Thread: Florida Man Upset Over Obama Win May Have Committed Suicide

Florida Man Upset Over Obama Win May Have Committed Suicide

Florida Man Upset Over Obama Win May Have Committed Suicide

A Florida tanning salon owner reportedly upset by President Barack Obama's reelection apparently committed suicide after scrawling "F*** Obama" across his will.

The 64-year-old owner of a Tropical Tan salon in Key West, Fla., was "very upset about the election results," his partner Michael Cossey told police Officer Anna Dykes, according to the Keynoter. Prior to his death, the owner was reportedly "very stressed about his business." He told Cossey, "If Barack gets re-elected, I'm not going to be around."

The man was found dead in his bedroom on Nov. 8, according to the Keynoter. Empty prescription bottles were also found, one of which was Seroquel -- a drug used to treat bipolar disorder, depression and schizophrenia.

Election season can be filled with hyperbole, but certain statements may be indicative of a very non-political issue. The National Institute of Health cautions that suicide attempts and threats are a serious matter: "Always take suicide attempts and threats seriously ... The person needs mental health care right away. Do not dismiss the person as just trying to get attention." People in the U.S. who need help can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

A copy of the man's living will was found on his bathroom sink, the Key West Citizen reports. The will contained handwriting that read, "Do not revive! F*** Obama!"

Cossey said he believes his partner may have ingested pills and alcohol, but the cause of death is pending an autopsy by the medical examiner. According to the Key West Citizen, Cossey said his partner was dealing with a struggling business.

As Raw Story notes, the Key West salon may have been hit with the 10 percent excise tax, enacted under Obama's Affordable Care Act in 2010.

"Obviously people don't really kill themselves over adverse political outcomes," Slate's Matthew Yglesias wrote in reference to the reported suicide. "But it should be said that owners of tanning salons have a uniquely legitimate beef with the Affordable Care Act."

Last week Obama beat GOP nominee Mitt Romney for a second term in the White House, winning with 332 electoral votes to 206. The Democratic incumbent won the swing state of Florida by more than 73,000 votes.

Post-election fury spread in Mississippi, where University of Mississippi students rioted, as well as in Texas, where more than 81,000 people have signed a petition to secede from the Union.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2130153.html

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Good.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

By GAWD he showed the president didn't he...bwwhaaaa. Keep it coming...we will get that dumb herd culled yet!

I was talking to my MIL about this the other day. Our view on this is that if he really was unstable enough to kill himself over who won the election, then good riddance. I feel for his family and those that loved him though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Good.
    lol i came in here to check if you had said good yet. i actually chuckled out loud when i saw it was all you wrote.

i agree. i mean at least he didnt take anyone else out with him.

I'm sure all of his problems were directly related to who was president, and nothing to do with his sanity.

Thread Information