Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassHat View Post
    You're right, we lose sight of how dangerous they are. Seriously, dude, owning a gun is literally a way of life for most people in these parts. It's not just here in the South, though. The right wingers hang on to their guns acquire as many as possible. When it gets down to a reason I'm not sure even they know why. "Just cuz" would be my guess.

The "you can kill someone with anything" is a ridiculous argument, imo. If that were the case I'd have a fucking squirt gun and drown the intruder with the water from it. So, yeah, you get no argument from me on that one.

Taxes.. I get the need for taxes. I am totally fine with taxing them to aid in the costs of everything gun related, but to suggest it is taxed to the point of a $500 gun costing $2,000 is bullshit. We have to get to the root of the problem. The root of the problem is the hands these guns are easily landing in. Psych evals, criminal record search, history of mental illness, etc. Those are the things I think will help reduce gun related crime.
    That's a good start, but I'm guessing that when 16-year old Crips get their hands on a gun there wasn't a psych eval involved. And this is what I mean, you start asking about that, and the NRA folks throw their hands in the air and say "well we can't do anything about that, so you should arm yourself!"

I hate that shit.

ETA: Yea, I don't get why 1 gun isn't enough for protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

You're right, we lose sight of how dangerous they are. Seriously, dude, owning a gun is literally a way of life for most people in these parts. It's not just here in the South, though. The right wingers hang on to their guns acquire as many as possible. When it gets down to a reason I'm not sure even they know why. "Just cuz" would be my guess.

The "you can kill someone with anything" is a ridiculous argument, imo. If that were the case I'd have a fucking squirt gun and drown the intruder with the water from it. So, yeah, you get no argument from me on that one.

Taxes.. I get the need for taxes. I am totally fine with taxing them to aid in the costs of everything gun related, but to suggest it is taxed to the point of a $500 gun costing $2,000 is bullshit. We have to get to the root of the problem. The root of the problem is the hands these guns are easily landing in. Psych evals, criminal record search, history of mental illness, etc. Those are the things I think will help reduce gun related crime.
    Gun ownership is not all about 'right wingers'. To some of us, it's guns for hunting. I see nothing wrong with taxing these guns. Yeah, you want a gun and you don't want to pay the more than triple amount in tax on it? Your problem, not anyone elses. It doesnt mean it's going to stop the issues but hell, if you can't afford the gun along with the expensive tax, don't get one.
    I do agree that this isnt going to solve the problem but I don't think it's bad either. More people like me will be thinking ;hey, can my checkbook take a 5000$ hit for this gun right now?
    I've already mentioned in previous posts that the whole system needs to be revamped and that is going to take a butt ton of time and money. What is wrong with making someone pay a shit load of money that they want 'that badly?'

Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    Not sure if im smellin' what you're steppin in here. Whatever it is, maybe we are both conditioned for fear but in different ways. I didnt grow up around guns thinking they were being used for anything than hunting. Naive maybe? I was younger. I also lived my single days without any guns which is odd now because Im married to a very big boy that could take someone out easily, I have giant breed dogs and my neighborhood is very low crime area but yet, im armed like a motherfucker. I like my gun collection actually. I would be lying if I didn't say that I had some beautiful guns or valuable guns.
    But not everyone thinks like I do and I respect it.

I've never been robbed or anything like that so it basically comes down to the guns being what is used to stock our freezers and the extra security of having those guns was just a plus.
    You said: it's a little harder to seperate reality from hypothetical when you have been raised around firearms and such.

And I think it's very telling that you said that. Your hypothetical has you more worried than some folks that have the experience. I mean I've actually had a gun pulled on me and still don't feel the way you do. If you were ever the victim of something you'd be holed up in a panic room with one hand duct taped to a gun, permanently.

And notice that you said your guns are for colection, and you have pieces you are proud of, but when I asked about getting rid of them you said "sure! I just need one for protection though."

I'm getting mixed messages of what you're thinking here.

Ok, lets see.

Mandatory full psych eval

200 hours of gun training and safety courses

Mandatory random drug testing

A mandatory 6month waiting period before you can even get your hands on a gun. Pending approval of the following things mentioned you may purchase one gun.

Full fingerprints, photos, addresses etc that are put into a national database.

Information must be updated once a year.

After the initial phase of one year.

