Page 401 of 420 FirstFirst ... 301 351 391 399 400 401 402 403 411 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,025 of 10500

Thread: Chit Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    RBW: I tried that toilet bowl cleaner you suggested (in the black bottle) and it totally worked on my shower! Thank you SO much!!! Nothing else had worked and I thought it would never come out...

Side note: my housekeeper was stoked when I told her, she had also tried everything she couldn't get them out either.
    Glad it worked!

It was genius born of necessity. I had tried everything the internet suggested for an abused tub, that wasn't really that old and shouldn't have looked that way, in a new rent house. I was cleaning the toilet and thought "if this will remove all this built up crud and iron from a commode, why wouldn't it work on a cast iron tub"? I was thinking I was going to have to resurface or replace it, and I didn't want to do either because they both are pains in the ass!

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Glad it worked!

It was genius born of necessity. I had tried everything the internet suggested for an abused tub, that wasn't really that old and shouldn't have looked that way, in a new rent house. I was cleaning the toilet and thought "if this will remove all this built up crud and iron from a commode, why wouldn't it work on a cast iron tub"? I was thinking I was going to have to resurface or replace it, and I didn't want to do either because they both are pains in the ass!
    I bought 2 bottles online weeks ago and they were just sitting there under my bathroom sink, wasn't motivated cuz I was thinking it probably wouldn't work. After my housekeeper came yesterday and I saw they were still there, I was like...why not? It said to let sit for 15 minutes so I poured it all over and went to watch TV and forgot about it so it ended up being more like 30 mins haha. Probably worked in my favor.

I am totally buying more and will only use this stuff from now on, thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I bought 2 bottles online weeks ago and they were just sitting there under my bathroom sink, wasn't motivated cuz I was thinking it probably wouldn't work. After my housekeeper came yesterday and I saw they were still there, I was like...why not? It said to let sit for 15 minutes so I poured it all over and went to watch TV and forgot about it so it ended up being more like 30 mins haha. Probably worked in my favor.

I am totally buying more and will only use this stuff from now on, thanks again!!
    RBW, bathtub saver extraordinaire! I'm gonna add that to my resume!

RBW, bathtub saver extraordinaire! I'm gonna add that to my resume!
    Yes! haha

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

When you drive up on a fatal accident scene, do you ever wonder if the person that died passed you on the road earlier? If you had been a few minutes sooner, you would've been a part of the accident? Etc.
    This past weekend, on the way to NC, we passed a wrecked car in the median. My husband said whoever was driving definitely didn't survive, and if by some miracle they did, they're very lucky. I looked up the accident later and the driver crossed into the median, struck a tree, and the car burned. The driver didn't survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

When you drive up on a fatal accident scene, do you ever wonder if the person that died passed you on the road earlier? If you had been a few minutes sooner, you would've been a part of the accident? Etc.
    We were driving somewhere this weekend but I saw something that I wanted to get a picture of so I had my husband turn around. We took maybe 2 minutes, and when we turned around there wasn't anything blocking us to go farther. Going back through the way we were before turning around we came up on a bad accident. Luckily something caught my eye or we may have been in it and I'm very thankful for that giant cherry pie statue thing lol (it was a world record thing going towards Traverse City, Michigan...not some weird random cherry pie thing in the middle of nowhere like I thought it was)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

My fear of open water and avoidance of anything that could be considered "sporty and physical" is no secret. But sometimes I wish I wasn't such a wuss, because this looks really fun to me. It's like an IRL log flume at Six Flags!

You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Wait, you fear open water but were going to go on a cruise??? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Wait, you fear open water but were going to go on a cruise??? Or am I thinking of someone else?
    Haha, no, that's her. I'm just the other way around. I will dive, kayak, jetski, waterski, etc in just about any body of water, but it took me a long time to talk myself into going on a cruise. KT is the queen of the cruises though.

