial photos used to be common. There were photographers who specialized in funeral photos.
    I collect antique photos and they used to take death photos that would seem strange even macabre (to us)... and these days doesn't everything get chronicled in photos? Not necessarily by a hired photographer but by I-phones etc.

Aldous Huxley

I thought yesterday was a good day. JM's Dr was very good on the stand with him. Her answers were short and to the point. She also got in some really GOOD statements about Jodi.

On the other side: If I was a defense lawyer, I would have also attacked her experience and the Dr's statement about compassion.
    I thought Palin was doing good, but then she got all turned around and confused again.

HLN said that the defense also gets to do a rebuttal to the rebuttal. If that's true, that sucks!!

Yes, I was impressed with the Dr's testimony as well. Wilmott's cross-exam so far has been very hard to follow; she is coming across like a total airhead and very nervous. She seems a little intimidated by Dr. D's credentials.

Defense rebuttal? Noooooooooo, please no!

Just a quick note on adjustment disorders. They usually occur after a major event. Divorce, death of a loved one, job loss...not so much to the extreme of say a man-made or natural trauma. Going to jail would qualify. Adjustment Disorders have a time limited duration of up to 6 months and then one may want to re-evaluate for PTSD which imo is why JM cut her off. He didn't want to go down that road!
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; They listen with the intent to reply." ~ anonymous
    "Keep calm and sing Soft Kitty"
    "it is what it is!"

I collect antique photos and they used to take death photos that would seem strange even macabre (to us)... and these days doesn't everything get chronicled in photos? Not necessarily by a hired photographer but by I-phones etc.

Often, that funeral photo was the only photo taken of that life. Family couldn't fly in for the funeral and it was months if not years in between visits. Funeral photos were treasured.
    I am also fascinated in cemetery photography.

and now back to your regularly scheduled topic. sorry for the veer off.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Pittsburgh Steelers Rock Cocopop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImBatman! View Post
    Just a quick note on adjustment disorders. They usually occur after a major event. Divorce, death of a loved one, job loss...not so much to the extreme of say a man-made or natural trauma. Going to jail would qualify. Adjustment Disorders have a time limited duration of up to 6 months and then one may want to re-evaluate for PTSD which imo is why JM cut her off. He didn't want to go down that road!
    Hhmmm Interesting... TY for enlightening us.

Quote Originally Posted by ImBatman! View Post
    what about the duration and depth of Jodi's (claimed) memory loss and "fight or flight" effects that Demarte tried to debunk? Is it solid testimony that "higher brain functions" like deleting photos, cleaning crime scene etc are inconsistent with someone in the throws of an adrenaline fueled fight or flight episode? I mean people supposedly drive around town in an "Ambien fog" (and don't remember anything). is their any validity to that?

Aldous Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by Metis212 View Post
    I am familiar with the psychology program in Michigan, it is a top notch program. Demarte is solid.
    She is indeed. I loved how she unflappingly called the defense experts behaviors into question -- it's just common sense. And Alyce spending 44 hours interviewing Arias calls into question her integrity. No one needs that much time, unless they're just bilking the state out of monies for her retirement. I bet Ms. Laviolette bills 100+ hours for her advocacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metis212 View Post
    Apparently Jodi interacting with more seasoned clinicians leads to a disorganized cluster fuck. it got all twisty.
    Because Jodi ruins everything. She's like Sherman marching to the sea, leaving a trail of waste.

Hey folks, wasn't around yesterday but did watch the fab Dr J Demarte. She was fantastic! Eloquent, professional and unbiased. JW didn't have a hope. I knew she would try to attack her experience, utterly ridiculous.
    I have heard rumours there is going to be more rebuttal witnesses in relation to the video HLN had of Travis talking about the mugging he was involved in? True? False?

In my mind, what hurts the defense more than anything is this witness's calm, concise answers. Both State and Defense are getting easy to understand, short answers.
    And I believe they have told Jodi to keep her head down. They do not want the Jury seeing her expressions.

what about the duration and depth of Jodi's (claimed) memory loss and "fight or flight" effects that Demarte tried to debunk? Is it solid testimony that "higher brain functions" like deleting photos, cleaning crime scene etc are inconsistent with someone in the throws of an adrenaline fueled fight or flight episode? I mean people supposedly drive around town in an "Ambien fog" (and don't remember anything). is their any validity to that?
    She did debunk that claim I thought pretty clearly. If you think about someone in a fight or flight mode it is adrenaline fueled and time limited due to the bodies natural ability to produce adrenaline, it only can make so much. In the "heat of the moment" if you will when you are trying to save your life one is not thinking rationally enough to say "oh I better delete these photos." After the adrenaline rush ceases your "higher brain functions" can reengage once the person is out of danger. Kind of like an "oh shit" moment!
    And since Ambien is a man-made chemical it effects the brain in a different way and everyone's chemistry is different so they will react differently to that substance. Ambien scares the hell outta me!!
    Its early and my "higher functioning brain" has not engage yet so I hope this made sense or helped!
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; They listen with the intent to reply." ~ anonymous
    "Keep calm and sing Soft Kitty"
    "it is what it is!"

Quote Originally Posted by zeebee View Post
    When my grandmother died they took a picture of her in the coffin to send to her family in Portugal. Then when my step-grandmother died my mother took a picture of her to send to my brother, who is a Marine and stationed in California, so he could see her one last time. As strange as *I* think it is I think it is more common than we realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvian View Post
    Hey folks, wasn't around yesterday but did watch the fab Dr J Demarte. She was fantastic! Eloquent, professional and unbiased. JW didn't have a hope. I knew she would try to attack her experience, utterly ridiculous.
    Not ridiculous, totally appropriate and her job as a defense atty. Martinez would be doing exactly the same thing if he was doing the cross-exam (except his would be more effective) and you would be jumping up and down cheering him on.

Thread Information