Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chelsea Thornton 23, 'shot son, 3, drowned her daughter, 4, and then took a bus to hospital as she had a headache'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Chelsea Thornton 23, 'shot son, 3, drowned her daughter, 4, and then took a bus to hospital as she had a headache'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

A mother has admitted shooting her three-year-old son and drowning her four-year-old daughter before taking a bus to a hospital as she had a headache and stomach pains, police said.

Chelsea Thornton, 23, faces two counts of first-degree murder after police said she confessed to the killings at her apartment in New Orleans, Louisiana, where she had moved just a week ago.

The children's grandmother found the bodies of Chelsea Adams, 4, and Kendall Adams, 3, in the bathtub of the home around 5.30pm on Wednesday and immediately called police.

Her son - the father of the children - had told her to check on the children after Thornton had asked him to meet her at hospital as she was feeling sick, The Times-Picayune reported.

When the man, 29, arrived at the hospital to meet Thornton, he asked where the children were, and she responded they were at day care, so he sent his mother to check the home.

The grandmother arrived at the apartment to find the bodies. No one else was there, police said.

Police arrived on the scene after 5.30pm and carried out the children's bodies behind white sheets to the coroner's van as weeping friends, relatives and neighbours swarmed around the house.

'It's a terrible, terrible tragedy,' Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas said. 'It's a very, very sad case.'

Officers swooped on the mother and she confessed to the killings in a taped interview with investigators, they said. She was arrested at 11pm.

The investigation continues as authorities try to unearth what led the mother to kill the children.

A cousin of the children's father, who does not live with Thornton, spoke to reporters outside the apartment on Wednesday and said the couple had had an on-off relationship for five years.

'He tried to help her and help their kids, and other family members also tried to help her,' Nicole Hammons told WDSU. 'You can only go so far.'

'We were concerned for the kids,' she added to the Times-Picayne. 'We obviously didn't know this would happen. All kinds of people tried to get those kids from her.'

Another cousin said when she found out the mother, who does not work, was living with her children in a house with drugs, she said the family could move into one of her rental properties rent-free.

'She had the kids in an environment that wasn't good for kids,' Stella Adams said.

On Thursday, neighbors began leaving stuffed animals around the apartment and said they wished the woman had asked them for help.

RIP babies.. your mother is atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

aw poor babies rip

Chelsea Thornton, accused of murdering her two children, wanted to go back to mental hospital, friend says

Just a few days before Chelsea Thornton was booked on two counts of first-degree murder after allegedly confessing to shooting her 3-year-old son in the head and drowning her 4-year-old daughter in the bathtub, she told a friend she wanted to return to a mental institution. Thornton, 23, had previously been hospitalized for bipolar schizophrenia but had recently stopped taking her medicine, said her mother, Eleanor Chapman.

Even Thornton's new neighbor noticed she "was acting really weird, she seemed crazy and paranoid." Myra Washington, 31, lived in the downstairs apartment and was at home at the Gert Town fourplex on Wednesday afternoon when the children were killed.

That afternoon about 3, Washington said she saw Thornton return home from nursery school with her son, Kendall Adams, and daughter, Kelsey Adams. Washington said she heard bathwater running in the apartment upstairs, then, as she said she listened from her apartment below, Thornton allegedly shot her 3-year-old with a semiautomatic gun. Police said the gun jammed after the boy was killed, so the mother drowned her 4-year-old daughter.

"I saw a flash of a gun through the window and then I heard, 'Boom, boom, boom,' like if someone was fighting and slamming you on the ground -- a lot of falling," Washington said. "Then I heard the boy give a soft cry, and then I heard the girl give a soft cry.

"Then I heard her say, 'Momma, you want me to die?' And she said, 'Yeah, die. Die.' She said it two or three times, over and over."

About 10 minutes later, around 4 p.m., Washington said, Thornton turned off the bathwater, walked out her back door and calmly descended the stairs. She walked to a nearby bus stop, rode the bus to Interim LSU Public Hospital and checked herself in, complaining of "abdominal pain and a headache," according to documents filed in state court.

On her way to the hospital, Thornton called the children's father, Kenneth Adams, 29, and asked him to meet her there, said Nicole Hammons, a cousin of Kenneth Adams. Once the father arrived at the hospital, he asked Thornton where the children were. She said they were at day care, but Adams sent his mother with a key to the apartment in the 3300 block of Audubon Court to check on them anyway.

Judy Andrews, the children's grandmother, said she found blood tracked through the house and the children's bodies in the bathtub, family members said. The downstairs neighbor, Washington, said she heard Andrews outside on the phone with 911 dispatchers, crying, "I can't give them CPR! They're already dead!"

