Thread: No Facebook at work? I don't want the job thanks!

No Facebook at work? I don't want the job thanks!

ONE in five job-seekers would turn down a job offer if they did not have reasonable access to Facebook at work, a new study shows.

Research conducted by recruitment firm Hays found that half of Aussie workers access social media at work for personal reasons.

Of these, 13.3 per cent said they access it daily, while 36.4 per cent access it occasionally.

Hays regional director Shane Little said the majority of workers felt that social media was an important part of their lives, and expected to be able to access such sites at work.

?Employees want to be treated as mature, responsible people,? Mr Little said.

?I think it is a bit of the big brother approach that they don?t want to see - being told how to run their lives.?

Mr Little said employers faced two challenges with social media; the impact had on their brand, and the impact it had on productivity.

But he said trying to restrict employees on social media was a thing of the past.

?It?s part of the world we live in,? Mr Little said.

?There was a time when employees couldn?t answer phones during their workday - times have changed.?

The research found that most employers allowed staff some access to Facebook and Twitter at work, and 44.3 per cent believed that allowing employees to access social media at work would improve their retention levels.

One third of employers (33.2 per cent) allow their employees access at work, 43.2 per cent allow limited access, and 23.7 per cent restrict access completely.

Mr Little said that forward thinking companies allowed employees unlimited access, but these companies were in the minority.

?They let people use it at any time of the day with the expectation that people use it sensibly and it doesn?t impact their productivity,? he said.

Other companies allow workers to use it at different times of the day, such as before work, at lunchtime or at the end of the day, he said.

Large Australian organisations such as Ernst & Young and Westpac allow their employees total access to social media at work.

Ernst & Young has a global policy around what can be said on social media designed to protect the firm from ?potential reputation issues?.

But the firm allows employees access to Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter at work.

?We recognise social media is changing the way we communicate, share ideas and interact both inside and outside our organisation,? an Ernst & Young spokeswoman said.

A Westpac spokeswoman said the company?s social media policy was similar to its other policies surrounding the personal use of technology.

Employees are limited to a ?reasonable? amount of personal use, and are trusted to manage their time on Facebook and Twitter responsibly.

?Especially in an office environment, it?s noticeable if it?s on your screen all day,? the spokeswoman said.

The study also found that more than half of employees (56.3 per cent) who said they accessed social media at work for personal reasons used company equipment to do so.

Mr Little said larger organisations with sophisticated IT systems could monitor their employees internet usage, including the sites they accessed and how long they accessed them for.

?In those situations [the employees] are aware they are being monitored,? he said.

But Mr Little said a typical medium-sized enterprise doesn?t have the capacity to monitor their staff.

?If they grant access they?re relying upon the mature approach of their staff,? he said.

http://www.news.com.au/business/work...-1226476657454

what would you say if there was facebook breaks? like twice a day for 15 minutes they allowed fb access.

lol there is no facebook access at work because the internet has controls on it since its a public school - however there is my phone and when i have a break, ill browse. however while actively working, its virtually impossible. im ok with it because im busy and i dont even think about it.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Your job market must be amazing.

Fucking Aussies turning down jobs and shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

i should block facebook, mds, iheartchaos, reddit, engadget, androidcentral from my person computer.

i would get so much done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Your job market must be amazing.

Fucking Aussies turning down jobs and shit.
    I can't believe only 13% of people admit to using it daily at work. Even if they don't use it on the work computer, I work for a phone company and I swear to god, every single person spends all day on FB.

People who work in our call centres aren't allowed 'proper' internet access but there are computers with facebook etc on it for their breaks.

i'm on fb a good 20% of the time i'm at work.

I am actually surprised this isn't more common. You would think no facebook would increase activity.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

that's a good plan. block it on your workstations. but then have some break room computers where people can access everything.

i've always worked for technology or internet companies. or worked in the internet department. it'd be impossible for us to work without full access to the internet. so i've never been subject to those restrictions.

Here you have to apply for an internet account which most 'office' people get. I actually applied for and approved my own account when I was an Exec Assistant. Our only banned sites are booze and gambling ones. Not entirely sure why as you can buy lottery tickets at the shop here on campus and also buy booze at one of the restaurants. But whatever.

Dude I read that like 3 times and still I'm like WUT?!?

I was let go from a company and one of the most ridiculous reasons was for being on Facebook. I grew their page 1400 in less than a year and when I was on my personal page I was sharing their page. Fucking retards!! Duhhhhh!! They did me a favor. But I do want to get a shirt made that says I got fired because of Facebook. Lol!! \m/

Quote Originally Posted by John Astle View Post
    Well Facebook is a good source of business but people use it for entertainment and there is no doubt that it improves business and using Facebook at home is better than using it professionally. Because you get some breaks and it is more effective in improving work efficiency.

Thread Information