Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Antonio Santiago (1) shot, killed in stroller during robbery attempt by two boys

I do not understand this woman at all, if someone is threatening you with a gun, much less tells you they will shoot your baby, why would you refuse to give over your purse? What in the hell could be in there more valuable than your child's life ?

Quote Originally Posted by dianalyn View Post
    I do not understand this woman at all, if someone is threatening you with a gun, much less tells you they will shoot your baby, why would you refuse to give over your purse? What in the hell could be in there more valuable than your child's life ?
    I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't comment because I didn't want to make it seem as if I was condoning the robber's behavior. If someone tells you to give up your purse and they have a gun pointed at you, you give them your purse.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't comment because I didn't want to make it seem as if I was condoning the robber's behavior. If someone tells you to give up your purse and they have a gun pointed at you, you give them your purse.
    Yeah. That's pretty much SOP. Nothing in your bag is worth your life. I can understand that she might not have been able to conceive of the possibility that he'd actually shoot her baby. Sadly she was wrong.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/cr...-slaying-trial

Witness describes gun hiding in Brunswick baby slaying trial

(Aug. 26, 2013) MARIETTA, Ga. -- Prosecution witnesses testified this morning about seeing the accused baby shooter hiding his gun and his mother taking it to a pond.

The testimony kicked off the second week of the trial of De'Marquise Elkins, a Brunswick man accused of shooting to death 13-month-old Antonio Santiago and wounding his mother Sherry West during a botched robbery March 21. Elkins is being tried in Cobb County because of pre-trial news coverage in Glynn County.

His mother Karimah Aisha Elkins is being tried with him for evidence tampering and providing him a false alibi to police. Her daughter Sabrina Elkins is also charged with evidence tampering but will be tried separately.

After prosecutors showed the jury video of De'Marquise Elkins entering and leaving a neighbor's apartment in the McIntire Court housing project, they called to the witness stand two residents of the apartment.

One resident, Danielle Williams a life-long friend of De'Marquise Elkins, his mother and sister, told the jury the alleged shooter came to her apartment the morning of the murder and asked to hide his revolver under her sofa. That afternoon, Karimah Elkins and Sabrina Elkins arrived to retrieve it.

"Did you direct them to the love seat?" District Attorney Jackie Johnson asked Williams.

"No, ma'am," Williams answered.

"They knew right where to go?" Johnson said.

"Yes, ma'am," Williams said.

Next to testify was another resident, Ronald Elkins, a cousin of De'Marquise, Karimah and Sabrina, who said the noise woke him.

"They were lifting up the furniture," he said.

He testified that he removed the bullets from the gun for the safety of his grandchild who was in the apartment before handing it to Karimah Elkins.

A long-time friend of Karimah Elkins, Willie Merrell, took the stand next to describe how he gave her and her daughter a ride to their favorite fishing spot, a saltwater pond off Highway 17 behind Brunswick Floors.

"It wasn't a good day for fishing," he said.

When they arrived, he saw the women discussing something he couldn't understand.

"I didn't see them do anything. I heard a splash," he said.

Other witnesses recounted recovering the gun with a metal detector in waist-deep water at 1 a.m. five days after the shooting.

The last image for the jury before the lunch break was of a detective showing them the pistol.

This afternoon, jurors are expected to expert testimony about firearms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/a.../?nmredir=true

Mom of slain Brunswick toddler: 'I put my arms over my baby, but he still shot him'

(Aug. 27, 2013) The mother of the Brunswick toddler fatally shot in his stroller in March testified Tuesday that her baby was sleeping when they were approached by an armed robber and his accomplice.

Following a struggle for her purse, Sherry West said the defendant, De'Marquise Elkins, "asked me if I wanted him to shoot my baby."

Elkins, 17 at the time, fired two shots, a "warning shot" aimed at the ground and another pointed at her head, she said.

"I ducked," West testified. "I asked him, 'Why are you doing this?'"

