Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Sarah Cafferkey (22) was murdered and an investigation is ongoing

[QUOTE=snowfallsoon;3257980]
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post

I think I would die if my mom got FB. I don't have any relatives on mine.
    It sucks. Believe me. I've thought about creating another account for friends only.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    You are the worst kind of Facebooker.
    This is a lie. You're doing great!
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Says the other worst Facebooker.

Says the other worst Facebooker.
    THAT'S WHAT IT'S FOR!

And I won't be called that when people post baby vomit, and others vaguebook about their exes, or who knows really? Cause they never say!

Back in the day, it was for job and social networking, and actually witty one-liners. Sigh. I'm so nostalgic.

Back in the day, it was for job and social networking, and actually witty one-liners. Sigh. I'm so nostalgic.
    Now you know how I feel about MySpace.

What's this thread about anyway?

No idea. Some murdered girl. If I just put 'RIP Sarah' it'll make it fine to derail a thread. According to other threads.

RIP Ms. Cafferkey

(I play by my own rules. I'm a rebel, Dottie, a loner)

Super long article so I will just post a bit of it.

A HAUNTING message was one of the last comments Sarah Cafferkey made to her mum, Noelle Dickson, in the weeks before she died.

''If anything happens, Ali knows where he is and where he lives.''

Ali was Sarah's best friend. And ?he? was Steven James Hunter, a convicted killer who would take Sarah?s life in much the same way he?d done to another bright young girl two decades earlier.

Bubbly Sarah met an awful end, struck with a heavy object and stabbed about the face and neck.

The pretty 22 year-old knew Hunter through her disgruntled ex-boyfriend Chris Stewart, and unwittingly became involved in a petrifying tryst.

In her final hours, Sarah had gone to Stewart to reunite with him despite having had an argument over Facebook about their mutual friend, Hunter.

The couple had been through a bitter break-up that, according to Sarah?s mum, culminated with him climbing onto the roof of the townhouse where she and Sarah lived. As a result he was banned from the house.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-news...#ixzz2OmWrPtOm

I wonder who told everyone that they were reunited, because from what I remember, Chris was a creepy attention whore who said horrible, psychotic, sick things about her until she died and then she was his one true love.

CONVICTED killer Steven James Hunter has formally pleaded guilty to murdering Sarah Cafferkey.

Hunter appeared briefly at the Supreme Court this morning where he entered a formal plea to one charge of murder.

Dressed in prison greens, Hunter was flanked by two security guards and replied "guilty" when asked how he pleaded.

Hunter fatally stabbed the 22-year-old with repeated blows at his Bacchus Marsh address on November 10.

A suspected ice dealer, Hunter had argued with Ms Cafferkey before hitting her with a blunt instrument, possibly a dumbbell, and then repeatedly stabbing her.

Post mortem results revealed Ms Cafferkey had been stabbed 19 times to the head, chest and abdomen.

After stabbing Ms Cafferkey, Hunter moved her body to Point Cook, and dumped it in a wheelie bin.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...#ixzz2Q7dGexXW

Families of murder victims to sue State Government

MURDER victim Sarah Cafferkey's family will launch an unprecedented legal assault against the State Government over criminals who kill while out on parole.

Other victims' families have been invited to join a class action, amid claims danger signs were ignored as potential murderers roamed the streets.

The campaign includes a push to get the Government to register "high-risk offenders" on a public internet site.

In a bid to launch its case, the Cafferkey family has reached out to Erin Brockovich, made famous in the movie about her life, who organised a meeting with her firm Shine Lawyers this week.

Ms Cafferkey was stabbed to death by career criminal and convicted killer Steven James Hunter, who murdered the 22-year-old in November last year, nine days after his parole ended.

The Sunday Herald Sun understands Hunter, who pleaded guilty to murder on Thursday, was suspected of operating an illicit drug trafficking network while on parole, missed drug-testing appointments as part of his parole requirements and spoke of committing gruesome acts of violence.

