Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elizabeth Collins (8) and Lyric Cook (10) found dead 5 months after going missing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Elizabeth Collins (8) and Lyric Cook (10) found dead 5 months after going missing

A search was in its fourth day Monday for two girls last seen riding their bicycles near a lake in Evansdale, Iowa, as authorities suspended a volunteer effort that drew hundreds over the weekend.

The girls -- 8-year-old Elizabeth Collins and 10-year-old Lyric Cook -- were last seen by their grandmother on Friday when the two, who are cousins, left her home to ride their bicycles, authorities said.

A massive volunteer search effort over the weekend failed to locate the girls.

"As we evaluate the accomplishments and results of the searches conducted this past weekend, we are not asking for any additional assistance from the general public," Evansdale Police Chief Kent Smock said in an e-mail early Monday sent to news outlets.
    Draining lake in search for missing girls

He said the volunteer effort is suspended for now.

"We really have nothing new that I can tell you, other than the fact the search is continuing," Rick Abben, chief deputy for the Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office, told reporters Monday. "... We're still looking for both of them. There's no new evidence or anything that's been found."

Nearly 1,000 volunteers helped in the search Saturday, and nearly 900 on Sunday, he said.

Calls are coming in to a tip line, he said, and each bit of information is being checked out. Police ask that anyone who may have seen the girls on Friday contact authorities, he said.

Abben said the volunteer effort was suspended because authorities did not feel there was a benefit in having more people search. However, he said, "we can always call those folks back out."

There are more questions than answers about what happened to the girls, whose bicycles were located hours after they were reported missing near Meyers Lake.

Since then, authorities say, little evidence has turned up.

"It's like they vanished," Abben told CNN affiliate KWWL. "There's just nothing."

The search for the girls remains a missing persons case.

"We have no indication of foul play," Abben said.

He said there has been nothing to indicate problems with "custodial issues."

"We've talked with the parents and they've been cooperative," he told CNN affiliate KGAN.

He told reporters Monday there was no indication the girls were outside Evansdale, a town of about 4,700 located about 12 miles southeast of Cedar Falls.

"Obviously, this is something that's very different for the community," Abben said. "... We have two missing girls, and we have no idea why."

The family now wonders if the girls were abducted, said Tammy Brousseau, an aunt to both girls.

"In the area where the bikes were found there is a very brushy area where somebody could have pulled up -- maybe had been watching them for a little bit of time," she said.

Elizabeth's parents say it gets harder every day that passes without news of the girls.

"Positive thinking is all we have right now and our faith that God will bring them back," Elizabeth's mother, Heather Collins, told KGAN on Sunday.

The girls' grandmother, Wylma Cook, told the CNN affiliate she was the last person to see them.

"They asked me to go for a short bike ride, and I said go ahead for a short bike ride. They never came back," she said.

Authorities began dragging Meyers Lake over the weekend for a sign of the girls.

The more time that goes by, the harder it gets for Wylma Cook to remain positive, she said.

"Time is what bothers me," Cook said. "Too long, something's not right."

Agents from the FBI and the Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation joined the search on Saturday, authorities said.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/16/us/iow...html?hpt=hp_t2
    Last edited by nestlequikie; 11-25-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: correct typo - forum based
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

here's a facebook group for the girls http://www.facebook.com/groups/503433643004027/

i hope they find them.

I was reading about this on CNN earlier and there were some reallllly weird people in the comments section.

I was reading about this on CNN earlier and there were some reallllly weird people in the comments section.
    Uhhh, weirder than the people you normally see "contributing" to the comments section on CNN - or any other news site for that matter? We must not be reading the same sites!

At any rate, this is all unfolding just outside my hometown along the route I take home all the time, and it's heartbreaking - lots of high school friends involved in the search. Common sense would tell you the girls have been in the lake all along but authorities don't think they are. They've dragged the entire lake and are now draining it - hundreds combing the area for any type of clue. There are a lot of strange things about the circumstances if you read all of the coverage about it, which can be found at http://www.wcfcourier.com or http://www.kwwl.com. Naive or not, Evansdale is the type of place kids still get to ride their bikes close to home unsupervised. I'm pretty sure those days are over. It's so sad for the little girls and their families, and has really shaken the entire greater community outside this small town.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrantonBranch View Post
    Uhhh, weirder than the people you normally see "contributing" to the comments section on CNN - or any other news site for that matter? We must not be reading the same sites!

