Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Nanny Yoselyn Ortega (50), stabbed Lulu (6) and Leo (2) Krim to death and put their bodies in a bathtub

The nanny was naturalized a citizen here 10 years ago according to media reports.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    The nanny was naturalized a citizen here 10 years ago according to media reports.
    Bigots aren't one for facts unless it's minority crime statistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Please stop trying to sway racist opinions with your "facts". Don't you know that people are allowed to think whatever that want despite all evidence to the contrary!

Since the dr's cant find any reason for the nanny to not be speaking and her tox screen was negative, I wanna know if she is 'faking' it right now? Or maybe she is in shock herself? Im grasping with that one but I am curious.

I imagined that she had to be legal since she flew to DR and came back with the family. If you come here from DR and have no papers it's kinda hard to get on a plane.
    And this story is horrifying. I hate it. I makes me so sad. I can even imagine and I hate to imagine there is such evil in the world. Between this, the autumn story and Jessica ridgeway story I just dont know what to think about people. Ugh

When I heard that the mom walked in while holding her daughter and saw that scene I can't imagine how that could've played out.
    God how life just flips on a dime.

Hearing that the nanny is in a catatonic state is scary. My mom who is religious swears that she may be possessed. Some Dominicans practice santaria and they get these fucking ideas in their head that the devil enters children. I have heard of moms putting their own child in an oven to "save them from the devil" or making the child drink something that is clearly poisonous to get rid of the devil.
    I would not be surprised to hear that she was trying to cut out the devil and in her insane state was trying to cut it out of herself. Or something as equally insane.

My mom doesn't believe in santaria but she believes the devil exists and creates a break from sanity for these things to occur. Ugh. Fucking crazy bullshit. I hate that people can be capable of such evil acts.

Im glad you said it but possession is something i wonder about with people who do such crazy stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    Im glad you said it but possession is something i wonder about with people who do such crazy stuff like this.
    What. Schizophrenia was frequently misdiagnosed as demonic possession, you know, before science.

My guess is she's had a full psychotic break and that's why she's not talking. And I don't think a person who suddenly loses it, kills two kids and then slits her own throat has to fake being crazy.

Haha. My mom put me in a dishwasher, but she is schizo, not possessed. Plus schizos are often very religious, so they may bring up the devil stuff often. My mom has religious delusions all the damn time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

Please stop trying to sway racist opinions with your "facts". Don't you know that people are allowed to think whatever that want despite all evidence to the contrary!
    Hell yeah, 'merica!!!!
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

What. Schizophrenia was frequently misdiagnosed as demonic possession, you know, before science.

My guess is she's had a full psychotic break and that's why she's not talking. And I don't think a person who suddenly loses it, kills two kids and then slits her own throat has to fake being crazy.
    Im not saying that she is possessed but when stuff like this happens, it does cross my mind. I mean, I believe there are people who have been possessed but that's just a part of my thinking.

What I had also said was that I wonder if the nanny herself is in shock over what she did. I don't know everything about schizophrenia or anything but I imagine the thoughts that go thru some of their minds are a lot scarier than what a 'normal' person imagines.

I did say tho that i wondered about her being catatonic when they have no medical evidence to back up why she is that way right now. I dont know how they diagnose shock but that's my first real thought. Im sure you are right, she had a full breakdown and completly lost it but not many of us can wrap our minds around why a person chooses to kill children.

Thats scary! They had her in their home for 2 years!

they said the little girl tried to defend herself

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...all-apart.html

Oh dear god.

Catatonia can be another symptom of schizophrenia, particularly.
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    i absolutely hate the fact that they took pics of the mother when she was crying in the ambulance, and then posted them. seems so invasive and unnecessary. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Quote Originally Posted by neenerneener View Post
    i absolutely hate the fact that they took pics of the mother when she was crying in the ambulance, and then posted them. seems so invasive and unnecessary. :(
    This. Odd as it may seem in one who spends her spare time stalking the newly dead, I am always appalled at the way the media intrudes on the families. If they want to go on TV and talk about their tragedy, fine... But to be sticking a mic in the faces of the bereaved "how did you feel when the dingo took your baby?" is just cruel.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by neenerneener View Post
    I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

No Charges Yet for Hospitalized Nanny

Law enforcement officials say there is little, if any, doubt that Yoselyn Ortega, a nanny for three children in Manhattan, fatally stabbed two of those children inside their Upper West Side apartment.

And yet on Saturday — more than 48 hours after the children’s mother, Marina Krim, returned home to find her 2-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter dead in the bathroom — Ms. Ortega still had not been charged.

