Thread: Cops go to wrong residence - kill homeowner without identifying themselves

Cops go to wrong residence - kill homeowner without identifying themselves

LAKE COUNTY, Fla. - Lake County Sheriff's Office deputies shot and killed a man they assumed was an attempted murder suspect on Sunday, but they now know they shot the wrong man.

In the early-morning hours, deputies knocked on 26-year-old Andrew Lee Scott's door without identifying themselves as law enforcement officers. Scott answered the door with a gun in his hand.

"When we knocked on the door, the door opened and the occupant of that apartment was pointing a gun at deputies, and that's when we opened fire and killed him," Lt. John Herrell said. "Even though this subject is not the one we were looking for when he opened the door. He was pointing the gun at the deputy and if you put yourselves in the deputy's shoes. They were there to pick up someone who was wanted for an attempted homicide."

Officials said the deputies did not identify themselves because of safety reasons.

Deputies thought they were confronting Jonathan Brown, a man accused of attempted murder. Brown was spotted at the Blueberry Hills Apartment complex and his motorcycle was parked across from Andrew Scott's front door.

"It's just a bizarre set of circumstances. The bottom line is, you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or police office, you're going to get shot," Herrell said.

Residents said the unannounced knock at the door at 1:30 a.m. may be the reason why the tragedy happened.

"He was the wrong guy and he got shot and killed anyway. There's fault on both sides. I think more so on the county," Ryan Perry said. "I can understand why he [the deputy] did it, but it should have never gone down like that," Perry said.

Scott's friend, LeMac Blount said he thinks law enforcement acted too quickly.

"I think because his motorcycle was parked in front of Andrew's door, it wasn't safe to assume that that was where he was at. I think they should of took other precautions," said Blout.

http://www.wesh.com/news/central-flo...#ixzz217exZc3e

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Officials said the deputies did not identify themselves because of safety reasons.
    Whose safety?

But you answer a door with a gun.....oh well. Enough unarmed people get shot and nothing happens to the cops, this guy is on his own. No marches or candles for you my friend, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    This to me is the one of the most egregious forms of law enforcement fail, right up there with going to the wrong house to tell the next of kin that someone died..oh, and getting the wrong man convicted of something he didn't do.... You go to execute a warrant, these damn things aren't at all "spur of the moment". They're planned. They HAD to know which house was which, and it was their JOB to know that. I hope his family sues the piss out of these bassackwards badge wearers. It was this man's right to have a gun on his person (we don't know if he was a felon or not based on the article so if more info is available this may change) but if you knock on my fucking door at 0200 you're asking for trouble too. Especially if you don't announce who you are. I understand the reasons behind "no knock" warrants, but to knock and NOT identify yourself is asking for more trouble than it is worth. Now someone's dead, they didn't get their man, and an assload of trouble is headed their way. Nice.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Whose safety?

But you answer a door with a gun.....oh well. Enough unarmed people get shot and nothing happens to the cops, this guy is on his own. No marches or candles for you my friend, sorry.
    I dunno, Ron. Lake County is gross, if I lived in a ghetto apartment complex and someone was banging on my door at 1:30 in the morning, you can bet I would get my gun before I opened up.

I have seen the future and I'm fairly relieved to say, it looks nothing like me.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Shit, OK changed my mind. That's what I get for siding with the cops for a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Um...
    I lived in that apartment complex. No lie.
    WHAT IN THE FUCK!!!!

ETA: It was sketchy as fuck there and the landlord was a slumlord. And Lake county is disgusting.
    Last edited by captainjillian; 07-20-2012 at 06:22 PM.

But the reality is if this guy had no gun he would still be alive.

Remember you're always more likely to kill yourself than kill an intruder.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

They should not have been knocking on his door to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    They should not have been knocking on his door to begin with.

That's obvious.

I'm just saying you are more likely to die because of your own gun than by an intruder.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Do these apartments not have peep-holes?

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleta View Post
    Do these apartments not have peep-holes?

Actually, I don't think they did. Our door when we lived there was like a hollow metal door. There is a big window right by the front door of these units though so it's easy to just peek out. And honestly, it wasn't a super rough complex where you needed to answer the door with a gun. It was mostly college kids/college age kids that were working because the community college was within walking distance as well as the only mall anywhere around, which is where I had my bakery. In fact I felt completely comfortable walking my dog around the complex at night by myself. My ex-husband and I used to hang out on our patio all the time and all our neighbors were polite.

If you remember what a mess the Trenton Duckett investigation was, well this was the same town, and the same police force.

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

Thread Information