Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Chelsea Thornton 23, 'shot son, 3, drowned her daughter, 4, and then took a bus to hospital as she had a headache'

So unless a parent clearly states they are going to kill or hurt their kids, they should just be left alone?

She locked her kids up in the house, she left her kids alone for hours. She wasn't taking proper care of them.
    Ofcourse the family didn't think she was going to kill them, I don't think there are a lot of cases where the family goes like 'yeah, I knew he/she was a killer, but what can you do, huh'. But they were all worried about the well being of the children. Maybe this isn't a case of we are scared she is going to hurt them, but this also isn't a case of she was the best mom ever up and untill she murdered her kids.

So when should people intervene? where should you draw the line?
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid_much View Post
    So unless a parent clearly states they are going to kill or hurt their kids, they should just be left alone?

She locked her kids up in the house, she left her kids alone for hours. She wasn't taking proper care of them.
    Ofcourse the family didn't think she was going to kill them, I don't think there are a lot of cases where the family goes like 'yeah, I knew he/she was a killer, but what can you do, huh'. But they were all worried about the well being of the children. Maybe this isn't a case of we are scared she is going to hurt them, but this also isn't a case of she was the best mom ever up and untill she murdered her kids.

So when should people intervene? where should you draw the line?
    I think that's the million dollar question. It's such a gray area that there's no clear answer, right or wrong.

Yep. Gray area. I am strongly opposed to dismantling families based solely on mental health.

No one thought she was at risk of killing her children.

No they were worried that the children were living in an environment that wasn't healthy for them. But I guess that's no biggie.

I'm not even talking about her mental health.

Again, they moved the children out of the environment referred to two years ago.

ETA: where does it say anything about leaving them alone? Unless you mean after she'd killed them? And it says she got depressed and locked herself and the kids up. Which I read as meaning that they did not leave the house for entire days. Woo.
    Last edited by Fleta; 11-06-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleta View Post
    Again, they moved the children out of the environment referred to two years ago.

ETA: where does it say anything about leaving them alone? Unless you mean after she'd killed them? And it says she got depressed and locked herself and the kids up. Which I read as meaning that they did not leave the house for entire days. Woo.
    I also did not read that she left them alone.

Oooh, it is a slippery slope, because I have a few friends who were raised by schizophrenic parents, and the environment was extremely unhealthy/toxic for them. They generally tried to go live with other family members.

I am curious to know how she was functioning. Having mental illness doesn't mean you are completely useless to life and totally crazy. But some are completely useless and totally crazy.. most especially when they are not medicated. Maybe she was functioning for the most part but when she stopped taking meds it sent her into batshit.

Either way, I would be on the side that family members should have been there for her more. Clearly she needed someone there to keep her on her meds, and since she had her kids with her she should have had someone there to help. It's hard enough taking care of kids sane, let alone add in Schizo tendencies.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

She was on medication for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Andrews said that Thornton has left the two young children home alone on more than one occasion and spent time living in a homeless shelter with Kelsey. The state Office of Child Services would neither confirm nor deny whether Thornton had ever been investigated by the agency.

Andrews, who allowed Thornton and the children to live with her for a few years, said that at times it would seem like Thornton would just check out on life. Thornton was naturally quiet, but that quality would be exacerbated when she was struggling mentally. Those episodes seemed to be linked to breaks in her medication schedule, Andrews said.

?She was fine when she stayed on her medicine,? said Andrews, noting that in recent weeks there had been no signs of issues. ?It was like she was getting better.?
    http://theadvocate.com/news/4184790-...slain-kids-had

I got that from there.

I'm not saying this woman is an evil bitch or didn't love her kids. I'm also not saying the kids should've been taken away just because she has schizophrenia. But if everything I've read about this case is true, then imo there were warning signs that she wasn't capable of giving her kids proper care all the time. Is it so wrong of me to think that these kids might have been better of living with family while mom gets to visit them?

