Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grandmother sued by HOA over the pink color of her granddaughter's playhouse.

Grandmother sued by HOA over the pink color of her granddaughter's playhouse.

The backyard playhouse of a 4-year-old girl in Georgia has drawn a lawsuit for being too pink.

A woman in Augusta, Ga., is being sued by the homeowners association of her Mill Haven neighborhood over the color of a pink playhouse that she built in the backyard for her granddaughter this past Christmas. Becky Rogers-Peck believes the lawsuit, which is the culmination of months of arguments over the structure, is the height of frivolity. The homeowners association has stated that it has no problem with the playhouse itself, but wants the color of it changed after complaints by neighbors. The association claims that Rogers-Peck had to have the color approved by the association's board before she could paint it pink.

"The general reaction is, 'Are you kidding me?" Rogers-Peck told TODAY.com. "They're suing you over a pink playhouse? They're policing us like we're in a communist country, and it's just ridiculous. Every once in a while, you've got to stand your ground."

"Part of the approval is the color," Susan Bradley, HOA president, told NBC's Augusta affiliate, WMBF. "We didn't disapprove of the play house. We disapproved of the color of it."

Rogers-Peck's contention is that the playhouse does not fall under the definition of a backyard structure like a shed or a garage that would be subject to the association's rules, so she can paint it any color she wants. Pink is the favorite color of her granddaughter, Aubree, and the playhouse cannot be seen from the street in front of the house.

Becky Rogers-Peck is trying to fight the lawsuit, but says she can't afford an attorney.

"I totally agree with the rules if it's a shed or a garage, but I consider this play equipment like a trampoline or a swing set," Rogers-Peck said. "Originally, I was just going to buy a Little Tikes Playhouse, and what would have been the difference? I would venture to say 90 percent of people I've had contact with, through messages, emails, or comments on websites, think this is absurd as you can get."

The dispute has been ongoing since April, according to Rogers-Peck. At a meeting of the board of directors for the homeowners association, the issue of the pink-colored playhouse was brought up as new business. Even though the structure was already built and painted, the board said they would not approve it because of the color.

"I said, 'It's a little 4-year-old girl's playhouse, what other color would I make it?'" Rogers-Peck said.

Rogers-Peck was a member of the board at the time, but has since been removed.

"I had said, 'I quit,' and they kicked me off the board anyway," she said.

Rogers-Peck attended a meeting of the HOA on Tuesday night to plead her case. The board is currently in the process of electing members, but ballots have not been sent out yet, according to Rogers-Peck. Bradley told WJBF TV that the ballots will be mailed out in the next few days.

"If you don't like the way we're doing business, elect a new board," Bradley said at the meeting.

Rogers-Peck has 30 days from the day she was served to answer the lawsuit, which could potentially be dropped if a new board is elected and has a change of heart. There are six members voted on to the board and one standing member who previously owned the land on which the development was built. However, if a new board is not elected in that time frame, a judge in the Columbia County Superior Court could order her to paint the playhouse a different color.

"I can't afford an attorney, and I was told by an attorney not to go (to court) by yourself," Rogers-Peck said. "I'm just asking for somebody to help me put a stop to this nonsense."

The development contains 30 houses, and Rogers-Peck said that 10 neighbors have given her the right to vote in their place in the board elections. Rogers-Peck also claims that there are numerous violations of association rules that can be found at other homes, like leaving trash cans or air-conditioning units uncovered. She believes that it has come down to the complaints of her next-door neighbor and one other neighbor and that Bradley is caught in the middle.

"I honestly don't know if [Bradley] has a problem with it," Rogers-Peck said. "She is doing this because the other directors had told her to as the president. I don't think she would have gone as far as a lawsuit."

"I personally would have never done anything, if I hadn't gotten formal complaints," Bradley said at Tuesday?s meeting.

Little Aubree is aware of all the furor surrounding her backyard playhouse.

