Thread: Richard Manning (62) shot Norman Gallman (39) to death in what police are calling a 'road rage incident'.

Richard Manning (62) shot Norman Gallman (39) to death in what police are calling a 'road rage incident'.

This is the 'big news' going on in my town right now.

Chattanooga Police are still piecing together what they call a "road rage" shooting, that left one man dead.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/24255397...in-chattanooga

Chattanooga Police are still piecing together what they call a "road rage" shooting, that left one man dead.

Sixty-two-year-old Richard Manning is facing charges of criminal homicide and aggravated assault. He is sitting behind bars on a $300,000 bond. Manning is accused of shooting and killing 39-year-old Norman Alex Gallman at the intersection of South Moore Road and North Terrace Road.

According to an affidavit obtained by Channel 3, a woman witnessed the shooting. As she approached the intersection, she told police Gallman got out of his vehicle and that Manning shot him as he approached the driver side door. Gallman then "stumbled back to his gray SUV."

Moments later, police caught up with Manning, taking him into custody. He was in another vehicle. Inside, investigators found "a .40 caliber handgun inside of a bag."

"Yeah, I think the charges are probably substantial," says Robert Higginbotham, Manning's neighbor.

Higginbotham says he has known Manning for 17 years.

"He always seemed to be helpful," says Higginbotham.

Workers at a local shooting range tell Channel 3 Manning worked as a certified firearms instructor, training security guards. They say he has a range of health problems and believe he must have been threatened to pull the trigger. But Higginbotham is not so sure.

"Like the police say, like you hear all the time, if you are confronted with something like that, just kind of turn your head and go on. Let the guy get it out of his system."

As for Gallman, he leaves behind a wife and two young children. He was a personal trainer at Brainerd Crossroads. His co-workers say the sudden loss is hard to take. They have started taking donations to help Gallman's family pay for his funeral.

"Oh, I imagine they're really heartbroke. Especially this time of year. Just a week away from Christmas. My goodness," says Higginbotham.

Gallman's wife was in the car with him during the shooting. She was unharmed. Manning is due in court December 23rd.

Oy, this so sad and tragic. My heart goes out to both families.

Before you know it the state will mandate a mental health evaluation before getting drivers license. JMO

Godspeed Norman

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Robert worked as a shooting instructor...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...ng-instructor/

Richard Manning, the 62-year-old man accused of killing Norman Gallman in the midst of a road rage dispute Tuesday, is a former Hamilton County sheriff's officer, an instructor of armed guards at a Chattanooga shooting range and a cancer patient.

Manning is accused of firing one fatal shot at Gallman on Tuesday morning at the Moore Road and North Terrace intersection near East Ridge after he pulled up behind Gallman at a stoplight.

According to police, another motorist saw the driver of a bronze Chevrolet Impala pull up directly behind Gallman at a stop light. The witness told police that Gallman got out of his Honda CR-V and walked back to the Impala's driver-side door. A shot was fired.

Gallman reportedly stumbled back to his SUV and "slumped over the steering wheel." A woman in the car was uninjured.

The Impala then reportedly drove around Gallman's SUV and headed south on Moore Road into East Ridge. A witness gave police a license plate number, which was tracked back to 706 S. Lovell Ave. in East Ridge -- Manning's home.

Police surrounded the house but it was empty. At 11:30 a.m., Manning was stopped by police at 4906 Maryland Ave., driving a maroon Dodge Ram pickup. Police say Manning identified himself and surrendered without incident.

Inside the truck, police found a .40-caliber handgun tucked in a bag in the front seat. In May, Manning reported to East Ridge police that a .40-caliber handgun had been stolen out of his vehicle.

Gallman's Ringgold, Ga., neighborhood learned about the shooting Tuesday evening.

On Wednesday, Richard Gargin, a neighbor of Gallman's, identified Anna Caro -- Gallman's passenger Tuesday morning -- as Gallman's wife, not girlfriend.

Gargin said the couple's neighbors and friends are trying to process what happened and figure out what's next -- whether it's knocking at Caro's door, putting together benefit events, raising money or buying gifts for the couple's kids.

The shooting has shocked the close-knit community, he said.

"I just pulled into my driveway, early from work, so I can hug my kids," Gargin said Wednesday.

Whatever led up to Gallman's death Tuesday, Caro saw it all. The lead-up to an apparent dispute between Gallman and Manning. A fatal gunshot. Police trying to administer CPR on Gallman.

She has been unavailable for comment.

Manning was a corrections officer with the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office between 1977 and 1984. He is also a certified firearms instructor in Chattanooga.

