Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Maddox Derkosh (2) killed by African wild dog pack at Pittsburgh Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    I guess in these folks' mind: $$ > kid. Yay!
    I raised two children. Parents are human, and can make mistakes, for sure. However, what idiot would EVER think it was okay to lift a child to sit atop a fence for a "better view" into a wild animal enclosure?!! Yes.....lots of people dangle their children over wild dog cages so Jr. can get the best view possible! These people should be sued for not being neutered before they reproduced. Christ.

My bite is worse than my bark!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    Maybe they want to try to convince themselves that it's not their fault.
    By thinking $$ will buy them that peace of mind? If so, I wanna shop where they do.

(Honestly, I do agree with you that that is why they are likely doing what they're are doing.)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieBelle View Post
    I raised two children. Parents are human, and can make mistakes, for sure. However, what idiot would EVER think it was okay to lift a child to sit atop a fence for a "better view" into a wild animal enclosure?!! Yes.....lots of people dangle their children over wild dog cages so Jr. can get the best view possible! These people should be sued for not being neutered before they reproduced. Christ.
    Perhaps at the "Peace of Mind store" one can also buy a side order of "Common Sense". That $$ sure is gonna come in handy for these parents!!

This thread makes me rage. I want to make terrible comments to match my ire and make me out to me a total cootersnatchy bitch.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

By thinking $$ will buy them that peace of mind? If so, I wanna shop where they do.

(Honestly, I do agree with you that that is why they are likely doing what they're are doing.)

Perhaps at the "Peace of Mind store" one can also buy a side order of "Common Sense". That $$ sure is gonna come in handy for these parents!!

This thread makes me rage. I want to make terrible comments to match my ire and make me out to me a total cootersnatchy bitch.
    I feel the same way.....rest assured that you are not alone in the cootersnatchy bitchiness! My kids are 23 and 26.....and I'd STILL grab them and pull them back if they got too close to danger! And, to have the gall to then try and blame the zoo? Have they filed suit against the wild dogs, too?! I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child in the way that they did, but they are the ones who put him in danger. They will have to live for the rest of their lives with that guilt....all the money in the world won't bring their baby back. Such a needless tragedy.

My bite is worse than my bark!

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

Ha, yeah, I just mean that maybe they are trying to transfer some of the guilt. idk how she could think it's not her fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Oh fuck me. They better not get a penny.
    I am ROUTINELY snapping at parents at the FW zoo when we visit (quite often) for letting their kids climb over the rails or putting their kids on the rails. Yes, that gorilla is cute but he will smash little Johnny's skull. I even royally told off a mother for letting her like 4 year old son crawl under a rail and put his fingers in the cougar cage. WHAT IN THE FUCKING FUCK.
    I literally said to her "What in the FUCK do you think you are doing!?!"

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    The parents of a 2-year-old boy who fell into a wild African dogs exhibit and was mauled to death last fall have sued the Pittsburgh zoo.

The lawsuit filed Thursday claims that officials had ample warning that parents routinely lifted children onto a rail overlooking the exhibit for a better view.
    So....everyone else was doing it, so we thought it was OK? :(

I felt bad for the mom at first, even though it was completely her fault. Until I read that she sued the zoo. That just pissed me off. A railing is not a place to put a child, that is obvious, so I don't see how she can argue it. It is a barrier, that is placed there, so people can't fall in and get attacked. If you choose to take away that protective barrier that is between your child and the wild animals, that is your fault, not the zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I am with nestlie...this makes me rage so...best I keep mum on this one!

So the mom is basically suing the zoo for being there. Her kid fell and that wild dog pack exhibit just appeared out of nowhere!
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Bet you she gets some $$.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    Bet you she gets some $$.
    Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

I bet you are right, though. <gag&hurl>
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

"Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; They listen with the intent to reply." ~ anonymous
    "Keep calm and sing Soft Kitty"
    "it is what it is!"

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

I bet you are right, though. <gag&hurl>
    It's the nature of the beast. And most places that generate money will settle just to get their name out of the press. She definitely doesn't deserve a dime, but this is America!!

Why isn't there a statute of limitations or something? I mean the kid died 6+ months ago. It took that long for them to decide to sue??

And I'd like to see someone sue on behalf of the dogs for their stress and bereavement aat losing a sibling/family member....

Emotional distress happens over a period of time. I think you can sue anyone at any time, it's a civil matter.