On Thursday, Andrews would say only: "I found the babies. I was their grandmother. I can't talk about this right now. I just can't."

Police arrived at the scene Wednesday about 5:30 p.m. Holding up large white sheets, detectives shielded coroner's investigators from view as they carried the children's bodies out of the apartment.

"It's a terrible, terrible tragedy -- two young children," Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas said at the scene. "It's a very, very sad case."

Thornton, who police say has confessed to the killings, is being held at Orleans Parish Prison. On Thursday morning, a magistrate denied bond for her. She was appointed an attorney from the Louisiana Capital Defense Project, who filed standard defense motions, including one to prevent anyone representing the government from questioning Thornton without her counsel present, and another to preserve case evidence, such as audio or video recordings, notes and transcripts. The crime she is accused of is punishable with either life imprisonment or death.

On Wednesday evening after the bodies were discovered, NOPD detectives from the child abuse division met with Thornton. NOPD officers said Thornton gave a recorded statement admitting that she killed Kendall and Kelsey, including details of the attacks. .

Meanwhile, on Audubon Court, mourners left flowers, stuffed animals and dolls on the handrail of the exterior staircase leading to the second-floor apartment Kendall and Kelsey had shared with their mother.. One boy left his toy car, and a woman prayed. .

Tenants of other apartments in the two-story complex remained bewildered at the violence that occurred so close to their living spaces. They said Thornton and her children had moved in about a week ago. .

On the morning of the killings, at about 7, Thornton had made an urgent phone call to one of her longtime friends. "I need to talk, can you come pick me up?" she asked , Oblique Weavers. But Weavers was busy with her own kids, and promised Thornton they would catch up later in the day.

A few days earlier, on Saturday, the two women had sat and talked in Weavers' front yard in eastern New Orleans, watching as Thornton's children played with light-up Star Wars swords. On that sunny afternoon, Kendall and Kelsey chopped at the bushes with their swords, laughing and yelling, Weavers said.

Thornton told Weavers that she felt like she needed to go back to a mental institution. "She was going through a lot," Weavers said. "I guess she felt like she was starting to lose it."

Although Weavers recalled Thornton's demeanor that day as "very happy, very jolly," she said her friend was also known to have sudden attacks of depression, during which she would lock herself and her children inside for entire days. "Ain't no telling. One day she's normal, the next moment, she's someone else," Weavers said.

"It's so hard because you know the whole world's looking at her like she's a cold-blooded murderer, which she is, but we're looking at her like, this is not the Chelsea we know," Weavers said. "How can you do this? What triggered that? Why didn't you call somebody? All we can do is pray for her."

Thornton's mother, Eleanor Chapman, told reporters on Thursday that her daughter had recently stopped taking her medication for her bipolar schizophrenia. Nonetheless, "my child (loved) her children," Chapman said.

Kenneth Adams, has lately been living in Houston, working in construction and furniture-moving jobs. The parents have been together, off-and-on, for about five years, family members said. Thornton does not work, but she had enrolled at Cameron College in New Orleans and was studying to become a medical assistant, Chapman said. "My child was doing good," Chapman said. "She was in school."

But Adams family members said they had long worried about Thornton, and about her care of the children. "I wish she would've opened up more to us," said Hammons, Adams' cousin. "As family members, we could've pushed harder. We were concerned for the kids. We obviously didn't know this would happen."

Another cousin of the father, Stella Adams, said she was horrified to find out about two years ago that Thornton was living with the children in a house where there were drugs.

Adams allowed the family to move in to one of her rental properties and did not charge them rent. "I even put them in a situation where I lost income to allow her to live in my house," Adams said. "She had the kids in an environment that wasn't good for kids."

The father's family tried to invite the children to as many family parties as possible. "We wanted to show them what a happy environment is," Stella Adams said.

Anthony Knighten, 24, said he had passed by the apartment house on his bike Monday, and he saw Thornton with her children. "They were normal," he said. "You know, normal stuff when the child does something, the mom kind of spanked 'em. It wasn't nothing serious."

While watching the murder investigation on Wednesday night, Shirley Schmidt, 37, said government leaders "need to be here to see this. They keep cutting mental hospitals, you're going to see a whole lot more of this."

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...ted_to_go.html

Ok, what is bipolar schizophrenia?

Terrible bouts of schizo episodes? Heavy one way to the next?

and just when are we going to take mental illness seriously in this country, I ask again...

As soon as the kids' names are out, that just makes it that much more real. Kendall and Kelsey. Sounds like your mom did try to get some help, as best as she could... but she should not have been your sole caregiver with this known diagnosis.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPistonsGirl View Post
    and just when are we going to take mental illness seriously in this country, I ask again...