Amy Gregory, co-owner of The Shooter's Depot, said Manning has been instructing and qualifying future security officers and armed guards for years at the Shallowford Road facility, which is five miles from Manning's home.

Gregory said Manning recently has been missing work because of health problems. He has been diagnosed with cancer, she said, and has been in poor health for a while, even needing oxygen at times. She also said Manning recently had surgery to have a tumor removed.

"He's 62, but if you saw him you would think he was well into his 70s or 80s," she said.

Gregory said Manning can "barely walk" and has trouble going from his car to the door at the shooting range. And she said he hasn't actually fired a gun at the facility in a while.

"I haven't seen Rick shoot in months," she said.

That fragility may have produced fear in a confrontation, Gregory said. Even so, she questioned why Manning -- a former lawman himself -- wouldn't have just called the police when Gallman stepped out of his SUV and approached Manning's car.

"If I had to guess -- the way I know Rick -- he felt his life was threatened," Gregory said.

"It's a horrible situation all the way around," she said. But she said she doesn't believe a gun is the culprit.

"I remain firm in my stance that there is no bad gun," she said. "A gun is just a tool."

i hate it when responsible gun owners let their guns get stolen and then they buy new guns and kill people with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

It will be interesting to learn what went on that led to this confrontation. The shooter had to fear he was in danger before stopping at the traffic signal as he had his gun out and was prepared to defend himself. Unfortunately, the victim's girlfriend will likely not be forthcoming with truthful information if it would portray the victim in a bad way.
    My avatar? My daughter drew a picture of me.

Why the hell would you walk up to a stranger in their car? Never get out of your car. That was stupid on Norman's part.

"If I had to guess -- the way I know Rick -- he felt his life was threatened," Gregory said.

"It's a horrible situation all the way around," she said. But she said she doesn't believe a gun is the culprit.

"I remain firm in my stance that there is no bad gun," she said. "A gun is just a tool
    ."
    BBM

So the gun had nothing to do with this man's death? Manning owned the gun, he put bullets in gun and he held the gun in his hand, aimed and fired.

A gun is just a tool? Yes it is a tool...for MURDER.

Give me a fuckin break and don't go all Charlton Heston on me.

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Lawyer says client too sick for jail; victim remembered at funeral home near site of shooting

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/24279512...te-of-shooting

Friday brought new twists in the apparent road-rage slaying of 39-year-old Norman Alex Gallman.

Gallman's friends and family attended funeral services for the Ringgold, Ga., man only feet from the spot where he was fatally shot around 9 a.m. Tuesday.

At the same time, an attorney tried to secure a "significantly reduced" bond for the accused shooter, Richard Manning, saying the 62-year-old might not live until Monday in his current health.

Richard Manning's family said he could be near death.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/24288515...urt-appearance

UPDATE: Judge Sell rules the $350,000 bond for Richard Manning is reasonable, and has said that Manning's family may now visit him at Erlanger

Richard Manning, the man charged with criminal homicide in a shooting last week, has been hospitalized since Friday and missed his first court appearance Monday.

Manning's son spoke to Judge Christine Sell Monday morning about his hospitalized father, saying "He's a good man and has always been law-abiding."

PREVIOUS STORY | Man charged in apparent road rage shooting

Sheriff Hammond says Richard Manning is currently in "serious condition" at Erlanger. He is under the watch of an armed guard.

"It's very expensive for us to have any prisoner at a hospital. It is our obligation to keep him in custody." said Hamilton County Sheriff Jim Hammond.

Manning's brother told the court Richard has a history of health problems including multiple strokes and at least two heart attacks.

Judge Sells heard both sides Monday with testimony from the Manning family and the victim's fiance.

"I ask prayers for Richard's family and the family of this young man and that justice will be done," said Father Nathan Brooks.

Father Nathan Brooks is Manning's best friend of 30 years said he's praying for justice.

But does justice have a chance?

Manning's family said he could be near death.

"Mr. Manning's at Erlanger and I'd be surprised if he left the hospital so they can at least visit with him. They haven't seen him since Thursday," said Llyod Levitt.

Attorney Llyod Levitt called Monday's hearing an overall win for the Manning family.

A preliminary hearing is set for January 28.

BREAKING: Suspect in apparent road rage killing has passed away. Richard Manning was being guarded at the hospital, unable to appear in court since being accused in the shooting death of Norman Gallman.

http://www.newschannel9.com/news/top...ies-9717.shtml

On the corner of Bumfuk and You got a purdy mouth
    What I find odd is that he was a firearms instructor for armed guards but only shot once. They always taught us to double tap. I would think someone that did that for a living all those years would have double-tapped purely from habit. Hope I never have to find out what I'd do.

Thread Information