Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Elisa Lam (21) was found dead in a hotel water tank after being missing for 19 days

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Elisa Lam (21) was found dead in a hotel water tank after being missing for 19 days

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2013...g_for_19_days_

Police in Los Angeles are searching for a Vancouver woman whose disappearance "may suggest foul play."

Elisa Lam, 21, was visiting the city alone and last seen at a downtown L.A. hotel, said police on Wednesday. They said her disappearance is "suspicious."

Lam's private Facebook page said she attended University Hill Secondary and the University of British Columbia. A LinkedIn account said she's expected to graduate from UBC in 2016.

Police are expected to release more details at a news conference this afternoon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/02...n_2632632.html

http://www.facebook.com/lambetes
    Last edited by Olivia; 02-20-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: To add article link

Haven't heard a thing about this.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/02...n_2632632.html Updated
    Police in Los Angeles are searching for a Vancouver woman whose disappearance "may suggest foul play."

Elisa Lam, 21, was last seen on Jan. 31 in the lobby of The Cecil Hotel in downtown L.A., said police on Wednesday. They said her disappearance is "suspicious."

Lam was travelling alone but had been in daily contact with her parents until she disappeared, said authorities at a news conference.

"It's been five days, six days now and as far as suspicious circumstances nothing than that, but there's been no communication at and that's worried us and worried the family," said LAPD Lt. Walter Teague. Lam's family stood behind Teague for the news conference but did not speak publicly.

Lam has no history of "any behaviour like this, or any problems like this," Teague added.

The student spent a few days in San Diego before landing in L.A., he said. Lam uses public transportation like Amtrak and local buses.

She had checked into the hotel on Jan. 28 and was set to check out on Feb. 1, reported KTLA.

Lam's private Facebook page said she attended University Hill Secondary and the University of British Columbia. A LinkedIn account said she's expected to graduate from UBC in 2016.
    Another Sarai Sierra case??

http://www.examiner.com/article/elis...ng-los-angeles
    "She was in contact with her parents daily up until the 31st," said LAPD Lt. Walter Teague during a press conference on Wednesday afternoon.

The staff at The Cecil Hotel on 640 S. Main Street were the last to see her, stated authorities.

The police are checking surveillance videos and if there has been any bank transactions. During the press conference, Teague was asked about Lam's cell phone.

"I don't want to talk about the cell phone, right now, very much, we have some of her property and she was in regular contact with her parents until 6 days ago," said Teague.
    Wait, what?

she probably left her things behind in the hotel room or her phone could have been dropped near the hotel.

http://laist.com/2013/02/11/lapd_rel...of_missing.php

Though there have been tips coming in to the Los Angeles Police Department regarding missing Canadian tourist Elisa Lam, there has yet to be a significant lead in the 21-year-old woman's suspicious disappearance.
    Today the LAPD has released a second photo of the University of British Columbia (UBC) student who was last seen January 31 in the lobby of the Skid Row-adjacent Cecil Hotel in Downtown.
    The Vancouver, BC native had been in California just a few days when she went missing and dropped all communication with her family back at home--a move that alarmed her relatives and prompted them to contact authorities.
    The LAPD also noted today in an updated missing person release that Lam "possibly suffers from mild depression."
    The missing woman was expected to head up to Santa Cruz as part of her travels.
    Lam is described as an Asian woman of Chinese descent. She has black hair, brown eyes and stands 5 feet 4 inches tall. She weighs about 115 pounds. She is fluent in English and also speaks Cantonese. According to the recently-established "Find Elisa Lam" Facebook page, Lam was last seen wearing a purple/blue t-shirt and black basketball shorts, and she was not wearing her glasses.

Not much of an update, but still an update...finally. Not much has been said about Elisa and her disappearance, I'll still keep checking daily.

Check out this video - something weirds going on

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...anadian-woman/

Yeah that video is really weird...if she was hiding from someone or afraid, why wouldn't she close the elevator doors and go elsewhere?

