Page 705 of 1606 FirstFirst ... 205 605 655 695 703 704 705 706 707 715 755 805 1205 ... LastLast
Results 17,601 to 17,625 of 40141

Thread: Jodi Ann Arias shot and stabbed her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander to death (Part II)

I had the privilege of being a juror on a Murder 1 case 2 yrs ago.... 2 counts of murder one, 2 counts of aggravated assault ... 2 dead young men, young defendant who fled to NC for 2 years. Young female prosecutor, middle aged defense atty who appeared uninterested and a regal looking female judge who just exuded class ... her court room was run efficiently . The jurors ranged from 21 to 60's ... trial took two weeks. One of the jurors was excused 8 days in because of a scheduling conflict. There was forensic evidence but the gun deft used was never recovered. We could take notes but the notebooks were collected by clerk at the end of the day. The witnesses for the prosecution were all in jail at time of trial but had been involved in the fight that turned into a shootout on a June day in 2006. My co-jurors took our responsibility very seriously. Our deliberations lasted about two hours and we agreed on all counts. The judge came in t o talk to us and said we did the right thing. The deft was offered 2nd degree by the State and could have been released in
    15 years but refused. She said that since he was found guilty of two counts of first degree murder, the sentence was automatic life without parole. We each had to stand and affirm our individual verdict. My heart was pounding. It was an incredible experience. I have a lot of respect for prosecutors. This woman was about 30 . She handled all of her exhibits alone and they were marked with t he name of the accomplice who had been tried two years before. The state does not have a lot of funds so I can see where they have to be selective about hiring experts. Anyway just wanted to share that. I know how I stressed I felt regarding judging someone guilty of first degree murder without the death penalty. I will say a prayer for them when the case is turned over to them.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves" .. Confucius
    "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation " ...... Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Metis212 View Post
    That and a special diet of brain pudding.
    You HAD to go there, didn't you...you HAD to bring it up...

BRAIN PUDDING!

Quote Originally Posted by tiggrrl72077 View Post
    No problem :) I don't mind answering questions about it. I appreciate when people ask. ChelseyDawn is great about answering questions about the LDS faith too. In fact she is way more knowledgeable than I am. :)
    Not only that--she is a Mormon Ninja!

Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    Random Favorite Trial Moment

Wordnerd Jodi is asked about GMT and brutally mispronounces it as "GREEN-Witch mean time".

Computer dude does the same thing. Green Witch.

I know Arizona is far from New York and England, but it should sound more like Grenich!!! For fuck's sake you're making our country look dumb!!!
    hate to break it to you nut, but it is acceptable
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/greenwich?s=t
    "Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are" --- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Harlette View Post
    that makes sense what you are saying - but the one thing the defense never touched on was how could jodi have done all she did after the murder if she really had battere womens syndrome and was in a fog?? is there an explanation for that?
    I thought JM would have asked LaViolette this! "Is it usual for battered women who kill in self defense to immediately drive ten hours to yet another state and grind with a new potential victim, err, I mean partner?" Maybe he did and I missed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Brillig View Post
    I only found this case after the trial started, and became fascinated quickly. I was slogging through it all on my own until I stumbled upon this site. I was looking for more good info on the case, and this site had lots. Then the more posts I read, the more I was drawn in by the interesting and like minded people and their many different ideas and theories.
    I've been following since I watched the first 48hrs in 2009. I was intrigued by JA's demeanor, and at that time, the show left you with a lot of questions. I didn't start finding more information about the case until October 2012. This conclusion has been a long time coming!

Wordnerd Jodi is asked about GMT and brutally mispronounces it as "GREEN-Witch mean time".

I know Arizona is far from New York and England, but it should sound more like Grenich!!! For fuck's sake you're making our country look dumb!!!
    I was shouting at the stream on both occasions! It's more like gren-itch!

Quote Originally Posted by 2StarsOnMyBack View Post
    I'm loving the "I'm so fucked" look Jodi has been sporting since yesterday. It's finally dawning on her that she is not getting out of this one.
    I think so too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    Maybe the dog was there because JM just dropped a bomb on the Defense's Case.

ZING! I'll be here all week. <curtain>

Quote Originally Posted by denn View Post
    I am so surprised JM never called a trajectory expert on the angle of the shot. It would show Travis had to so much lower than Stabby with she fired at him.
    Hinestly, I don't think it was necessary. JM seems to run a streamlined show, he only does what he feels is necessary; unlike the defense who would bore us for many more weeks if they could IMHO. In any case, I think there is wisdom in only presenting what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by PopRocks View Post
    I dont know why some people are getting depressed. The facts havent changed at all, and this past week we have seen some good evidence introduced to disprove almost everything jodi has claimed so far
    I don't know why either, I think this week was FANTASTIC for the state.