The reason, according to police investigators, was not lack of evidence.

Ms. Ortega, who stabbed herself in the throat and slashed her wrists with a kitchen knife, according to the police, remained hospitalized at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center on Saturday evening. She was conscious but intubated and unable to talk. Therefore, investigators could not question her, said Paul J. Browne, the chief spokesman for the Police Department.

“We wouldn’t charge a hospitalized suspect under these circumstances until an interview was conducted after consulting with doctors on the subject’s condition,” Mr. Browne wrote in an e-mail on Saturday. “Obviously an interview can’t take place when somebody’s intubated.”

Toxicology tests on Ms. Ortega came back negative for narcotics and alcohol, a law enforcement official said Saturday. On Friday, investigators searched Ms. Ortega’s Hamilton Heights apartment.

Relatives of Ms. Ortega told investigators that she had not seemed herself lately and that she had sought help from a mental health professional; Ms. Ortega, 50, was also burdened with financial woes, the police have said.

On Thursday about 3:15 p.m., Ms. Krim left her apartment to take her 3-year-old daughter, Nessie, to a swimming lesson at a pool on Amsterdam Avenue.

The plan was for Ms. Krim to later meet up with Ms. Ortega and her other two children, Lucia and Leo, at a dance studio on West 68th Street, where Lucia had a lesson. Ms. Krim arrived at the studio about 4:45 p.m., but they were not there.

Thinking she missed them, Ms. Krim, with Nessie, returned to the family’s apartment on West 75th Street. Ms. Krim walked into the bathroom and saw Ms. Ortega plunging a kitchen knife into her throat; Leo and Lucia were dead in the bathtub, the police said.

People magazine reported Saturday evening that the children’s father, Kevin Krim, a CNBC executive, had sent a text message to friends.

“Thanks for your concern,” Mr. Krim, 37, wrote, according to the magazine. “Nessie woke up this morning and is doing fine. We’re obviously heartbroken.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/ny...ings.html?_r=0

UGH! Those poor children suffered and bled out. UGH UGH UGH!!

And WTF is with the Latex Gloves laying in the street in front of the building? UGH again!

Actually, it's a huge advantage probably that they have the other child and something to work for and a reason to try and resume normality.
    Bowie, I love you to death, but what??
    "Normality"???
    lol. That just can't happen. Ever. For these parents.

But seriously, I haven't posted here for a while and I come back every once in a while when something like this happens that I just have to talk about. This. THIS. I was crying at my desk at work yesterday.

I totally understand working parents, as I am one, but like, this is why I am so, so grateful that I don't have to give my child to a stranger every day. I don't think I could do it. I realize that these instances are few and far between, and I also realize that parents kill their children every day (which I could never understand.) But when I finally had a kid, the first thing I tried to start figuring out was what I could do so I would NOT have to put him in the care of someone else every day. I am so thankful that I don't have to do that - and it DEFINITELY involves some sacrifice but whatever. Not judging these parents at all, but I just don't think i could ever give Gage up every day to someone that wasn't his dad.

Well, reading all the articles, I don't even think she was a working mom. It sounds like she was one of the wealthy NY moms who hires a nanny to help them wrangle the kids. (I had friends who nannied for stay-at-home 'mom' rich people who had three nannies to two kids). It says she was their primary caretaker up until the third kid. I can understand that. If I was trying to watch over three kids at once and had the ability to hire an assistant, I would.
    From everything I read she stayed at home until last year and went back to work as a pediatrician. But yeah. I think it's nuts that anyone who had the ability to stay at home without financial consequences to raise their children wouldn't. I'm judgy like that.

Life was in chaos for nanny accused in killings

She was unraveling. Yoselyn Ortega's home was an crowded tenement in Harlem that she yearned to leave. She shared the apartment with her teenage son, a sister and a niece, and roamed the halls selling cheap cosmetics and jewelry for extra money. She had been forced to relinquish a new apartment for her and her son and move back. A woman had chiseled her on a debt. Neighbors found her sulky and remote. She seemed to be losing weight.

Juan Pozo, 67, a car service driver who used to rent a room in her apartment, said he spoke to her sister Friday, who told him that Ortega had not been feeling well lately, "that she felt like she was losing her mind."

He said the family had taken her to see a psychologist, an account shared by others, including the police.

This was the unfinished portrait that began to emerge Friday of Ortega, the Manhattan nanny who, the authorities said, committed the unthinkable.

On Thursday around 5:30 p.m., Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said, Marina Krim returned to her Upper West Side apartment with her 3-year-old daughter to discover her two other children, a 2-year-old boy and a 6-year-old girl, dead of knife wounds in the bathtub and Ortega slashing herself with the same bloodied kitchen knife used on the children.