Ms Cafferkey's mother, Noelle Dickson, said the corrections system failed to protect her daughter.

"Their failure to act on red flags raised with Corrections Victoria about Steven Hunter may have cost my daughter her life," she said.

Sources have claimed parole officers have been warned they face instant dismissal and possible criminal prosecution if they speak out about failures regarding breaches by parolees, some who have gone on to murder.

There has also been widely held concern within the justice system about young parole officers being assigned serious offenders who manipulate them.

Victoria Police has investigated 12 murders since 2008 that have been committed by parolees across the state. Some had not been returned to jail after breaching parole conditions.

Sandra Betts, the mother of murder victim Raechel Betts, who was slain by triple-murderer John Leslie Coombes, said there was a systemic failure to dig deep enough into a serious offender's history during evaluations before their release into the community.

Ms Betts is advocating higher standards of risk assessment and believes an ''active'' taskforce is required to investigate serious offenders released on parole.

"For parolees released after serious violence, aggressive rapes and murder, there ought to be a taskforce that checks on them, not just some parole officer behind a desk. There has to be this idea of risk assessment," she said.

In their claim, they will argue the actions of the parolees and the dangers they posed to the community were foreseeable.

"We believe evidence will demonstrate that relevant members of Corrections Victoria failed to discharge their respective common law duties of care based on the legal duty imposed upon them," Ms Dickson said.

Several law firms have baulked at taking on the case because of costs, despite believing they have a basis for a claim against likely respondents Corrections Victoria and the Adult Parole Board.

Any class action would challenge the state under the Wrongs Act.

The basis of any writ would claim the state and its organisations failed to take "reasonable care to ensure the safety of the community".

In a draft seen by the Sunday Herald Sun it states that "omissions" within the state's justice departments are to be the foundation of the state's liability.

"We also believe that perhaps relevant members of the parole board are failing to discharge their respective common law duties of care when it comes to the release of 'dangerous persons' into the community," it said.

"It's quite clear the parole board has been placed under increased pressure by human rights law and appears to be paying more attention to the rights of the criminal than the public."

The mooted action has similarities with a damages claim filed by Carl Williams' family in 2012 over his murder in Barwon Prison.

Filed on behalf of Williams' daughter Dhakota, the Williams are suing the State Government for $1 million.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...-1226619881506

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-1...r-life/4879782

The Victorian Supreme Court has heard that a convicted killer told police he wanted to be locked up until he died for the murder of Sarah Cafferkey.

Steven James Hunter, 47, has pleaded guilty to killing Ms Cafferkey, 22, in a frenzied stabbing in November 2012.

Hunter has a long and violent criminal history. He served 13 years in prison for murdering a work colleague who rejected his sexual advances.

He had just finished his parole period before killing Ms Cafferkey.

Her mother, Noelle Dickson, sat in court for the plea hearing embracing a photo of her daughter as the details of her murder were laid out.

Key points

Steven James Hunter, 47, told police he wanted to be locked up forever over the killing
    A convicted murderer, he had just finished his parole period when he stabbed Ms Cafferkey in November 2012.
    Hunter "snapped" and hit her with a hammer but said he does not know why.
    Ms Cafferkey's father said justice had 'failed' his daughter
    The court heard Hunter and Cafferkey had a friendship based on partying and drug use.

He saw himself as a father figure.

On the night she died, the pair had fought after Ms Cafferkey believed Hunter had called her a junkie.

The prosecution said Hunter "snapped" and hit her with a hammer but he does not remember stabbing her or why he did it.

The court heard what followed was an elaborate ruse of text messages to Ms Cafferkey's phone and other friends to try and create a cover story.

In the meantime, Hunter went to Bunnings bought 20 litres of hydrochloric acid, three bags of cement and other items to conceal her body.

Nine days after the murder, Ms Cafferkey's body was found in a wheelie bin of cement at a house in Point Cook where Hunter lived.

The court heard Hunter told a police interview that he wanted to be "locked up for forever".

