Thread: Lori Blomme (40) collapses during class, dies at hospital

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lori Blomme (40) collapses during class, dies at hospital

Minneapolis teacher, 40, collapses during class, dies at hospital

Lori Blomme, 40, taught at Menlo Park Academy. Her family said she led a busy life and was in good health.

A science teacher at a Minneapolis alternative high school who inspired students "to achieve beyond what they ever believed" collapsed in front of her class this week and died at a hospital later that day.

Lori Blomme, 40, had taught at Menlo Park Academy in northeast Minneapolis since 2003. Blomme collapsed Monday while leading the class, said brother-in-law David Blomme.

In a statement Wednesday afternoon, school district spokeswoman Rachel Hicks said Blomme suffered "a medical emergency."

David Blomme said Lori led a very busy life and was feeling some stress over the family dog's brief disappearance, but she was in good health and took care of herself. He said the family has no immediate clue about why she died and is awaiting autopsy results, which could take weeks to be complete.

Menlo Park Academy, at 1700 NE. 2nd St., has about 70 students in grades 10-12 and has fewer students per classroom than do most high schools.

"Lori was a committed and caring teacher who dedicated so much of herself to the Menlo Park school community," said Helen Henly, the school's director. "She inspired and encouraged students to achieve beyond what they ever believed."

School district crisis-response staff members and others helped the Menlo Park students and faculty cope with the death, Hicks said. Also, staffers at Menlo Park called families that afternoon to relay the news, the district spokeswoman added.

"Lori served many roles to many people, and she filled them with great competence and compassion," Henly said. "Her spirit will continue to be with us, and she will be greatly missed by all of us."

David Blomme said his sister-in-law enjoyed teaching at the nontraditional high school because "she was one who thought she could make a change and could also learn from her students."

Blomme grew up in South Dakota and graduated from Minnesota State University, Mankato in 1996.

She lived in south Minneapolis and is survived by a husband and two daughters, ages 6 and 8. Her funeral is scheduled for Friday at Church of the Holy Name, 3637 11th Av. S., Minneapolis.

http://www.startribune.com/local/176...er=y&vi_adid=W

queen

Member Keann Scissorhands Powley's Avatar
    I live in northeast Minneapolis, not far from where she taught. I think they said on the news she was talking about her dog or how she didn't feel well right before she collapsed in front of the class. Very sad. Rest in peace.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    OMG her poor daughters. I hope they find out the reason for her death, that is too sad. RIP Mrs. Blomme.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Very sad I love her squishy faced Boston

Obituary

Lori Anne Hoebelheinrich Blomme was a beloved wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend. She passed away on Oct. 29, 2012. Lori was born on Aug. 6, 1972, to Deanna Bertrand and Myron Hoebelheinrich and was baptized at Sacred Heart Church in Yankton, S.D. Even as a child, Lori was a leader, and always kept all of her siblings in line! She graduated from Yankton Public High School in 1990. As a teenager, she gained a strong work ethic as a cashier at Sunshine Foods.

She graduated from Minnesota State University, Mankato in 1996 with a bachelor's degree in ecology and environmental science. She met her husband, Dean Blomme, in 1996 at a Fourth of July party. She called her mother and said, "Mom, I think I finally found him!" They were married in an outdoor ceremony in the Black Hills on June 22, 2002. We will always remember how as a bride, Lori ran barefoot in the rain, playing tag with her nieces and nephews!

Lori began her adventure as a mother with the births of Olivia on Sept. 27, 2004, and Madeline (Maddie) on July 1, 2006. Lori filled the girls lives with wonderful memories of reading books, doing science and art projects, playing at the beach and playgrounds, gardening, and more. One of Olivia and Maddie's favorite memories of their mom is going on trips, especially their recent trip to Yellowstone.

She completed work on her master's degree of education from the University of Minnesota in 2003. She made a difference in the lives of students and colleagues at Menlo Park Academy High School for the last nine years where she was a science teacher, a mentor, and a friend.

Lori was an avid reader who loved learning new things and teaching others. She had many hobbies and interests, including gardening, cooking, camping, knitting and other crafts. She was a lover of nature and the great outdoors, and went on many camping trips throughout her life. As an active member of her church and her community, Lori shared her many gifts with others as a volunteer.

