Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Gun Control

In order to hopefully save some threads from being hijacked by the debate.. voila.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

I honestly don't know what to say anymore. It breaks my heart that people really think the answer is more guns in schools, that teachers should have to be armed and trained, that armed guards need to be present, that people who are mentally ill need to be put on a list, that funding from schools should be cut, that funds that go to help those in need should be diverted to what is looking more and more like the NRA's grand plan to become its own for hire police force/mini military. I can't believe that people don't see that the NRA doesn't want to expand gun owner's rights, it wants to have more control over who can have those guns by flooding the country with weapons and ammunition so that incidents like Newtown continue to happen because those incidents reinforce the NRA's position: we need more guns in the hands of the chosen few.

I'm not for an all-out ban on guns, but if the NRA continues on its current path, I may very well start considering it.

Pretty much if you don't talk about gun control in that thread you will be ignored.

Canada seems to do ok without guns, just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by jeneria View Post
    I honestly don't know what to say anymore. It breaks my heart that people really think the answer is more guns in schools, that teachers should have to be armed and trained, that armed guards need to be present, that people who are mentally ill need to be put on a list, that funding from schools should be cut, that funds that go to help those in need should be diverted to what is looking more and more like the NRA's grand plan to become its own for hire police force/mini military. I can't believe that people don't see that the NRA doesn't want to expand gun owner's rights, it wants to have more control over who can have those guns by flooding the country with weapons and ammunition so that incidents like Newtown continue to happen because those incidents reinforce the NRA's position: we need more guns in the hands of the chosen few.

I'm not for an all-out ban on guns, but if the NRA continues on its current path, I may very well start considering it.
    You will never be able to ban all guns. They are getting in the country illegally and will continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by nolajersey View Post
    You will never be able to ban all guns. They are getting in the country illegally and will continue to do so.
    But the answer can't be to do nothing. Maybe there should be more aggressive gun return policies.

I think that if we stopped manufacturing certain guns and certain ammo that would definitely make a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfallsoon View Post
    But the answer can't be to do nothing. Maybe there should be more aggressive gun return policies.
    I think that if we stopped manufacturing certain guns and certain ammo that would definitely make a huge difference.
    i agree with both of you and your points. They are very valid and very smart.

Nobody is saying it can happen overnight, but it can happen.

A series of shootings along a stretch of road in rural Pennsylvania has left four people dead and three state troopers injured, according to WJAC.

Three men and one woman were killed on Friday about 70 miles west of Harrisburg, Blair County District Attorney Rich Consiglio said.

The gunman was among those slain, the website reports.

This is a breaking news story that will be updated.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...241,b=facebook

Damn! I got sucked in to arguing in the other thread!

So who wants armed guards in our kids school? I don't.

armed guards in the schools is redic.

On April 20, 1999, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 12 students and one teacher at Columbine. On the scene that day was Neil Gardner, an armed sheriff’s deputy who had been policing the school for almost two years.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...d_program.html

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    armed guards in the schools is redic.

On April 20, 1999, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 12 students and one teacher at Columbine. On the scene that day was Neil Gardner, an armed sheriff?s deputy who had been policing the school for almost two years.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...d_program.html
    I believe Newtown had a cop on site as well. People aren't thinking this through. Spree/Mass shooters often want their names to go down in history. Armed guards will attract them because they'll be certain to die. It won't be a deterrent for anyone whose mentality is "I'm want to die anyway, better take as many with me as possible."

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Maybe some harsh fucking penalties on illegal guns. If you have an unregistered firearm you're not using it to put out fires in hospitals. You were up to no good, and you need to get gone. And a year per bullet.

But I mentioned this before, and I realize that this will cause people to go all out if they're facing a lot of time. You get pulled over and you're facing a mandatory 15-20 you're gonna open fire. I mean shit, you have a gun, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I believe Newtown had a cop on site as well. People aren't thinking this through. Spree/Mass shooters often want their names to go down in history. Armed guards will attract them because they'll be certain to die. It won't be a deterrent for anyone whose mentality is "I'm want to die anyway, better take as many with me as possible."
    I thought they were punks who wouldn't even think about shooting someone who's armed.

People love to use any insulting words against someone who does something they hate. Coward, punk, etc. But it's pretty brazen to shoot a place up. Don't think they're scared just because they didn't walk into a police station to do it.

They like to shoot themselves, it's not a suicide by cop thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    I thought they were punks who wouldn't even think about shooting someone who's armed.

People love to use any insulting words against someone who does something they hate. Coward, punk, etc. But it's pretty brazen to shoot a place up. Don't think they're scared just because they didn't walk into a police station to do it.
    I think anyone that goes to school to shoot children is a a punk. Excuse the fuck out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
    I think anyone that goes to school to shoot children is a a punk. Excuse the fuck out of me.
    You're excused.

Mayor Bloomberg didn't disappoint. Neither did Christine Quinn, Speaker of the New York City Council.
    Shit, even Police Commissioner Kelly represented!

