Thread: In order to become a more gender equal society women have to change

In order to become a more gender equal society women have to change

Change their ideas about engagements and marriage.

Women demand equality and that is cool.

However you cannot demand this change and accept the sexism within relationships and specifically marriage in this country.

Women seem to be fine with becoming property of men as long as it is disguised as marriage. Women dream and dream about being proposed to. Let me explain what a proposal is. It is the man getting down on one knee and asking that the woman become his property. It is asking she strip her individual identity(name) and take on his. The symbol of this property ownership is the man giving a ring to the woman. In a truly equal society men would not carry this burden.

The reality is, a joint partnership should require equality on both sides. A woman should not take the name of their husband, or both should take on each others names. A woman should not have to be proposed to and a symbol of ownership is not needed.

Marriage is about the commitment to one another and not a romantic/dramatic proposal, practicing of traditions that marginalize one sex and the wearing of symbols that do nothing to indicate this commitment and love is real. The reality within is what counts.

It is bogus and is demeaning to women. I believe they are equal to men, but they fail to recognize this glaring hypocrisy.

In a true quest to have an equal society, these practices/traditions must be change, or women will continue to be treated and looked at as " Mr. Chauncy's Wife"

It's time for women to rid themselves of their grade school girl fantasies about engagements, marriages, commitments, LOVE, and truly become women.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Weirdest proposal ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Good catch.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

This is how I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by jessielee View Post
    This is how I did it.

You are a true hero and a revolutionary.

I frequently get into fights with my mom when i tell her marriage originated as a business deal between two paternal heads of family.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    I frequently get into fights with my mom when i tell her marriage originated as a business deal between two paternal heads of family.
    Property deal.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I agree with
    Last edited by l8alldai; 02-25-2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: double post

I agree with the general idea of what you're saying. I don't think I'd say a proposal is a man "asking that the woman become his property". We're waaaaay past the days of looking at anyone as property. I mean really when you think about it the man is begging, practically saying "Please help me. I've lived my life alone for so long and don't know how to do it anymore. Please bless me with your female wisdom and expertise about life by agreeing to help me out". I mean he is getting down on his kness...
    That's not to say women can't do it themselves. Have at it, and good luck.

The name change aspect of it is kind of left up to personal preference. I know women who have, I know some who haven't. I am not particularly attached to my name as it is my fathers and he's a dick so I will have no problem writing that one off. But depending on the culture, both names are used. I mean the mayor of Los Angeles combined his name and his wife's, which is common for a Latino to do. They typically add a hyphen but it's the same thing.

And as for the fairy tales, I think we've earned it. Some people don't like it though and that's fine. I say to each their own. But to say it's time to rid ourselves of grade school fantasies about commitments and more importantly love...well as far as I knew fantasies were fictional. I had no idea an adult commitment was the stuff of fairy stories now. I thought it might actually be possible for two people to be wholly committed to each other. Guess I should tell the people I know in loving, committed relationships that it's all just a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    You are a true hero and a revolutionary.
    Im also getting a divorce, so Im not sure if this applies to me

I DO however agree that it should be a mutual decision and not something left up to the man who is then on the line for a giant ring. I also dont believe in spending your entire life savings on what is essentially a "party" that lasts one day. Fuck that noise

Yep. Mine was a business arrangement so that we could save money on insurance. Im not sure either of us ever really wanted it. Hence the divorce.

Thread Information