Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Nurse Jacintha Saldanha (46) apparently took her own life after receiving a prank call about Catherine - Duchess of Cambridge

Nurse Jacintha Saldanha (46) apparently took her own life after receiving a prank call about Catherine - Duchess of Cambridge

Is this the right section? Whatever. This is a shame! I hope these so called radio DJs will be haunted by this for the rest of their lives! This is not right!

London (CNN) -- An employee at the hospital that was duped by a prank call from two Australian radio DJs concerning Prince William's pregnant wife, Catherine, has apparently committed suicide, the hospital confirmed Friday.

The employee, a member of the nursing staff, "was recently the victim of a hoax call," King Edward VII Hospital said in a media statement.

The DJs impersonated Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles in the prank call, in which some details of the Duchess of Cambridge's condition and care were given.
    Audio of the call posted online suggested a receptionist spoke briefly to the DJs, who host a show for the 2Day FM radio station in Sydney, before the call was put through to a nurse.

The hospital said Wednesday that it deeply regretted the call had been put through early Tuesday morning.

The nurse found dead was the one who first received the prank call and transferred it to the duchess's ward. Her family has been contacted, the hospital said.

The radio show apologized for the call Wednesday, saying it "was done with light-hearted intentions."

The Duchess of Cambridge was discharged from the hospital Thursday after treatment for acute morning sickness.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/07/wo...html?hpt=hp_t1
    Last edited by nestlequikie; 12-08-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Add name/age of victim to post

I hate pranks too, especially by radio DJ's. But I'm guessing there was more going on in her life to drive her to the point of suicide than one dumb phone call. I don't think it's fair to say they are responsible for her death.

I really don't know. Maybe she was an insecure person? Maybe she was scared of losing her job, being sentenced to jail or whatever because of that prank? I mean, this is BIG business, these are the Royals! The consequences would probably scare the shit out of me!

ron_nyc: I don't like the black ones much.

Ugh, this is so awful. I agree with Starry that this was a pretty major deal. How awful to be humiliated like that for someone's amusement. I don't know if there is any kind of health privacy regulations like HIPAA in the UK. If their laws are anything like HIPAA, sharing details of Catherine's treatment and condition could land someone in jail, with fines and loss of licensure.

I'd bet William is about to lose his shit over this. Intrusive assholes caused the wreck that killed his mom and now his barfy, frail pregnant wife has to deal with more intrusive assholes. (Barfy and frall sounds rude, but she just doesn't seem like she could handle serious stress).

Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    Ugh, this is so awful. I agree with Starry that this was a pretty major deal. How awful to be humiliated like that for someone's amusement. I don't know if there is any kind of health privacy regulations like HIPAA in the UK. If their laws are anything like HIPAA, sharing details of Catherine's treatment and condition could land someone in jail, with fines and loss of licensure.
    We have the Data Protection Act which is supposed to prevent things like this from happening. It's weird because the only people I've seen make a big deal out of this whole thing are Americans. All my British friends are all "meh" about it. Even Wills and Kate said they didn't care about the phone call and are not going to make a complaint about it.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamdinger125 View Post
    I hate pranks too, especially by radio DJ's. But I'm guessing there was more going on in her life to drive her to the point of suicide than one dumb phone call. I don't think it's fair to say they are responsible for her death.
    What the hell is wrong with you people??

These DJs shouldn't give a shit. They made a goofy phone call. People need to fucking relax. If you think these guys should feel guilty, then what about these guys?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865...nking-contest/
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfreak View Post
    We have the Data Protection Act which is supposed to prevent things like this from happening. It's weird because the only people I've seen make a big deal out of this whole thing are Americans. All my British friends are all "meh" about it. Even Wills and Kate said they didn't care about the phone call and are not going to make a complaint about it.
    Because overreaction is one of our biggest exports.

Wills and Kate don't care, but some chick from Michigan is outraged. God, Americans are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

These DJs shouldn't give a shit. They made a goofy phone call. People need to fucking relax. If you think these guys should feel guilty, then what about these guys?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865...nking-contest/
    There is a difference. The woman took part in the contest and did this dumb thing that killed her. She knew what she was doing, she probably even signed some document that she wouldn't suit the radio station in case of harm or anything. The lady in the hospital didn't know the call was a prank.

Quote Originally Posted by StarrySky87 View Post
    There is a difference. The woman took part in the contest and did this dumb thing that killed her. She knew what she was doing, she probably even signed some document that she wouldn't suit the radio station in case of harm or anything. The lady in the hospital didn't know the call was a prank.
    OK, mind blown.

Quote Originally Posted by StarrySky87 View Post
    It was a joke. The DJs had no way of knowing that it would go this far. They shouldn't be held responsible for someone's total overreaction to a bit of fun. Also anyone who thinks the Queen would ring the hospital herself to ask visiting times is a moron.

It was a joke. The DJs had no way of knowing that it would go this far. They shouldn't be held responsible for someone's total overreaction to a bit of fun. Also anyone who thinks the Queen would ring the hospital herself to ask visiting times is a moron.
    THANK YOU!

