Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Per Request: Video of secret Mormon ceremony inside temple

yeah.... it makes me feel like i'm asking for welfare from god.

i think the times i've prayed and got an 'answer', like for example, i need a job and a few days later i see something that makes me think, 'hey! i should look into doing that!' are just the same as the times i've not prayed and had similar experiences.

it seems prayer is just a way to focus your mind and get it thinking about things in another way.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    No, i can ask god to let me win the powerball, doesnt mean its going to happen. He isnt santa clause. He may be answering your prayer but you just arent getting the answer you wanted.

i pray all the time that i want my mom back. it's not gonna happen. i ask for comfort when im having those really bad days where she is literally all i can think of and believe me, this year i have prayed more than i ever have before and im stilla live and kicking.
    I haven't, I'm alive. I can see meditation to find strength within yourself, but God only answers some prayers?

Do starving kids not have God's address? Cause college football players talk to him all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    I haven't, I'm alive. I can see meditation to find strength within yourself, but God only answers some prayers?

Do starving kids not have God's address? Cause college football players talk to him all the time.
    Like I said, it's your own personal choice to pray or not or to bellieve in it or not. I won't judge someone because they feel differently than me.

Like I said, it's your own personal choice to pray or not or to bellieve in it or not. I won't judge someone because they feel differently than me.
    That doesn't answer the question though.

If God is gonna do what he's gonna do, why bother asking for anything?

That doesn't answer the question though.

If God is gonna do what he's gonna do, why bother asking for anything?
    I believe personally that he points us in the right direction, or he gives that person comfort. You are atheist, right? I think no matter what i say, you will have a come back at me and that's fine but i dont have all the answers. i choose to believe what I believe in and I respect your choice not to believe in it. It certainly doesnt make me think less of you as a person.

I believe personally that he points us in the right direction, or he gives that person comfort. You are atheist, right? I think no matter what i say, you will have a come back at me and that's fine but i dont have all the answers. i choose to believe what I believe in and I respect your choice not to believe in it. It certainly doesnt make me think less of you as a person.
    Well yea, faith is not fact, so I guess you can look at it this way.

I don't see how respect and all that come into play. These are things that as an Atheist I seriously do not understand. That's why I'm asking.

I pray for my brother's tumor, if he dies that's God's will, if he makes it God saved him?? I DON'T UNDERSTAND DANCE!

I do believe in miracles and i believe personally that God is behind those miracles. I could tell you of three specific things that happened to me where i was at the end of my rope and I know God pulled me back. You or others may not believe that it was god but i know it was.
    Faith is just a very personal thing. I mean it's the same as me saying that i have a relationship with god. I know i do but anyone can look at me and be like 'how in the hell?'.

As far as respect goes, Im just saying that I would respect you as a person to not sit and yell hell and damnation or whatever at you.

I know i even struggle with babies dying. Why would god let a baby die? Anyone would want to know that. I feel that it's all in gods plan for why things happen.

I do believe in miracles and i believe personally that God is behind those miracles. I could tell you of three specific things that happened to me where i was at the end of my rope and I know God pulled me back. You or others may not believe that it was god but i know it was.
    Faith is just a very personal thing. I mean it's the same as me saying that i have a relationship with god. I know i do but anyone can look at me and be like 'how in the hell?'.

As far as respect goes, Im just saying that I would respect you as a person to not sit and yell hell and damnation or whatever at you.

I know i even struggle with babies dying. Why would god let a baby die? Anyone would want to know that. I feel that it's all in gods plan for why things happen.
    Oh, Hell talk.
    That is so foreign to me I didn't even consider it. wow.

Hey, I wish I could feel comfort in something like that. I just don't feel it, nor do I see the evidence.

So do you think some gods are wrong or silly? You left the Mormon thing, so I'm curious.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Ugh, God's plan for dead children
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Oh, Hell talk.
    That is so foreign to me I didn't even consider it. wow.

Hey, I wish I could feel comfort in something like that. I just don't feel it, nor do I see the evidence.

So do you think some gods are wrong or silly? You left the Mormon thing, so I'm curious.
    Honestly to me god is god. The same god i grew up knowing in the mormon church is the same god i identify with. He's no different to me. The only difference between the mormon time and my time now is the teachings. I don't believe in the mormons teachings. I find the church itself repulsive to be quite honest. When mom died, the church REALLY pissed me off and i have considered talking face to face with the bishop of her ward just to tell him how much they hurt us during that time.

They believe that god and satan are 'brothers'. I dont believe that. i dont believe in their seperate kingdoms. I dont believe in their magic underpants either.

I don't think bad of any other gods. Ive never sat and educamacated myself on other gods. I know the god i believe in.