She pressed a bunch of buttons and you can see the door tried to close, but stopped immediately. She looks out and I guess, tries to see if she run and escape, but decides she can't for some reason and hides in the corner hoping the elevator door closes, she then steps out again and it looks like she doesn't know what to do and where to go and is unsure of her choices. She returns to the elevator and presses more buttons, but they are already lit up from the previous time, she repeatedly presses them and then walks out and does some sort of hand gestures which I can't quite predict why or to who. I guess she gave up on the elevator and whoever or whatever was making her look scared was gone and she decided to walk off elsewhere.

Very strange though.

It looks to me like she is playing a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Yes this is what I got from it...to me she didn't look particularly scared.

I agree - she's acting very 'child-like' in her actions. Just like she's waiting to jump out and surprise someone, BOO!

I wonder if she was using drugs, or had been drugged.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. - Mark Twain

Websleuths suspected she was smiling, I can't see that well enough.
    Her hand gestures were way overdramatic though, the more I watch it, it just kind of looks like she is under the influence of something.
    I just find it weird that if she was playing a game with someone, and that is who she was talking to, why that person didn't follow her and we would have saw them crossing in front of the elevator.
    Also, why hasn't that person came forward and said anything?

I don't understand why the elevator doors wouldn't close after she hit all those buttons.
    I wish her parents would comment on this and see if this is due to a possible mental disorder, or if this is out of character for her, but they aren't making any public comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Katerss View Post
    Websleuths suspected she was smiling, I can't see that well enough.
    Her hand gestures were way overdramatic though, the more I watch it, it just kind of looks like she is under the influence of something.
    I just find it weird that if she was playing a game with someone, and that is who she was talking to, why that person didn't follow her and we would have saw them crossing in front of the elevator.
    Also, why hasn't that person came forward and said anything?

I don't understand why the elevator doors wouldn't close after she hit all those buttons.
    I wish her parents would comment on this and see if this is due to a possible mental disorder, or if this is out of character for her, but they aren't making any public comments.
    I was thinking that as well.

That video is very creepy!

this isn't a good area - in fact this is one of the yelp reviews

shared bathroom ? homeless people ? historic building ? ceiling fan ? contemporary art
    "Dont go Out after dark something really bad could happen to you NO JOKE. ..." -

This is how far away the hotel is from the suspected sighting;
    http://goo.gl/maps/FY47g

http://www.examiner.com/article/what...d-to-elisa-lam
    The disappearance of Elisa Lam is verging on a month old, and it seems that the media is only starting to heighten coverage of her case recently. That's likely because of the release of strange surveillance footage of the missing woman, which showed her behaving very bizarrely. Central Coast News detailed the video on Feb. 15, 2013, but there are also new claims that the woman might have been spotted in Los Angeles.

The video is linked in this Gather News article, or you can watch the video accompanying this post. Officials released it to the media on Feb. 15, 2013, and media (as well as public) interest seems to have spiked in this case. As you can see, Elisa appears to be acting erratically. At first it seems as though she may be hiding from someone, but at the same time she continually looks out of the doorway of the elevator and even steps into clear view a few times. This doesn't look like the behavior of someone who is hiding from someone else.

The Find Elisa Lam Facebook page is growing in support, and there is a lot of activity on it regarding the awareness this case has garnered. There are also people posting claiming to have sighted the missing woman. One poster claims that he might have seen the missing woman "on Wilshire and Western." The person posted on the page that the woman appeared to be suffering from some kind of mental condition and was "yelling nonstop into the air."

Another poster on the same page expressed concern in the lack of information being shared by the family of the missing woman. As of now there are no clarifications on her mental state, and curiosity is being inspired by the claims that she was behaving strangely in a different part of Los Angeles.

To be clear, no sightings of Elisa Lam have been confirmed by the LAPD, who are searching for clues regarding her disappearance. So until further notice, this woman has not been seen publicly since the strange surveillance footage being circulated around the net now. Hopefully this footage and the photos of her lead someone out there to act on information they may have. Until then, the LAPD is investigating what avenues they can in search of leads.

FB page: https://www.facebook.com/FindElisaLam?fref=ts
    The comment discussed in the article:
    "Hi. I think I saw her last Saturday, on Wilshire and Western. It was early in the afternoon and she was yelling nonstop into the air. I thought at first she might be a religious preacher, but it was pretty clear she was having some kind of mental trouble. She was not wearing glasses, but she fits the description. I will call the LAPD and let them know the same. I wish I had seen the LAist article earler."