No, that's me. I'm a walking dichotomy. I fear being in open water (physically) because I can't swim (and I'm afraid of swamp monsters). I also fear canoes/kayaks/boats et al, because I don't think they are big enough to defend against the larger variety swamp monsters, and I don't trust them not to sink/flip/catch fire/etc. In a contradiction I can neither explain nor fathom, I am fascinated by big ships - and cruise ships are just big floating cities. It's not like I don't think about it, it's just a different kind of fear. It doesn't overwhelm me and paralyze me. A lifelong interest in ships/shipping (Navy and Merchant Marine family!) gives me an appreciation for how strong and powerful ships are. They move the world, and they can take a lickin' and keep on tickin.' Little boats, not so much.

We do trans-Atlantic crossings 3-4x a year and have been in some pretty bad storms. In June 2018 our ship conducted a rescue at sea during a storm I thought was going to rip the ship apart (it's on YouTube). As we headed into the storm, I lay in bed that night thinking, "Well, this is how it's going to end for us. Laying in bed, holding hands." As terrified as I was, I felt strangely comforted that we'd die together. We usually book the QM2 (an ocean-liner) vs a cruise ship when we're crossing the North Atlantic - there is a world of difference in how she handles rough seas. However.... if Norwegian has a 13-day crossing from Florida to Barcelona for $599 - yeah, NCL it is. I'm more frugal than I am afeared of big ships.

Haha, no, that's her. I'm just the other way around. I will dive, kayak, jetski, waterski, etc in just about any body of water, but it took me a long time to talk myself into going on a cruise. KT is the queen of the cruises though.
    I'm afraid it's true - but I'm not THAT kind of Cruise Queen. I don't cruise for the joy of cruising, nor do I own a single article of clothing with my favorite cruise line on it. We do it strictly to get from Point A (US) to Point B (Europe) and back again. We both hate flying, and after decades of frequent flying for work, we just aren't doing it anymore. An 8 or 9 hour flight is uncomfortable and I arrive tired, cranky, and miserable - plus I'm jet lagged for days. On a 7- to 14-day cruise I get fed, watered, and pampered around the clock, I get to see a few sites along the way, meet some interesting people, and arrive rested and relaxed with no jet lag!

We don't take advantage of most of the onboard activities, which makes us a bit of a mystery to our table mates, who discuss the days events with great enthusiasm. When we do a trans-Atlantic migration, we've just spent two weeks dealing with the logistics of closing down a home for the season. We're tired and we're resting up for another week or so of dealing with the logistics of opening a home for the season. So our cruise itinerary looks something like this:

-Wake up
    -Breakfast in Buffet
    -Nap in Cabin
    -Lunch in Buffet or Dining Room or Both
    -Nap in Cabin
    -Dinner in Dining Room
    -Bedtime

I don't know, something about the salt air and the gentle waves puts me to sleep.

We break up the naps with lots of reading, talking, and an occasional drink or lecture if it's a particularly interesting subject (true crime) - but we're not there for wet t-shirt contests on the Lido Deck, or to learn ballroom dancing or water painting. We're just two people, in-transit, and caught between two worlds for a week or so. It's a nice transition. Cunard gives us free wifi, but we unplug while we're at sea. I check messages twice a day (for emergencies) and keep my phone off the rest of the time. It's wonderful, a really relaxing and civilized way to travel (harp music at dinner!).