Lori is preceded in death by her maternal grandfather, Wilbert Braunesreither, and her paternal grandparents, Urban and Bernadine Hoebelheinrich. Lori will be forever loved and missed by her husband Dean; daughters Olivia and Maddie; parents Deanna and Ray Bertrand of Yankton, SD, and Myron and Carole Hoebelheinrich of Cody, WY; siblings Steven Hoebelheinrich of Yankton, SD, Lisa Hoebelheinrich of Sioux City, IA, and Leslie Hoebelheinrich of Sioux Falls, SD; step-siblings Carrie McCoy of Rapid City, SD, Annie Jacobsen of Aberdeen, SD, Nicole Day, and Chris White; maternal grandmother, Gladys Braunesreither of Yankton, SD; and many relatives, in-laws, and friends.

Mass of Christian Burial is at 11 a.m. today at Church of the Holy Name, 3637 11th Ave. S., Minneapolis. Arrangements with Thomson Dougherty Mansion 2535 Park Avenue, Minneapolis, 612-871-4407

http://www.marshallindependent.com/p....html?nav=5016

Teacher Lori Blomme (40) collapsed and died in her classroom

Students and teachers at a school in northeast Minneapolis are grieving after a teacher collapsed and died in front of her class.

Lori Blomme, better known to her students as Ms. Lori, taught at Menlo Park Academy for more than seven years. Students at the alternative high school say Monday started as a regular day.

"In the beginning of the day, she was the same old Lori -- a great smile on her face," said Marshaun Williams, a sophomore in Blomme's class.

However, Williams said Blomme mentioned she felt faint during third hour. She was standing at the board in front of the class when she collapsed. About ten students were in her class at the time, and some ran to other teachers and the principal to get help.

"We didn't know what to do," Williams said. "She just said she was going to faint. We did the best thing we could do and get help."

Students were moved into the school gym while paramedics moved Blomme to the hospital. She died at the age of 40 before her husband could get to her.

"I don't think anyone thought anything was serious," family friend Gloria Tollefson told FOX 9 News. "Her heart just stopped. We don't know why."

Family members say Blomme was fit, went to the doctor regularly and even biked to work across Minneapolis. The only unusual start to her day was another search before school because her family dog ran away last week.

"It's just heart-wrenching," Tollefson said. "The little girls were going door to door and passing out flyers and saying, 'If you have my dog, please give us a call.'"

Blomme was so much more than a teacher. She was also a wife and mother of 8-year-old and 6-year-old daughters. Family members say she was passionate about everything from church to gardening.

"She wanted to be a teacher because she was always learning," said Sandy Sester.

After Blomme's death was announced to students on Tuesday morning several told us she truly made a difference.

"She was the best teacher," said Darrian Lenoir. "I did my best to try and pass her class. I'm up there now, and I'm happy."

Students say even though she was strict, she was well-loved.

"She was a great teacher. She was the best teacher anyone could ask for," Williams said. "She was always on you about your work, though. She didn't play about the work. She always wanted you to get your work done."

Family members say love from those students means more than they'll ever know. Late tonight, the family's missing dog was returned. They are grateful, but admit the healing has a long way to go.

"She was a person who lived for what she could do for everybody," said Blomme's brother-in-law, Rick Blomme. "Absolute unsung hero -- when they say love in a million, she definitely fit that bill."

Family is in the process of setting up a fund. Starting Wednesday, donations can be made to any Wells Fargo location under the name Lori Blomme Memorial Fund.

MINNEAPOLIS PUBLIC SCHOOLS STATEMENT

In the morning of October 29, 2012, teacher Lori Blomme experienced a medical emergency in a classroom at Menlo Park Alternative High School and later passed away.

The passing of a member of a school community can be difficult for students, families and staff members. Minneapolis Public Schools (MPS) crisis recovery staff members provided support to the program this week, along with support professionals connected with Menlo Park. Staff and leadership at Menlo Park made personal phone calls to families the afternoon of October 29 to inform them of the incident.

Lori began teaching at Menlo Park as a science teacher in 2003. Because Menlo Park is a contract alternative school, she was not an MPS employee. She was, however, part of the MPS community.

Menlo Park and MPS express condolences to Lori's family, friends, coworkers and students.

Read more: Menlo Park Academy teacher collapses in class, dies - KMSP-TV http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story...#ixzz2BlkHHOzz
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

How terribly sad. Sounds like she was well loved by her family and her students. It's sometimes hard for teachers to relate to the kids and it sounds like this teacher did that well. Such a shame.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. - Mark Twain

I feel bad for the students that had to witness it. She sounds like a great lady and a great teacher.

Thread Information