You are kinda like my ex in the sense that since he doesnt see evidence of it, therefore it cant be real. I get it and i do understand the need for proof. For me, my need for proof has been established over and over.

When my mom chose to go off dialysis, we were told to expect her to swell to the point of her skin cracking, ripping and weeping all over because her kidneys didnt work. They said it would be very painful and I made sure to keep her medicated. I prayed and prayed and prayed to PLEASE not let my mom suffer. Please dont let her swell so bad that her skin rips open and she lays there in pain dying. Over the year before when she was on dialysis, my mom would swell every other day to the point she couldnt move.

Here we were, with mom dying. no dialysis, she is straight up dying now. I watched her feet, her legs, her arms, hands and face. No swelling. No pain.

Im bawling typing this right now because it brings me so much comfort that i feel as tho god answered my prayers for her not to die like that. i wanted her to be at peace and in no pain and that is exactly what happened. I gave that up to god and my mom died in front of me looking as beautiful as she did before she ever got sick. i got to watch her leave this world and myself, my sister and my aunt were spared from seeing her die in agony.

All i wanted was peace, comfort and no pain and thats what we got.

Im sorry.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    That's great, for real. But what about all the people who do suffer and are in pain? Does God just pick and choose? Do they not pray hard enough? My mom wanted my daughter to go to a Bible camp and on their website they had something about "We know God loves us, because he heals us when we're sick!" idk. Not something I want to instill in her. I believe everyone's entitled to their opinion, of course, but I also believe in the right to discuss it (in appropriate threads, of course).
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Honestly to me god is god. The same god i grew up knowing in the mormon church is the same god i identify with. He's no different to me. The only difference between the mormon time and my time now is the teachings. I don't believe in the mormons teachings. I find the church itself repulsive to be quite honest. When mom died, the church REALLY pissed me off and i have considered talking face to face with the bishop of her ward just to tell him how much they hurt us during that time.

They believe that god and satan are 'brothers'. I dont believe that. i dont believe in their seperate kingdoms. I dont believe in their magic underpants either.

I don't think bad of any other gods. Ive never sat and educamacated myself on other gods. I know the god i believe in.

You are kinda like my ex in the sense that since he doesnt see evidence of it, therefore it cant be real. I get it and i do understand the need for proof. For me, my need for proof has been established over and over.

When my mom chose to go off dialysis, we were told to expect her to swell to the point of her skin cracking, ripping and weeping all over because her kidneys didnt work. They said it would be very painful and I made sure to keep her medicated. I prayed and prayed and prayed to PLEASE not let my mom suffer. Please dont let her swell so bad that her skin rips open and she lays there in pain dying. Over the year before when she was on dialysis, my mom would swell every other day to the point she couldnt move.

Here we were, with mom dying. no dialysis, she is straight up dying now. I watched her feet, her legs, her arms, hands and face. No swelling. No pain.

Im bawling typing this right now because it brings me so much comfort that i feel as tho god answered my prayers for her not to die like that. i wanted her to be at peace and in no pain and that is exactly what happened. I gave that up to god and my mom died in front of me looking as beautiful as she did before she ever got sick. i got to watch her leave this world and myself, my sister and my aunt were spared from seeing her die in agony.

Im sorry.
    Yikes. I can't imagine being that invested in something. I mean, wouldn't you be crushed if your prayers weren't answered? I mean if you truly believe that some all powerful deity is watching your mom suffer and doing nothing, how is that not infuriating?

And if someone were in the same situation do you believe they would suffer if their daughter didn't pray hard enough?

Im sorry.
    wow, wtbb. that's really touching and i'm glad your faith in god helped you through that time. i'm sorry for your loss and i'm happy your mother went more peacefully than expected.

ron... you're such a meanie!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    That's great, for real. But what about all the people who do suffer and are in pain? Does God just pick and choose? Do they not pray hard enough? My mom wanted my daughter to go to a Bible camp and on their website they had something about "We know God loves us, because he heals us when we're sick!" idk. Not something I want to instill in her. I believe everyone's entitled to their opinion, of course, but I also believe in the right to discuss it (in appropriate threads, of course).
    I don't think god turns his back on people if they arent bellievers. I wish I had all the answers for you guys. I only know my own heart and Im not trying to be cheesy or anything.
    Yikes. I can't imagine being that invested in something. I mean, wouldn't you be crushed if your prayers weren't answered? I mean if you truly believe that some all powerful deity is watching your mom suffer and doing nothing, how is that not infuriating?

And if someone were in the same situation do you believe they would suffer if their daughter didn't pray hard enough?
    To this i would say that although my prayers were answered that she didnt suffer, my prayers for her to live a longer life werent successful.

