Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47
Results 1,151 to 1,161 of 1161

Thread: Gun Control

https://news.yahoo.com/boulder-assau...134123614.html

Yahoo News
    Boulder's assault weapons ban was blocked by a judge 10 days before supermarket shooting
    Christopher Wilson
    Christopher Wilson?Senior Writer
    Tue, March 23, 2021, 6:41 AM?4 min read
    Ten days before a gunman opened fire on Monday at a Boulder, Colo., supermarket, a judge knocked down the city’s ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. Ten people were killed at King Soopers grocery store near the University of Colorado, including a police officer, before the suspect was injured and taken into custody.

As of Tuesday morning, police have yet to release details on the suspect or the weapon used in the shooting, and it’s unclear if the ban would have covered the gun involved. But the court’s move is striking in its recency, especially after a law enforcement official told CNN that an AR-15-style rifle was used in Boulder. The same type of weapon was used in a number of recent mass shootings, including in Parkland, Fla., in 2018, Las Vegas in 2017, Orlando in 2016 and Newtown, Conn., in 2012.

In 2018, following the Parkland shooting, which killed 17 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, the Boulder City Council banned the sale and possession of assault weapons. Those who owned the guns had a year to either sell them, turn them in to the city, destroy them or acquire a permit. Shortly after the law passed, the law was challenged by the National Rifle Association’s Colorado affiliate, along with a Boulder gun store and two residents.

“I hope and pray we never have a mass shooting in Boulder,” City Attorney Tom Carr told the Daily Camera in March 2018. “What this ordinance is about is reducing, on the margins, the ease with which somebody could do that.”

On March 12, Boulder County District Court Judge Andrew Hartman ruled that the city’s ban on the possession, transfer or sale of assault weapons and large-capacity magazines was invalid and that local municipalities couldn’t issue such bans. Critics of such local ordinances also argue that the bans are ineffective because people can get around them by traveling a short distance to where they are no longer in effect.

“The city of Boulder’s assault weapons and (large-capacity magazine) ban could create a ripple effect across the state by encouraging other municipalities to enact their own bans, ultimately leading to a statewide de facto ban or to a patchwork of municipal laws regulating assault weapons and LCMs,” Hartman wrote in his order.

The city told police to stop enforcing the ban as it deliberated whether to appeal the ruling to the Colorado State Supreme Court. There was also a federal lawsuit pending against the ordinance.

The NRA lauded Hartman’s ruling, tweeting, “ICYMI: A Colorado judge gave law-abiding gun owners something to celebrate. In an [NRA Institute for Legislative Action]-supported case, he ruled that the city of Boulder’s ban on commonly-owned rifles (AR-15s) and 10+ round mags was preempted by state law and STRUCK THEM DOWN.”

Monday's shooting came less than a week after a gunman in the Atlanta area killed eight people, including six Asian women, at three separate locations. That weapon was not an AR-15-style rifle: The alleged shooter legally purchased a 9 mm handgun shortly before the shooting.

According to the Associated Press, the Boulder shooting was the seventh mass killing this year, defined as four or more dead, not including the shooter. The Boulder and Atlanta shootings follow the lowest yearly number of such attacks in a decade in 2020, which was marked by pandemic and quarantine.

“This is a tragedy and a nightmare for Boulder County,” the county's district attorney, Michael Dougherty said. “These were people going about their day, doing their shopping. I promise the victims and the people of the state of Colorado that we will secure justice.”

Earlier this month, Democrats and eight Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives passed two gun safety measures that would expand background checks. The legislation’s fate in the U.S. Senate is murky, as activists hope to pressure President Biden into action.

"It remains a commitment, a personal commitment of the president's, to do more on gun safety, to put more measures in place, to use the power of the presidency, to work with Congress. And certainly there's an important role for the attorney general and the Justice Department to play in this regard," White House press secretary Jen Psaki said last week following the Atlanta shooting.

https://www.kron4.com/news/national/...uns-in-public/

HONOLULU (AP) — Hawaii’s strict limit on openly carrying firearms is lawful, a panel of federal appeals court judges ruled Wednesday in a lawsuit by a man who tried unsuccessfully several times to obtain a license to carry a loaded gun in public.

George Young’s lawyer said he will ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review the case. “We are hopeful the Supreme Court will grant review in Mr. Young’s case,” attorney Alan Beck said.

These are the names of the 10 Colorado mass shooting victims and suspect
    Young wants to carry a gun for self-defense and says that not being able to do so violates his rights. His 2012 lawsuit was dismissed, with a judge siding with officials who said the Second Amendment only applied to guns kept in homes.

He appealed. Three federal appeals court judges later ruled in his favor but the state asked for a fuller panel of judges to hear the case.

