Page 100 of 421 FirstFirst ... 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 110 150 200 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 10502

Thread: Chit Chat

Quote Originally Posted by poppym View Post
    Ok! It doesn't impact you. But you seem to be an experienced forum poster (maybe I'm wrong), I'm interested in your opinion?? What do you think one should do when such personal retorts are made, just because you disagree? ie, "you are blinded by personal issues" because you don't agree with me. [Genuine Question]
    Well, first thing: Don't demean their post or be like "We HEARD you!' Rule #1 of forum posts (for realz): Ignore personal attacks. Think of this as a playground and don't give into the bully. It's what they want. So ignore the personal attack and find the underlying point in their point.

"RAWR RAWR RAWR Yo mama so fat....and I really think that Jodi is innocent because she clearly wouldn't kill Travis with a dog in the house...when she sat down in class she sat next to eeeee-erybody! RAWWWWR"
    So - that's why they think she's innocent. Because she's an animal lover. Well, what about that whole puppy kicking incident? How did the dog run away? Point those out. Or where was Napoleon? Ect ect. See through the fluff and get to the meat of their post. Don't make any personal attacks back, either. Keep to your points. If you really don't understand the person, be sincere in your questioning.

I'm really not following your theories, and I'd like to understand how you're getting to the points you've come up with. Could you explain them a little differently or maybe use some examples (if they have used examples - ask for new ones)?
    Be respectful, show them you're really interested and it's not because you don't agree but that you don't understand.

Now, if you don't agree but want to have a debate or discussion - you can ask in the same manner:

Hey - I don't really see it the same way, but I'd be interested in knowing why you feel that way. Would you mind sharing how you came to your conclusions and why?
    And again, if they try and round robin you with personal attacks and not playing along then kill them with kindness and ignore the personal attack. Take the high road and tell them you understand they're of a different mindset but you want to understand why because you see if a different way and would like to discuss you're differing views in a respectful manner. If they don't want to, then it's not worth engaging and you need to look for someone else to have an engaging discourse with. Don't just engage in "ZOMG did you see this update?" "Down with Jodi, Up with Jaun!"

...also using the thread like chat will get it to 50k posts in no time. Use your subforum wisely, you've been given a gift folks.

I hope that helps!
    Last edited by Miller22; 03-31-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    Well, first thing: Don't demean their post or be like "We HEARD you!' Rule #1 of forum posts (for realz): Ignore personal attacks. Think of this as a playground and don't give into the bully. It's what they want. So ignore the personal attack and find the underlying point in their point.

So - that's why they think she's innocent. Because she's an animal lover. Well, what about that whole puppy kicking incident? How did the dog run away? Point those out. Or where was Napoleon? Ect ect. See through the fluff and get to the meat of their post. Don't make any personal attacks back, either. Keep to your points. If you really don't understand the person, be sincere in your questioning.

Be respectful, show them you're really interested and it's not because you don't agree but that you don't understand.

Now, if you don't agree but want to have a debate or discussion - you can ask in the same manner:

And again, if they try and round robin you with personal attacks and not playing along then kill them with kindness and ignore the personal attack. Take the high road and tell them you understand they're of a different mindset but you want to understand why because you see if a different way and would like to discuss you're differing views in a respectful manner. If they don't want to, then it's not worth engaging and you need to look for someone else to have an engaging discourse with. Don't just engage in "ZOMG did you see this update?" "Down with Jodi, Up with Jaun!"

...also using the thread like chat will get it to 50k posts in no time. Use your subforum wisely, you've been given a gift folks.

I hope that helps!
    This is brilliant! You should post it on the JA thread! And thank you for answering me!

Love all your points and take them on board!

Strangely, it's what seems to be happening with the new thread!

Calm after the storm? Maybe! But I think quite a few of realize we were getting a bit intense!

Quote Originally Posted by poppym View Post
    This is brilliant! You should post it on the JA thread! And thank you for answering me!

Love all your points and take them on board!

Strangely, it's what seems to be happening with the new thread!

Calm after the storm? Maybe! But I think quite a few of realize we were getting a bit intense!

Err, I don't think people aren't using the subforum wisely/not using the thread as chat. It's already at 8 pages in one day. And that's because they're mostly discussing interrogation tapes? Why not make a separate thread to discuss the interrogation tapes?

Each trial day you could have a thread for that day, or even just a thread for trial days to discuss while watching - this would prevent the general thread from ballooning to 50k and would also make it easier for people who have general case questions to ask it in the general thread and not have to wait 10 pages of trial discussion, ask another time because it was missed, and then have it be answer 5 more trial discussion pages later to get an answer. Also same with people who want to see what's going on for the trial (specific day or not.) Justice 11 could post the journals in the forum, Berm her recaps (and the link to the blog still.)

I mean..long story short...the Jodi thread got out of hand for so many various reasons but the main reasons cited that a lot of long time users don't post in the thread anymore (and these posters can add a lot to that discussions):
    -Superfluous posts
    -Constant back and forth posts essentially chatting/agreeing, sayin the same thing and bloating the thread sometimes by pages upon pages
    -Off topic chatting
    -Constant repetition in the discussion
    -...or really a lack of discussion and only cheerleading of Juan, booing of Jodi/Def. Team to the point of near (or beyond at times) obsession
    -Serial posters
    -All of the random nicknames (is it really easier to type 6 letters instead of 4? I'm seriously asking, I don't get that)
    -The name calling of those involved in the case, peripherally or not (not including Jodi.)
    -There's more, I can't recall them all.

BUT...as we've all seen, experienced and been told: a 50k thread that's essentially a freight train going down hill with no breaks causes major issues for the site's servers and that's exactly what the first Jodi thread was and seems to be right on track to become, even if people stay on topic and don't get into a dick waving or slapping contest.