After shooting her in the leg, Elkins approached the stroller, West said.

"I put my arms over my baby, but he still shot him," West testified.

The defense is about to question West. Please return for updates.

EARLIER TUESDAY:

A south Georgia pastor testified Tuesday that he was shot in the arm by the Brunswick man on trial for killing a 13-month-old in his stroller.

Wilfredo Calix-Flores, speaking through an interpreter, said De'Marquise Elkins shot him 10 days prior to the death of toddler Antonio Santiago.

A detective investigating the shooting of the pastor linked the two cases.

"When the suspects were identified in the baby case, a line-up was produced," Brunswick Judicial Circuit District Attorney Jackie Johnson said in her opening statement last week.

Calix-Flores subsequently identified Elkins as the culprit.

Elkins, charged with malice murder, felony murder, child cruelty, attempted armed robbery and multiple counts of aggravated assault, is on trial in Cobb County along with his mother. Karimah Elkins is accused of lying to police and throwing the .22-caliber handgun allegedly used to shoot the baby into a salt-water pond north of Brunswick.

The baby's mother, Sherry West, who was shot in the leg during the botched robbery attempt on March 21, was expected to take the stand following a lunch recess. The prosecution plans to rest following her testimony.

Earlier Tuesday, Dont'e Jackson, 17, testified that he witnessed Elkins shoot Calix-Flores with a .22-caliber revolver.

Elkins threatened Jackson and a friend, according to Jackson.

"If y'all say anything, something's going to happen to y'all," he quoted the defendant as saying.

Jackson admitted under cross-examination that he changed his story to police three times.

"I did lie because my life was in danger at the time," Jackson said.

Two other prosecution witnesses have admitted on the stand that they initially lied to Glynn County investigators.

Danielle Williams, who testified that Elkins left the .22-caliber revolver at her home following the toddler's shooting, acknowledged that she initially told police that he had left nothing behind.

Elkins' alleged accomplice, 15-year-old Dominique Lang, testified last week that he told more than a dozen lies to detectives in the hours after the fatal shooting.
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

HOLY SHIT...fireworks in the courtroom between the attorneys like I have never seen

details pls!!

Sorry it took so long....the prosecutor was standing talking to the judge about witnesses and testimony that has already been ruled inadmissable, all of a sudden the defense attorney stands up and loudly starts interrupting him....well the prosecutor starts yelling to the judge saying "why can I not finish what I am saying..why is he being allowed to interrupt me, etc"...I mean they were literally just yelling like crazy. Then after that simmered down they were talking about playing the mother's video taped interview and the defense attorney says that its just being played for the media like CNN and FOX...the prosecutor says "AHA...now I see your honor, this is being done for the media and NOT the jury, now I understand" and he said it so sarcastically.
    It probably doesn't sound like much as you read it, but I have seen lots and lots of trials and I swear I have never ever seen the yelling and carrying on and sarcasm like this before. The judge just sat back in his chair and never even admonished these attorneys for talking to him like that...was absolutely amazing. If you havent been watching and you get a chance to look it up maybe on youtube, it happened right before they started playing the mothers video interview...its really something that has to be seen

GUILTY

(CBS/AP) MARIETTA, Ga. - Eighteen-year-old De'Marquise Elkins was convicted of murder Friday in the shooting of a baby who was riding in a stroller alongside his mom in a town in coastal Georgia.

Jurors deliberated about two hours before finding Elkins guilty in the March 21 killing of 13-month-old Antonio Santiago in Brunswick. The man's mother, Karimah Elkins, was on trial alongside him and was found guilty of tampering with evidence but acquitted of lying to police.

De'Marquise Elkins' attorney asked for bond for his client while they appealed, which a judge denied.

CBS affiliate WTEV reports De'Marquise Elkins faces up to life in prison and his mother faces up to 15 years in prison.

Prosecutors said Elkins killed Antonio in an attempted robbery.

The baby's mother, Sherry West, also was shot.

