Page 349 of 420 FirstFirst ... 249 299 339 347 348 349 350 351 359 399 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,725 of 10500

Thread: Chit Chat

So, I need some help with something. My mom was evicted last month, and I have no idea how to find her. I contacted Community Action because she gets assistance form them, but they say they can't tell me anything about where she is currently located, so I have no clue how to find her. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm assuming she didn't tell you where she was going? Does she have any friends/family to go to or tell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    I'm assuming she didn't tell you where she was going? Does she have any friends/family to go to or tell?
    She had no way of telling me really, and the only family who has contact with her is me. I am trying to find her case worker and ask her, but it is slow going.

oh, that's a little sad. idk, but maybe you or her should get one of those government phones so this doesn't happen again? Does she have the resources to get another place or would she end up in a homeless shelter? Did she live close to you so you could go to her old place and see if she talked to neighbors or anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Does she attend a church? Does she have a local food pantry that she visits. They might have a community bulletin board. I wonder if her landlord has a forwarding address? Does she use the local library to use computers? Try the close neighbors where she lived, they might know what her plans were. Does she know your number? I hope you find her.

Does she have any particular place she likes to frequent?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

MRW I have instant ramen for the first time in months

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    The baby killed her and is now hitchhiking to Mexico.

Case solved!

Has anyone seen this yet?

Kid got kicked out of college for being a huge douche over mac n cheese.

I bet his parents are so proud.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/s...ClickOnDetroit

https://www.facebook.com/Luke-Gatti-...3839/timeline/
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

That manager deserves a raise for the amount of restraint he showed. Holy shit. That little twatgoblin should have had his teeth knocked out by minute 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    She had no way of telling me really, and the only family who has contact with her is me. I am trying to find her case worker and ask her, but it is slow going.
    If she's in contact with the agency much try asking if you can leave a written message for them to hopefully pass on to her? Rough shit, man, hope you're able to track moms down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

I've pretty much exhausted all those resources. She doesn't get around very well, so there is no place I could imagine her frequenting.

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    That manager deserves a raise for the amount of restraint he showed. Holy shit. That little twatgoblin should have had his teeth knocked out by minute 3.
    People are all like "THIS IS OUR FUTURE!" and "College used to be for sophisticated individuals, what happened!??" and "Just another entitled millennial asshole!"

Uhhhh... I'll tell you what happened. Your wiser, way more awesome generation raised this asshole to be an asshole. Then they sent him away to college to live the teenage dream on their dime.

it drives me fucking nuts when dumbasses point fingers at younger generations. Where the fuck do you think they came from? YOUR GENERATION.

...and then blames Obama.

(can't rep you)

There is much in what you say. When I went to college, back before the earth had cooled... no one offered me a student loan. Not one. Because I didn't need it. I had money saved for college (my parents doing really, of every dime I ever got as "allowance" or birthday money, babysitting money, summer jobs etc., a nickle went into the college account, from before I started kindergarten. I'm not going to lie, there were times I really resented my folks taking "my" money, but boy was it nice to have that cushion later on.) then there were a couple of scholarships and grants and... well I finished my undergrad with enough money still in the bank for my MLIS. I was lucky in that, but doubly lucky that no one saddled me with a lifetime of debt before I even got started on my own life.

ETA.. Also... I realize times have changed. My savings account made at least 6% interest the whole time I had it and college credits were $22 per credit hour at the state schools I attended. I'm not knocking people who can't pay out of pocket now. Hell at some schools it costs more to park for a semester now than my classes cost me. Now for perspective, my baby sitting gigs made me a dollar an hour and "real" jobs were about 3.50... so yeah.

So yeah this current generation and the one ahead of them, kind of got screwed on the financing college front, but you all had the Internet and word processing so it didn't go all our way. I had a manual type writer, white out and 3x5 cards.