(Please note: I am not a MOD, Admin and otherwise have no authority what so ever at MDS. I am a noob here and have merely paid my dues for my shiny premium membership. I speak only from my own personal experience, and am only speaking because I was asked. )
    Last edited by Miller22; 03-31-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: edited because I fucked the hell out of my original post stats for the thread

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    I hate that thread so fucking hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    I hate that thread so fucking hard.
    Well yo mama....

Miller - just thought I'd mention - the new thread doesn't have 5K posts in it. Only 192 right now. Just to clarify.

I have yet to post in there. Probably won't until trial picks back up. But don't plan on posting there that much. It seems (so far) that things aren't getting crazy in there. as far as over-posting. There have already been a couple of posts that I would consider not necessary - the person could use reps or PMs for that purpose.
    I just hope that doesn't get out of hand again

Quote Originally Posted by M Joy View Post
    Miller - just thought I'd mention - the new thread doesn't have 5K posts in it. Only 192 right now. Just to clarify.

I have yet to post in there. Probably won't until trial picks back up. But don't plan on posting there that much. It seems (so far) that things aren't getting crazy in there. as far as over-posting. There have already been a couple of posts that I would consider not necessary - the person could use reps or PMs for that purpose.
    WTF! My cursor lied to my god damn it! .....ohhhhh...:blush: fuck, my bad no it didn't. I read views as posts.

Well, my apologies. Thank you for correcting M Joy. I have no problems with being corrected. I still think organizing threads is a smart way to go, but that's just me...and I'm an organization freak. I think it's a sickness.

The other great thing that's underused: Visitor Messages!

Well yo mama....
    We've literally discussed thousands of cases and there's never been a need to have a separate 'evidence' thread. Those fucking psychos never STFU.
    (said the guy with 80,000 posts)

Yea, I'm not posting cause I don't want it to come up in my subscribed.

Southern Undertaker Key West Digger's Avatar
    I stay connected to the thread in case there is a "clothing malfunction".

Quote Originally Posted by Key West Digger View Post
    I stay connected to the thread in case there is a "clothing malfunction".

We've literally discussed thousands of cases and there's never been a need to have a separate 'evidence' thread. Those fucking psychos never STFU.
    (said the guy with 80,000 posts)
    Don't get too excited, but I think I'm about to STFU. Classes start up again tomorrow. Taking Business Law. These are two of the quotes from Ratemyprofessor about my teacher:

"The hardest class ever. Did not see any help from the instructor. Tons of homework. No personal life while I was taking this class."

"Extremely arrogant. Loads on the homework and says don't complain about it because he doesn't care. Won't take a class from him again. Recommending anyone signing up his class rethink and drop the class. 21 pg syllabus. BC reads project not related to class. If you are taking this class online due to other commitments, don't, you won't have time."

Good bye cruel world!

Yea, I'm not posting cause I don't want it to come up in my subscribed.
    Don't you have to subscribe to the thread, not just post to it?

Don't get too excited, but I think I'm about to STFU. Classes start up again tomorrow. Taking Business Law. These are two of the quotes from Ratemyprofessor about my teacher:

"The hardest class ever. Did not see any help from the instructor. Tons of homework. No personal life while I was taking this class."

"Extremely arrogant. Loads on the homework and says don't complain about it because he doesn't care. Won't take a class from him again. Recommending anyone signing up his class rethink and drop the class. 21 pg syllabus. BC reads project not related to class. If you are taking this class online due to other commitments, don't, you won't have time."

Good bye cruel world!

Don't you have to subscribe to the thread, not just post to it?
    Nice.

And nah, posting subscribes you.

Nice.

I don't have any subscribed threads. I think its a setting you have to change. I don't have the auto-subscribe setting on here.

Nice.

I don't have any subscribed threads. I think its a setting you have to change. I don't have the auto-subscribe setting on here.
    Yeah, I think it must be because that doesn't happen to me.

Err, I don't think people aren't using the subforum wisely/not using the thread as chat. It's already at 8 pages in one day. And that's because they're mostly discussing interrogation tapes? Why not make a separate thread to discuss the interrogation tapes? [/SIZE]
    I wish we could have separate threads for different things, but MDS said no.
    "...Jeffrey Dahmer... actually confessed and accepted his punishment. Had real remorse for the sick things he did. It's pretty bad when Jeffrey Dahmer is a better person than you are." ~Justice11 (re: Jodi Arias)

What the fucking fuck?

What the fucking fuck?
    I usually just go to "What's New" at the top

Quote Originally Posted by zeebee View Post
    I...I don't understand the point of the subforum then?

I just went to peek in the thread and now it has it's own forum. I guess MDS changed his mind!
    "...Jeffrey Dahmer... actually confessed and accepted his punishment. Had real remorse for the sick things he did. It's pretty bad when Jeffrey Dahmer is a better person than you are." ~Justice11 (re: Jodi Arias)

I just went to peek in the thread and now it has it's own forum. I guess MDS changed his mind!
    Yeah....at least...I think?

I...I don't understand the point of the subforum then?
    I was away for a day and did not realize it has it's own forum now. My bad.

I was away for a day and did not realize it has it's own forum now. My bad.
    GAWD, how dare you! Having a life and shit ;)

I know, I'm so rude!

Ah crap. I get off the net for a few days and all hell breaks loose!!

mT- glad to see you are Bach. Sorry I wasn't here to help our in the shit storm. I love ya lots and would have helped if I was here!!

To all that stood up for gay rights, thanks!! I love you all too!!

I've missed you all!

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. - Mark Twain

Hey mT - just so you know, I will always play second fiddle to you!!

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. - Mark Twain

Thread Information