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    I agree. I think everything went VERY favorably in coming to justice. I think JM scored some major brownie points with the jury this week too, in his speedy/effective examinations. While Nurmi was still slow as ever, and even somewhat insulting to poor Deanna; the jury will pick up on that.
    Totally agreed!!!!
    "...Jeffrey Dahmer... actually confessed and accepted his punishment. Had real remorse for the sick things he did. It's pretty bad when Jeffrey Dahmer is a better person than you are." ~Justice11 (re: Jodi Arias)

For the record I have been mormon my entire life and I've never heard of a "Protection Ritual" I have been through the temple although I am currently not temple worthy. He could have been praying but there is not a "Protection Ritual" I'm not sure where you got your information.
    Some people take unfounded information too seriously just to have something to play with in this case. Sadly, some decide to use the Mormon religion.
    There is absolutely no evidence Travis said or did any such thing.
    "Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are" --- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by wasthinking View Post
    OMG, ever see Faces of Death?
    Yikes! Had never heard of it. Looked it up, and that is SO not my kind of film.

Were you crying when you were stabbing him? --SuperJuan Martinez
    Nobody believes a word out of your mouth. Why do you keep talking? -- ABC Interviewer to JA

Originally Posted by tiggrrl72077
    For the record I have been mormon my entire life and I've never heard of a "Protection Ritual" I have been through the temple although I am currently not temple worthy. He could have been praying but there is not a "Protection Ritual" I'm not sure where you got your information.
    Some people take unfounded information too seriously just to have something to play with in this case. Sadly, some decide to use the Mormon religion.
    There is absolutely no evidence Travis said or did any such thing.
    Does anyone know if stabby is still claiming to be Mormon? and if so, is she allowed to wear her "garments" in jail?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I had the privilege of being a juror on a Murder 1 case 2 yrs ago.... 2 counts of murder one, 2 counts of aggravated assault ... 2 dead young men, young defendant who fled to NC for 2 years. Young female prosecutor, middle aged defense atty who appeared uninterested and a regal looking female judge who just exuded class ... her court room was run efficiently . The jurors ranged from 21 to 60's ... trial took two weeks. One of the jurors was excused 8 days in because of a scheduling conflict. There was forensic evidence but the gun deft used was never recovered. We could take notes but the notebooks were collected by clerk at the end of the day. The witnesses for the prosecution were all in jail at time of trial but had been involved in the fight that turned into a shootout on a June day in 2006. My co-jurors took our responsibility very seriously. Our deliberations lasted about two hours and we agreed on all counts. The judge came in t o talk to us and said we did the right thing. The deft was offered 2nd degree by the State and could have been released in
    15 years but refused. She said that since he was found guilty of two counts of first degree murder, the sentence was automatic life without parole. We each had to stand and affirm our individual verdict. My heart was pounding. It was an incredible experience. I have a lot of respect for prosecutors. This woman was about 30 . She handled all of her exhibits alone and they were marked with t he name of the accomplice who had been tried two years before. The state does not have a lot of funds so I can see where they have to be selective about hiring experts. Anyway just wanted to share that. I know how I stressed I felt regarding judging someone guilty of first degree murder without the death penalty. I will say a prayer for them when the case is turned over to them.
    I agree, the jury in this case has a lot of soul searching to do during deliberations. They will need prayers if you believe in that sort of thing. A woman's life is in their hands. I'd be remiss if I didn't say that it would be hard to sentence a person to death. But in this case, I believe that the evidence justifies that sentence. Jodi does not appear to have any feelings about anybody but herself. The way she killed Travis was an act of cruelty beyond what most could comprehend. I do believe that she planned it and of course thought it would end up with a different outcome than her being on trial for life. I can only hope, that Travis's family get some solace out of knowing that justice was done. Thanks for that story, I know it must have been hard to do what you did but in the end you probably already know you did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I find it hilarious that YOU are acting all high and mighty toward us when you're posting on here just like anyone else and in addition, defending a murderer. A child murderer, at that. Go fuck a Popsicle.

hate to break it to you nut, but it is acceptable
    Ever been to Greenwich? Don't say it like Jodi or you'll get slapped.

