Thread: Facebook plea sends 200 strangers to lonely veteran's funeral

Facebook plea sends 200 strangers to lonely veteran's funeral

This sad story with a beautiful ending has demonstrated the human capacity for generosity and selflessness.

More than 200 strangers attended the funeral of a British veteran after a concerned vicar posted a plea on Facebook, asking for people to honour the deceased man's memory, the BBC News reported.

James McConnell, a Royal Marine, died last month at the age of 70 in a Hampshire nursing home.

Local vicar, Reverand Bob Mason became concerned that no one would show up at McConnell's funeral after learning he had no close relatives.
    So he turned to Facebook for help.

"In this day and age it is tragic enough that anyone has to leave this world with no one to mourn their passing, but this man was family and I am sure you will agree deserves a better send off," the vicar wrote.

"If you can make it to the graveside for that time to pay your respects to a former brother in arms then please try to be there."

He also contacted the Royal Marines Association whose members also shared Reverend Mason's Facebook plea.

Well, the post worked.

More than 200 people, many who were marines, turned out to give Mr McConnell the send off he deserved.

Arthur Bailey, another veteran who attended the funeral told the BBC news that as soon as someone said to him that Mr McConnell "got nobody", he knew he had to attend.

"We're family, we're all family," he said.

"We all fought in the war...there are people still getting killed and so that's what I did (attended).

"It's a duty really."

Reverend Mason, touched by the outpouring of support, thanked the crowd for their "kindness and generosity of spirit".

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/fa...#ixzz2LsbrnlbX

Wow! What a sad but wonderful story. It makes me sad when people become alone in their golden years. Going to see my husband's grandmother in a funeral home, it was sad to hear that there were many who never had visitors. Ever. His grandmother is lucky to have great daughters to alternate and take turns being there with her so she is never alone.

Those people who showed up for Mr. McConnell's funeral are amazing and their gesture truly shows that there are still decent and caring people in this crazy world.

RIP Mr. McConnell
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    And these are the stories that bring a tear to my eyes. I don't know about you but I always wonder if anyone would show up to mine. Kudos to those who took time out of their lives to honor a veteran. Rest in peace, Mr. McConnell.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

I don't get it. So people cared when he was dead. But he died alone with no one. What a win for humanity. How is going to a funeral a selfless act? It takes no effort at all. What takes heart is giving three fucks when a person is alive.

It's great and all that people attended his funeral, but it would have been way fucking better if someone sent this out to have someone visit him while he was waiting to die in a fucking nursing home.

Nursing homes are one of the most depressing places on the face of the earth.

I personally do not like the way most of the Nursing homes take care of the elderly. My dad was in one before he died. They didn't take care of him as well as I could have but no one told me what was going on. I hope someday they will have better places to put these cherished people.

There was an old English lady who lived 2 houses down from us when my kids were babies. Jean had trained fighter pilots in the war & was an absolutely AMAZING person. She had no family here other than a niece in another state that she never saw. She absolutely doted on my 2 yr old son because he reminded her of one of her brothers who had passed away young. We used to spend some time with her almost everyday, my son loved her as much as she loved him.

She started showing the affects of Alzheimers when my son was about 4 & one day the community care people took her away to a local nursing home without a word to anyone.

I rang, & rang & rang & rang but no-one - not community care, not the local nursing homes or doctors cared that she was being cut off from the only people who actually wanted to visit her. In all the years we spent time with her, I'd never learned her last name, there hadn't seemed a need to until it was too late.

Eventually her house was put up for sale, & even the real estate agent wouldn't give me her last name. We couldn't even work out if they were selling because she'd died. I have no idea today if she's wasting away in a home somewhere, or if she died & where she's buried.

I think of her everytime I walk past her house & I hope that the Alzheimers had/has her in a good place & that she was never as devastated by not seeing my son as he was at not seeing her. At this point I guess they've both forgotten - he barely remembers her now, over a decade later.

Two more victims of the incredibly helpful Privacy Act 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Ohhh what a sweet man and wonderful gestures on thr part of those who attended.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    I don't get it. So people cared when he was dead. But he died alone with no one. What a win for humanity. How is going to a funeral a selfless act? It takes no effort at all. What takes heart is giving three fucks when a person is alive.
    I'm just going to repeat myself here.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    I'm just going to repeat myself here.
    Oh I definitely agree with you there. Damn shame this man died alone feeling like he had no one in the world. I wish I knew him.
    But I still think it rocks that his story touched enough people in such a way that it brought attention to the media.
    Maybe that will make a difference in even just one other lonely old person.

That is really a sad, sad story blighted star. :(

* a difference in another old person's life. ^

TBH tho 70 isn't that old and I have to wonder if anyone who has absolutely nobody in their lives didn't do something to cause that alienation.

Ah...I did not read the article closely enough and was assuming he was a ww2 vet.

Thread Information