Another teen, 15-year-old Dominique Lang, is also charged with murder in the case and is scheduled to be tried at a later date. Lang testified against Elkins during the two-week trial.

Sherry West also took the stand during the trial. She testified she was walking home from the post office with Antonio in a stroller on the morning of March 21. She said a gunman demanding her purse shot her baby in the face after she told him she had no money.

The killing in the port city of Brunswick drew national attention, and the trial was moved to the Atlanta suburb of Marietta because of the extensive publicity locally.

During closing arguments, a defense attorney for Elkins said the investigation was flawed and police ignored other leads and suspects, while the prosecution said witnesses may have had shifting stories but video and other evidence doesn't lie.

The prosecution's witnesses - many with a criminal history and some drug users - lied repeatedly and changed their stories throughout the investigation, De'Marquise Elkins' defense attorney Jonathan Lockwood said in closing statements. The initial information that led police to Elkins came from a known crack user who initially gave a different name for the shooter, he said.

"You have to look past the dead baby and look at the facts in the case," Elkins' attorney Jonathan Lockwood told the jury.

Brunswick Judicial Circuit District Attorney Jackie Johnson also urged jurors to look at the facts, saying the defense presented theories and speculation but that the evidence proves Elkins is guilty.

Life in prison without parole

Snipped

De'Marquise Elkins was spared the death penalty because he was 17 at the time of the shooting in March.
    Thirteen-month-old Antonio Santiago was killed after Elkins shot him between the eyes in an attempted robbery.

A Georgia teenager convicted of fatally shooting a baby in a stroller while trying to rob the child's mother
    was sentenced Thursday to life in prison without parole.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1454299

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia...st-year-pleads

Sister of Georgia man who shot 13-month-old boy to death last year pleads guilty to throwing gun in pond

(May 21, 2014) The sister of De'Marquise Elkins, who is serving 105 years in prison for killing a 13-month-old boy and other charges, pleaded guilty Wednesday to helping their mother throw the murder weapon in a pond.

Sabrina Elkins, 20, pleaded guilty to tampering with evidence before Superior Court Judge Stephen Kelley.

Kelley sentenced her mother, Karimah Elkins to the maximum 10 years in prison in early March after she pleaded guilty to the same charge. Kelley told Sabrina Elkins she could serve one to 10 years in prison but agreed to defense lawyer Frank Aspinwall's request that a pre-sentencing investigation be conducted before Kelley decides on a sentence.

Sometime between March 21, the day De'Marquise Elkins shot Antonio Santiago in the face as he sat in his stroller, and March 25, Karimah and Sabrina Elkins had hidden the .22 caliber revolver used in the slaying, Assistant District Attorney Liberty Stewart said. Then Karimah and Sabrina Elkins had a friend drive them to a marsh off U.S. 17 north of Brunswick where the gun was thrown in a saltwater pond, Stewart said.

Sabrina at first denied any knowledge of the gun, but later admitted she helped conceal it to help her brother, Stewart said.

"She indicated to officers that she believed, because they were trying to hide the gun, it was used to kill the baby," Stewart told Kelley.

Sabrina Elkins told Kelley she is taking college classes, and she remains free until her sentencing.

With her plea, two defendants remain: her aunt Katrina Elkins who is charged with providing a false alibi for De'Marquise Elkins, and Dominique Lang, 16, who is charged with felony murder, aggravated assault and other charges in Antonio's slaying. Prosecutors say Lang was with De'Marquise Elkins the morning he accosted Sherry West at gunpoint and then carried out his threat to shoot her baby if she didn't hand over her purse. He also shot her in the leg.

His lawyer, Kimberly Copeland, wants him tried in Juvenile Court, but that is possible only if the district attorney drops the felony murder charge.

De'Marquise Elkins was convicted in Cobb County last year of murder and aggravated assault for shooting Sherry West in the leg and, on an earlier date, wounding a minister. Both shootings were failed armed robberies.

