Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: the elderly, we love them but dang.....

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    I haven't spoken to my grandmother since my uncle called me to curse me out. I was asking my grandmother if my fiance (now husband) and I could stay at her place for a couple of nights (like my family used to when I was a kid). She got upset for some reason, my uncle called me and cursed me out via voicemail. I couldn't stay there, my dad got them sick. Blah, blah.
    Now, this same uncle kicked out/put his mother in a nursing home so he and his gf could live in my grandmother's condo. This uncle has no idea how to take care of himself. He's always lived with a relative except when he tried to become a catholic priest. My grandmother hates the nursing home and wants someone to put her out of her misery.
    Gosh, I can't wait to get old.

Another story about family fallout. My husband's stepmother passed away from a brain aneurysm/stroke. Her life insurance was supposed to be split 50/50. Her son received $75,000, the husband (my husband's dad) received $25,000. The son's family no longer speaks to us.

A large family wasn't in the cards for me. My dad has three siblings. My mom has three siblings. I have a brother. My husband has a sister. I think my baby is going to be an only child. My husband will be 40 this year.
    My husband's dad had lots of siblings. My husband's mom has 6-7 siblings. They all live near each other so they gather together for birthdays, holidays, etc. Meanwhile, all my dad's family live in separate states and my mom's side lives in Japan.

Sorry for the rambling.
    Family is the people that love you, not necessarily those related to you. It sucks when you go through the hurt of actually deciding to cut people out of your life, but if someone if making you miserable and being toxic, being family isn't an excuse for them to keep doing it. The best thing I ever did was cut off my entire family. I know some people think you should do whatever you can to keep family 'together' and keep up the appearance to the outside world that things are just peachy, but life is too short in my opinion to put up with people who are toxic. I look back now and wonder why I didn't cut them off years before.

There's nothing wrong with not being close to your family, and also choosing to only have one kid. You have to look at the best decisions for you and your husband and baby now.

I only have one kid and don?t plan on having another.

I haven't spoken to my grandmother since my uncle called me to curse me out. I was asking my grandmother if my fiance (now husband) and I could stay at her place for a couple of nights (like my family used to when I was a kid). She got upset for some reason, my uncle called me and cursed me out via voicemail. I couldn't stay there, my dad got them sick. Blah, blah.
    Now, this same uncle kicked out/put his mother in a nursing home so he and his gf could live in my grandmother's condo. This uncle has no idea how to take care of himself. He's always lived with a relative except when he tried to become a catholic priest. My grandmother hates the nursing home and wants someone to put her out of her misery.
    Gosh, I can't wait to get old.

Another story about family fallout. My husband's stepmother passed away from a brain aneurysm/stroke. Her life insurance was supposed to be split 50/50. Her son received $75,000, the husband (my husband's dad) received $25,000. The son's family no longer speaks to us.

A large family wasn't in the cards for me. My dad has three siblings. My mom has three siblings. I have a brother. My husband has a sister. I think my baby is going to be an only child. My husband will be 40 this year.
    My husband's dad had lots of siblings. My husband's mom has 6-7 siblings. They all live near each other so they gather together for birthdays, holidays, etc. Meanwhile, all my dad's family live in separate states and my mom's side lives in Japan.

Sorry for the rambling.
    Hmmm... sounds like Uncle is the problem, not Grandma. And then he kicked the poor woman out of her home. What a jackhole.

And don't ever apologize for "rambling." That's what we do here, right? MDS is my "Ramble Zone" in case you didn't notice.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Family is the people that love you, not necessarily those related to you. It sucks when you go through the hurt of actually deciding to cut people out of your life, but if someone if making you miserable and being toxic, being family isn't an excuse for them to keep doing it. The best thing I ever did was cut off my entire family. I know some people think you should do whatever you can to keep family 'together' and keep up the appearance to the outside world that things are just peachy, but life is too short in my opinion to put up with people who are toxic. I look back now and wonder why I didn't cut them off years before.
    And what RBW said, all of it.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 06-06-2020 at 03:49 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Ok, so Mom is pushing 90 and is pretty darned tech savvy for her age. We bought her an ipad and she can send messages, emails, facetime, facebook, etc. Recently she discovered Wordscapes and she's positively hooked. Every single day when we talk, she tells me all about the "prizes" she gets for playing Wordscapes - the stars, the "brilliance points," the crowns, the jewels. I don't think she realizes they don't really mean anything, she's just tickled pink with her progress and so darned proud of her "brilliance." It's cute.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

I believe my husband's grandmother has dementia.
    We visited her this past weekend so she could meet the newest great grandchild. While we were there, she started talking about people walking through walls and having meetings in her house, a little boy lives under her bed, a man with an invisible car and he can turn invisible to hide from cops.
    My husband thinks she's reliving memories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

We visited her this past weekend so she could meet the newest great grandchild. While we were there, she started talking about people walking through walls and having meetings in her house, a little boy lives under her bed, a man with an invisible car and he can turn invisible to hide from cops.
    It's not uncommon to see "invisible people" during alzheimers. My 'adopted mom' has a sister that has it really bad and she always talks about the people at the window or in the other room. It's kind of creepy.

Or maybe she's seeing dead people.

Creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information