Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Maddox Derkosh (2) killed by African wild dog pack at Pittsburgh Zoo

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleta View Post
    I could never bring myself to actually do it. I only even had to put some little dudes in the freezer once and couldn't sleep that night

One of the multiple reasons I got out of veterinary care. No way I could administer the death blow, no matter how sick they are. I pay other people to do that shit. Wow, this got pretty far off topic.
    I could do it for a person or an animal. It's the guts that I'm worried about.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I had evil mice who ate all their babies. I put them in the backyard. Peace out.

I thought snakes liked their mice alive, maybe im wrong. I didnt know they actually did the whole sock to the wall thing, sounds harsh but ive never worked in a pet store to have ever had that kind of experience.

I believe in putting an animal out of its misery tho so im totally pro on that one. I hate to say it and i love my dogs, more chevy than anything, if they got cancer, it would depend on how far progressed it was. Im not into doing the dog chemo or anything. I would put my dog down.

When you have feeder mice and they get sick, there's no way a pet store could afford to euthanize them all with drugs. The alternative was stepping on them, but then they do squish. And crack. And pop. Ugh.

And some snakes won't do them live (or turtles or frogs or whatever you're trying to feed). Other times, it's more out of concern for your pet. Mice can get pretty feisty when they're being eaten

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    You must be a wizard in the kitchen.

You people are fucking weird.

I'm considering veterinary medicine since I don't give a shit about animal guts but people guts skeeve me a little bit. I would consider it a good choice except I hear restaurant servers make more.
    I feel the same as Morbid, I even remember talking about it in EMT class-people are easier than animals. I can't even watch that show on Animal Planet, about the Animal Control Officers. But I could watch Trauma in the ER all night and not have it bother me.

Except for suctioning-humans-that makes me gag.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Yeah a lot of people don't want their $500 snake torn up by a feeder mouse attacking it. Including me, when I bred designer ball python morphs!

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

snakes are ewwwww.

I have no experience with snakes as pets. I mean, do they get to know you or do you basically just watch them?

Quote Originally Posted by snowfallsoon View Post
    I have no experience with snakes as pets. I mean, do they get to know you or do you basically just watch them?
    People who have snakes will say their snake knows them, but all of their friends will be like, your snake thinks you're a giant mouse.

When you have feeder mice and they get sick, there's no way a pet store could afford to euthanize them all with drugs. The alternative was stepping on them, but then they do squish. And crack. And pop. Ugh.

And some snakes won't do them live (or turtles or frogs or whatever you're trying to feed). Other times, it's more out of concern for your pet. Mice can get pretty feisty when they're being eaten

Carbon Monoxide is cheap. Take the cage outside, next to the car, stretch a piece of garden hose from the car exhaust to the sick animal cage. They will die without suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfallsoon View Post
    I feel the same as Morbid, I even remember talking about it in EMT class-people are easier than animals. I can't even watch that show on Animal Planet, about the Animal Control Officers. But I could watch Trauma in the ER all night and not have it bother me.

Except for suctioning-humans-that makes me gag.
    This just made me gag. I can't. If/when I have to, I don't look. I can suction blood, but if there's any mucous in it. I need an emesis basin.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    Carbon Monoxide is cheap. Take the cage outside, next to the car, stretch a piece of garden hose from the car exhaust to the sick animal cage. They will die without suffering.
    That could take hours. Not very environmentally friendly. And does the car run while the store is open, while customers watch, or does someone stay overnight to do this? Whose car do we use? Where? How do you know for sure they're dead and not unconscious?

Walls don't make them suffer. Neither do freezers.

That could take hours. Not very environmentally friendly. And does the car run while the store is open, while customers watch, or does someone stay overnight to do this? Whose car do we use? Where? How do you know for sure they're dead and not unconscious?

Walls don't make them suffer. Neither do freezers.
    The car can be parked out back. Or, use a generator out back. It's not environmentally friendly, no. You check for a pulse to make sure they are dead, or use a stethoscope to listen for a heartbeat.
    What if they don't die with the first kerplunk? That's a massive headache. Freezing to death in a plastic bag to suffocate seems kind of painful.
    I can't think about it. It makes me horribly sad.

Not all pet stores have a "back." Very hard to check a pulse or heartbeat on a pinky mouse. And I will pass on being the employee exposed to carbon monoxide on a regular basis.

Being paralyzed while drugs seize your heart function doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me. I'd pick a freezer over a lethal injection. This is an awful conversation. Lets go back to talking about the small child being mauled to death. Less depressing.

Not all pet stores have a "back." Very hard to check a pulse or heartbeat on a pinky mouse. And I will pass on being the employee exposed to carbon monoxide on a regular basis.

Being paralyzed while drugs seize your heart function doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me. I'd pick a freezer over a lethal injection. This is an awful conversation. Lets go back to talking about the small child being mauled to death. Less depressing.
    Word

So I will try to link the article, but I read last night that not only is the toddler's mother NOT going to be charged in his death, the judge is going to try to pin this on the zoo.

I was so angry. Still am. And when I've talked to friends today over this, many felt the same but I did get one or two that drew the mother card. "Suffered enough ", they said.
    Guess Maddox didn't matter so much, since his negligent mother can break a safety-rule, get him eaten alive and face no public responsibility for it.