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2012...hools-shameful

Bloomberg Calls NRA's Proposal to Put Armed Guards in Schools 'Shameful' Updated 43 mins ago
    December 21, 2012 2:57pm | By Jill Colvin, DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

NEW YORK CITY — City officials slammed a speech by National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre Friday, in which LaPierre called for armed guards at every school to prevent gun violence.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg accused the organization of shirking responsibility and blaming others for a problem they'd helped create.

"Their press conference was a shameful evasion of the crisis facing our country," said Bloomberg, who held a moment of silence at 9:30 a.m. to commemorate the victims of last Friday's shooting.

"Instead of offering solutions to a problem they have helped create, they offered a paranoid, dystopian vision of a more dangerous and violent America where everyone is armed and no place is safe," he said.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said he was disappointed by the speech.

"I thought they were going to come up with some recommendations, suggestions on gun control. That's what I thought was going to happen today," he said, dismissing the suggestion that schools should be armed.

Instead, Kelly endorsed a slew of reforms proposed by the mayor, including closing the so-called gun show loophole and renewing the assault weapons ban.

"I think all of these things don't really impact on the right for people to bear arms, the right to do recreational shooting or hunting," Kelly said.

During the widely televised speech delivered in Washington, DC., LaPierre argued the 20 young children who were murdered during the massacre at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. would still be alive if only school staff had been armed.

“The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,” he said, calling on all schools across the country to immediately hire armed guards.

“We care about our money, so we protect our banks with armed guards. American airports, office buildings, power plants, courthouses — even sports stadiums — are all protected by armed security… Yet when it comes to the most beloved, innocent and vulnerable members of the American family — our children — we as a society leave them utterly defenseless,” he said. “That must change now.”

New York City officials, who have been rallying since the shooting for stricter gun control, spoke out against LaPierre's proposal.

City Council Speaker Christine Quinn said the speech had been "salt in the wounds for all those families affected" and called the proposal "asinine."

"7 days after #newton the @nra only added more pain for those families affected. Adding more guns in schools is not an answer," she tweeted.

City Comptroller John Liu called the press conference, which was interrupted several times by protesters, “a bizarre misfire.”

“The NRA’s grotesque proposal insults the memory of the innocent victims who were gunned down in Newtown, Connecticut,” he said in a statement, calling the gun lobby’s argument that children be best protected if schools had armed guards “a twisted vision of a future in which no one is safe.”

Public Advocate Bill de Blasio called it "a complete disgrace," adding that, "Only the NRA would have the audacity to claim the solution to horrific school violence is to put more guns in our schools."

Bloomberg, a longtime gun control advocate and one of the co-founders of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, said this week that he intends to ramp up his political spending to press for new regulations and oppose the NRA.

The Department of Education did not immediately respond to questions about whether the city would consider placing armed guards in city schools.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2012...#ixzz2FinWezZg

I cant imagine armed guards in schools,makes me kinda nauseous.
    So some states actually have armed mall,carnival,and concert guards?

Quote Originally Posted by missbad View Post
    The closest we get to that here is having a local officer there, usually for traffic. They don't "patrol" the area.

The closest we get to that here is having a local officer there, usually for traffic. They don't "patrol" the area.
    None of the malls, carnivals or concerts I have been too. The only time I remember seeing armed guards was in the subway right after 9/11 and during the victory parades for the Super Bowl.

Thanks for answering guys. The only time I have ever seen anything close to it is at the banks in Mexico. It was not very friendly and that's what I picture in my head when I hear armed guard.

None of the malls, carnivals or concerts I have been too. The only time I remember seeing armed guards was in the subway right after 9/11 and during the victory parades for the Super Bowl.
    Yea, I dunno what kind of police state she lives in, but DO NOT WANT.

Thanks for answering guys. The only time I have ever seen anything close to it is at the banks in Mexico. It was not very friendly and that's what I picture in my head when I hear armed guard.
    Exactly.

I found the Christine Quinn quote :
    Responses from New York education officials ranged from the blunt — “The NRA is wrong,” Chancellor Dennis Walcott said — to the enraged — City Council Speaker Christine Quinn called the comments “some of the most stupid, asinine, insensitive, ridiculous comments I have ever heard made in the public arena.” But they were all the same: Putting armed guards in schools won’t fly here.

http://gothamschools.org/2012/12/21/...school-guards/

I fucking LOVE that quote. hahaha. So this is what it feels like to be happy with government? Gotta remember this, cause I know it's not gonna last long.

But armed guards aren't gonna fly here. (whew)

Put an armed cop in my kid's school doesnt make me feel comfortable at all. I know nothing about this person, his mental health. Hell, he could just be the janitor with his 308 that he bought from Wal Mart walking around all Clint Eastwood style.

I don't want to even think about how the janitor/cop will be able to identify something terible happening because for all we know he only knows how to wax and polish the gym floors to a perfect degree.

There is always going to be human errors and I don't want to see any of these errors being actual children because of misfires or jumping to conclusions or whatever.

We've always had resource officers at our schools, but they weren't armed.

What about some rubber pellets instead of bullets? All of the gun owners can shoot rubber at each other and get to play with their guns, but no one dies.

Thread Information