Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Nanny Yoselyn Ortega (50), stabbed Lulu (6) and Leo (2) Krim to death and put their bodies in a bathtub

EhhhhI think maybe it was tasteless publishing them, but not taking them. That's what photo journalism is all about. Capturing those moments of anguish and grief. Look at war photography. Look at this iconic image from Vietnam:

Photo journalists take pictures of people in the moment of great tragedy all the time.

They are the iconic images that make us relate to the pain.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Yes, but totally different when it's done to Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    wut, Baylee Almon was American.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

I bet if you talked to that dad, he's not feeling so great about it. Most people do not kill. That is why the ones who did, regardless of what they say is their motivation, make the news. I would never want to murder anyone. The minute you sink to their level, you're just scum playing god like they are. Always take the high road.

There's a reason a significant portion of the population who has lost loved ones to violent crimes oppose the death penalty.
    This is not exactly the same thing, but I was watching an episode of I Survived (Ron, you were there) and this woman was attacked by a hit man hired by her husband and managed to overpower him (she bit his balls, I think) and ended up killing him. At the end of the show, she started crying about how she couldn't deal with taking a life, and she was robbed of something by doing it. It's like a textbook case of justified, but she still felt that way. I bet most people would.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    wut, Baylee Almon was American.
    TL;DR

(caps)

Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    This is not exactly the same thing, but I was watching an episode of I Survived (Ron, you were there) and this woman was attacked by a hit man hired by her husband and managed to overpower him (she bit his balls, I think) and ended up killing him. At the end of the show, she started crying about how she couldn't deal with taking a life, and she was robbed of something by doing it. It's like a textbook case of justified, but she still felt that way. I bet most people would.
    I'll never forget her. I'll cross the street if I see her coming. Ha. Bitch is Alias in real life. "WHO SENT YOU!?!"

Yea, people talk a big game, but if killing would-be-thieves were really that appealing, it would happen WAY more often. Taking a life is reserved for special circumstances, and those circumstances usually involve your own life or the life of someone you care about...not your iPad.

ETA: Oh, and I believe she clapped him with a hammer, then choked him out. And the best part is he said "Oh, you got some fight in you. This is gonna be fun." Yea, dude, maybe not. You suck at your job. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    I'll never forget her. I'll cross the street if I see her coming. Ha. Bitch is Alias in real life. "WHO SENT YOU!?!"

Yea, people talk a big game, but if killing would-be-thieves were really that appealing, it would happen WAY more often. Taking a life is reserved for special circumstances, and those circumstances usually involve your own life or the life of someone you care about...not your iPad.
    Yeah I mean, kill or be killed, fine. That doesn't mean you're gonna be ok with it even if you are justified.

Taking a life is reserved for special circumstances, and those circumstances usually involve your own life or the life of someone you care about...not your iPad.
    Which is exactly what I'm saying. I highly doubt that if I were ever put in this situation I would do a little "Ha Ha I killed you" jig and move on with my life. I'm sure it would affect me, but if I walked in on my nanny stabbing my children and killed her with my own bare hands, would I lose sleep over the loss of her life? Probably not. I'd like to think I would be above it, but I have no idea how vengeful I would be if faced with this type of thing. I do know if someone killed a family member of mine I don't think I would be able to be in the same room with them. Ever. Forgiveness is not a strong suit of mine.

I totally saw that episode of I Survived too. Bitch was bad ass.

Yes, I think that woman is the rule, not the exception. Most people, fortunately, do not have it within them to take a life, and when they do, they are filled with horror and grief. This is what separates us from psychopaths.

Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    Yeah I mean, kill or be killed, fine. That doesn't mean you're gonna be ok with it even if you are justified.
    But you're gonna be fine with it if someone is running away with your purse!?!? That's fucking scary if you are. No joke.

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    Which is exactly what I'm saying. I highly doubt that if I were ever put in this situation I would do a little "Ha Ha I killed you" jig and move on with my life. I'm sure it would affect me, but if I walked in on my nanny stabbing my children and killed her with my own bare hands, would I lose sleep over the loss of her life? Probably not. I'd like to think I would be above it, but I have no idea how vengeful I would be if faced with this type of thing. I do know if someone killed a family member of mine I don't think I would be able to be in the same room with them. Ever. Forgiveness is not a strong suit of mine.
    Haha dance a jig. That's the shit people talk though.

Now I'm wondering how that dad feels about choking that would-be-molester out. Let's not forget, his kid witnessed that shit. These actions have consequences, guys.

Yes, I think that woman is the rule, not the exception. Most people, fortunately, do not have it within them to take a life, and when they do, they are filled with horror and grief. This is what separates us from psychopaths.
    Why do you hate America? Thieves are scummm!!11!!11!1! DIE!!1!!!1!

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    I cant imagine surviving the death of my child, or my taking another life. I agree
    That said, I know myself well enough to know I could absolutely lose my fucking mind on someone i saw hurting my child. Doesnt mean it would not eat me up. I just know myself and I would snap.
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

While I think it was an intrusion of privacy, the photos probably worked in this woman's favour. It showed her raw and obviously genuine grief for her kids. And removed (or partly removed) the image that some people have of women that hire nannies as being uncaring, too busy for children etc.

The day I realized I needed a career change was when I was a reporter for the newspaper and they assigned me a story about a little boy who got hit by a church van. I had to call the driver and ask him how he felt, etc. I couldn't do it. I called once, and his wife said he didn't want to talk, so I gave up after that. Got reamed out. I mean, I'm all for being nosy, but there's a line, imo.

The day I realized I needed a career change was when I was a reporter for the newspaper and they assigned me a story about a little boy who got hit by a church van. I had to call the driver and ask him how he felt, etc. I couldn't do it. I called once, and his wife said he didn't want to talk, so I gave up after that. Got reamed out. I mean, I'm all for being nosy, but there's a line, imo.

Geez! Why would they want you to call the driver?! That's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    ..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    Geez! Why would they want you to call the driver?! That's insane.
    To get a good story.

To get a good story.
    Nope. I could NEVER do that. They'd have to fire me.

To get a good story.
    WTF?! That is not a good story. That's terrible. Assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    ..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

Actually, that is the nature of headline journalism and if you don't have the stomach for it, it's not for you. But there wouldn't be any news if everyone was respecting other people's privacy. That's just how it works, and every single person here reads those articles and wants more, more, more from the victims and so on. So it's slightly hypocritical to shake a finger at that when you are reading it and perpetuating the need for it.

I deal with similar issues at my job all the time. Our job is to rile people up and make them look bad. Eventually you just come to a place where you convince yourself that everyone is so dumb to fall for the same trick that they basically deserve it.

Actually, that is the nature of headline journalism and if you don't have the stomach for it, it's not for you. But there wouldn't be any news if everyone was respecting other people's privacy. That's just how it works, and every single person here reads those articles and wants more, more, more from the victims and so on. So it's slightly hypocritical to shake a finger at that when you are reading it and perpetuating the need for it.

I deal with similar issues at my job all the time. Our job is to rile people up and make them look bad. Eventually you just come to a place where you convince yourself that everyone is so dumb to fall for the same trick that they basically deserve it.
    That's what I was thinking. Calling him is that big of a deal? What the fuck?

There are lines that shouldn't be crossed. I'm fine with reading the news stories, do I need to see photos of the grieving family? Fuck no. Do I need to read an interview from a driver who accidentally killed someone?? Absolutely not. I don't want more more more from any of these stories, I don't want to see the pictures of Travis Alexander dead on his bathroom floor, and I hate the photo you posted of the dead little girl from the Oklahoma City Bombing. Death of children, someone's family member, etc, doesn't need to be glorified with any photos in my opinion. Stick to the story of the facts, there's no need to bother the ones who are grieving. If they seek it out and WANT to do an interview, fine, they're more than welcome to, but calling someone who is clearly in distress, or publishing photos of a mother who just lost two of her babies, is inappropriate. Period. We can agree to disagree on this one.

That's what I was thinking. Calling him is that big of a deal? What the fuck?
    Exactly what Bowie said- I'm not shaking a finger, but it's just not for me.

I mean, Deb, you are just wrong as far as what constitutes a good piece of journalism. Everyone wants that emotional angle. It's not really an opinion. So when you read something, you skip over any family commentary because they shouldn't have been bothered? no, you just don't consider that someone had to hop a fence and ring the doorbell of a grieving relative to get that bite. That's the background.

I mean, Deb, you are just wrong as far as what constitutes a good piece of journalism. Everyone wants that emotional angle. It's not really an opinion. So when you read something, you skip over any family commentary because they shouldn't have been bothered? no, you just don't consider that someone had to hop a fence and ring the doorbell of a grieving relative to get that bite. That's the background.
    Well I guess it's a good thing I didn't go into journalism then.

Thread Information