When Maddox Derkosh, 2, was mauled to death after falling into a wild dog exhibit at the Pittsburgh Zoo on Nov. 4, his mom faced harsh criticism. Now, police are saying she won?t be charged with any crimes ? but the zoo is still being investigated

The mother of a Pittsburgh toddler who was mauled to death on Nov. 4 at the Pittsburgh Zoo inside the African painted dogs exhibit won?t be prosecuted in connection with the violent death.

But authorities are still looking into the zoo for possible criminal*negligence.

On Nov. 28,*Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. said the death of Maddox Derkosh, 2, at the zoo was a ?tragic accident.? His mother, Elizabeth Derkosh, 34, brought the boy to the zoo, and lifted him up on the rail at the African painted dogs exhibit on Nov. to see better.

Witnesses say the boy then lunged forward, and fell into the exhibit, where he was attacked by the dogs and died from blood loss.

?Very unfortunately, in this situation, the dogs were doing what the dogs would normally do,? Dr. Baker said during a press conference from the Pittsburgh Zoo on Nov 5.

What do YOU think of the mom not being charged HollyMoms?

? Christina Stiehl

More Maddox Derkosh news:

Am I the only one surprised they don't have tranquilizers on hand for this type of thing? Typically the sensation of being "hit" will send an animal off, and then the tranq will do it's job...

Sorry, I'm just not in complete agreement with shooting an endangered species dead because a kid fell into their territory. ...which, sorry - is COMPLETELY avoidable. I feel bad for the child who had a naive mother.

This leads to my issues with Zoo's, and how they "Disney-fy" the truth of wild-life and natural danger.

Example: "Hey Timmy, let's go to the zoo today and check out the tigers in their cage through this plexi-glass wall! Oh, he's looking at us? Let's hit the plexi-glass wall to get his attention! Let's say Hi to Mr. Tiger!"

Reality: That tiger is fucking bored, and you just annoyed the shit out of him. Now that 500lb animal wants to rip YOUR ass to shreds, and all that's between you is 3 inches of see-through material.

In any case of (zoo animal vs. human), I will always have the zoo animals "side". They don't ask to be there, and they're only doing what their natural instincts call them to do. We're supposedly the superior being, yet we do some of the most careless shit imaginable. People need to understand consequence and accountability.

2 year-old boy mauled to death by wild dogs in zoo after falling into enclosure

A 2-year-old boy was viciously mauled to death by a pack of wild African Painted dogs after he fell into the animals? enclosure at the Pittsburgh Zoo Sunday morning.

Maddox Derkosh had ?no chance? after he lost his balance and tumbled off the railing where his mother placed him to stand.

Maddox apparently fell head first, landing in a netting which was designed to catch small objects, not humans. Maddox bounced off the netting and onto the ground near the dogs.
    Zoo officials said the 11-foot fall didn?t kill Maddox before the dogs disemboweled the little boy. As the dogs attacked the screaming child, zoo officials fired tranquilizer darts and a police officer opened fire, killing one of the wild dogs.

?Unfortunately, the dogs were in pack mentality and not responding to zookeepers efforts to control them,? zoo officials said in a statement.

The African Painted Dogs are the most deadly predatory doglike animals of the Serengeti Plain.

Both parents were sedated after the noon accident on Sunday. ?[The parents] went nowhere without Maddox. I cannot imagine the dark cloud that is following them,? said family neighbor Rachel Majcher.

Hi bonita - already a thread. http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...Pittsburgh-Zoo

If you're not sure, just google someone in the article and mydeathspace and it will come up.

Awh, I thought there was an update. :(

Kid is still dead.

youd all love me i get suctioned 2-5 times a day

The parents of a 2-year-old boy who fell into a wild African dogs exhibit and was mauled to death last fall have sued the Pittsburgh zoo.

The lawsuit filed Thursday claims that officials had ample warning that parents routinely lifted children onto a rail overlooking the exhibit for a better view.

Jason and Elizabeth Derkosh seek unspecified damages in the Nov. 4 death of their son, Maddox. He fell from the wooden railing after his mother lifted him up to get a better look at the painted dogs.

According to the lawsuit, other zoos have more and better safeguards in place to keep children safe while viewing the dogs.

A zoo spokeswoman did not immediately comment.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/51989002/n...k#.UbACOpzwTvM
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    The parents of a 2-year-old boy who fell into a wild African dogs exhibit and was mauled to death last fall have sued the Pittsburgh zoo.

The lawsuit filed Thursday claims that officials had ample warning that parents routinely lifted children onto a rail overlooking the exhibit for a better view.

Jason and Elizabeth Derkosh seek unspecified damages in the Nov. 4 death of their son, Maddox. He fell from the wooden railing after his mother lifted him up to get a better look at the painted dogs.

According to the lawsuit, other zoos have more and better safeguards in place to keep children safe while viewing the dogs.

A zoo spokeswoman did not immediately comment.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/51989002/n...k#.UbACOpzwTvM
    I guess in these folks' mind: $$ > kid. Yay!
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    I guess in these folks' mind: $$ > kid. Yay!
    Maybe they want to try to convince themselves that it's not their fault.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Thread Information