"She knows exactly what's going on, and she is very upset about it," Rogers-Peck said. "She is scared they might make us tear it down."
    Aubree's Playhouse:
    Last edited by nestlequikie; 10-26-2012 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Corrected title from daughter to granddaughter

people bitch about the stupidest things. there are bigger fish to fry. leave the woman alone.

also, its a cute little thing and i would have loved one as a kiddo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    people bitch about the stupidest things. there are bigger fish to fry. leave the woman alone.

also, its a cute little thing and i would have loved one as a kiddo.
    seriously, like with all the shit in the world to worry about - people have to to pick this fight???

fucking stupid and i would have bent over and kissed my own ass for a playhouse when i was a kid.
    i had bedsheets and couch cushions.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    seriously, like with all the shit in the world to worry about - people have to to pick this fight???

fucking stupid and i would have bent over and kissed my own ass for a playhouse when i was a kid.
    i had bedsheets and couch cushions.
    Same here. I think it's adorable, and I think people are stupid fucking assholes with nothing better to do but bitch about a pink house.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

I am not kidding when I say HOA's are just money thugs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    I had a playhouse and we spent like every waking moment in the damn thing! It was awesome.

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

The playhouse is adorable and really when i first read this, i was imagining this flourescent pink thing. Im shocked at the lawsuit, it's just dumb.

Yeah, I thought it would be some godawful florescent pink (not that there's anything wrong with that) but they object to that pink? Jerks.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

HOA are there specifically to make sure that everything looks the same. Any deviation to anything, aesthetically or internally has to be approved by the HOA. If you don't, they fine you monthly until corrected. Mind you, you are already paying large fees to even have these people around.

Not worth the money, or the hassle.

This kinda shit is why I don't want to move again. All the neighborhoods with new construction where I would want to live are HOA. Fucking bastards

Also, aside from being fine nazis, if you ever have a problem with something there will be no expecting them to help even though it's a part of their job.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    I would venture to say 90 percent of people I've had contact with, through messages, emails, or comments on websites, think this is absurd as you can get.?

lololol who is this 10%?
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I would venture to say 90 percent of people I've had contact with, through messages, emails, or comments on websites, think this is absurd as you can get.?

lololol who is this 10%?
    HOA Nazis.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/201...hbors-disputed
    A Georgia woman who was sued over the color of her granddaughter’s pink playhouse has prevailed in her battle against the homeowner’s association in her neighborhood.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Good for her!!!

I am about to file suit against our former HOA over an asinine fine. They fined us $100 because the car we bought when we were financially downsizing was considered unsightly (and they thought it was inoperable - but they never asked they just fined us - b/c hubby had put a 12 inch 1x4 under one of the front tires in case the parking brake failed). We sold his '06 Chevrolet pick-up and bought a '65 Ford Ranchero - which while guilty of being ugly is not unsightly - and is hubby's daily driver. I told them that judging a working vehicle to be unsightly was shameful in this economic climate. I also told them that if they thought there was a to-do over the pink playhouse vs the HOA case, I would use social and the news media to make an ever bigger ass out of them (my former HOA) than this Georgia woman made of hers. We shall see what happens next.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Good for her!!!

I am about to file suit against our former HOA over an asinine fine. They fined us $100 because the car we bought when we were financially downsizing was considered unsightly (and they thought it was inoperable - but they never asked they just fined us - b/c hubby had put a 12 inch 1x4 under one of the front tires in case the parking brake failed). We sold his '06 Chevrolet pick-up and bought a '65 Ford Ranchero - which while guilty of being ugly is not unsightly - and is hubby's daily driver. I told them that judging a working vehicle to be unsightly was shameful in this economic climate. I also told them that if they thought there was a to-do over the pink playhouse vs the HOA case, I would use social and the news media to make an ever bigger ass out of them (my former HOA) than this Georgia woman made of hers. We shall see what happens next.
    Do you know how many years they have avoided giving me a new clicker to the main gate? 10. And I ended up getting myself one instead. Because they tried to then charge me $50 bucks for a clicker worth $10. WHEN THEY CHANGED THE GATE.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    HOA are there specifically to make sure that everything looks the same. Any deviation to anything, aesthetically or internally has to be approved by the HOA. If you don't, they fine you monthly until corrected. Mind you, you are already paying large fees to even have these people around.

Not worth the money, or the hassle.
    Ha, you know what is so great? My house and one other in my neighborhood are exempt from being in the HOA as they were built first. When they objected to having a Hobie 16 parked in my driveway, which faces an alley, I told them to SUCK IT!

I have sold the Hobie, this is not my house but the boat was the exact same one. It looked like this but my mast (the black pole) did not stick up in the air so much.

So I don't pay the fees or have to follow the rules. They can keep their stinking pool, got one at the marina anyways. So glad I'm not forced into an HOA.