He told police they had been friends and got along well and again asked police to lock him up till he dies.

Psychologist James Ogloff told the court that Hunter showed aggressive and disturbed behaviour during his first murder sentence.

He said Hunter has an intermittent explosive temper.

"It's patently obvious that now before the court on a second count of murder... (that) into foreseeable future (he) would pose a significant risk to the community," Dr Ogloff said.

Ms Dickson told the court her only daughter was her world.

Steven James Hunter's criminal history:

July 1983 burglary and theft
    Oct 1983 fined for assault
    Feb 1984 unlawful trespass
    Feb 1988 convicted of a murder two years earlier, of a young colleague who refused his advances
    Sept 1998 convicted for heroin and cannabis in cell
    Feb 1990 escapes from prison was recaptured and dealt with one month later
    Dec 2002 Released on Parole
    May 2002 Parole cancelled
    July 2002 Re paroled
    Oct 2004 Parole cancelled
    Feb 2005 convicted of dangerous driving offences
    Apr 2005 convicted for kidnapping while on parole
    The sentencing judge described the crime as a violent and sadistic assault

Oct 2007 Released on parole
    Oct 2012 Parole period ends
    One month later, Hunter kills Sarah Cafferkey in a frenzied stabbing.

"Now I will never be able to tell you about her future, her career, her loves, her wedding, her children," Ms Dickson said.

"Every fortnight I am reminded my daughter Sarah was put in a wheelie bin to be discarded by rubbish.

"Let me tell you - Sarah was not rubbish."

The court heard Ms Dickson was not allowed to see her daughter for a final time.

"I couldn't say goodbye to her, to hold her one last time, kiss her and tell her I love her," she said.

Ms Cafferkey's father, Adrian Cafferkey, said his daughter was senselessly and cruelly taken.

"I stand her before you with knowledge of his past and asked how and why," he said.

The court heard Ms Cafferkey was studying social justice.

"It's ironic that justice... was the one thing that failed her," Mr Cafferkey said.

All my friends are prisoners

Defence lawyer Tim Marsh said while his client accepts he will receive a hefty sentence, he should be given non-parole period.

Mr Marsh said his crime falls short of other grossly depraved murders and his early plea of guilty has saved Ms Cafferkey's family of uncertainty of a distressing trial.

The court heard Hunter had a difficult and dreadful upbringing characterised by abuse and family violence.

Mr Marsh said he has no friends or family support and says "all his friends are prisoners."

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post

In the meantime, Hunter went to Bunnings bought 20 litres of hydrochloric acid, three bags of cement and other items to conceal her body.

Nine days after the murder, Ms Cafferkey's body was found in a wheelie bin of cement at a house in Point Cook where Hunter lived.

Steven James Hunter's criminal history:

July 1983 burglary and theft
    Oct 1983 fined for assault
    Feb 1984 unlawful trespass
    Feb 1988 convicted of a murder two years earlier, of a young colleague who refused his advances
    Sept 1998 convicted for heroin and cannabis in cell
    Feb 1990 escapes from prison was recaptured and dealt with one month later
    Dec 2002 Released on Parole
    May 2002 Parole cancelled
    July 2002 Re paroled
    Oct 2004 Parole cancelled
    Feb 2005 convicted of dangerous driving offences
    Apr 2005 convicted for kidnapping while on parole
    The sentencing judge described the crime as a violent and sadistic assault

Oct 2007 Released on parole
    Oct 2012 Parole period ends
    One month later, Hunter kills Sarah Cafferkey in a frenzied stabbing.

All my friends are prisoners

Defence lawyer Tim Marsh said while his client accepts he will receive a hefty sentence, he should be given non-parole period.

Mr Marsh said his crime falls short of other grossly depraved murders and his early plea of guilty has saved Ms Cafferkey's family of uncertainty of a distressing trial.