At any rate, this is all unfolding just outside my hometown along the route I take home all the time, and it's heartbreaking - lots of high school friends involved in the search. Common sense would tell you the girls have been in the lake all along but authorities don't think they are. They've dragged the entire lake and are now draining it - hundreds combing the area for any type of clue. There are a lot of strange things about the circumstances if you read all of the coverage about it, which can be found at http://www.wcfcourier.com or http://www.kwwl.com. Naive or not, Evansdale is the type of place kids still get to ride their bikes close to home unsupervised. I'm pretty sure those days are over. It's so sad for the little girls and their families, and has really shaken the entire greater community outside this small town.
    yeah, there's a lot of shit floating around where I couldn't figure out if it was true or not. Some people said they found cell phones abandoned and others are like well they might have gone in the water and drowned.

Yeah. Having gone in the water and drowned is definitely a possibility, but nothing has surfaced at all - not even a flip flop, which is what one of the girls was most likely wearing. The only traces of the girls are their bikes left near the lake, and a purse flung over the fence between the bike trail and the lake. What's been reported locally and by the police is that there was a cell phone belonging to the youngest one but it was only used for games and wasn't of any use in determining contacts or whereabouts.

The strangest thing about it is that nobody has reported seeing the girls after 12:15 p.m. Friday or so, and nobody saw them around the lake or on their bikes near the lake. They found the bikes about 4 that day. The lake sits adjacent to the interstate, which has traffic at all times and is under construction right now - so traffic is congested and there are also workers nearby. But they haven't been able to find anyone who saw anything - or if they have found any type of witness they aren't saying. I just can't believe with all of those people searching a relatively small area, they haven't found a trace.

I heard on t.v that the youngest girl's little purse had a cellphone in it, and it was found 20 feet from the bikes.

oops, ScrantonBranch beat me!

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Ugh, this is horrible. Surely the two didn't decide on their own to go swimming, though, right? They're far too young to do that by themselves. I hope that's not the case!! But since they've dragged the water and are now draining it.... This is why I try to go everywhere with my youngest if he's going any further than "down the street." He's 10, his best friend is 10 and another good friend is 13, and I'm home all day so it's easy for me to do. It would drive me apeshit bananas if I couldn't find one of my kids after five minutes. I feel so horrible for these parents...OMG. And this is why I also believe in justice beyond a court of law. You call it vigilante justice, I call it "you took away my reason for living, and for that you need to die." Smite me, I give a shit. I'm a dad, goddamn it and I'll go toe to toe with the biggest, ugliest, baddest ass mother fucker on the planet if they caused something to happen to one of my two. And that's not I fight I'm going to lose. You want a reason to die, you found one.

I hope so hard that they are found alive...soon.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    Ugh, this is horrible. Surely the two didn't decide on their own to go swimming, though, right? They're far too young to do that by themselves. I hope that's not the case!! But since they've dragged the water and are now draining it.... This is why I try to go everywhere with my youngest if he's going any further than "down the street." He's 10, his best friend is 10 and another good friend is 13, and I'm home all day so it's easy for me to do. It would drive me apeshit bananas if I couldn't find one of my kids after five minutes. I feel so horrible for these parents...OMG. And this is why I also believe in justice beyond a court of law. You call it vigilante justice, I call it "you took away my reason for living, and for that you need to die." Smite me, I give a shit. I'm a dad, goddamn it and I'll go toe to toe with the biggest, ugliest, baddest ass mother fucker on the planet if they caused something to happen to one of my two. And that's not I fight I'm going to lose. You want a reason to die, you found one.

I hope so hard that they are found alive...soon.
    Yeah, that's all good and great until the BEST CASE scenario is that you've now become a scumbag murderer freak just like the person you're going after and the worst case is that you murder an innocent person because you don't have all the information and you're fueled by hysterical anger.

