Thread: Body Modification Enthusiast Dennis Avner (54) aka Stalking Cat, may have committed suicide

Body Modification Enthusiast Dennis Avner (54) aka Stalking Cat, may have committed suicide

Dennis Avner, also known as 'Stalking Cat', the programmer who spent a whole shit ton of money on tattoos and plastic surgery to make himself look like a half person half cat, died this week at the age of 54.
    A former U.S. Navy sonar technician, and programmer, Stalking Cat was famous for having had extensive cosmetic surgery to adopt the likeness of his totem animal, the tiger, in accordance with Huron traditions. His body modifications included a split lip, labret-based whisker-holding implants, dental surgery, and silicone injections. He was also extensively tattooed. Stalking Cat was a guest of honor at Rainfurrest 2007, and appeared at CritterConDiego 3 in 2002.
    http://www.iheartchaos.com/post/3571...-the-age-of-54

What did he die from?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Possible suicide:

Dennis Avner, better known by his Native American name "Stalking Cat," died on Nov. 5. He was 54.

Avner, who underwent extensive body modification to transform himself into a big cat, is believed to have committed suicide in his hometown of Tonopah, Nev., the New York Daily News reports. The cause of his death has yet to be confirmed, however.

The Nye County Sheriff's Office confirmed Avner's death to The Huffington Post but was not able to provide additional details.

According to Jodie Michalak of About.com, Avner, who is of Native American descent, had "felt his spirit…called to the wild and [had] made it his goal to modify his body in honor of the tiger," his totem animal.

"I'm Huron and Lakota," he told the Seattle Times in 2005. "I'm just taking a very old tradition, that to my knowledge is not practiced anymore."

Over the course of many years, Avner, who was a U.S. Navy veteran-turned-programmer, paid an "uncalculated amount" of money to achieve his metamorphosis, undergoing several surgeries and cosmetic procedures, as well as getting a great number of tattoos and piercings, the Daily Mail reported in 2008.

A few years ago, Avner gained worldwide fame after he clinched the title of the "most permanent transformations to look like an animal" in the Guinness Book of World Records. Since then, the "Cat Man" had been featured on "Ripley's Believe It or Not!," VH1's "Totally Obsessed," Animal Planet's "Weird, True & Freaky" and several other TV shows.

In a tribute piece about "Stalking Cat," Shannon Larratt, founder of the Body Modification e-Zine (BME), wrote:

Dennis identified strongly with his feline totem animals and in what he told me was a Huron tradition of actually adopting the physical form of one's totem, he transformed himself not just into a tiger, but a female tiger at that, blurring and exploring the gender line as much as the species line.

Much of his work had been done by body modification pioneer Steve Haworth, who rebuilt Dennis’s ears, lip, nose, and face to resemble a tiger, including a multitude of transdermals that held artificial whiskers. In addition to being almost completely covered in tattoos, he’d also sculpted his face and body with extensive silicone work, had custom teeth built to emulate his inner nature, and regularly wore contact lenses and an artificial robotic tail.

Avner's extensive body work won him many admirers, including tattoo fans and body modification enthusiasts, but undoubtedly, it also provoked criticism and concern from physicians and baffled regular folk alike.

Glenn McGee, director of the Center for Bioethics at Albany Medical College in New York, told the Seattle Times that though many people have traditionally "tried to emulate animals as a model for virility," Avner may have taken things too far.

"This is a patient who's being harmed by medicine in the interest of his tradition," he said. The newspaper adds that other doctors had expressed concern that Avner may have suffered from a form of body dysmorphic disorder.

"Dennis’s boundary-breaking life was never an easy one, and as he was fond of saying, he 'found fame, but never fortune.' A wonderful and complex person, he was at times as troubled as he was remarkable," BME's Larratt wrote.

Since Avner's death, many have stepped forward to mourn his passing and celebrate his life.

"When it comes to weird characters and totally outrageous body modifications, none compared to Dennis,” Tim O'Brien of Ripley Entertainment Inc., the company behind "Ripley's Believe it or Not!," told The Huffington Post.

"Such sad news. I never had the honor of meeting him, but I know he inspired a lot of people to follow their heart when it comes to body mods. Rest in peace Dennis. Thinking of his friends and family," a BME reader said on Monday.

"Dennis, you and I never met, but I have followed your story. I just wanted to say that I've always been impressed with your dedication and desire to honor your heritage and walk that path," Jennifer Sams wrote on Avner's Gone Too Soon memorial page.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2122947.html

Noooo!!!!!

he used to live in san diego. totally random, unrelated fact but he was little bit of a celebrity out here. i can't remember if i met him and he was pleasant, or if i made that memory up. ha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

Also, I just noticed my girlbox is full.

Did someone say "stalking"?

In all seriousness, RIP. It's always sad when anyone takes a life.

He probably woke up that morning, looked in the mirror and in a moment of clarity thought "What the fuck have I done?"

Yeah, who would think that a man who tried to transform himself into the cat from He-Man would have emotional problems.

Maybe he was seeing if he had 9 lives?

RIP Dennis. I'll pour a little 'nip on the floor in memory of you tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by MBPearls View Post
    Maybe he was seeing if he had 9 lives?

RIP Dennis. I'll pour a little 'nip on the floor in memory of you tonight.

He came to my house once, but I chucked him out for clawing the furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Yeah, who would think that a man who tried to transform himself into the cat from He-Man would have emotional problems.
    touche

No 9 lives for this kitty cat.....Sad...RIP

Thread Information