Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeffrey Giuliano killed a masked prowler who turned out to be his teenage son

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jeffrey Giuliano killed a masked prowler who turned out to be his teenage son

The elementary school teacher who shot and killed his son after apparently believing him to be a burglar did not realize the magnitude of what he had done until after paramedics arrived to take the body away, authorities said Friday.

Police said that on Thursday, shortly after midnight, Jeffrey Giuliano got a frantic call from his sister, who was concerned that someone was trying to break into her home. At her behest, he walked next door to check on the house.

He later told investigators that he saw someone with a knife stalking the property's perimeter and confronted him. A scuffle ensued, authorities said, and Giuliano fatally shot the intruder.

When police arrived, they found Giuliano, wearing a T-shirt and shorts, sitting on the side lawn of the house on Meeting House Hill Circle.

His son's body lay sprawled several feet away on the driveway, still clutching the knife, authorities said. The 15-year-old was apparently clad in all black and wearing a ski mask.

"He didn't know it was his son. ... We made the identification." State Police spokesman Lt. J. Paul Vance said. He said Jeffrey Giuliano had not removed the teenager's mask, as had been initially reported.

On Friday, Vance reiterated that the investigation was far from over, but early indications were that the father felt threatened by the teenager and opened fire.

"It's going to take several weeks for us to finish," Vance said Friday. "There's no timetable on that. We'll do it as quickly and efficiently as possible."

As of Friday morning, no criminal charges had been filed.

Lori DePalma, who had taken in Tyler (his birth name was Januzzi) when he was having trouble at home, said that she was in disbelief when a friend from New Fairfield telephoned her to tell her the news. DePalma said she felt compelled to speak up because she said that authorities' portrayal of Tyler as a troubled teenager was inaccurate.

"He was just so kind and loving, and he just wanted to be loved," she said.

"I didn't want to believe that it happened, so I called the Januzzis' house yesterday and they said yes, it did happen. I feel like I lost my baby," DePalma said by telephone from her home in Florida. "I just want people to know that he was just the sweetest little baby. We're just so heartbroken."

DePalma said Friday that between trips to the Poconos and Jones Beach, Tyler endeared himself to the family, to the point that her three sons treated him as a brother. She said she hadn't spoken with Tyler in years -- he had gone to live with the Giulianos in 2008 -- but had heard through the friend that he got along well with his adopted family.

Friends said that father and son were close.

Tyler sometimes tagged along with his father to Meeting House Hill School, where Jeffrey Giuliano taught fifth-grade science, and the two shared a love for flying.

But his online posts often painted a different picture.

His status updates on a social networking platform called Lifestream often took on a more melancholy tone.

The shooting rattled people in New Fairfield, a town of nearly 14,000 that abuts the New York state line.

"I think everybody is in kind of a holding pattern," First Selectman John Hodge said. "It's just a tragic story on so many different levels."

Hodge said the question haunting investigators and the public is why Tyler had gone with a weapon to his aunt's house in the middle of the night.

"Of course, the million-dollar question is what was on his mind," Hodge said Friday. "The pieces to the puzzle don't really add up at this time."

On Thursday, many of Tyler Giuliano's friends and classmates took to Twitter to convey their condolences.

One person, whose handle is BK1mmel, wrote, "you can only hope nobody ever has to feel the pain and guilt that Mr G feels right now. prayers go out to the family.. RIP Tyler."

Another tweeted: "To think I was just in class with Tyler on Thursday, joking around and talking with him; he was such a nice kid and a good friend #RIP."

Read more: http://www.newstimes.com/policerepor...#ixzz288WuLtA6

What the hell was this cute, sweet boy who only wants love doing trying to rob his aunt with a knife in hand??

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Anguished father who shot dead masked son left 'vomiting and physically ill' as police claim they are baffled by sad case of mistaken identity

Family had adopted the boy and his sister four years ago to stop them being put in an orphanage

A popular teacher who shot dead his masked 15-year-old son after mistaking him for a prowler was left crying and vomiting after he realised what he had done.

Devastated Jeffery Giuliano went outside with his gun at 1 am after his sister called to say someone was trying to break into her house next door in New Fairfield, about 50 miles from New York city.