As soon as the kids' names are out, that just makes it that much more real. Kendall and Kelsey. Sounds like your mom did try to get some help, as best as she could... but she should not have been your sole caregiver with this known diagnosis.
    Soon, I desperately hope.

That poor, poor grandmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

I may be full derp here but did the neighbor hear all of this and not call the police? My reading comprehension may be failing right now. I don't want to place blame on the neighbor; she didn't kill the children.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Huh? you're a woman?

That's how the article makes it read to me too. Maybe I'm derping, too.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    i don't think there's any derping going on here. i didn't see anything that said the neighbor called police after hearing the gunshots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Whew! We're derp free!

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    Whew! We're derp free!
    I wouldn't go that far.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    Whew! We're derp free!
    yay!

Quote Originally Posted by blu View Post
    I wouldn't go that far.
    hey!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Am I an asshole for wondering why someone with such serious mental issues was ever allowed to keep her children? I mean, I get that that way of thinking can lead to a witch hunt, but at the same time..

Quote Originally Posted by blu View Post
    I wouldn't go that far.
    What neener said

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    Am I an asshole for wondering why someone with such serious mental issues was ever allowed to keep her children? I mean, I get that that way of thinking can lead to a witch hunt, but at the same time..
    No.

Thornton, 23, who suffered from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, had recently stopped taking her medication, according to her mother, Eleanor Chapman. Thornton's best friend, Oblique Weavers, said Thornton had been hospitalized, and at times shackled to a bed, for a month at Southeast Louisiana Hospital in Mandeville about a year ago after having a mental breakdown that caused her to defecate on herself.

"If you go to a psych ward and you're s--ing on yourself, how are you going to let her come back home? Why didn't you keep her?" Weavers said Thursday. "Chelsea reached out for help so many times. The people kept sending her home. Some help could've saved the children."

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...ying_of_c.html

This is horrible.

But what I still don't understand is how she had physical custody of these children with such serious mental issues going on. The whole family knew, and the doctors sent her home so fuck it? Might as well let her keep the kids?

I am sorry, I think more than the medical field failed these kids.

But what I still don't understand is how she had physical custody of these children with such serious mental issues going on. The whole family knew, and the doctors sent her home so fuck it? Might as well let her keep the kids?

Agreed

It's the whole "family reunification" thing that most DSS agencies are hell bent on.

Sounds like the family tried everything but going to the authorities.

I get that they want kids to stay close to family, but there are all sorts of family members talking about how worried they were. Why didn't they take over? Get the kids to live with dad or another family member and let mom have her visits.

He tried to help her and help their kids, and other family members also tried to help her,' Nicole Hammons told WDSU. 'You can only go so far.
    I don't know much about child protective services in the US, but really? You're telling me that if the dad (or a cousin, or her mother) contacts them, saying she has schizophrenia, she has her two kids living in a house with drugs, recently stopped taking her meds and sometimes locks herself and her kids in her house for days, they're going to do nothing?

I'm with Greeneyes. A lot of people failed these kids.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

US CPS sucks, for the record. But it's a program we shouldn't be wasting money on, as we should be investing in dealing with our main adversary, Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    US CPS sucks, for the record. But it's a program we shouldn't be wasting money on, as we should be investing in dealing with our main adversary, Russia.
    That's the city on the coast of Iran, right? I follow Romney in these debates.

That's the city on the coast of Iran, right? I follow Romney in these debates.
    Yeah, it's how they can access the sea.

It reminds me of Andrea Yates. The whole family knew that she was batshit and a very real danger to her kids, but they chose not to do the right thing. Now that she's in custody, she'll be stabilized. Then she'll be lucid enough to understand the ramifications of her actions. I can't even imagine.

I have seen the future and I'm fairly relieved to say, it looks nothing like me.

Children allegedly murdered by mom laid to rest

''A very, very sad double funeral today for two New Orleans toddlers today who were allegedly killed by their own mother in their home nine days ago.

Four year old Kelsey Adams and three year old Kendall Adams shared a coffin during the services at the New Home Ministry's Church in Central City.

The mentally ill mother, Chelsea Thornton, has allegedly confessed to the murder after stopping her medication. (Some family members deny that Thornton was mentally ill.)

The group Silence is Violence says Thornton was "diagnosed with schizophrenia yet repeatedly released by a mental health system."

Mental health advocates are now asking for an alert system for patients who have stopped taking their medication.''

http://www.wwl.com/Children-allegedl...-rest/14629233

Thread Information