Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Catfish

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Catfish

Well, let's take the cat out of the bag now rather than later.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/catfish-th...playlist.jhtml

In light of some of the people that have come here and pulled stunts, I think this show is pretty interesting. I liked the movie too. Kind of fucked up to think that people lie so much to strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

I know a girl that does this and makes pages to go stalk every girl that shows her "man" attention on FB. It is really sad. She has three kids but spends hours and hours doing this. I saw one of the pages on a good friends page and told her. She told me that she has been talking to this person since the myspace days. She has kept this up for over 5 years with just this one page.

Crazy people are crazy.

ron_nyc: I don't like the black ones much.

5 Years?!

I just don't get it. There is no point to emotionally fish a stranger. When it happens for money there is not a good reason, but some type of reasoning behind the lie. When it's for emotional reasons it's just fucking weird and scary.

This first episode is kind of crazy because it turns out the 'boyfriend' ends up being a female who clearly sits at home on the net and shams people/impersonates other people all day in her pajamas. Fucking weirdo.

Yes 5 years. I used to know the girl and she had used this profile forever. When I saw it on my friends page I was just laughing. I asked her about it and she was in shock. She went back to myspace and even showed me years of messages. Before my friend had her kid they talked all of the time. She does have the girls "man" on her myspace and he used to like her pictures or comment I guess. It is just really really nuts to me.

This show is crazy and makes you not want to trust anyone.

ron_nyc: I don't like the black ones much.

I didn't watch the link, but did the first episode air already? I wanted to watch it. I can't believe people do this shit, or have time for it. I remember a while back (10 years?) where a couple met online. Talked for a couple years. One woman was married and was going to leave her husband and move states away to be with internet guy. Before the big move, internet guy needs to tell married woman a secret, he's a woman. The internet guy/woman is a lesbian. Herman used some really crazy name from love story novels, like Thorn, or something. Married woman didn't care about herman, she fell it love and was moving anyway. I don't remember how it all played out.
    /true story

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    I didn't watch the link, but did the first episode air already? I wanted to watch it. I can't believe people do this shit, or have time for it. I remember a while back (10 years?) where a couple met online. Talked for a couple years. One woman was married and was going to leave her husband and move states away to be with internet guy. Before the big move, internet guy needs to tell married woman a secret, he's a woman. The internet guy/woman is a lesbian. Herman used some really crazy name from love story novels, like Thorn, or something. Married woman didn't care about herman, she fell it love and was moving anyway. I don't remember how it all played out.
    /true story
    Watch the link!!

It's the first episode.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    Watch the link!!

It's the first episode.
    Off to watch. I would totes have an internet affair with most MDS'ers.

Off to watch. I would totes have an internet affair with most MDS'ers.
    So you say now.

I had my list of crushes. Sadly, like they do, they have dissipated.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    So you say now.

I had my list of crushes. Sadly, like they do, they have dissipated.
    And that's why they would stay internet affairs.

/true story
    This reminds me of something I saw on Dr. Phil one time. This married woman believed she was talking to Matthew Perry (the actor) on myspace for a long period of time, and they became great friends and started falling in love. The woman seemed reasonably intelligent and sane otherwise, but she really 100% believed that she was talking to Matthew Perry!! It turned out to be some young girl living in England. The young girl actually had feelings for this woman, so the woman forgave her and they remained friends.

I guess when we're desperate for love, or when we feel a connection that we believe to be real, we will fall for anything. Personally, I don't think I could ever be fooled into thinking I was talking to Matthew Perry, haha. But I've done online chatting with guys before, and who the hell knows what was real and what wasn't. Really kinda scary. (For the record, I've put my younger days of online dating behind me - it aint worth the risk).

Ohhh, found the Dr. Phil page about the Matthew Perry episode -- http://drphil.com/slideshows/slidesh...18&showID=1207

Quote Originally Posted by kurious View Post
    This reminds me of something I saw on Dr. Phil one time. This married woman believed she was talking to Matthew Perry (the actor) on myspace for a long period of time, and they became great friends and started falling in love. The woman seemed reasonably intelligent and sane otherwise, but she really 100% believed that she was talking to Matthew Perry!! It turned out to be some young girl living in England. The young girl actually had feelings for this woman, so the woman forgave her and they remained friends.