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid_much View Post
    http://theadvocate.com/news/4184790-...slain-kids-had

I got that from there.

I'm not saying this woman is an evil bitch or didn't love her kids. I'm also not saying the kids should've been taken away just because she has schizophrenia. But if everything I've read about this case is true, then imo there were warning signs that she wasn't capable of giving her kids proper care all the time. Is it so wrong of me to think that these kids might have been better of living with family while mom gets to visit them?
    I don't think the family realized how serious her illness was. Or maybe they were in denial. I don't get how she told a few people that she needed to go back to the hospital yet nobody really did anything to try to help her.(that i've seen).

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfallsoon View Post
    I don't think the family realized how serious her illness was. Or maybe they were in denial. I don't get how she told a few people that she needed to go back to the hospital yet nobody really did anything to try to help her.(that i've seen).
    well, i mean...she IS a grown woman. are people supposed to be babysitting her? making sure she does everything she's supposed to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

I'm not saying it's wrong. I respect your opinion (and thanks for quoting that bit, I couldn't find it).

She was seeking treatment, and by all appearances, had a family willing to support her. She was watching her kids play in the yard days before, and making plans to get together with a friend that afternoon. She took her kids to day care. She was in regular contact with her mother, discussing her condition, and the children's father and family were involved in their lives, and showed up at the drop of a hat when she asked them to.

Obviously the specifics are not entirely clear, but while she may have had her struggles, I don't see evidence suggesting she was incapable of caring for her kids independently. You know... up until the whole murderous rampage bit.

Quote Originally Posted by neenerneener View Post
    well, i mean...she IS a grown woman. are people supposed to be babysitting her? making sure she does everything she's supposed to do?
    Being a grown woman has nothing to do with it. She was seriously mentally ill. She told people she needed to go back to the hospital. When my sister had postpartum depression we helped her because she was not capable of helping herself. I don't think this lady was either.

I'm not saying it's wrong. I respect your opinion (and thanks for quoting that bit, I couldn't find it).

She was seeking treatment, and by all appearances, had a family willing to support her. She was watching her kids play in the yard days before, and making plans to get together with a friend that afternoon. She took her kids to day care. She was in regular contact with her mother, discussing her condition, and the children's father and family were involved in their lives, and showed up at the drop of a hat when she asked them to.

Obviously the specifics are not entirely clear, but while she may have had her struggles, I don't see evidence suggesting she was incapable of caring for her kids independently. You know... up until the whole murderous rampage bit.
    The way you describe it does make it sound less bad. I don't know, maybe I am judging to hard. I'm having a shitty day and I seem to be taking it out on this case. I usually don't get so emotional over these things. It's just really hard for me to accept that nothing could have prevented this from happening.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    ok, so which is it....should she have been free to raise her kids, or should she have been monitored? do we take kids away from people who are schizo? or do we medicate them and then leave them to their own devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

So sad. This reminds me of the case in Texas where a new mom killed her baby and ate pieces of him. She also had schizophrenia and was unmedicated AND she also tried to ask for help moments before she killed him.

This will probably get me smites, but I wish people with serious mental illnesses like this wouldn't reproduce. NOT because they'll all hurt their kids but because it just seems to add unnecessary pressure to someone who should lead a structured lifestyle with their own well-being as their top priority.

And a lot of meds are contraindicated with pregnancy. Same with breast feeding. Mental crap is hereditary so you could end up a bipolar schizophrenic raising a bipolar kid or some variation thereof. What then? It's just so much pressure you don't need.

I have severe depression and have taken mood-stabilizers since the onset of puberty, so I include myself in this category.

I don't know about her state but around here inpatient usually lasts a week to ten days.

So you think people with mental disorders shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

I can't.

I think 90% of the population shouldn't reproduce, just overall.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    I think 90% of the population shouldn't reproduce, just overall.
    See, this I agree with

Thread Information