If you have the time to do it (min 7 days), I highly recommend it. It is not as expensive as people think it is, maybe $200-$300 more than an airline ticket and no baggage limit. If it fits in your cabin, you can bring it with you. An exhausting 14 hour day of running thru airports and being shoe-horned into a seat for 8 hours? Or a relaxing 7 day All-You-Can-Eat Vacation at Sea? It's an easy choice for me.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 08-27-2020 at 06:50 PM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    No, that's me. I'm a walking dichotomy. I fear being in open water (physically) because I can't swim (and I'm afraid of swamp monsters). I also fear canoes/kayaks/boats et al, because I don't think they are big enough to defend against the larger variety swamp monsters, and I don't trust them not to sink/flip/catch fire/etc. In a contradiction I can neither explain nor fathom, I am fascinated by big ships - and cruise ships are just big floating cities. It's not like I don't think about it, it's just a different kind of fear. It doesn't overwhelm me and paralyze me. A lifelong interest in ships/shipping (Navy and Merchant Marine family!) gives me an appreciation for how strong and powerful ships are. They move the world, and they can take a lickin' and keep on tickin.' Little boats, not so much.

We do trans-Atlantic crossings 3-4x a year and have been in some pretty bad storms. In June 2018 our ship conducted a rescue at sea during a storm I thought was going to rip the ship apart (it's on YouTube). As we headed into the storm, I lay in bed that night thinking, "Well, this is how it's going to end for us. Laying in bed, holding hands." As terrified as I was, I felt strangely comforted that we'd die together. We usually book the QM2 (an ocean-liner) vs a cruise ship when we're crossing the North Atlantic - there is a world of difference in how she handles rough seas. However.... if Norwegian has a 13-day crossing from Florida to Barcelona for $599 - yeah, NCL it is. I'm more frugal than I am afeared of big ships.

I'm afraid it's true - but I'm not THAT kind of Cruise Queen. I don't cruise for the joy of cruising, nor do I own a single article of clothing with my favorite cruise line on it. We do it strictly to get from Point A (US) to Point B (Europe) and back again. We both hate flying, and after decades of frequent flying for work, we just aren't doing it anymore. An 8 or 9 hour flight is uncomfortable and I arrive tired, cranky, and miserable - plus I'm jet lagged for days. On a 7- to 14-day cruise I get fed, watered, and pampered around the clock, I get to see a few sites along the way, meet some interesting people, and arrive rested and relaxed with no jet lag!

We don't take advantage of most of the onboard activities, which makes us a bit of a mystery to our table mates, who discuss the days events with great enthusiasm. When we do a trans-Atlantic migration, we've just spent two weeks dealing with the logistics of closing down a home for the season. We're tired and we're resting up for another week or so of dealing with the logistics of opening a home for the season. So our cruise itinerary looks something like this:

-Wake up
    -Breakfast in Buffet
    -Nap in Cabin
    -Lunch in Buffet or Dining Room or Both
    -Nap in Cabin
    -Dinner in Dining Room
    -Bedtime

I don't know, something about the salt air and the gentle waves puts me to sleep.

We break up the naps with lots of reading, talking, and an occasional drink or lecture if it's a particularly interesting subject (true crime) - but we're not there for wet t-shirt contests on the Lido Deck, or to learn ballroom dancing or water painting. We're just two people, in-transit, and caught between two worlds for a week or so. It's a nice transition. Cunard gives us free wifi, but we unplug while we're at sea. I check messages twice a day (for emergencies) and keep my phone off the rest of the time. It's wonderful, a really relaxing and civilized way to travel (harp music at dinner!).

If you have the time to do it (min 7 days), I highly recommend it. It is not as expensive as people think it is, maybe $200-$300 more than an airline ticket and no baggage limit. If it fits in your cabin, you can bring it with you. An exhausting 14 hour day of running thru airports and being shoe-horned into a seat for 8 hours? Or a relaxing 7 day All-You-Can-Eat Vacation at Sea? It's an easy choice for me.
    Sounds so ... civilized. My dream has always been to take train trips on some of the classic lines for much the same reason. Comfy seats, scenery, and no responsibility except getting to the depot on time. If we had the wherewithal to travel the world, ship and train would be the way I'd do it.

We done a few of the river boat cruises in Louisiana. I'd love to do some of the longer trips, but they ARE expensive. https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/c...8IgQ&gclsrc=ds
    Last edited by puzzld; 08-27-2020 at 09:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

You're a trip, KT!