Was it ever determined if the mother was involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    Was it ever determined if the mother was involved?
    I was curious about that too. That whole situation was pretty sketch.
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

I know the husband/father left and there was a lot of suspicion but I don't recall any actual ties

I'm pretty sure that if the mom was involved, De'Marquise and Dominique (and their families) would be screaming it from the highest mountaintop. But there's been nary a peep about it.

Sherry's adult daughter said some stuff that made people think Sherry was involved, but it seemed to me the daughter just has a lot of anger and bitterness (perhaps rightfully so) directed at her mom that has nothing to do with the murder of the baby.

Also, De'Marquise shot a minister in a botched robbery attempt right before murdering the baby, so I'm pretty sure he was just gonna keep robbing/shooting people until he ended up in jail.

I still think the mom is quite shifty. Didn't she lose another child years before?

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Quote Originally Posted by u2addict View Post
    I still think the mom is quite shifty. Didn't she lose another child years before?
    She had a teenage son who was stabbed to death in a fight with some other kids, IIRC.

I hope De'Marquise is happy. His mama is serving 10 years in prison, his aunt is serving five years and his sister is facing up to 10 years (she has been convicted but not yet sentenced). Still waiting to see what happens with Dominique Lang (the boy who was with De'Marquise when he shot the baby).

http://savannahnow.com/crime/2014-10...y-slaying-case

Aunt gets 5 years for false alibi in Brunswick baby-slaying case

(Oct. 4, 2014) The aunt of convicted baby killer De'Marquise Elkins pleaded guilty Friday to providing a false alibi for him as police investigated the fatal shooting of a 13-month-old boy.

Katrina Elkins pleaded guilty to making a false statement to officers for saying De'Marquise, who is now serving what is likely a 105-year-sentence, was at her house playing games on her computer at the time Antonio Santiago was shot in the face by a youth who tried to rob his mother on a Brunswick street, District Attorney Jackie Johnson said.

Superior Court Judge Stephen Kelley accepted her guilty plea in Hazlehurst where her trial had been moved because of overwhelming publicity in Glynn County. Kelley sentenced her to the maximum five years.

With her plea, only one defendant remains, Dominique Lang, 16, who is charged with felony murder, aggravated assault and other charges in Antonio's slaying. He was with De'Marquise Elkins the morning of the March 21, 2013, slaying and fled with him after a failed attempt to rob Antonio's mother, Sherry West. West testified she had no money to give Elkins and had pleaded with him to not shoot her baby.

But Lang also testified for the prosecution at the trial of De'Marquise Elkins and his mother Karimah Elkins last year in Marietta, Ga., less than a year ago. The jury there found both guilty and Kelley sentenced Karimah Elkins to the maximum 10 years in prison for throwing the revolver her son had used into a saltwater pond to conceal it from police.

Lang's lawyer, Kimberly Copeland, filed a motion to have him tried in Juvenile Court, but that is possible only if Johnson drops the felony murder charge.

Johnson said Friday that she believes a mental evaluation that Kelley ordered at Copeland's request is complete and that it will likely have a bearing on where the case is tried.

"I haven't seen it yet," she said of the evaluation. "It goes to the defense before it comes to me."

Sabrina Elkins, De'Marquise Elkins' older sister, has also pleaded guilty to tampering with evidence for helping their mother throw away the .22-caliber revolver. Johnson said it is her goal to have Sabrina Elkins sentenced before going forward with the case against Lang.

With her plea Friday, Katrina Elkins likely avoided prosecution on three counts of identity theft. She is accused of getting credit cards in the names of three state convicts.

Johnson said the evidence supporting the indictment has been suppressed by Superior Court Judge Anthony Harrison. Officers who had a search warrant to take Katrina Elkins' computer also spotted evidence of the identity fraud in her house and seized it.

Harrison ruled the officers should have gotten a separate warrant and threw out the evidence.

"We not going to be able to proceed on those charges," without that evidence, Johnson said.