Mr Marsh said he has no friends or family support and says "all his friends are prisoners."
    Jesus, this is infuriating. Rest in Peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

Okay, it's time for America to put real criminals behind bars. I think it's hilarious drug dealers get more time than convicted rapists and murderers.Thanks to America's drug war there is no room for rapists and murderers in our penetentiaries, that's why they have the option to plea; and that is why they get out.

Steven James Hunter will die behind bars after being sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for the murder of Victorian woman Sarah Cafferkey.

Victorian Supreme Court Justice Kevin Bell said the murder fell into the worst category of the worst offence in the criminal calendar.

"Your murder of Sarah shows you have a propensity for extreme violence from which the community, particularly young women, need protection," he told Hunter.

Justice Bell said he was satisfied Hunter had a degree of remorse and was not a monster.

"While your crime was monstrous, you are not a monster," he said.

But he said Hunter, who had killed before, was likely to remain a risk to the community even as an old man and his prospects for rehabilitation were poor.

"After anxious consideration I have concluded that I should not impose a minimum term despite your plea of guilty and the degree of remorse which you have expressed," he said.

Justice Bell said Hunter's moral culpability was very high and he had a past history of serious crimes and was therefore a serious violent offender.

Friends and family of Ms Cafferkey cheered and clapped as Hunter's life-term without parole was delivered.

Outside court, Ms Cafferkey's mother, Noelle, said the sentence had restored her faith in the justice system.

?Today we stand before you in the knowledge that justice has been served for our beautiful daughter, niece, cousin and friend," she said.

"Sarah was a beautiful young woman who had so much to live for.

"She was bright, funny and caring. Sarah was loved by everyone she crossed paths with and will be missed by us all.

Hunter, 47, pleaded guilty to murdering Ms Cafferkey on November 10 last year, 11 days after his parole ended for kidnapping and assaulting a man.

Hunter stabbed Ms Cafferkey 19 times during an argument over drugs at his Bacchus Marsh home.

He dumped the 22-year-old's body in a wheelie bin and covered it with cement.

Ms Cafferkey had been drinking with Hunter when he found a syringe belonging to his ex-partner and made a disparaging comment about junkies.

Ms Cafferkey believed he had been talking about her and began arguing and pushing Hunter.

He responded by attacking Ms Cafferkey with a hammer and stabbing her 19 times.

Hunter went to elaborate lengths to hide his crime, including sending text messages to Ms Cafferkey's phone with one saying: "Give me a call when you want to catch up."

The pair had been spending time together after recently meeting through mutual friends.

It was the second time Hunter had killed, following the 1986 stabbing murder of his work colleague Jacqueline Mathews who rejected his sexual advances in a secluded car park.

Chief Crown prosecutor Gavin Silbert SC told Hunter's plea hearing he was a remorseless killer who should be jailed for life with no prospect of release.

But Hunter's lawyer Tim Marsh said his client's guilty plea, remorse and age meant he should be spared life in jail without parole.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/latest/...iled-for-life/

Quote Originally Posted by luvit View Post
    Justice Bell said he was satisfied Hunter had a degree of remorse and was not a monster.

"While your crime was monstrous, you are not a monster," he said.
    Nope. Still a monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

Wow. Can't believe this was so long ago.