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Sounds so ... civilized. My dream has always been to take train trips on some of the classic lines for much the same reason. Comfy seats, scenery, and no responsibility except getting to the depot on time. If we had the wherewithal to travel the world, ship and train would be the way I'd do it.
    It is very civilized. Everybody is leisurely strolling around, smiling and chatting - and it's all set to a soundtrack of piano, violins, and harps. Picture the Titanic without the iceberg. Cunard still has table assignments and we've been incredibly fortunate in that lottery. We've met some of the most fascinating people and keep in touch with many of them. I was chatting with a lovely lady sitting next to me in the Pub one afternoon. We were talking about motherhood and careers and I asked her what she did for a living. I was a little embarrassed to learn it was this woman: Sorry the pic is so big...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0408309/?ref_=nmmi_mi_nm

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    We done a few of the river boat cruises in Louisiana. I'd love to do some of the longer trips, but they ARE expensive.

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/c...8IgQ&gclsrc=ds
    Too expensive for my cheap arse, sadly. I'd love to do Viking's 15-day St. Paul-NOLA Mississippi River cruise, but it's $11,000/person! Depending on the time of year, we pay between $600-$1200/person for a trans-Atlantic cruise; the two of us could cross the ocean NINE times for the price of ONE Mississippi River cruise. Much to my husband's dismay, my Scottish blood won't allow me to look at it any other way.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 08-28-2020 at 08:47 AM.

You're a trip, KT!
    My fears and phobias are logical and well thought out.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    It is very civilized. Everybody is leisurely strolling around, smiling and chatting - and it's all set to a soundtrack of piano, violins, and harps. Picture the Titanic without the iceberg. Cunard still has table assignments and we've been incredibly fortunate in that lottery. We've met some of the most fascinating people and keep in touch with many of them. I was chatting with a lovely lady sitting next to me in the Pub one afternoon. We were talking about motherhood and careers and I asked her what she did for a living. I was a little embarrassed to learn it was this woman: Sorry the pic is so big...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0408309/?ref_=nmmi_mi_nm

Too expensive for my cheap arse, sadly. I'd love to do Viking's 15-day St. Paul-NOLA Mississippi River cruise, but it's $11,000/person! Depending on the time of year, we pay between $600-$1200/person for a trans-Atlantic cruise; the two of us could cross the ocean NINE times for the price of ONE Mississippi River cruise. Much to my husband's dismay, my Scottish blood won't allow me to look at it any other way.
    Exactly. For that price, I'd want it to include well, I don't know what. There are some cheaper options... but still pricey. When I win the lottery. And, uh, who is that?
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I could never do a cruise. I get seasick. People have told me, you don't even feel like you're moving on a cruise ship since it's so big, but I don't care. I'm like the Princess and the Pea. I could feel a ripple and throw up!
    I went on a snorkeling trip in Key West once. I was the reason people got to see fishes swimming along the boat. Think about it.
    If I have to take Dramamine, I don't want to go.

I could never do a cruise. I get seasick. People have told me, you don't even feel like you're moving on a cruise ship since it's so big, but I don't care. I'm like the Princess and the Pea. I could feel a ripple and throw up!
    I went on a snorkeling trip in Key West once. I was the reason people got to see fishes swimming along the boat. Think about it.
    If I have to take Dramamine, I don't want to go.
    People told me the same thing. I got seasick and I was on the Royal Princess, one of the really big cruise ships. It wasn't awful except the night we encountered a storm down by Honduras, but I could definitely feel the movement and had to concentrate on my breathing and trying to think about other things and focusing on the horizon to avoid feeling seasick. I like the idea of cruises, but I've tried it twice now and I don't think it's for me....although I would cruise the Nile if I got the chance.

