"DeKalb police charge sister in death of 2-year-old girl
Nov 20, 2012 4:43 p.m.

DeKalb County police say they have charged a 13-year-old sister in the murder of 2-year-old Sasha Lamaya Ray on Tuesday. Ray's body was found behind her home on Monday.

Hours after family members found the body of the body of the child outside the family's home, the worst fears of family members were confirmed when police charged the child's 13-year-old sister, Tyasia Jackson, with murder. She has been charged as an adult.

"At this point, our detectives believe the cause of death was multiple stab wounds to the chest of the 2-year-old. They believe the 13-year-old attacked the child inside the home and then carried the body outside where it was discovered by her father," said Mekka Parrish of DeKalb County police.

Police say the 13-year-old was babysitting Sasha and several other siblings when the teen allegedly stabbed the child.

"The only indication that they have is that the 13-year-old was upset prior to the attack on the 2-year-old. What she was upset about has not been determined. They're still working on how long the children were in the care of the 13-year-old prior to the family's arrival," said Parrish.

Police say they believe the two girls are half-sisters, having the same mother but different fathers.

As police continue to investigate, the family continues to mourn the loss of a toddler who just celebrated her second birthday.

"I know my daughter's gone to heaven and I still need to do what I need to do to make it to where she is because she's in a better place than I am," said the child's father, Shelton Latroy Ray.

Shortly after the incident on Monday, Shelton Ray told reporters he would help the 13-year-old in spite of the charges against her and as he continues to mourn the loss of her half-sister.

"If I could say anything to Tyasia, all I would say is Tyasia , what you did is wrong and they're going to be some consequences you have to face and you're going to have to face them. We're going to help you along the way while you're facing those consequences," said Shelton Ray.

The teen was brought before a judge on Tuesday and remains jailed."

http://wap.myfoxatlanta.com/w/main/story/78695627/