During the months leading up to her death, Sarah Cafferkey had formed a friendship with her killer, Stephen James Hunter, and the pair bonded over partying and drug use, the inquest into her death has heard.
    Ms Cafferkey and Hunter would often meet up and use of drugs including ice and drink alcohol, reported the Age. Hunter was categorised as being of a 'moderate risk' to the community when he was released from prison and killed Ms Cafferkey.
    It was only eleven days after his parole ceased that Hunter murdered Ms Cafferkey.
    On the day she was killed, Ms Cafferkey was reportedly with Hunter at his Bacchus Marsh unit when a fight broke out between the pair on November 10, 2012.
    Hunter then fatally stabbed and bashed Ms Cafferkey and drove Ms Cafferkey's body to Point Cook where he put it in a wheelie bin and poured concrete on it.
    During the inquest, the court heard that Hunter was under the influence of drugs when he brutally murdered the 22-year-old and had a dark criminal record, reported the ABC.
    Hunter was a convicted murder, who was regularly in and out of jail for over two decades.
    He repeatedly breached parole after decades of crime, but was allowed back into the community when he committed the murder.
    Corrections Victoria deputy commissioner of operations Roderick Wise told the inquest that: 'Generally speaking, Mr Hunter responded well to parole ... he engaged, not always effectively.
    'But he turned up and gave us no reason to believe he was a serious risk to the community. I think staff did a good job of monitoring him,' said Mr Wise
    The inquest heard that Hunter's parole reporting requirements lessened over time, with Hunter reporting to his parole officer once every three weeks toward the end of his parole period, reported the ABC.
    Hunter was categorised as being of a 'moderate risk' to the community when he was released and killed Ms Cafferkey.
    It was only eleven days after his parole ceased that Hunter murdered Ms Cafferkey.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3lBxbWazX
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

HEARTBROKEN parents of murder victim Sarah Cafferkey plan to sue the Victorian government for allowing her killer to be out on parole.

Ms Cafferkey?s stepfather, Lawrence Seery, and her mother, Noelle Dickson, hope a lawsuit will push the government into reviewing its procedures.

The 22-year-old was killed just over three years ago by Steven James Hunter, who was out on parole for previously murdering a young woman.

Ms Cafferkey was stabbed 19 times at Hunter?s unit in Bacchus Marsh in November 2012, and her body was found in a wheelie bin, covered in cement, at a home in Point Cook.

Mr Seery said a coronial inquest into Ms Cafferkey?s death found Hunter had not been flagged as a significant risk.

?He hadn?t been on the radar and because he hadn?t done anything for the last 10 years ? because he was in prison ? he was automatically classified as a low risk so he wasn?t even on police radar,? he said.

Mr Seery said too often men out on parole reoffended.

Melbourne?s Jill Meagher was murdered by Adrian Ernest Bayley who was out on parole after doing time for a number of violent rapes.

Sean Price, who murdered schoolgirl Masa Vukotic in the Melbourne suburb of Doncaster, was also on parole.

Mr Seery said clearly the processes the government had in place were not working.

?It just seems to me parole is looked at as a right rather than a privilege,? he said.

?It seems like you do eight years and you?re eligible, off you go with no true assessment of how much of a risk you are to the community.

?You reach that date on the timeline so see you later.?

Mr Seery said he would like to see a thorough annual audit of any person on parole.

?Hopefully the system is improved and it works in the future because that doesn?t seem to be the case right now,? he said.

?People are getting murdered ? it?s not just like a parking ticket ? this is the life of a poor, innocent person.?

Mr Seery said his stepdaughter would not have been killed if Hunter was not let out of prison on parole.

Shine Lawyers senior solicitor Paula Shelton is representing the family and said a writ was in place to protect the family?s rights while they await the coroner?s findings, which are still to be handed down.

?This protective proceeding will ensure our client has the opportunity to hold those responsible to account and shine a spotlight on flaws in the state?s management of parolees,? she said.

?By taking this action, we want to raise and examine the way the state managed Hunter?s release and how he was able to reoffend just days after his parole ended.

?We will be looking at a number of issues surrounding the state?s management of parolees.?

Ms Shelton said the law firm currently represented seven families in claims against Victoria for its ?negligence? in handling parolees.

?These parolees had breached the conditions of their parole on numerous occasions and yet nothing was done,? she said.

?Through this action, we want to see crucial changes made to stop people getting killed.?

A spokesman for Corrections, Prisons and Parole Victoria said ?it would be inappropriate to comment while it?s before the courts?.

http://www.news.com.au/national/cour...-1227612402340

Murderers should never get out of jail. Once found quilts, the sentence should automatically be LWOP!

RIP to this beautiful young woman

Link to the coronial inquest regarding Sarah

http://www.coronerscourt.vic.gov.au/...2_redacted.pdf

Thread Information