I hate, hate, hate these stories of kids disappearing when just out doing normal kid stuff like riding bikes. It really brings home how close to home the crazies are. :(

Dogs Detect Scents Of Missing Iowa Cousins Elizabeth Collins And Lyric Cook-Morrissey: FBI

EVANSDALE, Iowa -- Authorities searching for two young cousins drained an Iowa lake Tuesday after FBI dogs detected the girls' scents near where their bicycles were found four days earlier, heightening suspicion from family members that they might have been abducted.

FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault said the reaction from the dogs Monday night indicated a "strong possibility" the girls had been at the lake, less than a mile from their grandmother's house where they were last reported seen Friday. However, Breault said because there were no confirmed sightings at the lake, authorities couldn't be certain.

Chief Deputy Rick Abben of the Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office said the case was still considered a missing persons investigation. The decision to drain the lake was made to rule out the possibility the girls were in the water, he said.

Officers slowly paddled around the lake in kayaks on Tuesday morning. A group of three officers walking along the southeast shoreline stopped to study something that appeared to be a cup. An officer with gloves and an evidence bag picked it up and took it back to a patrol car sitting along the bank.

Officials didn't identify the object or even confirm whether it was related to the search for Elizabeth Collins, 8, and Lyric Cook-Morrissey, 10, but it was a rare sign of activity in a massive search that has produced few if any significant leads.

"I don't think that they're in the lake not at all but it is just like a dead end as far as we know so far," said Dan Morrissey, Lyric's father. "We've never gone through anything like this. It's hard enough just to get up and deal with the reality that your daughter is gone."

Tammy Brousseau, 48, an aunt to both girls, said all the signs were pointing to a stranger - possibility a pedophile - abducting them from the area near the lake where their bikes were found.

Brousseau said that just last week she taught Lyric how to "save someone if they went limp in the water." She said she also taught both girls how to "drop to the ground and fight" if someone tried to abduct them.

Lyric's parents said they didn't suspect a drowning either, noting the girls' swimming abilities and the fact that no shoes were recovered on the bank of the lake.

"The area where the bikes were found is fenced on both sides, and it is right where maintenance gate is. It is a spot that looks to me like a trap," Dan Morrissey said. "Somebody could have just come along right then or followed them down it would have been the worst spot to be in right there."

At least 30 FBI investigators joined the search for the girls, who were last reported seen Friday afternoon leaving their grandmother's house in Evansdale. Their bicycles and Elizabeth's purse were found later that day near a bike trail at the edge of Meyers Lake.

Breault said the search has been slowed because of the time required to drain the lake. The draining began Monday afternoon and could take up to three days. But local officials said the draining likely will go faster because of the already low level of the lake and the Cedar River into which it drains.

The lake is draining through a 3-foot culvert with a grate over it that would prevent a body from flowing into it, Abben said. A pump was brought in on Tuesday to quicken the pace.

The lake was drained in 2008 when the area flooded and in 2009 when a fish kill prompted the city to empty it and restock it.

Abben said he was told it was down 3 feet on Tuesday morning and the water level continued to fall throughout the day with more of the bank visible.

A massive sweep of the area that drew hundreds of volunteers over the weekend failed to find any evidence. Authorities previously dredged the lake and have been interviewing family, friends and registered sex offenders who live in the area.

Abben said that local, state and federal officials have been "grasping for straws" in the search. A tip line turned up numerous reports of articles of clothing that had been found, but none belonged to the girls. He said it was as if they had just disappeared.

Abben declined to talk specifically about evidence other than saying the bicycle and purse, which had a cellphone in it, did not definitely place the girls at the lake. The cellphone was used by the girls to play games and was not activated to make calls, he said.

He said tips were coming from across the United States since the story has gained national attention.

He said the family has been cooperating with the investigation.

"We have no reason to believe there was any foul play at this time," he said. "Everyone is suspect until we find something."

Lyric's mother, Misty Morrissey, said the family members were trying to stay as upbeat as possible considering the circumstances.