Quote Originally Posted by olgasbunghole View Post
    Originally Posted by tiggrrl72077

Does anyone know if stabby is still claiming to be Mormon? and if so, is she allowed to wear her "garments" in jail?
    Even if she is still claiming to be Mormon she never went through the temple so she wouldn't have garments. Only worthy members, who have been through the temple, wear garments.
    I'm not sure if she still claims to be Mormon. I'm pretty sure she did on the 48 hours interview but I don't know anymore

Quote Originally Posted by *crickets* View Post
    Like several other members have said, I'm feeling a bit let down today. It seems like we're ending not with a bang but a whimper.

To me it kinda feels like both sides are fed up and just going thru the motions...like yesterday when Nurmi had no questions for the Walmart lady, just couldn't be arsed as our UK friends would say. It was a big issue going against his case and there were things I was wondering about but he apparently just couldn't be bothered. And Martinez, rushing thru the closet shelf stuff yesterday and today not bringing up the bullet trajectory with the ME at all is puzzling, especially after he had taken such pains to have Jodi get up in front of the jury to demonstrate the linebacker pose earlier. IIRC he asked the judge for permission to do the demonstration, they sent the jury out, had her do the pose, then brought the jury back in and had her do it again. And then, nothing. Why do all that and then not do anything with it?

It just feels a little half-hearted this week, from both sides...
    I think until closing arguments are done, we shouldn't judge JM's tactics. Do you honestly think he's just going through the motions? He's been prosecuting this case since day 1. He's not about to just ho-hum through the end now.
    People were criticizing him a bunch during the defense case saying he wasn't talking about premeditation. Yet really he established a lot of premeditation through out the case. And he backed it up this week with proof. He discredited the abuse and pedo accusations.
    He's still setting everything up for the end, when the defense can't come back and try and act like the jury is stupid.

Wow. Can I ask you if you had formed any opinions before the deliberations began? was there any point that it just hit you, whoa, guilty? or did the deliberations sway you one way or the other? did you vote first and then ask questions to confirm verdict, i.e were there holdouts and needed to see and talk about things inorder to reach their opinion? how important was the forensics? I have a billion questions... feel like a jerk for asking so many, but I am sooo curious how a jury deliberates once it starts

Ever been to Greenwich? Don't say it like Jodi or you'll get slapped.
    You are being ridiculous now. The trial isn't in Greenwich. geesh

Even if she is still claiming to be Mormon she never went through the temple so she wouldn't have garments. Only worthy members, who have been through the temple, wear garments.
    I'm not sure if she still claims to be Mormon. I'm pretty sure she did on the 48 hours interview but I don't know anymore
    thank you, and it's good to know that she's never been worthy of even receiving garments.

Quote Originally Posted by alyoop View Post
    Wow. Can I ask you if you had formed any opinions before the deliberations began? was there any point that it just hit you, whoa, guilty? or did the deliberations sway you one way or the other? did you vote first and then ask questions to confirm verdict, i.e were there holdouts and needed to see and talk about things inorder to reach their opinion? how important was the forensics? I have a billion questions... feel like a jerk for asking so many, but I am sooo curious how a jury deliberates once it starts
    Me too, I'd love to hear more.

Was she ever really Mormon? I think it was all a mask for Travis... jmo
    I don't think she gave a fig about Mormon philosophy, principle or religion... it was all for Travis. Travis wants a nice Mormon girl, I will BE that girl

The case Nurmi cited was: State v. Talmadge, 999 P. 2d 192 - Ariz:Supreme Court 2000

In that case, the Defendant was charged with criminal child abuse when her child was found to have broken bones.
    Defendant hired Dr. Marvin Miller to testify as her principal (temporary brittle Bone Disease) TBBD expert. It was Dr. Miller?s opinion that the child had temporary brittle bone disease.

For whatever reason, Dr. Miller (who was from Ohio) could not appear for trial in Arizona so defendant picked another expert on TBBD, Dr. Colin Paterson of Scotland who was arguably the world's preeminent TBBD expert.

Because of money concerns, the defense ended up hiring Dr. Richard Roberts, who, in his career, had diagnosed only one TBBD patient and clearly lacked the experience and credentials of either Miller or Paterson.

At the eleventh hour, defense counsel listed the amazing Dr. Paterson as a surrebuttal witness. The State moved to exclude his testimony because he was identified so late.

Poor Dr. Roberts testified for defendant and apparently did not do a very good job.

The State's expert, Dr. Erickson, destroyed Dr. Robert's credibility. Basically made him look like a bufoon.

Defendant ended up convicted of criminal child abuse and sentenced to two consecutive seventeen year sentences.

