Thread: Lakers Owner Jerry Buss Dies in L.A. Hospital

Lakers Owner Jerry Buss Dies in L.A. Hospital

Jerry Buss -- owner of the Los Angeles Lakers -- died early this morning at the age of 79, this according to multiple reports.

Buss had been hospitalized for the past few months due to a previously undisclosed intestinal problem ... though it was revealed yesterday he'd been battling cancer the entire time.

After starting his career as a chemist, Buss soon found his true calling in the real estate biz ... snapping up properties all over L.A. before moving on to the sporting world.

In 1979, Buss made history when he purchased the Lakers, the L.A. Kings and The Forum for $67.5 million -- at that time, the largest transaction in sports.

Under his ownership, Buss watched dozens of all-time greats -- including Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant -- win the Lakers 10 NBA Championships. He was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2010.

Buss was also an avid poker player ... and appeared on several TV shows, including "High Stakes Poker" and "Poker After Dark."

He is survived by his six children.

NOOOOOO!!!!!

Rest in paradise Jerry

Go Lakers!

Don't hate me for saying this, but, maybe they will get purchased by someone else, they will dump Kobe and make another 'thing' out of winning. You know, with 'odds against them'?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Jerry's son has been in charge for awhile and he's ruining things. Kobe will live out the last years of his career with the Lakers and they will just have to wait until the next great comes along

Legend.

I don't trust little jimbo to run this organization though. If mitch stays though ill be more comfortable but i am scared he gonna dump mitch and try to do it himself.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Agreed he was a legend, 10 championships under his belt. The Showtime and the Lake show eras.

I heard at the end of last season Mitch was considering retirement. Did you hear that? I dont know if would be a forced retirement though lol.
    The poor management was obvious in the way they handled the Phil Jackson situation

he was the best at spotting new talent - like no other - i don't know of his son can pull it off

Thread Information