"We're pretty emotional, pretty sad, trying to remain positive and trying to hold on to our faith and know that God is still in control and we're going to find a resolution to this," she said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1681325.html

ugh...

Aaaaand, here it is...

Attorney tells Morrisseys to remain silent

By EMILY CHRISTENSEN, emily.christensen@wcfcourier.com and JEFF REINITZ, jeff.reintiz@wcfcourier.com | Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:45 pm

EVANSDALE, Iowa --- An attorney has advised Misty and Dan Morrissey against talking with the police or media according to Misty Morrissey's sister.

Tammy Brousseau, Misty's Morrissey's sister, said Thursday that the attorney also told the parents not to take any additional polygraph tests.

Misty and Dan are the parents of 10-year-old Lyric Cook-Morrissey. Lyric and her 8-year-old cousin Elizabeth Collins disappeared from Evansdale July 13. In recent days the couple's criminal background has become the focus of attention in both the local and national media.

Wednesday family members said officials interrogated Dan Morrissey the day before and accused him of killing the girls.

Up to this point law enforcement officials have said the family had cooperated with the investigation "100 percent."

Lyric's mom discusses family history

6 p.m. Wednesday - EVANSDALE, Iowa --- The family of two girls missing from Evansdale hope investigators can continue to focus on finding the cousins and not worry too much about some family members' past.

"There is history in our family, but it is not one we are scared of. It is one we have dealt with in the past and we've come past it as a family," Misty Morrissey said Wednesday.

Misty's daughter Lyric Cook-Morrissey and niece Elizabeth Collins, 8, have been missing since July 13.

Misty said the family's past has nothing to do "with the disappearance of our children."

"Look into it all you want. Scrutinize it all you want and then let's get back to what the real focus is which is our girls. Because ultimately no matter how far you look into us we are completely open. It's not going to lead anywhere," she said.

The day before Daniel Morrissey's daughter disappeared, the court set a September date for him in connection with drug charges that allege police found items used to make meth in his home in December.

Morrissey also has a pending domestic assault charge stemming from an August incident where he allegedly assaulted Misty Morrissey.

One of his alleged accomplices in the drug case had a pretrial conference the day of the disappearance, and another co-defendant was scheduled to plea the following Monday.

Misty Cook pleaded guilty to conspiracy to manufacture and distribute meth in 2003. She is charged under her maiden of Cook.

Black Hawk County Sheriff's Capt. Rick Abben said both families are cooperating with the investigation. Wylma Cook, the girls' grandmother, said officials "interrogated" Dan Morrissey, Lyric's father, Tuesday.

"They screamed and yelled at him" and accused him of killing the kids, Cook said. "And he didn't. That is their way of going about things."

Cook said Dan was at his mother's house with his and Misty's 16-year-old son Friday when the girls disappeared.

"Misty called him. He called his mom off work. She went to the house, picked him up and came straight out," Cook said.

Dan Morrissey declined requests for interviews Wednesday.

Still searching

Cook said officials also took a computer from her home and searched her attic Wednesday. Abben would not confirm the search or seizure, but said no search warrants had been issued.

Tammy Brousseau, the missing girls' aunt, said she thinks if someone wanted retaliation they would have targeted Dan.

"The children weren't exposed to those people. They were pretty much, for the most part, kept away from there and Misty would kick Dan out when she suspected (drug) usage," Brousseau said.

Cook also expressed some frustration with the Evansdale Police Department's continued focus on the Meyers Lake, from the first hours through the end of day six.

"They insisted they were at the lake. In my heart I knew they weren't," Cook said.

Abben said the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and Federal Bureau of Investigation were both notified Friday night and arrived Saturday.

Though Abben could offer little new information about the progress of the search during the daily press briefing he did say the water at Meyers Lake was receding slower than originally anticipated.

"Now the engineers ... are saying hopefully by Friday it will be drained," he said. "We've got a pump assisting it and so it's going just as quick as we can get it done."

He said officials have been manning the overflow tube to ensure no evidence flows through. He could not answer why crews were checking the drain on the northwest corner of the lake earlier in the day.