I guess when we're desperate for love, or when we feel a connection that we believe to be real, we will fall for anything. Personally, I don't think I could ever be fooled into thinking I was talking to Matthew Perry, haha. But I've done online chatting with guys before, and who the hell knows what was real and what wasn't. Really kinda scary. (For the record, I've put my younger days of online dating behind me - it aint worth the risk).

Ohhh, found the Dr. Phil page about the Matthew Perry episode -- http://drphil.com/slideshows/slidesh...18&showID=1207
    I don't understand how anyone could think they were talking to any celebrity. A celebrity has the money to travel anywhere to meet up. And people fall for this stuff!

You are right. I think people are desperate to find love and feel acceptance, so they are willing to be open to anything. I've internet dated, but I've always met them in person. I didn't meet one person who didn't resemble their pictures. They didn't always have the life they said they did, but they didn't fake pics.

It never even occurred to me to fake my life or pics. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    ..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

Marking.
    People are so gullible!
    Can't wait for the next episode. Almost felt sorry for Sunny, almost.

Quote Originally Posted by DinHB View Post
    Marking.
    People are so gullible!
    Can't wait for the next episode. Almost felt sorry for Sunny, almost.
    Keyword. Although I can't blame her for making a connection with someone online, I have met many people over the years and never had this experience. However, I never fell in love with any of those people and claimed or believed to have had a 'intimate' relationship with any of them. I feel badly for her for falling victim to someone who has such emotional problems. I don't think that anyone deserves that, but at the same time unless you know that a person is real, you shouldn't invest yourself emotionally, financially or otherwise.

Fucking internet and modern day crazies.

i'm watching.

years ago a girl took a bunch of my photo's off an old bf's website and used them to meet guys on the internet. the weirdest part about it was she told me about it. even before that i knew she was creeptastic.

I can't believe that chick was so nice. How can she still talk to the creeper? I wonder if she couldn't give her up because they shared so much?

Emmie, scary!!

Yeah I am not so sure I would be able to be that nice either. I did like how Nev introduced her to the right guy in the end.

Yeah, that was pretty cool. I wonder what the sister thought when Sunny got home and I wonder if they introduced the right guy with the sister. I lol'd when she said that he was taking online classes to be an anesthesiologist. "He's super smart."

While I would never pretend to be someone/thing I'm not online, I guess I understand why some people do it. They want to be something they cannot be in real life (whether that is true or not). Still, it is so cruel to involve someone emotionally (relationships, friendships, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by xxStarryxxEyedxx View Post
    While I would never pretend to be someone/thing I'm not online, I guess I understand why some people do it. They want to be something they cannot be in real life (whether that is true or not). Still, it is so cruel to involve someone emotionally (relationships, friendships, etc.).
    This is why I can't understand it. I can understand what you said about being someone you can't in real life, but play Dungeons and Dragons or Skyrim (or what ever it's called) or something, ya know? It's sad. On both sides, really.

This is why I can't understand it. I can understand what you said about being someone you can't in real life, but play Dungeons and Dragons or Skyrim (or what ever it's called) or something, ya know? It's sad. On both sides, really.
    I agree with you!

I actually had someone do this to me back in the day, though the person didn't mean to. She was pretending to be someone else to a group of people in a chat room and I really clicked with her. She came clean after a while and we are still good friends. Sometimes, I think the person believes they won't get someone to even start talking to them if they aren't a specific type of person. Maybe that is why there are so many message boards for like minded people!

For me - give me an interesting person who knows the difference between there, their and they're - and I'm happy!

I fell in love online. But we actually knew what each other looked like (webcam) and we talked on the phone and stuff... in fact, we actually met in person (which involved a plane ticket!) before we decided to be in a relationship. (And it was long distance for over 3 years, then he moved here, and we bought a house together this year after celebrating our 7th anniversary, so there you go.)