He saw a masked person holding a knife come toward him in a threatening manner and shot him.

After calling the police Mr Giuliano began to fear it was his son he had shot, as the boy had been missing, but the terrible truth was not confirmed for several hours.

Mr Giuliano's attorney Gene Zingaro, who arrived at the scene shortly after the shooting, said Giuliano was inconsolable and physically ill - crying and vomiting.

Giuliano and his wife adopted Tyler and his sister about four years ago.

The children's biological father was heading to prison, and the children would have gone into an orphanage if the couple, who had three other children, had not adopted them, Zingaro said.

The father and son shared a love of music and the Civilian Air Patrol, in which Tyler served as a cadet and enjoyed flying gliders and small aircraft, Zingaro said.

Mr Zingaro said the family were 'not well' and were struggling to comprehend what had happened and were filled with questions.

He said: 'Their family is hurting. They've been broken in half by this unspeakable tragedy, which really is three tragedies all in one.'

'The family has literally hundreds of questions as to what Tyler was doing, why he was wearing what he was and why he was carrying what he was,' Zingaro said.

'Those questions will probably go unanswered forever.'

Giuliano and his wife cooperated immediately with authorities, allowing them to search their home without a warrant and giving a sworn statement, Zingaro said. He called it a justifiable shooting and said Giuliano had a permit to carry the gun.

Mr Zingaro said he did not believe his client would be charged with any type of offense, weapon or otherwise.

State police said the shooting happened after Jeffrey Giuliano got a call from his sister next door saying that someone might be trying to break into her home in their neighborhood of attractive colonial-style houses.

'Giuliano grabbed a handgun and went outside to investigate, troopers said.

He confronted someone in a ski mask and opened fire when the person came at him with something shiny in his hand, police said.

'When police officers arrived, Tyler was lying dead in the driveway with a knife in his hand, and his father, in a T-shirt and shorts, was sitting on the grass.

Detectives informed the devastated father several hours later that he had shot his son, Vance said.

Police were investigating whether the father's gun was registered.

State police say they are continuing to investigate the shooting. No charges have been filed.

Giuliano, affectionately known around Meeting House Hill School as Mr. G, grew up in New Fairfield, an hour's drive northwest of New Haven.

He holds summer music and zoology camps for his students and plays guitar in a local rock band that raises money for charity, schools superintendent Alicia Roy said.

The family attended a memorial service for Tyler on Sunday night.

He was 'in a state of extreme anguish' and was 'utterly devastated,' Zingaro said.

'It's a loss that cannot be measured,' he said.

New Fairfield First Selectman John Hodge provided a statement that was read on behalf of the Giuliano family at the memorial service, thanking the community for its support.

'So many people have rallied behind this family in a way that touches our hearts and gives us strength,' the statement said.

One classmate said many students were baffled by what happened.

'I just thought it was so weird when I heard because I knew Tyler, not very well, but he was just a sweet person and he always made everyone laugh. I met him in the chorus room, actually, and he just wasn't the type to do what happened,' said Erin Pallas, 16. 'So it didn't make sense to us. It doesn't make sense to the student body.'

Brett Rasile, a 14-year-old friend, said he and Tyler were playing an online game called Minecraft while talking and laughing together via Skype until about 10 p.m. Wednesday, when Tyler said he had to go to bed. Brett said Tyler wasn't in any trouble that he knew of, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

'Same old Tyler. He was perfectly fine,' Brett said. 'He didn't really leave any evidence, any hints towards what he would do.'

Alicia Roy, New Fairfield superintendent of schools, said the elder Giuliano grew up in the town, holds summer music and zoology camps for his students and plays guitar in a local rock band that raises money for charity. He is affectionately known as 'Mr. G' around Meeting House Hill School.

'He was the teacher you requested in the fifth grade. He was a great teacher. All the kids loved him,' said Rosemary Rasile, Brett's mother.

Brian Wyckoff, 17, said Mr. G 'was always walking around with a smile on his face. He always says hi to everyone.'

The high school stayed open late to provide grief counseling for students and parents.

