Page 407 of 408 FirstFirst ... 307 357 397 405 406 407 408 LastLast
Results 10,151 to 10,175 of 10188

Thread: Chit Chat

  1. #10151
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18,724
    Rep Power
    21474863
    Time for everyone to feel old-today marks the 35th anniversary of the space shuttle Challenger explosion. I remember sitting in class in Middle School and our teacher came in and told us.

  2. #10152
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,810
    Rep Power
    20616079
    Thirty-five years, eh? Seems like yesterday.

    It was a day I'll always remember and not just for the Challenger. I had just parked my car down range on Fort Dix (NJ) to enjoy a quiet lunch away from the office when the news broke. As I sat there listening to the radio in total disbelief, a tiger (yeah, you read that right) slowly walked through the tall grass about 30 feet in front of my car! I audibly "WHOOOAAA'd!" and he stopped and stared at me for a second, and then continued on his way.



    I probably looked like a cartoon character with velocity lines when I peeled out of there. I rushed back to work where I was the only female among 30 men on a remote compound in the middle of the Jersey Pine Barrens (trust me, not as fun as it sounds). Everybody was in the lunch room huddled around the TV watching the Challenger disaster when I busted through the door out of breath and yelling about a tiger down range.

    Now for those of you not familiar with the fauna of New Jersey, tigers are not native to the state; however, we weren't too far from a safari park with tigers aplenty. My colleagues thought I was high, and it took me a very long time (if ever) to live it down. They laughed and joked about it like a group of teenage boys, and pooh-poohed my worries. Nobody believed me, and I mean NOBODY. I spent the rest of the afternoon responsibly calling everyone I could think of, and they all treated me like Dorothy when everyone was too busy to listen to her warnings about That Bitch Elvira Gulch! 'Yeah, thank you for calling but we don't have any reports of a loose tiger....' They insinuated it must have been a deer, or a big dog; because you know, I've worked in the middle of the Pines for years and literally see hundreds of deer a day - and they DO look a lot like tigers from 10 yards. It felt like everyone was in a daze about the Challenger and didn't have the focus to deal with a silly tiger call.

    The Challenger Disaster, an encounter with a loose tiger in the Jersey Pine Barrens, and my own personal WizOz moment all within an hour. It was a very surreal day, indeed.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 01-28-2021 at 06:24 PM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

  3. #10153
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18,724
    Rep Power
    21474863
    And you never heard anything further about the tiger???

  4. #10154
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18,724
    Rep Power
    21474863
    Is the board acting odd today for anyone else?

  5. #10155
    Senior Citizen Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    13,760
    Rep Power
    21474862
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Is the board acting odd today for anyone else?
    Yeah, I tried to reply to a thread and I got a pop-up asking me if I was sure I wanted to leave the site.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

  6. #10156
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18,724
    Rep Power
    21474863
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Yeah, I tried to reply to a thread and I got a pop-up asking me if I was sure I wanted to leave the site.
    That cracked me up way more than it should have. MDS is trying to get rid of you, lol.

    It's super slow, keeps giving me an error when I search, and it's putting threads with new posts not at the top of the list for me. Also, I saw that DT bumped a thread and I went to do something, and I clicked "new posts" and hers wasn't there, but one after it was. Odd. I hope it's not getting ready to go down.

  7. #10157
    Senior Citizen Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    13,760
    Rep Power
    21474862
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    That cracked me up way more than it should have. MDS is trying to get rid of you, lol.

    It's super slow, keeps giving me an error when I search, and it's putting threads with new posts not at the top of the list for me. Also, I saw that DT bumped a thread and I went to do something, and I clicked "new posts" and hers wasn't there, but one after it was. Odd. I hope it's not getting ready to go down.
    Well, after forcing MDS to relive the NYC meetup, I'm not surprised it wants to get rid of me. Haha. Troublemaker that I am!
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

  8. #10158
    Senior Member Angiebla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11,763
    Rep Power
    21474856
    It just keeps kicking me off and I have to log back on.

    "The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

  9. #10159
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18,724
    Rep Power
    21474863
    If it keeps doing it I will reach out to Mike and see if he can reset the board or something.