And also they have to build a case to sue. It's not like, something you can do the next day.

And also they have to build a case to sue. It's not like, something you can do the next day.
    Not true. Some of these recent cases prove that:
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...qFJ/story.html
    http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...on-girl-surviv
    http://www.aclu.org/blog/national-se...riot-act-phone
    http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/09/ciara-...-served-video/
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

OK, sometimes true. But like in a case like this, where they're probably collecting evidence, had to find a lawyer to take them on, etc.

Also, fuck all of those except the first one.

OK, sometimes true. But like in a case like this, where they're probably collecting evidence, had to find a lawyer to take them on, etc.

Also, fuck all of those except the first one.
    Yeah usually true. Although in a high profile case, finding a lawyer isn't a problem. The lawyer finds you...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

dimedropper
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfallsoon View Post
    "PITTSBURGH (AP) ? A 2-year-old boy visiting the Pittsburgh zoo was killed Sunday when he fell off a railing that his mother had put him on top of to view a pack of African painted dogs, who pounced on the child and mauled him, police said.
    It was not clear whether the boy died from the 11-foot fall into the wild dog exhibit area or from the attack, said Barbara Baker, president and CEO of the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.

"It was very horrific," said Lt. Kevin Kraus of the Pittsburgh police, who added that the dogs attacked "immediately" after the boy's fall.

When the boy fell, other visitors immediately told staff members, who responded along with Pittsburgh police. Zookeepers called off some of the dogs, and seven of them immediately went to a back building. Three more eventually were drawn away from the child, but the last dog was aggressive and police had to shoot the animal, officials say.

The zoo was closed, and it was not clear when it would be reopen, authorities said.

Authorities didn't immediately release the name of the boy or his mother, but say she is 34-years old and lives in Pleasant Hills, just outside Pittsburgh. The boy's father arrived on the scene soon after the accident, police said."

The dogs are about as big as medium-sized domestic dogs, 2 to 2? feet high and 37 to 80 pounds, according to the zoo. African wild dogs are also known as cape hunting dogs, spotted dogs, and painted wolves. They have large, rounded ears and dark brown circles around their eyes and are considered endangered.

The dogs normally live in a 1.5 acre exhibit called the Painted Dog Bush Camp that's part of a larger open area called the African Savanna, where elephants, lions and other animals can be seen. Visitors walk onto a deck that is glassed on the sides, but open in front where the railing is located. Visitors can look out at the dogs below.

Zoo officials said there is also a mesh barrier beyond the railing, but Kraus said it was designed to catch small objects such as cameras, and not humans.

In May, some of the dogs crawled under a fence and escaped into a part of the exhibit that's usually closed. The zoo was on lockdown for about an hour as a precaution.

Police and the Allegheny County medical examiner's office are investigating. Baker said the zoo, which has never had a visitor death, will also investigate. She said no decision has been made yet on the future of the exhibit.

Ten African painted dogs were born at the zoo in 2009, and their mother died of a ruptured uterus shortly after delivering the litter. Five of the pups survived. The mortality rate for painted pups is 50 percent, even when born in the wild to a healthy mother.

It was only the second litter to be hand-raised in captivity, along with one in the United Kingdom, zoo officials said at the time."

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1681645
    beautifull animal

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Yeah usually true. Although in a high profile case, finding a lawyer isn't a problem. The lawyer finds you...
    Yeah, that's true. Ah, lawyers. Always doing their civic duty to stand up for the little guy.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Yeah, that's true. Ah, lawyers. Always doing their civic duty to stand up for the little guy.
    Yea, everybody knocks them until they need one.

Fuck, that's the line people use against cop bashing. What have I become!?!?
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

dimedropper
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    I can agree with that.

Just that the kid dying is 1,000x worse
    that's species racist

dimedropper
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabei View Post
    The mother was a moron, pure and simple. Bowie and others have stated how I feel perfectly. I can't even imagine.....I just can't muster too much sympathy for this mother...I mean damn...common sense people...COMMON SENSE! Poor kiddo was cute though. I had hoped the fall killed him...Now I just hope he was unconscious at the time. :(
    common sence isn't so common.Being attacked by a wild pack of dogs has to be one of the worst way's to go.poor little boy,RIP

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loonywop View Post
    that's species racist
    Guilty.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Thread Information