As for assholes? Well they've always been with us. Don't let anyone kid you.
    Last edited by puzzld; 10-07-2015 at 01:18 PM.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    I've pretty much exhausted all those resources. She doesn't get around very well, so there is no place I could imagine her frequenting.
    Call the cops and report her as a missing endangered person?
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    There is much in what you say. When I went to college, back before the earth had cooled... no one offered me a student loan. Not one. Because I didn't need it. I had money saved for college (my parents doing really, of every dime I ever got as "allowance" or birthday money, babysitting money, summer jobs etc., a nickle went into the college account, from before I started kindergarten. I'm not going to lie, there were times I really resented my folks taking "my" money, but boy was it nice to have that cushion later on.) then there were a couple of scholarships and grants and... well I finished my undergrad with enough money still in the bank for my MLIS. I was lucky in that, but doubly lucky that no one saddled me with a lifetime of debt before I even got started on my own life.

ETA.. Also... I realize times have changed. My savings account made at least 6% interest the whole time I had it and college credits were $22 per credit hour at the state schools I attended. I'm not knocking people who can't pay out of pocket now. Hell at some schools it costs more to park for a semester now than my classes cost me. Now for perspective, my baby sitting gigs made me a dollar an hour and "real" jobs were about 3.50... so yeah.

So yeah this current generation and the one ahead of them, kind of got screwed on the financing college front, but you all had the Internet and word processing so it didn't go all our way. I had a manual type writer, white out and 3x5 cards.

As for assholes? Well they've always been with us. Don't let anyone kid you.
    It definitely was a different world then. It was a different world just 15-20yrs ago. I think the biggest difference was that you were forced to 'survive' and work your own way into life because your parents didn't raise you with the expectation that they have to pay for your life to start (college). I think that's a huge mistake a lot of parents make, and I might be totally alone in that belief. Parents treat their adult children like they're still 10yr olds going to their first day of 5th grade by paying for their college tution and room and board... and then wonder why that generation acts like a bunch of bratty little kids. They didn't have to earn it. They don't know what kind of money is on the line or how hard it was worked for, because they never had to. That's not entirely their fault.

If I have kids, I'm not going to make it my responsibility to fund their college years. They will have a job when they're in highschool, and they will learn how to budget and fend for themselves because I'll teach them how. If they choose to take out loans, they'll be well prepared for the responsibility because I'll teach them about paying bills and credit before that happens.

When you raise your kids to be kids instead of adults, guess what will happen? People don't just wake up and start adulting...

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    It definitely was a different world then. It was a different world just 15-20yrs ago. I think the biggest difference was that you were forced to 'survive' and work your own way into life because your parents didn't raise you with the expectation that they have to pay for your life to start (college). I think that's a huge mistake a lot of parents make, and I might be totally alone in that belief. Parents treat their adult children like they're still 10yr olds going to their first day of 5th grade by paying for their college tution and room and board... and then wonder why that generation acts like a bunch of bratty little kids. They didn't have to earn it. They don't know what kind of money is on the line or how hard it was worked for, because they never had to. That's not entirely their fault.

If I have kids, I'm not going to make it my responsibility to fund their college years. They will have a job when they're in highschool, and they will learn how to budget and fend for themselves because I'll teach them how. If they choose to take out loans, they'll be well prepared for the responsibility because I'll teach them about paying bills and credit before that happens.

When you raise your kids to be kids instead of adults, guess what will happen? People don't just wake up and start adulting...
    Totally agree!

I also don't understand the shift in thought to the current idea that you have to go away to college, live in the dorms, be all involved in the fraternity life, and cannot work while going to college. I have acquaintances who bitch about the cost of sending their (always several) kids to college, and when I suggest that the kids could go to a State school, start at a community college, work to pay at least some of the bill, not live on campus, etc, they act like I am speaking in tongues.

Going to a community college was the best thing that I ever did. I went to a private university for the 2nd part of my degree, but only because they offered me a pretty decent scholarship based on my academics and community service. I worked full time during my entire college career, and I was out of the house on my own by the time I was 16, so I didn't get a dime from my parents. After I got my AA, I was able to work for places that offered at least some tuition reimbursement. I made it through my MBA with only one loan, and that's because my dog got cancer that semester and I took out the loan to pay for her chemo.

I realize that it's a different world from the mid 90's when I started college, but I also realize that as Shins said, if parents don't expect their kids to grow up and mature, most kids will gladly never take responsibility. My parents never even discussed helping any of us with college, so we always knew that it was on us if we wanted to go. I think when you pay for it yourself (even partially), it means more.