  10. #10160
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,810
    Rep Power
    20616079
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    And you never heard anything further about the tiger???
    Nothing, and I worked out there (near where I saw the tiger) for another 3+ years. I have told that story dozens of times in the ensuing years, and no one has believed me. They all think I thought I saw a tiger, but it must have been something else. But what else looks like a tiger that lives in the Jersey Pine Barrens?!* Seriously. It wasn't that far away and it had VERY prominent stripes. I'm telling you, it was a tiger. Sonnuvvagun might still be out there for all I know - plenty of deer to live off of. It's just bizarre to me that #1, nobody believed me (I was a responsible professional); and #2) nobody else saw the damned tiger! The whole day was surreal, I have no other words to describe it.

    *Someone actually suggested that perhaps I saw a large, buff-coloured great dane that someone had 'painted stripes on' as some kind of joke. That made about as much sense as a tiger stalking the Pinelands.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

  11. #10161
    Moderator puzzld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    19,525
    Rep Power
    21474869
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Nothing, and I worked out there (near where I saw the tiger) for another 3+ years. I have told that story dozens of times in the ensuing years, and no one has believed me. They all think I thought I saw a tiger, but it must have been something else. But what else looks like a tiger that lives in the Jersey Pine Barrens?!* Seriously. It wasn't that far away and it had VERY prominent stripes. I'm telling you, it was a tiger. Sonnuvvagun might still be out there for all I know - plenty of deer to live off of. It's just bizarre to me that #1, nobody believed me (I was a responsible professional); and #2) nobody else saw the damned tiger! The whole day was surreal, I have no other words to describe it.

    *Someone actually suggested that perhaps I saw a large, buff-coloured great dane that someone had 'painted stripes on' as some kind of joke. That made about as much sense as a tiger stalking the Pinelands.
    I don't quite see it... but maybe a brindle Mastiff? But no, if you saw a tiger, I believe you!
    brindle_mastiff_2.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

  12. #10162
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,810
    Rep Power
    20616079
    Puzz, when I first saw it moving in the grass, that's EXACTLY what I thought it was - a brindle mastiff! I had rescued many abandoned dogs from that area* but nothing as big as a mastiff, I was contemplating how I was going to do it as it was sort of zig-zagging through the grass toward me. The vegetation wasn't heavy, but it was tall, and as it got closer I could see the stripes more clearly defined and realized this wasn't a brindle mastiff; but my mind still wasn't screaming Tiger because it wasn't in the realm of things I expected to see in the Jersey Pine Barrens in the middle of winter! It slowly dawned on me but I still couldn't believe my lying eyes, and when it got about 30 ft away it turned and walked straight across my field of vision. I yelled, "Whoooaaaaa! That's a $#@&!*@ TIGER!" And it froze and turned it's head and stared right at the car for a few seconds and then slowly strolled away, totally relaxed and calm. I couldn't get out of there fast enough! I'm such a wuss, but dealing with tigers was NOT in my job description.

    *In fact, I rescued a beautiful black lab from there just days later. I had seen him hanging around, but he was afraid of the car. I was desperate to rescue him because I was terrified he would be eaten by the tiger. Happy ending for Max and my sister's family who adopted him.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 01-30-2021 at 10:39 PM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

  13. #10163
    Moderator puzzld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    19,525
    Rep Power
    21474869
    Well, ya know, if I had a tiger that went walk about and I managed to get him back home without making a "thing" about it... I'd probably keep it quiet! So I'm gonna say it was a lucky thing for everyone. The tiger, the lab and you!
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

  14. #10164
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18,724
    Rep Power
    21474863
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Well, ya know, if I had a tiger that went walk about and I managed to get him back home without making a "thing" about it... I'd probably keep it quiet! So I'm gonna say it was a lucky thing for everyone. The tiger, the lab and you!
    That's exactly what I was going to say. They can be fined if it was known their tiger got out, so I bet they ran and caught the tiger and just went along with the "that lady is crazy" story.

    Also, good on you KT for rescuing the pups!