On appeal, the Arizona Supreme court found that Dr. Patterson's testimony should not have been excluded. The following is an excerpt from the court's opinion:

Surrebuttal testimony may be offered to introduce evidence in response to new rebuttal testimony or to impeach rebuttal testimony and must be more than cumulative. See id. at 319-20, 585 P.2d at 1231-32. "Only in rare cases will it be error for the trial court to refuse to admit the testimony." Id. at 319, 585 P.2d at 1231.

Evidence that is merely cumulative is generally held inadmissible when proferred as surrebuttal testimony. See State v. Jensen, 153 Ariz. 171, 179, 735 P.2d 781, 789 (1987) (surrebuttal testimony inadmissible as "cumulative and unnecessary to any fair and proper determination[s] of the issues"). Paterson's testimony, on the other hand, would have been more than cumulative. It was also corroborative in that it "went to the heart of appellants' defense." State v. Kennedy, 122 Ariz. 22, 27, 592 P.2d 1288, 1293 (1979).

Moreover, Paterson's testimony was intended to impeach Erickson, something he was capable of doing based in part on his vast experience in defining and diagnosing TBBD. Paterson has diagnosed in excess of 800 cases. Roberts, having diagnosed only one case, was incapable of the depth of analysis that Paterson's superior experience would afford. With Roberts' limited testimony, the defendant was left at a distinct disadvantage.

Specifically, Roberts was able to testify only that TBBD exists due to a problem in producing collagen, that he had diagnosed one case, and that he had heard of Paterson. He explained how pediatricians identify child abuse and that TBBD children have broken bones without any form of intervening trauma. He evaluated the child's medical records in this case and concluded that TBBD existed here. He also discussed some of Paterson's work.

Viewing Roberts' testimony in the broadest sense, he was able to do no more than describe TBBD and assert that the child suffered from the condition. Specific evidence indicates Roberts was able to give only the most sparse explanations of the disease by reason of his limited experience in diagnosis.

Dr. Erickson testified to reviewing Paterson's literature, severely critiqued Roberts by stating that no one took him seriously, criticized Paterson's work, and stated that TBBD did not exist. Had Paterson testified, he would have discussed the array of cases he has seen in light of his own experience and the diagnoses arising therefrom.

Both Paterson and Miller had the credentials to critique and evaluate Erickson's assessment of TBBD and Erickson's harsh criticisms of Roberts. Roberts clearly lacked those credentials. Moreover, Erickson, on rebuttal, raised Roberts' credibility anew. By reason of that alone, since Miller could not be brought in, the defense should have been given the opportunity to call Paterson as a surrebuttal witness. Based on these extraordinary facts, the "rare case" of an abuse of discretion by the trial court in refusing to admit surrebuttal testimony is present.

Accordingly, the trial court's ruling that excluded Paterson's testimony deprived the defendant of the only real opportunity she might have had to introduce meaningful exculpatory evidence. The exclusion culminated in her conviction and lengthy prison sentence. Had the evidence been allowed, she might have been absolved. Without it, she had little hope. The error is reversible.

In my humble opinion this case is not like Talmadge. First, as the Supreme Court noted the facts in that case were "extraordinary" and that "Only in rare cases will it be error for the trial court to refuse to admit the testimony."

The Talmadge Court found that Dr. Patterson's testimony would not have been cumulative Because the testimony of Dr. Patterson was more than cumulative. It was also corroborative in that it "went to the heart of appellants' defense."

Let's apply Talmadge to this case:

State charged JA with M1.

Defense was = self defense. Dr. LaViolette testified that the reason why JA killed TA was because she was justifiably scared of him based on a long history of domestic violence/abuse. According to a cherry picking of some of the many texts, LaViolette testified that JA was sweet, kind, quiet, did not respond to TA's tirades, basically that she was submissive.

The state rebutted Dr. LaViolette's testimony with Dr. DeMarte who testified that JA did not suffer Domestic violence. She, looked at OTHER texts and other evidence such as interviews with relatives which showed that JA was manipulative, aggressive, had stalking tendancies, changed to fit in with boyfriends, all signs of BPD.

NOW, the DT's proffered surrebuttal witness is Dr. G, a well regarded domestic violence/abuse expert. So, he is presumably there to bolster the domestic violence self defense theory. I have not seen the DT?' "offer of proof" so I do not know EXACTLY what he will testify to. I would imagine he will testify that TA's texts were abusive and that JA's behaviors were normal reactions for someone who had been subjected to domestic abuse/violence.

2 Million dollar question: should it be allowed in? I believe it is cumulative of LaViolate's testimony. JA= killed TA in self defense because she was a battered woman.

DeMarte offered another explanation for JA's behaviors and she identified other texts, witness testimony that JA crawled into windows, stalked. And that TRAVIS was afraid of Her.