Every year you must pass a gun shooting and gun safety test. If you do not pass you must wait 6 months to try again or you have to re-enroll in the classes again.

Get drug tested.

Every 3 years a psych eval again.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Ok, lets see.

A mandatory 6month waiting period before you can even get your hands on a gun. Pending approval of the following things mentioned you may purchase one gun.

Every year you must pass a gun shooting and gun safety test. If you do not pass you must wait 6 months to try again or you have to re-enroll in the classes again.

Get drug tested.

And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Oh i forgot full physical and you must have great eyesight. If not then you must have vision enhancement available at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    You said: it's a little harder to seperate reality from hypothetical when you have been raised around firearms and such.

And I think it's very telling that you said that. Your hypothetical has you more worried than some folks that have the experience. I mean I've actually had a gun pulled on me and still don't feel the way you do. If you were ever the victim of something you'd be holed up in a panic room with one hand duct taped to a gun, permanently.

And notice that you said your guns are for colection, and you have pieces you are proud of, but when I asked about getting rid of them you said "sure! I just need one for protection though."

I loled at that one.

Charging a lot for guns reduces the chances of a black market. If you buy it legally for $3,000, how much profit do you need for it to be worth your trouble? And how much can people really afford?

Ron, one gun is perfectly acceptable for protection. I know you are looking at me funny right now over my collection but in all fairness, you use different guns for different game.

I mean if you are hunting a deer, you don't use a shot gun and blow the deer to pieces because then the meat is ruined and not much left. You use the proper rifle and a clean shot and you have venison thru the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    Ron, one gun is perfectly acceptable for protection. I know you are looking at me funny right now over my collection but in all fairness, you use different guns for different game.

I mean if you are hunting a deer, you don't use a shot gun and blow the deer to pieces because then the meat is ruined and not much left. You use the proper rifle and a clean shot and you have venison thru the winter.
    I'm really not. This is explaining a lot. I have questions.

But you were quick to give up the colleciton. All I'm saying.

And this is another point about people needing 30 clip magazines. If you have to shoot that much for one deer, STOP HUNTING, YOU SUCK!

I loled at that one.
    That's how I imagine some of you in my head. Sorry.

And this is another point about people needing 30 clip magazines. If you have to shoot that much for one deer, STOP HUNTING, YOU SUCK!

A lot of gun owners won't admit it, but the bottom line is that they just love guns.

It is a collection and some are not used. The majority are for hunting. Only the pistols would be neccessary for home protection. I don't live like im scared of things, because Im not. I don't do many things in moderation so it's really no shock to some people that I have so many. And I did say that if the gov't said we had to give them up, well we would. I would prefer a buyback program but I would comply.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Ok, lets see.

Get drug tested.

I have no problem with this at all.

Charging a lot for guns reduces the chances of a black market. If you buy it legally for $3,000, how much profit do you need for it to be worth your trouble? And how much can people really afford?
    If you can't afford it, don't get one. Easy squeezy.

It is a collection and some are not used. The majority are for hunting. Only the pistols would be neccessary for home protection. I don't live like im scared of things, because Im not. I don't do many things in moderation so it's really no shock to some people that I have so many. And I did say that if the gov't said we had to give them up, well we would. I would prefer a buyback program but I would comply.

Ok, lets see.

Get drug tested.

I have no problem with this at all.

If you can't afford it, don't get one. Easy squeezy.

Here ya go ron, you'll like this because i mean the collective mentality of the japanese is basically you

Was gonna say shit just got real, but shit has been real.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2348466.html

U.S. Shooting Deaths Since Sandy Hook Top 100

Posted: 12/21/2012 7:29 pm EST | Updated: 12/21/2012 9:30 pm EST

WASHINGTON -- The night after Sandy Hook, a gunman pulled behind a car in Kansas City's east side and opened fire, striking 4-year-old Aydan Perea in the head. The boy had just gotten into his father's car.

?He was innocent and he was just lifeless,? said the first bystander to reach Aydan. ?All my life I?ve never seen nothing so devastating. I?m unable to eat, I?m unable to sleep because I see this baby in my head."

It was not the pre-schooler's first brush with gun violence. A year earlier, a gunman fired a shotgun at the house where Aydan had been staying. No one was injured, but bullets shattered a front window and riddled a parked car. This week, days after the drive-by shooting, doctors declared the boy brain dead.