People told me the same thing. I got seasick and I was on the Royal Princess, one of the really big cruise ships. It wasn't awful except the night we encountered a storm down by Honduras, but I could definitely feel the movement and had to concentrate on my breathing and trying to think about other things and focusing on the horizon to avoid feeling seasick. I like the idea of cruises, but I've tried it twice now and I don't think it's for me....although I would cruise the Nile if I got the chance.
    I think I'm okayish on ferries. I took a ferry to Cumberland Island and that wasn't bad at all.
    But being stuck on a boat, out in the middle of the ocean, the waves rocking the boat, back and forth, back and forth...

So I didnt know where to put this...Im sitting in my family room and i see my storm door open (i have a window at the top of my door) and the door knob was turn a couple times. Then the storm door closed and opened again. I waited a couple minutes to see if anything was dropped off and there was nothing.

I signed up for that Nextdoor site and asked if anyone experienced something similiar.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    So I didnt know where to put this...Im sitting in my family room and i see my storm door open (i have a window at the top of my door) and the door knob was turn a couple times. Then the storm door closed and opened again. I waited a couple minutes to see if anything was dropped off and there was nothing.

I signed up for that Nextdoor site and asked if anyone experienced something similiar.
    That's scary. Do you have a camera? If not, you should invest in one. We recently got one and it has brought us so much peace of mind. We went with "Blink". It's easy to install and affordable. We can even talk to whoever is at the door through it and it records clips when it detects motion. It runs on WiFi and is cheaper than "Ring". Also, no monthly fees or having to be signed up with any service. It's self contained with an app on your phone.

ETA: We got the two cameras and hub. It's wireless too so easy to install:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blink-x...?skuId=6344254
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 09-30-2020 at 09:57 AM.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

That's scary. Do you have a camera? If not, you should invest in one. We recently got one and it has brought us so much peace of mind. We went with "Blink". It's easy to install and affordable. We can even talk to whoever is at the door through it and it records clips when it detects motion. It runs on WiFi and is cheaper than "Ring". Also, no monthly fees or having to be signed up with any service. It's self contained with an app on your phone.

ETA: We got the two cameras and hub. It's wireless too so easy to install:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blink-x...?skuId=6344254
    Thank you so much I will definately check it out. Cameras are a good idea.

I thought it was my husband coming home from work so I didn't panic initially. When I realized it wasn't him I had an "oh shit" moment. It's pretty ballsy to try to get into someone's house in the middle of the afternoon. I'm thinking either they were high or a sociopath and didn't give a fuck.

I checked my post in that NextDoor app and someone who lives a couple streets over had someone try to kick open their door at 1 am.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Thank you so much I will definately check it out. Cameras are a good idea.

I thought it was my husband coming home from work so I didn't panic initially. When I realized it wasn't him I had an "oh shit" moment. It's pretty ballsy to try to get into someone's house in the middle of the afternoon. I'm thinking either they were high or a sociopath and didn't give a fuck.

I checked my post in that NextDoor app and someone who lives a couple streets over had someone try to kick open their door at 1 am.
    Oh man, that's really scary! I second BB73's suggestion about the cameras. We got Arlo back when we had the scary neighbors from hell that were threatening to shoot us. I really like them, but I am not sure how they compare in terms of cost. They were super simple to put up. Do you live in an area where you can call the PD and have them do more occasional drive-bys for a few days?

Oh man, that's really scary! I second BB73's suggestion about the cameras. We got Arlo back when we had the scary neighbors from hell that were threatening to shoot us. I really like them, but I am not sure how they compare in terms of cost. They were super simple to put up. Do you live in an area where you can call the PD and have them do more occasional drive-bys for a few days?
    I have a friend whose husband is a cop. I'm going to ask her about that.

I hope whoever it was doesn't come back! Keep us updated.

I just signed my husband up for some hoarding Facebook groups.
    He only seems to listen to advice if it's on his newsfeed.

Sup bitches? Just kidding miss you all!

Thread Information