Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Missouri couple sues doctors for botched delivery of their baby. Unbelievably botched.

Missouri couple sues doctors for botched delivery of their baby. Unbelievably botched.

*Warning. Ive read a lot of death stories. I read this one this weekend and it made me sicker than any other I have read*

A Missouri couple have filed a lawsuit against a pair of obstetricians, accusing them of decapitating their baby during his 2011 delivery and then trying to hide it by shoving the child's body and severed head back into the birth canal.

In a court complaint that reads like the script of a horror film, Arteisha Betts and Travis Ammonette, of Florissant, described how doctors Gilbert Webb and Susan Moore had allegedly coerced them into a vaginal delivery against their wishes, and then severed their son's head.

The 10-complaint lawsuit cites Midwest Maternal & Fetal Medicine Services, LLC, Signature Medical Group Inc and the two doctors. However, the suit does not list St John's Mercy Medical Center in St. Louis, where the bungled delivery too place in March 2001, as a defendant.

According to the court filing, Betts and Ammonette were told by Dr Moore during a February 2011 appointment that the baby will have to be delivered via C-section rather than vaginally because the child had an abnormally large abdomen, Patch Florissant reported.

But when the expectant mother prematurely went into labor on March 22 only 28 weeks and five days into her term, the complaint indicates that Dr Webb 'would not agree' to the Cesarean and 'would only deliver her baby by way of attempted trial of vaginal delivery.'

The couple claim that the obstetrician also refused to let them go to a different hospital for a Cesarian.

"Believing that she had no other choice than to agree to a trial of vaginal delivery, plaintiff Arteisha Betts consented to a trial of vaginal delivery under duress and protest," according to the complaint.

The infant's head was delivered in the first stage of the birthing process, but in the second stage which got under way at around 10.30pm, the lawsuit claims that his large abdomen became lodged in the birth canal.

According to the complaint, Dr Webb applied traction to the child's head in an attempt to dislodge his body, at which point the infant was decapitated.

Citing the complaint, the Courthouse News Services reported that blood shot out from the baby's arteries and veins, spilling onto the floor in full view of the mother and Ammonette, who was sitting only two to four feet away from the birthing bed.

The lawsuit states that Webb then 'pushed decedent's head and body back into plaintiff Arteisha Betts' birth canal' and called for an emergency C-section.

The doctor started cutting into the woman's abdomen before the anesthesia fully set in, causing her great pain and suffering in the process, the suit says.

During the procedure, the doctor "surgically and completely removed" the child's head from his neck and torso.

Before handing the little boy named Kaden Travis to his parents, Webb had allegedly 'intentionally concealed' his neck wounds, although the complaint does not specify how it was done.

The suit seeks unspecified damages to cover pregnancy costs, funeral expenses as well as personal injury and wrongful death

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...#ixzz29P1cl3bN
    (Other sources are cited within the article)
    Last edited by HockeyGirl; 10-15-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Arteisha and Travis

What? How could the doctor keep them from going to another hospital? and how in the world could he conceal a severed head? Something just doesn't seem right.

I hope its not right, i really do.

maybe because she was already in labor, she didnt want to leave? I dunno

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGirl View Post
    I hope its not right, i really do.

maybe because she was already in labor, she didnt want to leave? I dunno
    Well I can kind of understand that, maybe the doctor saying we need to go on and deliver this baby. But how in the world could a doctor conceal the neck wounds of a decapitated baby? Man, I almost got sick reading this article about how he pushed the baby back up and then performed a c-section. God, I hope it's not true either.

During the procedure, the doctor "surgically and completely removed" the child's head from his neck and torso.

Before handing the little boy named Kaden Travis to his parents, Webb had allegedly 'intentionally concealed' his neck wounds, although the complaint does not specify how it was done.
    I don't get this. His head was completely removed, but the doctor concealed the 'neck wounds'? That's just strange. How do you conceal a head not being attached to the body?

And the whole pushing back thing. So she has a head in her hands and then she decides to shove it back in there?

I don't get this story at all.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

28 weeks + 5 day fetus + dystocia + use of a vacuum. Yep could have been decapitated but there was waaay too much force being used.
    However, pushing the head back up in there. I have delivered a many a babies and can't quite figure this one out. Not that I ever tried to push one back in.
    Now a broken neck is way more likely here and the use of forceps causing neck abrasions which the doctor tried to hide. Things that make ya go...hmmm.
    The bleeding could have been from the mother due to an obviously difficult birth.

I have put way too much though into this and I am stumped.