That panel of 11 judges on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Wednesday “held that the Second Amendment does not guarantee an unfettered, general right to openly carry arms in public for individual self-defense. Accordingly, Hawai‘i’s firearms-carry scheme is lawful.”

Senator optimistic Congress will reach a compromise on gun laws
    The Second Amendment allows states “to enact common sense regulations like those we have in Hawaii,” state Attorney General Clare Connors said in statement. The ruling properly upholds the constitutionality of Hawaii’s “longstanding law allowing persons to carry firearms openly in public when licensed to do so,” she said.

Hawaii has a “de facto ban” on carrying guns in public, Beck said.

It’s not a flat ban because individuals can carry firearms if they have good cause, Neal Katyal, an attorney representing Hawaii, argued before the panel in September.

The ruling comes on the same day the Hawaii attorney general’s office issued a report showing that all private citizens who applied for licenses to carry a gun in public in 2020 were denied.

Timeline: Mass Shooting at Charleston Church
    Statewide last year, 123 employees of private security firms applied for and were issued carry licenses and one was denied, according to the report.

Young’s applications failed to identify “the urgency or the need” to openly carry a firearm in public, the ruling noted: “Instead, Young relied upon his general desire to carry a firearm for self-defense.”

Judge Diarmuid O’Scannlain, one of the four dissenting judges, wrote that the majority’s finding that the Second Amendment only guarantees the right to keep a firearm for self-defense within one’s home, “is as unprecedented as it is extreme.”

I support the 2nd amendment. People should have all the muskets they want!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1384304899295387656
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

https://www.vox.com/2021/4/26/223641...anaugh-barrett

The Supreme Court will hear a major Second Amendment case that could gut US gun laws-The Supreme Court could make the NRA’s dreams come true

Can't be bothered with a new thread for them all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL3t9WOL678
    Philadelphia shooting.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Can't be bothered with a new thread for them all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL3t9WOL678
    Philadelphia shooting.
    Saw that one. I'm actively looking for an apartment in that exact neighborhood.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Saw that one. I'm actively looking for an apartment in that exact neighborhood.
    I would maybe consider another neighborhood.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I would maybe consider another neighborhood.
    But where? Nowhere is safe from this. If you leave your house these days there is a good chance you could be involved in a mass shooting. It's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    But where? Nowhere is safe from this. If you leave your house these days there is a good chance you could be involved in a mass shooting. It's insane.
    You do have a point. My mom was looking at a house near me. Two people have been murdered in the area, I cant find them but they supposedly happen. So I live in a murder area.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/06/polit...oll/index.html

A striking number from a new poll on guns

As Congress considers, again, the possibility of moving a package of gun control reforms, a number from a new CBS News/YouGov poll jumped out at me as evidence of why solving America's gun violence problem is so hard.

It's this: 44% of Republicans said that mass shootings are something we have to accept as part of a free society. (A majority of Republicans -- 56% -- said mass shootings are something we can prevent and stop if we really tried.)

That number is a striking departure from how the country as a whole views the issue. More than 7 in 10 Americans (72%) said that mass shootings could be prevented if we really tried, while just 28% said they were part of living in a free society.

Consider what those Republicans are saying: There is no policy -- or cultural -- solution to the problem of mass shootings. Instead, it is a necessary evil of living in a free society.

This is, of course, utter bunk.
    Plenty of other free countries in the world do not have a mass shooting problem like we do in the United States.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 06-06-2022 at 08:08 PM.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/12/polit...ent/index.html

Bipartisan group of senators announce agreement on gun control

A bipartisan group of senators announced an agreement on principle for gun safety legislation Sunday, which includes "needed mental health resources, improves school safety and support for students, and helps ensure dangerous criminals and those who are adjudicated as mentally ill can't purchase weapons," they said in a statement.
    Notably, the announcement includes the support of 10 Republican senators, which would give the proposal enough support to overcome the Senate filibuster. The agreement is significant given how divided lawmakers have been over the gun issue, but the actual legislative text is not yet written.
    The proposal includes support for state crisis intervention orders, funding for school safety resources, an enhanced review process for buyers under the age of 21 and penalties for straw purchasing.

Critically, the legislation includes a so-called red flag provision, with the government providing "resources to states and tribes to create and administer laws that help ensure deadly weapons are kept out of the hands of individuals whom a court has determined to be a significant danger to themselves or others," according to the release. The proposal would also include "major investments to increase access to mental health and suicide prevention programs; and other support services available in the community, including crisis and trauma intervention and recovery."
    More on what's in it here:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/12/polit...ent/index.html

What's in the bipartisan gun deal and what's not

Thread Information