Ortega, 50, survived, but the police have been unable to question her because she remains in the hospital in a medically induced coma, a deep stab wound in her throat. She has not yet been charged.

The authorities remain mystified over the motive. Paul J. Browne, the chief police spokesman, said family members had told detectives that Ortega "over the last couple of months was not herself."

''She was, according to others, seeking some professional help," he said, adding, "There were financial concerns."

Ortega, who the police said was a naturalized U.S. citizen from the Dominican Republic, had worked for the Krims for about two years. She had been referred by another family, the police said, and did not come through an agency, which customarily does background checks. A law enforcement official said Ortega had had no previous brushes with the law, nor have detectives learned of any tensions in her relationship with the Krims.

''No fighting with the mom, the family, the kids," the official said. "Everybody is looking for a reason here." He added, "We've got nothing bad other than the fact that she killed two children."

On Friday, the sort of memorial with stuffed animals and flowers that has become sadly familiar in the aftermath of a city tragedy took shape outside the Krim apartment building, as parents pondered what to say to their own children. Disbelief was pervasive in the neighborhood.

''I don't have words for something like that," said William Davila, whose daughter is a fifth-grader at Public School 87, which Lucia Krim, 6, had attended.

The children's father, Kevin Krim, was returning from a business trip Thursday when he was met by the police at the airport.

Kevin Krim learned that his youngest child, Leo, 2, and his daughter Lucia, known as Lulu, had died and that the police had arrested the nanny with whom the Krims were so close that they had traveled to her home in the Dominican Republic. He is an executive at CNBC. Marina Krim did not work but taught an occasional art class at the Museum of Natural History. On Thursday night, CNBC put the Krims up in a hotel.

William Krim, 74, Kevin Krim's father, said the parents had not returned to their apartment.

"I don't know if they ever will," he said. "I don't know if I could."

A spokeswoman for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Dr. Charles S. Hirsch, said that Lucia had died of "multiple stab and incise wounds" and that her brother, Leo, of "incise wounds of the neck." They had been clothed, a law enforcement official said, suggesting that Ortega had not been bathing the children.

For about 30 years, according to neighbors, Ortega has lived in a six-story tenement building in Harlem. Before the nanny job, they said, she had worked in factories and as a cleaning lady. A neighbor said the sister she lived with was a taxi driver.

This year, Maria Lajara, 41, a friend who lives in the building, said Ortega had stopped by to tell her how happy she was that she had found a new apartment in the Bronx for herself and her son. She said that Ortega had conveyed how much she loved working for the Krims and that she was paid and treated well. Also this year, she said, the Krims had given Ortega an Ann Taylor handbag as a gift.

Nannies who work near one another often form social networks, setting up joint play dates or meeting at playgrounds. But most other nannies in the Krim building said they were unfamiliar with Ortega.

One nanny, Terla Duran, 35, said she did not know Ortega, but a friend who is a nanny did.

''Not many of us knew her. They say she was very strange," Duran said. "She spent most of her time locked up inside the apartment."

Once she moved to the Bronx, Ortega stayed in touch with Lajara, her friend. She would tell Lajara to save copies of a religious magazine, Rayo de Luz, which Ortega's sister would then take to her.

Twice, Ortega asked Lajara to pray that a woman would pay her for makeup she had given her to sell. The amount, Lajara said, was about $100, and it was important to her.

Within the past few months, Ortega returned to live with her sister. Fernando Mercado, the superintendent of the Harlem building, said she had been renting the Bronx apartment from an acquaintance who moved to the Dominican Republic. But the tenant returned and threw out Ortega.

''She spent a lot of money on the Bronx apartment," Mercado said of Ortega.

Neighbors on Riverside Drive said that in recent weeks, Ortega had looked older, anxious, harried. Ruben Rivas, one of the neighbors, described her as "kind of devastated."

He last saw her two weeks ago.

''She was in bad shape," he said. "Skinny."

Neighbors said she walked faster in the hallways and was withdrawn. She had been known as a gregarious woman who, they said, greeted them with shouts of "Hola, vecina" ? "Hello, neighbor." But now, they said, she avoided eye contact and said little.

Kenia Galo, 25, who has known her all her life, would see her in the elevator lately and remark that she looked tired.

''I am tired," she would reply. "Work."

Neighbors said she would leave the building at 5:30 or 6 a.m. and not return for 12 hours.