  15. #10165
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,810
    Rep Power
    20616079
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Well, ya know, if I had a tiger that went walk about and I managed to get him back home without making a "thing" about it... I'd probably keep it quiet! So I'm gonna say it was a lucky thing for everyone. The tiger, the lab and you!
    Funny you mention this. One of the calls I made that afternoon was to the nearby Safari Park run by a major corporation which I will not mention here (but the name rhymes with Dick Sags). As soon as I explained the reason for my call, there was a heavy silence and I'd be transferred. Finally, I was told there were no missing tigers but they wanted very specific details on the location where I "thought" I saw him.

    I always suspected the tiger was an escapee from the "Dick Sags" Safari Park; but now I've watched "The Tiger King" and I realize the exotics trade is more common than I thought. Chances are it was just a pet kept by someone who lived near that remote location.

    But thank you everyone who believes me. This has weighed heavy on my heart for 35 years until RBW ripped the scab off that wound by asking us to remember that fateful day.

    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    That's exactly what I was going to say. They can be fined if it was known their tiger got out, so I bet they ran and caught the tiger and just went along with the "that lady is crazy" story.

    Also, good on you KT for rescuing the pups!
    All of us at the compound rescued dozens of dogs (and a few cats). We had a Compound Dog who lived there and a rescued deer who followed us around like a puppy. It was a great place to work.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

  16. #10166
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18,724
    Rep Power
    21474863
    Mike is aware of the board issues. I know it went down completely. Hopefully it will reset and stop acting odd.

  17. #10167
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18,724
    Rep Power
    21474863
    So does anyone day trade? Has anyone been screwed or helped by the Reddit jerkoffs' stock manipulation? I do a little day trading, but so far haven't really been affected, other than overall market uneasiness, which isn't always a bad thing for day trading.

  18. #10168
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18,724
    Rep Power
    21474863
    Really odd things are happening with the board today. Quotes are wonky and a thread I was looking at moved from Preemie to general (I moved it back, but no one moved it). I don't know what is going on.

  19. #10169
    Cranjis McBasketball Nic B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    8,857
    Rep Power
    21474854
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Really odd things are happening with the board today. Quotes are wonky and a thread I was looking at moved from Preemie to general (I moved it back, but no one moved it). I don't know what is going on.
    Yeah, I noticed. The last week or so has been weird, off and on.


    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

  20. #10170
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18,724
    Rep Power
    21474863
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Yeah, I noticed. The last week or so has been weird, off and on.
    Mike says it's fragile like a teacup, lol.

  21. #10171
    Cranjis McBasketball Nic B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    8,857
    Rep Power
    21474854
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Mike says it's fragile like a teacup, lol.
    I thought it was my computer being slow. Guess it's the site, overloaded by so many posters....ha ha.


    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

  22. #10172
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18,724
    Rep Power
    21474863
    Anyone else get a credit card charge for a really small amount from COLOADTEST.com? Mine was for 1.35 and it was on my old credit card but the cc card company authorized it because they said it was set up as a recurring charge from a merchant (it wasn't) and they sent me an email and text saying so. I had no idea who this was, so I googled and there is a big thing going on with people getting this charge. There is a huge Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/Advice/comm...m_source=share on it.

    So I had to go dispute the charge. Since it was on my old card I don't have to get a new card, and they locked the old number so no new charges can flow to my new card. Anyone else get hit?

  23. #10173
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18,724
    Rep Power
    21474863
    So no one here got hit except me? I promise you it's a 'thing' it wasn't just me. Go look at your credit card (and some debit cards I read) account. I am wondering if they are testing the accounts and then plan to hit with a big charge in a couple of days.

  24. #10174
    Moderator puzzld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    19,525
    Rep Power
    21474869
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    So no one here got hit except me? I promise you it's a 'thing' it wasn't just me. Go look at your credit card (and some debit cards I read) account. I am wondering if they are testing the accounts and then plan to hit with a big charge in a couple of days.
    That's a good theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

  25. #10175
    Senior Member Angiebla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11,763
    Rep Power
    21474856
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    So no one here got hit except me? I promise you it's a 'thing' it wasn't just me. Go look at your credit card (and some debit cards I read) account. I am wondering if they are testing the accounts and then plan to hit with a big charge in a couple of days.
    Sounds like that's what their doing.

    I had my husband check our account and there was no charges from that place.

    "The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •