Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chelsea Thornton 23, 'shot son, 3, drowned her daughter, 4, and then took a bus to hospital as she had a headache'

Okay, so having a mental disorder means they should have their children taken away? There are A LOT of people with bipolar and/or schizophrenic disorders that don't murder their children. Homicidal tendencies is not even a symptom. People who are depressed (also classified as a mental disorder) are more prone to homicidal tendencies than the schizophrenic or bipolar.

You just can't try to take away people's children based on their mental health, with no history of abuse or neglect. What about a mental disorder that is well-controlled, or no longer present? Would you want to seek treatment knowing you risk having your children taken away?

I think the thing here is she was trying to seek mental help and kept getting turned away. She knew she wasn't right, the family knew she wasn't right, but she wasn't getting the help she needed. I agree with you that just because someone has a mental disorder they shouldn't have their children ripped away from them. In this case, it was obvious because the mother was trying to get help.

Takes me back to: would you seek treatment knowing it would mean having your children taken away?

It's a touchy subject, and I think it is terrible to suggest that someone "failed" by not taking her children away. Slippery goddamn slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleta View Post
    Takes me back to: would you seek treatment knowing it would mean having your children taken away?

It's a touchy subject, and I think it is terrible to suggest that someone "failed" by not taking her children away. Slippery goddamn slope.
    Very. But, does seeking treatment automatically mean her children will be taken away? If she sought treatment, got treatment, and was following treatment plan, does she still lose the kids?

By all accounts, she was doing fine. She DID seek treatment, she DID receive treatment. She stopped taking her medication. People do that. I'll double back to the bit about depression. Someone stops taking their Prozac and their children get taken away? Extra difficult for someone struggling with a bipolar disorder.

In my state, they would not necessarily take your kids away for asking for help. If you were a threat to them they would, but people who do the counseling and take the meds usually get their kids back. Here, DFS WANTS people to ask for help, before something like this happens.

By all accounts, she was doing fine. She DID seek treatment, she DID receive treatment. She stopped taking her medication. People do that. I'll double back to the bit about depression. Someone stops taking their Prozac and their children get taken away? Extra difficult for someone struggling with a bipolar disorder.
    Gotcha. I thought she was refused, or was sent home after only a few days or something. It's a catch 22 sometimes, because if they stop taking their meds, they can be a danger to themselves or others.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfallsoon View Post
    In my state, they would not necessarily take your kids away for asking for help. If you were a threat to them they would, but people who do the counseling and take the meds usually get their kids back. Here, DFS WANTS people to ask for help, before something like this happens.
    Some people think they don't need help or are too embarrassed to ask for help.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    Gotcha. I thought she was refused, or was sent home after only a few days or something. It's a catch 22 sometimes, because if they stop taking their meds, they can be a danger to themselves or others.

Some people think they don't need help or are too embarrassed to ask for help.
    Or they are afraid, I would be too.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfallsoon View Post
    Or they are afraid, I would be too.
    This is true, too. But that's one of the main problems with mental health. The stigma. :-(

I don't blame people for being afraid of DFS..had she had involvement with her before?

It says they sent her home "too soon" on several occasions. I'm not sure how one would go about getting institutionalized. Especially on the government's dime. I wonder if she couldn't afford her meds? It does say she was an unemployed student who had just moved.

I would think the hospital would have put her in touch with The Dept of Family Services? Or whatever they call it there.

It is also NOLA, and the resources are already very stretched there, superior to the vast majority.

It says they sent her home "too soon" on several occasions. I'm not sure how one would go about getting institutionalized. Especially on the government's dime. I wonder if she couldn't afford her meds? It does say she was an unemployed student who had just moved.
    They send everyone home too soon. The only way to get her inpatient would be to show she was a danger to herself or others. And the family doesn't always know what to do, they aren't experts.

This. This really burns my biscuits.

Especially if she was on anti-psychotics, they are expensive here!!

No one probably ever told her she could apply for assistance through the manufacturer. I get my remicaide through the manufacturer. It's $9,000 a pop every 8 weeks. That includes the hospital too (outpatient), though.

They never tell you about the services you're entitled to, from my experience.

Oh, you're totally right. We have to be proactive in our own health care and search things out ourselves. But, if it is someone with mental issues, they may not be in their right mind to be responsible enough. Ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    Oh, you're totally right. We have to be proactive in our own health care and search things out ourselves. But, if it is someone with mental issues, they may not be in their right mind to be responsible enough. Ya know?
    Right, which is why aftercare is so important. This whole thing is just really sad.

Okay, so having a mental disorder means they should have their children taken away? There are A LOT of people with bipolar and/or schizophrenic disorders that don't murder their children. Homicidal tendencies is not even a symptom. People who are depressed (also classified as a mental disorder) are more prone to homicidal tendencies than the schizophrenic or bipolar.

You just can't try to take away people's children based on their mental health, with no history of abuse or neglect. What about a mental disorder that is well-controlled, or no longer present? Would you want to seek treatment knowing you risk having your children taken away?
    No, but when you let your kids live in an environment where there are drugs and you lock yourself and your kids up in the house for days, then yes, there is something wrong and it should be looked at.

There are probably lots of people with a mental disorder that have kids and take great care of them. But everyone in this case seem to have been worried for the kids. Maybe it really was the fault of the doctors for not giving her the proper treatment, or maybe she didn't seek enough help. I don't know. I just wanted to adress the mental health part. Because to me it was the combination of schizophrenia with living in a environment that has drugs, and the locking up that made me feel that these kids should've been living with family.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

So, her family is acting like she isn't mentally ill? No wonder these poor kids were failed.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

What's important is to elect a president who will force people like this to have children and then make sure they have no access based on finances to proper medication. USA USA

Hindsight is 20/20.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid_much View Post
    No, but when you let your kids live in an environment where there are drugs and you lock yourself and your kids up in the house for days, then yes, there is something wrong and it should be looked at.

There are probably lots of people with a mental disorder that have kids and take great care of them. But everyone in this case seem to have been worried for the kids. Maybe it really was the fault of the doctors for not giving her the proper treatment, or maybe she didn't seek enough help. I don't know. I just wanted to adress the mental health part. Because to me it was the combination of schizophrenia with living in a environment that has drugs, and the locking up that made me feel that these kids should've been living with family.
    She and the kids had moved out of the house with drugs two years ago.
    All of the family says they were concerned, but didn't think this would happen. Had the family been saying, "I'm scared she's going to hurt her children," this would be a different story.

Thread Information