There was a case in Dallas where a disabled vet was fined by an HOA for having a Marines sticker on his back window. WTF?

(Fox News/MyFoxFDallas) DALLAS, TX: A disabled Vietnam veteran in Dallas with more than 14 years of service in the Marines is under attack by a homeowners association. Frank Larison's offense: showing his support for the Marines by displaying seven decals on his vehicle. "To me, it's being patriotic, and it shows that I served," Larison said. The board of The Woodlands II on The Creek says the decals violate the rules of the homeowners association, which deems them advertisements - even though the TV station spotted other residents' vehicles with bumper stickers for political parties, health causes and other non-commercial interests. Larison has lived there for eight years. Now, he has been told in a letter to cover or get rid of the decals or his car will be towed and he could be fined $50 if it happens again. It may not come to that. The TV station wasn't able to reach top officials at the residential community, though one board member interviewed seemed surprised that Larimore was being singled out. The letter from the board states you can't have any form of advertisement anywhere on your car on your property. FOX 4 cameras spotted bumper stickers for political parties, health causes, and other non-commercial interests on the property as well. One board member said he was unaware the HOA presidents sent the letter and did not know of any issue with Larimore's vehicle. "I will be looking into it," said board member Art Bradford. "I didn't know anything about this. I haven't seen this." The board president was out of town and unavailable. The condo management company did not want to comment. READ THE REST OF THE STORY HERE >
    Last edited by PCP777; 10-23-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Yeah we decertificated our HOA. Bunch of loons run amuck.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Here in Texas, HOAs are nearly nazi like in their level of assholery. It's unfortunate that they wield the power that they do. It's disgusting what they do to people, and for what...grass being a half inch too high? A pink playhouse? Go to hell, asshole. That's when you do what PCP did...tell 'em to go fuck themselves. But that's what you get with an HOA anymore, a bunch of assholes more concerned with property values than in showing their common sense.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
    Ha, you know what is so great? My house and one other in my neighborhood are exempt from being in the HOA as they were built first. When they objected to having a Hobie 16 parked in my driveway, which faces an alley, I told them to SUCK IT!

I have sold the Hobie, this is not my house but the boat was the exact same one. It looked like this but my mast (the black pole) did not stick up in the air so much.

So I don't pay the fees or have to follow the rules. They can keep their stinking pool, got one at the marina anyways. So glad I'm not forced into an HOA.

There was a case in Dallas where a disabled vet was fined by an HOA for having a Marines sticker on his back window. WTF?
    I had to read that three times to make sure that it was, in fact, the stupidest thing I'd ever read.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    Here in Texas, HOAs are nearly nazi like in their level of assholery. It's unfortunate that they wield the power that they do. It's disgusting what they do to people, and for what...grass being a half inch too high? A pink playhouse? Go to hell, asshole. That's when you do what PCP did...tell 'em to go fuck themselves. But that's what you get with an HOA anymore, a bunch of assholes more concerned with property values than in showing their common sense.
    My SIL is an HOA officer (I forget proper title) in Houston. I hear some crazy stories, but she also gets some stupid complaints that she doesn't agree with, but has to enforce. One time I took her dog for a walk and she crapped in someone's yard and it was the same area she enforced in. She never gave me any bags! She went and scooped later.

I've always wanted to live in an HOA neighborhood to avoid being neighbors with someone who parked on their lawn, but from what i hear I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

not all HOA's are bad. i used to help manage a few of them when i first started out in property management. sometimes its the people that live there, who are not even on the board, that like to make the stupidest complaints. one was because their neighbor put their trash can out for pick up at 6:00 and they felt that it was too early for it to be let out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

My parents have lived in an HOA for over 20 years, they have been nothing but a pain the entire time. My mom was on the HOA for a while and one of the many reasons she stopped was because everyone on the HOA was a pain in the ass and they all hated everyone.

I mean, who the fuck has HOA in Pacoima anyway??

Yeah if you want to go to war with your neighbors, move into a neighborhood with a HOA. Some of my neighbors annoy me, like the people with the 45 cars in the front yard, and I'm sure I let my grass get too long for the OCD guy across the street, but we all know there's nothing, short of homicidal violence, to be done so we just smile and wave.

Ew. Yea, I couldn't handle living near someone with that many cars. Gross. I'll just obey the rules like I do in our building. Our HOA says not to hang shit on my balcony to dry. No problemo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

Thread Information