I also think that not every kid should go to college. There are some good jobs out there that can be obtained through trade school or OTJ experience, and I think a lot of debt is racked up unnecessarily because parents want to send every kid to college. Even if kids are going to go to college, I think a year or two of working and experiencing real life is a plus before they make a decision with could impact the rest of their lives.

Yes. All of this. Both Shins and RBW.

I've worked my entire life in academia and yes. So much expense and heartache could be avoided by making the kid take responsibility for his/her future education/work life. Not saying parents shouldn't help, but paying for it all, and making all the decisions is a huge mistake.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    "Generation Me".
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Totally agree. It feels good knowing someone understands because like rbw said... people look at me like I'm speaking in tongues when I say I wouldn't pay for my kids college.

I was raised with the expectation that it was on me... after highschool it was up to what I did. My brother was raised differently, and so far has dropped out of 3 schools and doesn't work. He's broken now. He wasn't raised understanding work, so he's lacking that drive in his routine.

My taking responsibility has resulted in me being 31 years old, working on my AA for 10 years because that shit's expensive when you're paying out of pocket, and hard to find time when you're working full time. I just took a job paying half. Hopefully now I'll have time to take the like 2 or 4 classes I need, but now I'm not sure I can pay for it with the huge pay cut I took. I've refused to take out loans, but could have started a career 5 years ago if I had swallowed my pride and taken out a loan. Or if my parents had helped. Fuck any one of you who says or implies I haven't tried or haven't been responsible. And double fuck anyone who doesn't understand why spawning is 100% out of the question.

The system is set up for people to fail unless they're wealthy, and then people shit on them for being spoiled and unappreciative. Education should not be this difficult. You'd think we would want our civilians to be educated and skilled, but apparently only if they're rich and don't appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    "Generation Me".
    Yep, the product of a generation that failed at raising adults, because "I don't want them to struggle like I did."

Struggling is a part of life. It builds your ability to cope and adapt, recognize priorities, and appreciate what you have.

Oh and along with not all kids going to college, I think that's true. Not everyone is ready or a good fit for college, and if you ask me, we could use more tradesmen. If a kid picks up a trade and crafts a skill like carpentry or masonry, they'll do just fine without college. The clincher there is the demand for hard physical labor, which kids who've never had a job at 18 tend to not be too attracted to...

Quote Originally Posted by Fleta View Post
    The system is set up for people to fail unless they're wealthy, and then people shit on them for being spoiled and unappreciative. Education should not be this difficult. You'd think we would want our civilians to be educated and skilled, but apparently only if they're rich and don't appreciate it.
    Education should be a right not a privilege. You shouldn't have to ruin your life before it even really gets started because you have to take out big loans to pay for an education. My parents did not help me do shit. They did not prepare me for the real world AT ALL. I worked my way through college. All the way up through my masters. With a job I still had to take out loans. Now I'm barely getting by because I'm having to pay all that shit back. I did what I thought I was suppose to do to get ahead in life and it's pretty much left me poor and miserable. I work my ass off in a very mentally taxing field but I really feel like I get nothing out of it monetarily. It pisses me off that people think I do not try hard enough because if I did I'd just be rich and vote Republican. Our system is set up for failure across the board and it's absolute bullshit.

We tried to help our daughter out when she started college. Yep, we learned our lesson fast. She wasn't taking it serious. She couldn't even pick one major to focus on.
    Once she started having to take her own loans out...plus work, she started to look at things different. She took some time off school....and well, life happened. She has realized after the job hunt- you almost need some type of degree to get a decent paying job. She has resigned up for college for next year. This time she's doing the local community college.

My other daughter did things different. She knew she didn't want college. When she was in high school she started taking trade classes in welding. By the time she graduated in May- she was already a certified welder. She can pretty much work anywhere....and the pay is very good for a 18 year old.

The one rule we had in our house- they had to get a job when they turned 16. I'm proud to say that both girls kept the same job from 16-18. It taught them a ton of life experience, IMO.

Thread Information