Law enforcement also requested that all residential and commercial trash in the city of Evansdale was set aside in the Black Hawk County landfill, according to Black Hawk Waste Disposal. Crews searched through the piles earlier this week.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/the...9bb2963f4.html
    Last edited by ScrantonBranch; 07-19-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Fixed link - God I'm really rusty at this!

Sorry double post!

what did those poor little girls stumble into?
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Man, everyone is going to be so embarrassed when this turns out to be a shark attack.

EVANSDALE, IA. ? Authorities said they have information leading them to believe that two missing Iowa girls are still alive, but one official said Saturday that full cooperation from friends and family members is crucial in finding the two.

?Cooperation with law enforcement is the key factor in discovering the whereabouts of Lyric and Elizabeth,? FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault told reporters Saturday afternoon. ?Unfortunately, law enforcement have not received total cooperation from all family and close friends.?

Cousins Lyric Cook-Morrissey, 10, and Elizabeth Collins, 8, have been missing since last Friday, July 13. Their bicycles were found along the Evansdale Nature Trail near Meyers Lake late that afternoon.

The girls? disappearance was reclassified as an abduction yesterday after a specialized FBI dive team searched the lake to confirm they were not there.
    Officials ?have some things that we can?t discuss that lead us to believe they are alive,? Breault said today.?We are not discouraged by the passage of time since their disappearance.?

Breault called the lack of cooperation from family and close friends a ?hindrance? to the investigation, but did say that ?the majority (of friends and family) has cooperated 100 percent.?

Lyric?s parents Dan Morrissey and Misty Cook-Morrissey hired an attorney earlier this week who advised them to stop talking with police or the media and to not agree to anymore polygraph tests, family has said.

Physical evidence continues to be recovered and sent to the state Division of Criminal Investigation?s crime lab for processing, she said.

Breault said authorities are interviewing every ?person of interest,? but no arrest warrants have been issued.

She would not comment on the number of persons of interest.

Authorities are offering a $50,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons involved with the disappearance.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...nclick_check=1

Hi Emmie! :)

Praying that this was some elaborate scheme dreamed up to draw attention away from the parents' legal troubles.

i hope they find them.

it's nice to see you 'round these parts, Scranton. :)

I thought that everyone was cooperating with them except the Morrisseys and that came after being targeted for their background. Didn't the LE drag their feet in the beginning about them being in the lake and take awhile to drag it? I am such little sleep, but this latest article sounds more like they have info and are trying to flush some people out. I really do hope they find them alive and well.

They definitely have more info and probably had it early on. I don't think they were dragging their feet on the lake. The bikes weren't discovered until 4 p.m. Friday and pretty immediately, local LE were stating they did not believe the girls were in the lake - and so were the families, but very few reasons were given. They started dragging it the morning after they disappeared and dragged the entire lake, but could only do it during daylight. I think it only took a couple of days. I think they only chose to drain it to put a stop to public speculation. They may have dragged their feet on getting the FBI fully involved, though. I think things might move pretty quickly now. I hope!

Thanks Scranton. I got it a bit mixed up.

When the one set of parents got the lawyers early on, I kind of had feelings of both agreement & hmm. It does make you wonder if their past is in any way connect to the disappearence. Then again if it does have nothing to do with it, I totally see why they wanted it put to a halt and just have their children found. I do hope for a happy outcome with these girls. I really wonder what LE and the FBI have and do hope it move safely and quickly.

Someone mentioned that there is a lot of traffic in the area where the girls went missing. When I see these stories of little and young girls disappearing, I think sex rings. People think I'm nuts, but it is more prominent than people think.

I don't think you're nuts. It's really being brought into the media lately, finally. Though they could still do more on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Toaster View Post
    I don't think you're nuts. It's really being brought into the media lately, finally. Though they could still do more on it.

This. Human trafficking is not new to the Unites States. Unfortunately, most people were in denial that anything like this could happen in the US, so it didn't get any attention. A lot of people are still in denial, but it has finally made it into the media and more people are talking about it. It's real.

Thread Information