What can Dr. G add to this? What exactly is he going to"?refute" that was new? There was testimony that TA was scared of her and called her a stalker. That fact that Dr. DeMarte believed JA had BPD does not deprive her of her self defense. It's a side issue. Its "collateral" to the main issue. She still said she was scared for her life when she killed him BPD or no BPD.

The problem with letting just so the Judge doesn't get reversedis it sets a bad precedent. Bad lawyering does not justify surrebuttal.

All that said: I do believe Judge Stevens will allow it for the simple reason that she does not want to be reversed.
    Last edited by Lady MacBeth; 04-25-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Out, damned spot! out, I say! .... Here?s the smell of the blood still: all the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand!

"Stop being dicks to noobs." -mydeathspace

Quote Originally Posted by denn View Post
    I would like to know if the judge has said to the defense that they can only have x amount of hours? Knowing Willmont, she will just give JM about 5 minutes.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    :o)

Quote Originally Posted by M Joy View Post
    I think until closing arguments are done, we shouldn't judge JM's tactics. Do you honestly think he's just going through the motions? He's been prosecuting this case since day 1. He's not about to just ho-hum through the end now.
    People were criticizing him a bunch during the defense case saying he wasn't talking about premeditation. Yet really he established a lot of premeditation through out the case. And he backed it up this week with proof. He discredited the abuse and pedo accusations.
    He's still setting everything up for the end, when the defense can't come back and try and act like the jury is stupid.
    Why not, Nurmi's are judged nonstop daily. No reason to have a double standard. It's not unreasonable to judge JMs equally. I kind of agree with cricket in that JM seemed tired the last couple of days. I think everyone is like a juror and may want different questions addressed. The problem is, there is no way that would ever happen. Some question will never be answered, some are stupid questions, some are too emotional and have little significance for the case and so on. But I don't think people are wrong to feel let down. It did end with a whimper. That's what reviews usually are but we've been spoiled partying to hard on JMs previous fire days. We all had our own Christmas lists made out lol. Heck I had hoped for more than brown hair and helio from Brown. Give me Intrusions, bank fraud - dammit, I didn't get them :( I feel like I got hand me downs and the wrapping was missing the bow.

The woman that Travis wanted to marry is on NG. She is beautiful. He wrote her the most amazing poem.

The pictures of Travis and Linda are really sad... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Harlette View Post
    that makes sense what you are saying - but the one thing the defense never touched on was how could jodi have done all she did after the murder if she really had battere womens syndrome and was in a fog?? is there an explanation for that?
    I didn't think the defense's explanation for Jodi's alleged amnesia was sufficient. Samuels' explanation was wacky. Had they been better at this game, they might have said Jodi's hippocampus was atrophied due to complex trauma and/or the personality disorder and that she was further traumatized by the "necessity" of killing Travis. But they failed miserably.

The prosecution was a step ahead of the amnesia claim and did the proper testing to show her "working memory" was intact. So intact that it was measurable on instruments commonly used with typical people. That was discussed during DeMarte's testimony. What i found fascinating was the defense experts (all 11 of them) approached Jodi with too many specialized tests which made it so easy to lie.

To me there is no evidence that Jodi has no memory. In fact, the actions Jodi took after the murder prove her brain was functioning on full throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by olgasbunghole View Post
    does anyone else on here get knots in their stomach from this trial? I swear that my blood pressure goes up and the knots get tighter with the thought.............. that one juror believes stabby!
    Yes. In fact, another defense guest on NC said he would be happy with the ME testimony, in that she did not use the gun first, so there goes premeditation. Here is another idea for Nurmi to latch on to.

You are being ridiculous now. The trial isn't in Greenwich. geesh
    It's like someone axing you a question...
    So that's why she didn't get pregnant. I didn't know that method works!
    Oh, coconut
    Thank you for the post. This is interesting. My question would be did the defendant take the stand?

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieBelle View Post
    I also think that a lot of our emotions come from knowing that the end of the trial is near. Over the last few months, the members of this thread have shared the ups and downs of following this trial. We have picked each other up, after we got the snot beaten out of us. We have laughed together, cried together, and tucked and rolled....together. As a group, we challenged one another, and ourselves, in the process. We learned to think outside the box, at times. And we've gained respect and wisdom for it all. It's like senior year, with graduation looming. I suddenly want to sing that song.....the one at the end of "Grease" Ramma Lamma Ding Dong.
    Now the song will be stuck in my head all night! I will miss this group as well. I am undecided on whether I will actually hang around after this is all over.

Thread Information