Had Katrina Elkins not pleaded guilty to making a false statement, Johnson said her office would have appealed Harrison's decision.

He doesn't seem to care when he makes people get dead so I'm gonna bet he doesn't care when he makes people get incarcerated.

i get that the mom who threw the gun away should be charged, but how often is someone charged and sentenced 5 years for giving a false alibi? does that happen a lot? because on law & order, people just get a few choice words and a frownie face when they fake an alibi for their family member.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

what a wonderful family. mom violating probation, aunt is the guardian of the son and was caught stealing identities, daughter is indigent, and son is running the streets robbing people. jesus h. christ.

I'm glad this kid is off the hook for Antonio's murder. I'm pleased with both the plea deal and the sentence.

http://jacksonville.com/breaking-new...-pleads-guilty

Dominique Lang, last defendant in March 2013 child murder, pleads guilty to attempt to commit armed robbery

17-year-old gets credit for 2 years in jail and will be on house arrest as shooter, De'Marquise Elkins serves life

(March 31, 2015) BRUNSWICK, Ga. -- Dominique Lang, the then 15-year-old who was with another boy who shot a baby to death in an attempted armed robbery two years ago, pleaded guilty Tuesday to criminal attempt to commit robbery and will spend a year under house arrest, the district attorney said.

Lang had been charged as an adult with De'Marquise Elkins with felony murder, aggravated assault and other charges in the March 21, 2013, shooting death of 13-month-old Antonio Santiago and the wounding of the toddler's mother Sherry West as she pushed her baby on a Brunswick street. When West said she had no money and refused to give up her purse to Elkins, he shot her in the thigh and Antonio between the eyes as she begged him not to shoot her baby.

District Attorney Jackie Johnson said Lang's lawyer, Kimberly Copeland, who had been trying to have the case transferred to juvenile court, withdrew her motion and agreed with the plea in Superior Court and the sentence under first offender status. Johnson also agreed to dismiss the felony murder and other charges.

Superior Court Judge Stephen Kelley sentenced Lang to 10 years total, two years in prison and the balance on probation. Because he has been in jail since shortly after Antonio's death, Kelley gave Lang credit for time served and placed him on probation with some stiff restrictions, Johnson said.

He must live with his maternal grandparents, serve the first year on house arrest, wear an ankle monitor, get his GED and get a job, Johnson said.

Lang can leave home only for church, work and school.

Kelley also fined him $1,500 but waived it because he must pay for the ankle monitor, she said.

"He can petition, if he does everything right, to come off that," Johnson said of the ankle monitor, "but I expect he's going to be on it."

Lang, who had no criminal record before his arrest, had been held in a youth detention center in Savannah, but turned 17 in January and was moved back to the Glynn County jail.

There was testimony Tuesday that Lang had been a model inmate in Savannah, and he's also been a helpful defendant, Johnson said.

Johnson said Lang was cooperative and helpful to investigators as soon as he was put in custody.

"He testified very consistently with what the other evidence was," she said.

It was also important for the Marietta jury that convicted De'Marquise Elkins to hear from a second eyewitness besides West, Johnson said. Kelley moved the trial from Brunswick because of pretrial publicity.

"It was essential to the case for the jury to hear from him. He's been truthful from the beginning," she said.

West testified in court that she wasn't fully satisfied because Lang got a chance to negotiate a plea while her son was dead.

"He didn't get a chance to negotiate," Johnson said of West's testimony.

Lang was the only defendant remaining as members of Elkins' family are in prison, some for their attempts to shield him from arrest.

His mother Karimah Elkins is serving 10 years for throwing the murder weapon, a .22-caliber revolver, in a saltwater pond north of Brunswick.

His sister, Sabrina Elkins, was sentenced to six months in prison for helping their mother dispose of the murder weapon.

Their aunt, Katrina Elkins, who is Karimah Elkins' sister, was sentenced to five years in prison for making a false statement to police by providing a phony alibi for De'Marquise Elkins.

Thread Information