Americans, this is seriously why we can't have nice things. It is EXACTLY why.

THANK YOU!

Americans, this is seriously why we can't have nice things. It is EXACTLY why.
    This whole thing has been bizarre. Nobody on this side of the pond gives a shit. Is it a slow news week in America? Do you have nothing better to worry about?

This whole thing has been bizarre. Nobody on this side of the pond gives a shit. Is it a slow news week in America? Do you have nothing better to worry about?
    Dude, people here get upset over EVERYTHING. We are a nation of gun-toters that get butthurt over everything. For a place with such a tough cowboy image, the truth is we're a joke. A sensitive place that can't take a fucking joke. It's sad. And the worse part? We cater to these children. If someone has some funny prank that someone decided they don't like, there's a letter wriing campaign to get that person fired.

"Oh, someone was offended? Let's not tell them to get over it, let's change everything!"

Radio stations here can't even have real pranks anymore cause of all the butthurt!!! Think about that!!
    Any radio station that does it, it's all set up with actors. Why? Cause of sensitive butthurt people ruining everything. It fucking makes me so angry.

The comments on their fb page are ridicoulous. Pranks have been around forever and people being pranked on the radio isn't something new. It's very sad that this lady killed herself, but if she didn't, 90% of the people that are outraged now wouldn't think twice about the whole thing, or even laugh about it.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

I don't like malicious pranks but this was purely for fun. Those DJs couldn't have believed in a million years that they would actually get put through to the ward let alone how far this while thing would go. The nurse totally overreacted if she really did kill herself over this. She wasn't going to be sacked. She'd have gotten a bollacking and then for a few weeks she'd have probably had people making stupid jokes about it and then it would be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid_much View Post
    The comments on their fb page are ridicoulous. Pranks have been around forever and people being pranked on the radio isn't something new. It's very sad that this lady killed herself, but if she didn't, 90% of the people that are outraged now wouldn't think twice about the whole thing, or even laugh about it.
    I see you're not American.
    Or at least you're not in America. Either way, you're doing it right. Haha.

I don't like malicious pranks but this was purely for fun. Those DJs couldn't have believed in a million years that they would actually get put through to the ward let alone how far this while thing would go. The nurse totally overreacted if she really did kill herself over this. She wasn't going to be sacked. She'd have gotten a bollacking and then for a few weeks she'd have probably had people making stupid jokes about it and then it would be forgotten.
    Yea, like...if you convince some dude that his wife is cheating on him (as a prank) and you hear him go shoot her, I could see people being like "whoa, dude, what the fuck??" but over this shit?

I see you're not American.
    Or at least you're not in America. Either way, you're doing it right. Haha.
    I just don't get it. She was the nurse who put them through right? They spoke with eachother for a total of 7 seconds if that is the case. The dj put on a dumb accent, asked for Kate and she said hold on and put them through, and because of that they are responsible for her death? Makes absolutely no sense to me.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid_much View Post
    I just don't get it. She was the nurse who put them through right? They spoke with each other for a total of 7 seconds if that is the case. The dj put on a dumb accent, asked for Kate and she said hold on and put them through, and because of that they are responsible for her death? Makes absolutely no sense to me.
    I really wish someone could explain to me how they are responsible, or why the fuck they should lose sleep over it.

Can someone American speak up so we don't all look like a bunch of butthurt crybabies that are always looking for a scapegoat and a lawsuit?!?

I think you misunderstood me. I don't think the suicide was the DJ's fault AT ALL. I don't like pranks because, well, I just don't like them. I don't like seeing people made to feel stupid. But I totally agree that this woman took her OWN life. No one took it for her.

I actually feel bad for the DJ's. They're being called irresponsible, bullies, murderers, etc. Seriously, how is this bullying? It's one dumb phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by hamdinger125 View Post
    I think you misunderstood me. I don't think the suicide was the DJ's fault AT ALL. I don't like pranks because, well, I just don't like them. I don't like seeing people made to feel stupid. But I totally agree that this woman took her OWN life. No one took it for her.

I actually feel bad for the DJ's. They're being called irresponsible, bullies, murderers, etc. Seriously, how is this bullying? It's one dumb phone call.
    Oh, OK. I can dig that.

And not liking pranks I can understand even if I don't agree. I mean, I don't like crocs but I don't think they need to be illegal. It's when people want action against fucking DJs for making phone calls. I mean seriously??

I just noticed the butthurt person that started the thread is in Germany.

But it's illegal to even say Nazi there, so I can see why she's the thought police.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    I listened to the conversation on two separate radio stations yesterday, and the hosts of both were like, MAN WE SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT, THAT'S FUNNY. I'm Team Ron on this one.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

This article just came on my news fb feed. The nurse that died didn't even give out info right? She just forwarded the call to the nurse taking care of Kate?

Why is this news?

Thread Information