Ana Bonet, 40, a neighbor, said that besides her nanny job, Ortega sold inexpensive jewelry and makeup to neighbors. Others said she also earned money by cooking rice and chicken dishes for parties.

The Krim parents were both Californians who have been married for about nine years. Marina Krim grew up in Manhattan Beach, and Kevin Krim in Thousand Oaks, where he was a football star. They met at an Italian restaurant in Venice Beach when he worked at McKinsey & Co. in Los Angeles and she worked for a wholesaler of powders.

Kevin Krim took a job at Yahoo in San Francisco, where they lived before moving to New York about three years ago. After first being employed at Bloomberg LP, Kevin Krim moved to CNBC.

According to Kevin Krim's parents, Ortega was hired about six months after the Krims came to New York. They did not know what vetting the couple did.

''We're just the most stunned people in the world ? I mean, they treated this woman so well," said William Krim, who lists Marina Krim in his cellphone as "World's Best Mom."

Although Marina Krim did not work, Kevin Krim's parents said, they wanted a nanny to help out. Sometimes, Marina Krim would take the two older children out with her, leaving the youngest with Ortega, whom they called Josie.

An acquaintance of Kevin Krim's said he had been extremely happy in California and often lamented the difficulties of family life in New York and how it was necessary for a big family to have help.

Karen Krim, Kevin Krim's mother, said Marina Krim was very much a hands-on mother.

''They're both very careful," she said. "She didn't even leave the kids that much alone with this nanny; that's the irony of all this."

She added: "She didn't have a nanny so she could go out and play tennis ? not that there's anything wrong with that. But she was always with the kids, and Josie just helped her because, with three little kids, it's really hard."

When the Krims took family vacations, they paid to fly the nanny to Santo Domingo to visit her family. One time, they accompanied her because Ortega wanted them to meet her family.

Marina Krim maintained a blog, on which she chronicled "life with the little Krim kids." Charlotte Friedman, a retiree who lives in the Krims' building, may have been the last person to see the children alive. She did not know the members of the family but would periodically bump into them. Around 5 p.m. Thursday, she said, she entered the elevator, heading for her seventh-floor apartment, at the same time as the nanny and the children.

She asked the girl if she had been on a play date. The child replied that she had been dancing. Friedman described the girl as "happy, happy, happy."

The times she had encountered Ortega, she found her cold. There in the elevator, she said, the nanny smiled but said nothing. And then, she and the children got off on the second floor.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2012...2#.UI0q2_n4IiR

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrantonBranch View Post
    Bowie, I love you to death, but what??
    "Normality"???
    lol. That just can't happen. Ever. For these parents.

But seriously, I haven't posted here for a while and I come back every once in a while when something like this happens that I just have to talk about. This. THIS. I was crying at my desk at work yesterday.

I totally understand working parents, as I am one, but like, this is why I am so, so grateful that I don't have to give my child to a stranger every day. I don't think I could do it. I realize that these instances are few and far between, and I also realize that parents kill their children every day (which I could never understand.) But when I finally had a kid, the first thing I tried to start figuring out was what I could do so I would NOT have to put him in the care of someone else every day. I am so thankful that I don't have to do that - and it DEFINITELY involves some sacrifice but whatever. Not judging these parents at all, but I just don't think i could ever give Gage up every day to someone that wasn't his dad.
    I think just the most normality as possible for that child. They can't give up because they have her and can kind of try to make her life somewhat "normal."
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrantonBranch View Post
    From everything I read she stayed at home until last year and went back to work as a pediatrician. But yeah. I think it's nuts that anyone who had the ability to stay at home without financial consequences to raise their children wouldn't. I'm judgy like that.
    What? Some people actually want careers and to balance both. So a woman can't aspire to being a doctor, lawyer, etc. AND have children in your mind, because it's one or the other? That's pretty backwards.

Im not wealthy and I have the ability to stay at home with my kids but I don't agree that just because someone can afford to stay at home with their kids, they should.
    Some people DO need to be able to function in a career of their choice.

This mom sounds to me like she was a very hands on mom and she just had the nanny to help her out. I can't judge that at all. I think it's awesome that she was able to afford to have a nanny. I mean there are plenty of times that my 3 boys wants individual time with me and it's hard with all three to juggle that when your husband works ALL. THE. TIME to provide for us.

I went back to work in Sept after being at home for 10 months with my baby and I honestly have never felt better. I feel normal again and have a gazillion times more energy. I know it's not for everyone, but I think that being at work (albeit part time), makes me a better mother all round. We could probably afford for me not to work but life is just easier and more enjoyable for everyone all round if I do.
    Last edited by Olivia; 10-28-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Thread Information