I guess that's what really got me in the first episode... Sunny texted "RJ" dozens of times a day, but didn't find it weird that they had never spoken on the phone (despite them having each other's numbers). And it seemed like the "research" of RJ took Nev like... 2 seconds on Google. It's really not adding up to Sunny having any sort of intelligence whatsoever. She's like "Oh, we can text each other for 12 hours but he's too busy to call!" Her denial of all the lies Nev uncovered was great. "I don't care that he lied about his sisters dying. Oh, so many people work on that show that I'm sure the person you talked to has no idea what they are talking about. Oh, he lives in Tuscaloosa? Well, models need vacation homes too!"

Though I loved her sister getting all pissy about the meeting. "He was MY Facebook friend FIRST!" Oh lord.

My biggest disappointment is my guide says next week's episode is only 30 minutes long. I hope it's wrong!

I agree with you!

I actually had someone do this to me back in the day, though the person didn't mean to. She was pretending to be someone else to a group of people in a chat room and I really clicked with her. She came clean after a while and we are still good friends. Sometimes, I think the person believes they won't get someone to even start talking to them if they aren't a specific type of person. Maybe that is why there are so many message boards for like minded people!

For me - give me an interesting person who knows the difference between there, their and they're - and I'm happy!
    At first I was going to say you must be easy. Then I thought about how hard it is for people to know the difference.
    Maybe it does have something to do with getting some bites and they don't think they will end up being vested in the relationship. I guess I just don't understand someone portraying the opposite sex. I can't imagine acting like I'm a dude to get a woman. Maybe it's because I think of what I'm doing and the repercussions. I dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by MBPearls View Post
    I fell in love online. But we actually knew what each other looked like (webcam) and we talked on the phone and stuff... in fact, we actually met in person (which involved a plane ticket!) before we decided to be in a relationship. (And it was long distance for over 3 years, then he moved here, and we bought a house together this year after celebrating our 7th anniversary, so there you go.)

I guess that's what really got me in the first episode... Sunny texted "RJ" dozens of times a day, but didn't find it weird that they had never spoken on the phone (despite them having each other's numbers). And it seemed like the "research" of RJ took Nev like... 2 seconds on Google. It's really not adding up to Sunny having any sort of intelligence whatsoever. She's like "Oh, we can text each other for 12 hours but he's too busy to call!" Her denial of all the lies Nev uncovered was great. "I don't care that he lied about his sisters dying. Oh, so many people work on that show that I'm sure the person you talked to has no idea what they are talking about. Oh, he lives in Tuscaloosa? Well, models need vacation homes too!"

Though I loved her sister getting all pissy about the meeting. "He was MY Facebook friend FIRST!" Oh lord.

My biggest disappointment is my guide says next week's episode is only 30 minutes long. I hope it's wrong!
    That's awesome! I also thought Chelsea was a ding-dong for not wanting to Skype or something. I thought they did talk on the phone, though. When I heard Chelsea talk for the first time, I could tell it was a chick and the dudes were all like that's totes a 13 year old boy with braces! hahahaha!

At first I was going to say you must be easy. Then I thought about how hard it is for people to know the difference.
    Maybe it does have something to do with getting some bites and they don't think they will end up being vested in the relationship. I guess I just don't understand someone portraying the opposite sex. I can't imagine acting like I'm a dude to get a woman. Maybe it's because I think of what I'm doing and the repercussions. I dunno.
    Hahaha, how DARE you! I probably didn't express myself well. I just meant that I am fine talking to people online (not dating them) as long as they speak English that is correct and not annoying. I'm not an internet snob!

Hahaha, how DARE you! I probably didn't express myself well. I just meant that I am fine talking to people online (not dating them) as long as they speak English that is correct and not annoying. I'm not an internet snob!
    I totally got you!

I'm going to have to look this show up, although I'm not sure we get that channel. Sounds like a good way to waste time while hubby is at poker.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. - Mark Twain

Thread Information