From what I understand after reading a bit around about this, it was a cranial decapitation meaning that the head was not completely severed. A cranial decapitation is where the skull becomes disconnected from the spine. The neck wounds could be partial tissue tearing from the doctor pulling too hard on the infant's head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaraa View Post
    From what I understand after reading a bit around about this, it was a cranial decapitation meaning that the head was not completely severed. A cranial decapitation is where the skull becomes disconnected from the spine. The neck wounds could be partial tissue tearing from the doctor pulling too hard on the infant's head.

well that makes a little more sense.

We have been taking our daughter to a baby chiropractor since she was 6 weeks old. The chiro told us that a normal vaginal birth puts 90 lbs of pressure on a baby’s head. It takes 150lbs to decapitate a baby. And forceps/vacuum births are in between 90-150 lbs. It’s insanity.

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Seraphim's Avatar
    I remember reading about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    We have been taking our daughter to a baby chiropractor since she was 6 weeks old. It’s insanity.
    Yeah. It IS insanity!

WTF?

OMG whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by mydeathspace View Post
    Yeah. It IS insanity!
    Yes, that's exactly what it's like.

I was thinking it must be internal decapitation..... But I still had that overly active imagination scene of this lady yanking and yanking until the head popped off like a toy doll. :( did he severe the head in the cesearian because you CAN'T push it back in and pull it out the other way? Does anyone know? Or did he already know the baby was dead?

So many wtf questions on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by CorgiKid View Post
    I was thinking it must be internal decapitation..... But I still had that overly active imagination scene of this lady yanking and yanking until the head popped off like a toy doll. :( did he severe the head in the cesearian because you CAN'T push it back in and pull it out the other way? Does anyone know? Or did he already know the baby was dead?

So many wtf questions on this one.
    If the baby's head was delivered but could not be pushed back in despite attempts to do so then that might explain this statement.
    "During the procedure, the doctor "surgically and completely removed" the child's head from his neck and torso."

Because it's not like you can just leave them like that. I would think the baby had stopped responding from the trauma of having his skull yanked off his spine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaraa View Post
    Because it's not like you can just leave them like that. I would think the baby had stopped responding from the trauma of having his skull yanked off his spine.
    Good point. I findit odd that if they knew he had a wide torso a earliEr than 25 weeks they would have bothered with vaginal birth at all and perhaps avoided the whole thing. Sad all around. :/

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    We have been taking our daughter to a baby chiropractor since she was 6 weeks old. The chiro told us that a normal vaginal birth puts 90 lbs of pressure on a baby’s head. It takes 150lbs to decapitate a baby. And forceps/vacuum births are in between 90-150 lbs. It’s insanity.
    hey, this is a long shot, but i worked for a chiro for two years before i started teaching. i remained friends with him - he married a girl from australia and they ended up moving there last december - i believe that he still practices, but they opened up a line of hot yoga studios called fire shaper. His name is John S u r i e
    He loved treating babies and educating parents to the trauma of childbirth upon an infant. just wondering if by chance, he might be your chiro.

and remember this was a premature infant, it probably took much less force to take its head off than a full term baby. but a doctor should know that.

It doesn't sound like an internal decapitation to me. The article said that blood splattered every where and the doc shoved the head back up and then ordered the stat c-section.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    It doesn't sound like an internal decapitation to me. The article said that blood splattered every where and the doc shoved the head back up and then ordered the stat c-section.
    This article and this specific quote is what led me to believe that it was a cranial decapitation with tearing to the tissue around the neck, a nearly full decapitation before fully removing the baby's surgically during the cesarean. The site itself could be wrong but it makes sense to me since the others are mentioning him surgically removing the head later then trying to hide it.

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Lawsu...173379051.html
    According to the lawsuit, the doctor pulled so hard on the baby to get it out that he separated the baby?s head from its spine.
    At that point, the lawsuit says, blood went everywhere in the delivery room. The mother was immediately rushed into an operating room. The couple claims during an emergency cesarean section, the doctor completely removed the baby?s head from the rest of its body.

What the fuck, I mean, if this really happened the way they're saying, I would imagine the guy could be charged with negligent homicide and assault, not just sued.

Cynical face.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    hey, this is a long shot, but i worked for a chiro for two years before i started teaching. i remained friends with him - he married a girl from australia and they ended up moving there last december - i believe that he still practices, but they opened up a line of hot yoga studios called fire shaper. His name is John S u r i e
    He loved treating babies and educating parents to the trauma of childbirth upon an infant. just wondering if by chance, he might be your chiro.

and remember this was a premature infant, it probably took much less force to take its head off than a full term baby. but a doctor should know that.
    Nope - our chiro is a middle aged woman called Lisa. Close though :P

Thread Information