'The community is deeply saddened, and our hearts go out to all the family members,' Roy said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-OWN-SON.html

This is really a horrible story.

.. and the kid was about to attack his unmasked father??

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    .. and the kid was about to attack his unmasked father??
    This is why I call bullshit. Dude was trigger happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    This is why I call bullshit. Dude was trigger happy.
    I don't know if this is a case of 'the good son' or if dad really was trigger happy. But I would venture to say that being masked with a knife in hand certainly makes the situation look like the kid was not as 'sweet' as everyone is saying.

Shit like this doesn't just happen out of the blue.

I don't know if this is a case of 'the good son' or if dad really was trigger happy. But I would venture to say that being masked with a knife in hand certainly makes the situation look like the kid was not as 'sweet' as everyone is saying.

Shit like this doesn't just happen out of the blue.
    So you think the dad would be dead if he didn't have his gun?

So you think the dad would be dead if he didn't have his gun?
    I have no clue. The Kid had a knife while being masked.. should he have asked questions about his name and info and why the kid was charging?
    Last edited by g r ee n ey e s; 10-02-2012 at 01:21 PM.

I sure would not ask questions to someone in a mask and holding a knife and coming towards me threateningly. I have a gun and would have used it.

I would have done the same, there was a masked 'man' with a knife seen trying to break into a females home. Her brother lives next door so he in turn got his gun to see what this masked man was doing with a knife trying to get into his sisters home.. I would say the fail was the 'sweet, loving kid' charging at his dad with a knife. The dad didn't know it was him, but he knew it was his dad.

Ron doesn't have a sister to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by sogs View Post
    Ron doesn't have a sister to compare.
    I don't see why it can'[t be compared to someone else. Some people hate their sisters.

"There's my dad holding a gun. Let me take him down with my knife."

That's not the least bit logical. Unless the kid was high (which is totally possible) I ain't buying it.

I am not buying the kid was sweet and all perfect. Sweet and perfect don't have you putting on a ski mask and trying to rob your aunt by knife point. Weather the intention was to knife someone or not.

I am not buying the kid was sweet and all perfect. Sweet and perfect don't have you putting on a ski mask and trying to rob your aunt by knife point. Weather the intention was to knife someone or not.
    I hope something absolute comes out, something undefendable, and everyone feels like an asshole. Like he shot the kid in the back or something.

People are way too ready to swallow whatever story a person holding a smoking gun tells nowadays, and I don't like the fact that the laws are leading us further into this way of thinking.

Yah, I'm sorry, I suspect the cover up is trying to make this kid not sound psycho.

Yah, I'm sorry, I suspect the cover up is trying to make this kid not sound psycho.
    Maybe they put this whole thing together to eliminate the son.

Maybe I have been watching WAY too much Law & Order the past few days.

i wonder why his real dad went to prison?

What, it's not like this guy is going around acting like he's a fucking hero. By all accounts, he's generally a gentle professor who is absolutely devastated and horrified at what happened and what he did.

I hope something absolute comes out, something undefendable, and everyone feels like an asshole. Like he shot the kid in the back or something.

People are way too ready to swallow whatever story a person holding a smoking gun tells nowadays, and I don't like the fact that the laws are leading us further into this way of thinking.
    What Bowie says here:

What, it's not like this guy is going around acting like he's a fucking hero. By all accounts, he's generally a gentle professor who is absolutely devastated and horrified at what happened and what he did.
    Exactly, I don't think someone would be puking and hysterical if they had no qualms about killing their child.

Exactly, I don't think someone would be puking and hysterical if they had no qualms about killing their child.
    Was he?

Man, that would be pretty fucking dumb if the kid charged at him.

Was he?

Man, that would be pretty fucking dumb if the kid charged at him.
    Yeah man, he didn't even know it was his son until responders came.

Yeah man, he didn't even know it was his son until responders came.
    Oh, that's all fine and good, but it still doesn't mean that this kid charged him.

Giuliano sustained a back injury during the shooting, Zingaro said, but he would not say if that was because of physical contact with Tyler.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...6b2_story.html

Thread Information