Body Found

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/body-found-at-l...seen-1.1163193

A body has been found at the downtown Los Angeles hotel where missing Vancouverite Elisa Lam was last seen.
    The 21-year-old University of British Columbia student has been missing since January 31st – and was last seen at the Cecil Hotel, near the city's notorious skid row.
    LAPD investigators confirm that a body was discovered at the hotel, but did not confirm the identity.

The Los Angeles Times said the body was discovered in one of the hotel’s four water tanks by a maintenance worker around 10 a.m. after investigating complaints about low water pressure.
    Videotape released by police after Lam’s disappearance showed the young woman acting very strangely in the hotel elevator the night she was last seen.
    The two-minute security tape footage showed Lam pressing buttons for multiple floors in the elevator before she darts out quickly, looking side-to-side before moving her arms around wildly.
    Her reason for going to California is unclear, but authorities say Lam intended to travel to Santa Cruz as her final destination, which is about 563 kilometres north of Los Angeles.
    Police suspect foul play in her disappearance.
    Investigators say Lam was in daily contact with her family in Vancouver until she vanished. She never checked out of the hotel.

Oh my god. HOW DID THEY NOT CHECK EVERYWHERE?

Oh my god. HOW DID THEY NOT CHECK EVERYWHERE?
    its the LAPD - not a god area - lots of homeless at that hotel - she is an adult - i doubt it was a high priority to them in that area

when i lived in sf valley i had a break in - while i was in the bedroom - called 911 it took them 3 days to show up - my dogs barking scared him off - every time i called back, they kept saying they forgot - now in riverside county - last year i called 911 cuz i heard gun shots - 90 sec response - 10 cops cars and a copter- turned out it was a drive by murder and they actually got there so fast, they were caught

Quote Originally Posted by Harlette View Post
    its the LAPD - not a god area - lots of homeless at that hotel - she is an adult - i doubt it was a high priority to them in that area

when i lived in sf valley i had a break in - while i was in the bedroom - called 911 it took them 3 days to show up - my dogs barking scared him off - every time i called back, they kept saying they forgot - now in riverside county - last year i called 911 cuz i heard gun shots - 90 sec response - 10 cops cars and a copter- turned out it was a drive by murder and they actually got there so fast, they were caught
    I would have even thought that the hotel owners/managers would have done a thorough check. Especially in confined spaces? Maybe I'm an idealist

Autopsy result said there was no trace of drugs in her system.
    Where are her clothes? (she was found naked and her clothes were not found)
    Who closed the lid of the tank AFTER she got inside?
    Why wasn't the elevator door closing, and why did it close right after she left?
    Why, when the police with dogs searched the rooftop weeks prior to her body being found in the tank, didn?t they find any trace of her being there? No scent, nothing.

She appeared relaxed when she entered the elevator. Perhaps she clicked on different buttons to explore the place? She pressed them in a playful manner imo. (based on her blog she seems to be an art buff and maybe she checked-in the hotel for the classic/artsy/appeal or maybe of the history itself - thinking nothing bad would happen to her)
    2nd time she pressed all the buttons she appeared to be panicking.

Her hand gestures seemed to be of disbelief (hands on head), stress (bending fingers), and waving her arms seemed like she was trying to trigger motion detector in the elevator door (if the elevator has it) or checking out why it's not closing (if there's some sort of hindrance/blockage) - trying to make sense of it all. Gives up, and tries a different route.

talking: maybe she was talking to herself- we do that from time to time. In her case maybe it went like this: "wtf? why is the elevator door not closing... what's happening?" and yes perhaps she went paranoid triggered by the circumstance she was in. Ik I would be esp being alone and all.

None in the video made me think she's mentally ill --- to commit suicide. I think there's something more to this, too many questions unanswered.

Exactly, that is really frustrating. She was at the hotel the whole time.

Also, I know many hotels who have cameras in the lobby, so I wonder if they even bothered to see if Elisa Lam ever even left.

Ugh gndiogndxifobnsoignsogsp grr.

I would currently be vomiting violently had I brushed my teeth whilst at that hotel in the last 19-20 days.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Thread Information