Aydan's mother said her world has "stopped."

In the week following the Sandy Hook massacre, a body was found inside a vacant house, at a car wash, in a bodega. They were discovered on a bike trail, in a backyard, inside the front office of a motel, in an idling Chevy pickup. They were the 67th murder in their city and the 88th and the 124th.

All had one thing in common: the murder weapon. All died from gunshots. Shots to the head. Multiples to the chest. And so on.

This week, as mourners gathered in Newtown, Conn., to bury Sandy Hook Elementary's dead, and a nation renewed its debate over guns, the shootings did not stop. The Huffington Post spent the week tracking gun-related homicides and accidents throughout the U.S., logging more than 100 from Google and Nexis searches. This is by no means a definitive tally. In 2010, there were more than twice that many homicides alone in an average week.

There were murder-suicides. One was shot in the face while sleeping, a baby sound asleep in a crib nearby. One was a grandmother on her way home from a store.

On Saturday afternoon, a 3-year-old in Guthrie, Okla., died after accidentally shooting himself in the head with a gun he found inside his aunt and uncle's house. His uncle is an Oklahoma state trooper.

"Nobody should have to go through something like that," a resident said during a candlelight vigil for the boy. An aunt at the vigil said, "We are all so close to him. My brother here visited him three times a week and my mom babysat him twice a week."

Paul Sampleton Jr., 14, was bound and shot in his Gwinnett County, Ga., townhome on Wednesday afternoon. His father found him in the kitchen. Police suspect a robbery motive.

"He was smiling, listening to music," a friend recalled to a local reporter. "He got on his bus, I got on mine. We were all happy."

A 20-year-old man shot and killed Veronica Soto, a young mother of two, in an apparent road rage incident on Thursday. Soto and her husband had gone out to a nearby Jack in the Box in the Houston area when they became involved in a confrontation with drivers in two other cars. The accused killer Mark Trevino, and the victim's husband pulled guns.

"Investigators said Mark Trevino came to a stop, ran into his home on Addicks-Clodine, grabbed a rifle and started shooting. Soto was shot in the head. Her husband also pulled out his gun. 'They started shooting back and forth and the bullet went through the windshield, hit her and went out the back windshield,' said Matthew Soto, the victim?s brother-in-law," reported a Houston television station.

The station continued: "Soto?s distraught husband drove to his sister-in-law?s house on Las Brisas near Plaza Libre for help, but it was too late. The mother collapsed and died at the scene."

Soto had two daughters, ages 7 and 14. She just turned 30.

In Georgetown, Ohio, a 71-year-old man was arrested on Sunday after shooting his adult son John Louderback in the chest. The sheriff's office said the man called 911 and confessed.

Ramona Foreman was found shot in the doorway of the Oakland, Calif., 92nd Avenue Head Start office. The 48-year-old and her sister were walking home from a store when shots rang out. Foreman had been the innocent victim of a drive-by shooting. The victim's stepdaughter told a reporter that her grandmother was the 13th person she knows killed this year.

Deputy Sheriff Christopher Parsons, 31, worked the early-morning shift on Saturday, when he took an emergency call to assist an unconscious woman at a trailer park in Mineral Point, Mo. As he helped place the woman in the ambulance, her son came out of the mobile home and fired a rifle, killing Parsons.

The deputy had been on the police force for two months. "He had so completely figured things out and had worked so hard," his mother told a reporter.

On Sunday in New Orleans, three people were shot and killed, including 18-year-old Lawrence Burt, 56-year-old Vivian Snyder, and a 56-year-old Jefferson Parish taxi driver Joseph Wilfred, who was shot behind the wheel. According to an account, he'd been on the job for about three weeks.

That same afternoon, 25-year-old Krystal Garcia Nacoa was allegedly shot to death by her husband, Leonardo Nacoa, 26, at their Porterville, Calif., home. Police found the husband's cell phone number and called it multiple times, until the man finally picked up. He admitted that he had fled across the border to Mexico. Police were able to get Nacoa to surrender.

