Thread: Texas man crashed car into church, beats pastor to death with electric guitar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Texas man crashed car into church, beats pastor to death with electric guitar

FOREST HILL - A longtime Baptist pastor was fatally beaten inside his Forest Hill church Monday morning, and the suspect later died in the back of a patrol car, according to police and MedStar.

Pastor Danny Kirk was apparently inside Greater Sweethome Missionary Baptist Church, 7312 Forest Hill Drive, about 11:15 a.m. when a vehicle crashed into the side of the building.

Police Chief Dan Dennis said they believe the attack on the pastor began in the parking lot of the church, and then moved inside the church, eventually ending in the music room. When officers arrived, they found the man beating Kirk with an electric guitar, Dennis said.

An officer fired his Taser to end the assault, Dennis said. The suspect was placed in the back of a patrol car. When officers later returned to the car, he wasn't breathing, said MedStar spokesman Matt Zavadsky.

A janitor was attacked outside the church and was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. A church secretary was also inside the building but locked herself in a storage closet and was not injured, Dennis said.

Authorities have not released the identities of anyone involved. Church members identified Kirk as the pastor.

Paramedics were on the scene Monday afternoon treating multiple grief-stricken patients.

Dennis said that police weren't yet sure of the motive but that robbery hasn't been ruled out. He said he they don't believe that the suspect was a church member but that he might have had family members who are members of the congregation.

Associate minister Claudie Loftin praised Kirk's leadership at the church.

"He had a hug for everyone," Loftin said. "If you came in this church, you got a hug, no matter how long the line was. He was a man of honesty and integrity, and he showed it every day."

Kirk was ordained in 1984 and started the Forest Hill church in 1995, according to the church's website.

The church has more than 850 members and offers a food pantry, a clothing ministry and a scholarship program for students. Members were planning an expansion, largely due to the leadership of Kirk.

"People wanted to come hear and see him," youth minister Cleveland Starr said.

The pastor also was a chaplain in the Fort Worth school district.

He grew up in the Central Texas city of Marlin before moving to the Forest Hill area, Starr said.

"He was a faithful man, a religious man, who loved his family," Starr said. "You could find him at the other church or somewhere nearby. He always had time for everyone."

Staff writer Domingo Ramirez Jr. contributed to this report.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/10...#storylink=cpy

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/10...-to-death.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    This was on the news yesterday, very sad. They say the victim and perp didn't know each other. I wonder what the hell happened that caused him to do something like this. Mr. Kirk I pray you rest in peace.

More on the story below:

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/tarra...176525311.html

FOREST HILL — The tears were flowing at a candlelight vigil Tuesday night, but a remarkably strong 17-year-old boy asked the congregation of Greater Sweethome Missionary Baptist Church to smile instead of cry... because it's what his father would want.
    Danny Kirk Jr. spoke with wisdom and poise that belied his youth.
    "I know we are broken-hearted; I know we are a little sad; but I want you to put a smile on your face," he said. "If my Daddy was here, he'd be smiling next to me."
    "Daddy, I am not gonna bring shame to your name," Danny added. "You named me Danny Kirk Jr. for a reason," he said to a fired-up crowd of hundreds on the steps of the church where his father was been beaten to death just one day earlier.
    Police said 33-year-old Derrick Birdow Sr. crashed his car into the church, then beat the elder Kirk and the church's janitor using an electric guitar he found inside the church's music room.
    Kirk died from his injuries.
    Birdow was Tased by police, then died later at a hospital.
    Like Pastor Kirk, Birdow had one son who bears his name. Derrick Birdow Jr., 14, wept as he recalled the final conversation he had with his father on Sunday night.
    "He was telling me he loved me, to not ever get out on the streets, to go to high school, to graduate, to do better," Derrick said.
    The young man's mother, Toya Smiley, said his father had not been acting like himself the past few weeks. She described almost a paranoid state.
    "My heart goes out to Pastor Kirk and his family. We are hurting, too. And I just know my baby's daddy would never do something like that," Smiley said, comforting her sobbing son. "I just wish we'd get some answers. That is not his character at all."
    At Tuesday's vigil, no one mentioned Birdow's name. They simply prayed for strength and peace.
    "You are still here in my back pocket," Danny Kirk Jr. said. "If I need you, Daddy, I can remember going down this street you telling me how to live my life. So, Daddy, I am not gonna do you wrong."
    E-mail twoodard@wfaa.com
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

i think this is his fb - http://www.facebook.com/#!/derrick.birdow?fref=ts but there is nothing you can see on it
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Thread Information