I would never look at a grieving family and say 'oh they didnt pray hard enough'. Never. I believe in praying for other people tho. I mean, if something happened to you or anyone else here, i would pray for you. Most likely i wouldnt tell you that I was because i know some people take offense to it but hey, whats the harm in me wanting to pray for you to be healthy or whatever?

My prayers are not always answered the way I wished they were.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    wow, wtbb. that's really touching and i'm glad your faith in god helped you through that time. i'm sorry for your loss and i'm happy your mother went more peacefully than expected.

ron... you're such a meanie!
    Yea, it's always hard to argue the God stuff. Religion is the only topic where "just because" is enough for an argument.
    And of course, people have to leave it alone, or they're horrible people.

I am on the New York Knicks. I just know this in my heart. Prove it? I can't, I just know.

I don't think god turns his back on people if they arent bellievers. I wish I had all the answers for you guys. I only know my own heart and Im not trying to be cheesy or anything.
    To this i would say that although my prayers were answered that she didnt suffer, my prayers for her to live a longer life werent successful.

I would never look at a grieving family and say 'oh they didnt pray hard enough'. Never. I believe in praying for other people tho. I mean, if something happened to you or anyone else here, i would pray for you. Most likely i wouldnt tell you that I was because i know some people take offense to it but hey, whats the harm in me wanting to pray for you to be healthy or whatever?

My prayers are not always answered the way I wished they were.
    I would respectfully ask you to never pray for me or my family, thank you. I am actually offended by it. There are times I keep news from people because I don't want to hear that prayer stuff. I mean, I know they mean the best, but it's like they're not taking it seriously (to me).

Oh, your mom has a tumor? Well let's ask Santa to make that pesky tumor to go away!
    May as well pat me on the head. Yea, good intentions, but I honestly don't care for it. Say best wishes, or that someone is in your thoughts. Obviously I can't stop people from doing it, but it's my right to be offended by anything I want, and this is one for me.

I wish you had all the answers too!

Ron, is your mom into God? Im not trying to be stereotypical but i always thought the older generation people, especially women were pretty religious.

I dont think anyone will have the real answers until we die, no?

Ron, is your mom into God? Im not trying to be stereotypical but i always thought the older generation people, especially women were pretty religious.

I dont think anyone will have the real answers until we die, no?
    Oh, yea. I'm surrounded by these people. They have loud ass prayer meetings with screaming and everything. I'm sure all my mom's friends think I need Jesus.

I mean, I think it's cool that she has such a big clique at 77. Even without me, mom is never alone. And they're not dickhead Christians. Gays, and abortions are cool. Stem cell research isn't though. It's sad, because that's only due to their pastor. They literally just don't like something they don't understand.

She was never religious until my dad died though. Gets her through it I guess. When he died, I'm like "I'm never gonna see him again. Hope I said everything I had to say." She honestly thinks the opposite. That amazes me.
    Yea, I was calling shenanigans on religion since I was a kid. I went to Catholic junior high, and was like "you gotta be fucking kidding me." And freshman year of HS. I TOOK RELIGION AS A CLASS! Wanna be convinced the Bible is bullshit? Read it.

And black Americans are notoriously religious. It's sad. Shit was shoved down our throats, and we couldn't get enough of it. Convinced slaves to work hard to get their reward in Heaven. Best con ever.

I want to go to an all black church. I think they look like so much fun, they totally get into the music, the preachings, everything.

I went to this baptist church and thought for sure i would see some of that but i never did. I think i was the youngest person in that church.

I want to go to an all black church. I think they look like so much fun, they totally get into the music, the preachings, everything.

I went to this baptist church and thought for sure i would see some of that but i never did. I think i was the youngest person in that church.
    Black God rules.

Yea, she's got the hats and everything. Oops, the crown. Nigga, everyone knows there's a truce on Sunday.

And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

i'm watching a taboo episode on the 'charismatic christianity' and i'll have to admit, that shit looks awesome!

I just bumped this because I think Ron was asking about it in another thread. It's so interesting to read some of the responses, my own included.

I realized when I was reading the banter back and forth between Ron and I about God's existence, that I never really answered him because I didn't know how to answer. I still don't. Like, why do babies die? Or my favorite Ron question was when he asked if the starving kids in Africa had God's address? (I did LOL at that, but I don't have the answer).

I think the real definition of faith was never defined properly, like my faith and someone else's faith, how does it work?

Some people would read this and say 'well, because pancakes'.

I love this discussion tho, I hope it comes back alive.

We have a newer Mormon building here now and i's a super nice one and it's this huge elaborate building that gets used maybe twice a year when the stake president decides to talk to their millions of members. The whole hige screen comes down and a shit ton of mormons all huddled together with their book of mormons and listening to what the prophet has to say.

I need to get some pics of this building, it really does stick out.

WTBB did you wake up yet and accept reality?

Nah, I still believe in God.

Thread Information