His three young children were inside the home at the time of the shooting and weren't physically hurt.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1225758

NRA's 'ludicrous' proposal to have armed guards at every school would cost $3.3 billion

A Daily News analysis found that placing an additional armed officer in each of the city’s roughly 1,750 schools would cost about $81 million in salaries alone — plus benefits worth about a third of the yearly pay, for a total annual bill of well over

If NRA chief Wayne LaPierre had his way, all school kids would see something like this heavily armed FBI agent as they walked into their schools.

Educators, parents, and students said the National Rifle Association’s proposal to place armed guards in all U.S. schools would alienate kids, cost a fortune — and only increase the danger in their classrooms.

“What the NRA proposed is ludicrous,” said city teachers union president Michael Mulgrew. “It’ll ruin the learning environment. We don’t want our students to think their schools are prisons.”

Of roughly 1,300 school buildings in New York, just 10 are assigned safety officers with guns. Another 350 police officers are assigned to patrol the city schools, with about 150 armed cops visiting dozens of schools on any given day.

A Daily News analysis found that placing an additional armed officer in each of the city’s roughly 1,750 schools would cost about $81 million in salaries alone — plus benefits worth about a third of the yearly pay, for a total annual bill of well over $100 million.

On a national scale, putting an armed guard in each of the country’s roughly 98,000 public schools would cost over $3.3 billion each year in salaries alone — plus benefits — according to Labor Bureau figures that put the average yearly pay of a a security guard at about $33,840.

Students at Dewitt Clinton High School in the Bronx — which has armed security — said adding more guns to schools would only increase the likelihood of kids getting shot.

“What happens when someone grabs the cop’s gun?” asked junior Ashley Rogress of the Bronx.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2Fl4VMnM3

Double.

Here ya go ron, you'll like this because i mean the collective mentality of the japanese is basically you

The more I think about it the more I wanna go there and teach English.

Interesting. 10 schools already have armed officers daily and another 150 armed officers patrol schools on any given day.

Interesting. 10 schools already have armed officers daily and another 150 armed officers patrol schools on any given day.
    Trust me, the schools that have that are NOT elementary schools in the suburbs.

I won't be vague, so I'll spell it out. Those officers are there to protect the teachers from the students and the students from each other, not little kids from some spree killer.

Yeah, different guns for different game. If you are hunting down turkeys, you don't use a shotgun because all that would be left is a floof of feathers and a wasted bird that didnt go into your freezer.
    I believe in not wasting what is killed for our freezer so when I hear about dipshits killing squirrels for target practice, it makes me mad.
    And there is no need for any guns that hold rounds in that amount. Seriously a lot of hunting rifles only allow for a clip of 5 or so. You have to reload if you arent getting anything but when we hunt, we don't blindly shoot because that's just retarded. If you can't make a clean kill, then don't go hunting.

And yes, I said I would give up my collection if the govt said so.

A lot of gun owners won't admit it, but the bottom line is that they just love guns.
    Im a gun owner and have no problem saying I like my guns. They serve our purpose. Does that mean we support idiots shooting them off at children or other innocent bystanders? No.
    I have guns that havent been shot in years.

Trust me, the schools that have that are NOT elementary schools in the suburbs.

I won't be vague, so I'll spell it out. Those officers are there to protect the teachers from the students and the students from each other, not little kids from some spree killer.
    That's fucking sad. Part of me wants to ask you why it's ok to bring firearms around a school of teenagers, but not 6-10 year olds, but it almost seems irrelevant if the fucking teachers need protection.

That's fucking sad. Part of me wants to ask you why it's ok to bring firearms around a school of teenagers, but not 6-10 year olds, but it almost seems irrelevant if the fucking teachers need protection.
    Yea, it is. It's a police presence, and it's what you need for intimidation.

Not all schoolchildren are innocent little flowers. That's why arming Ms. Stubinsky, the 112 lbs. 5'6" 55-year old lady is basically handing a student a gun.

Shit like this is different than thinking your 6-year old is a target.
    http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...rbs&id=8902638

I'm getting mental images of scenes from the movie Dangerous Minds, except in NY and not Cali.

I'm getting mental images of scenes from the movie Dangerous Minds, except in NY and not Cali.
    SOmething like that. Except actual bad asses don't go to class, they just kinda hang around the school after 12pm.

So yea, this is just another reason armed teachers are a bad idea. And having cops walk around is something that's in place at schools that are basically mini-prisons to begin with. You know, the places with metal detectors.

Thread Information