Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Kristiana Coignard (17), shot to death in police station lobby in Texas by police

Kristiana Coignard (17), shot to death in police station lobby in Texas by police

Kristiana Coignard: video shows Texas police station shooting

Longview police release surveillance footage of confrontation that culminated in officers opening fire and killing 17-year-old

Associated Press in Longview

Wednesday 28 January 2015 23.26 EST

A teenager was fatally shot in an east Texas police station lobby when she lunged at an officer with a butcher knife and a Taser failed to stop her, police said on Wednesday.

Longview police chief Don Dingler and spokeswoman Kristie Brian provided new details about last week?s shooting of 17-year-old Kristiana Coignard and released video that shows the incident, including the girl scuffling with an officer shortly before he and another officer fire multiple shots at her.

The shooting has garnered attention amid increased scrutiny surrounding law enforcement?s use of deadly force. Officials previously had not disclosed what type of weapon Coignard had and had refused to release the video, raising questions about what exactly happened and why police didn?t use other means to subdue Coignard.

The video shows Coignard entering the Longview police station lobby and using the lobby phone. There is no audio, but Brian said she requested help but would not say why.

Officer Glenn Derr was the first officer to respond. When he approached the teenager, she held up her hand, which had ?I have a gun? written on it, Brian said.

The video shows Derr struggling with the girl and trying to subdue her. At one point the officer throws her to the ground. She is lying on the floor and Derr is kneeling, holding her down, when the officer suddenly gets up and steps back. Brian said Derr broke away when he saw Coignard reaching for a butcher knife in her waistband.

Officer Gene Duffie then arrives, followed by Officer Grace Bagley. Coignard is then seen charging at Derr. Brian said Duffie fired his Taser, then Derr and Bagley quickly followed with gunshots.

Dingler said the officers were justified in shooting the girl.

?All the patrol officers carry Tasers, plus expandable batons. I think you?ll see from the video that the time was a factor. There was no time for the officers to use other means,? Dingler said.

All three officers were on paid administrative leave while the Texas Rangers conducted an investigation, Brian said.

The girl?s family has said she had mental health problems and have questioned why police had to shoot her.

Coignard was living with her aunt, Heather Robertson, in Longview, about 130 miles east of Dallas.

Messages sent to Robertson by the Associated Press were not returned on Wednesday. She previously told ThinkProgress that her niece had bipolar disorder and had twice attempted suicide but had not been violent towards anyone except herself.

white girl reaching for her waistband!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

She was probably just trying to adjust her scrunchie.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

oh, they meant hairband, not waistband! damn press never gets it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Glad you posted this, it's pretty awful (as are they all) but this kind of weird too. It doesn't make much sense when you watch it

Lots of protest stuff happening for Kristiana & 16 yr old Jessica Hernandez who was shot by Denver Police in an incident that went against everything in their own training manual. They claimed she was trying to run them down & said an officers leg was broken, but witnesses said she lost control after being shot. From what I recall, she & a group of friends had been sitting in a car out the back of a friends place all night, being loud teenagers, playing music - as many of us have done. Then police turned up in the early hours of the morning & Jessica was shot because she "posed a lethal threat" to officers - just like Kristiana

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/bel...denver-police/

Last edited by blighted star; 02-01-2015 at 01:59 PM.

That Jessica story is big here in Denver.

Do cops forget that they have all kinds of non lethal weapons on them that they should attempt using BEFORE firing off their sidearms? For fuck sake, I am sure if you hit a teenage girl with a taser, she would go down, pepper spray, she would go down, Christ, use the fucking baton even before you decide you have to shoot and kill a fucking kid. This stuff pisses me off really badly...

The cops in these videos always look so terrified. Like, they react like *I* probably would if someone came at me with a knife, scared shitless and without a clue what to do. But that's not okay for a cop who is supposed to be both trained in and expectant of these situations!

Quote Originally Posted by becoming View Post
    The cops in these videos always look so terrified. Like, they react like *I* probably would if someone came at me with a knife, scared shitless and without a clue what to do. But that's not okay for a cop who is supposed to be both trained in and expectant of these situations!
    I agree they always look shocked that it happening...did your a cop, its gonna happen !

Wow in English this time. They always look shocked by what's happening....dude your a cop , its gonna happen !

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    It is painfully obvious that very few, if any of these police officers was in any way a member of the armed forces. They have no idea how to truly react in life or death situations without forgetting the whole "protect and serve" motto. Like it or not, they work for the victims, too. They have to do a better job of dealing with the mentally ill.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    They looked shocked because no one expects a 17 year old girl to come at them with a fucking butcher knife. as for "dude you're a cop, it's going to happen", yes it happens. Shit happens all the time and 99.9% of the time they are able to get the person into custody without killing them. Doesn't make it less scary when it happens. Training and experience don't block out the 'holy shit i might die' emotion. cops are people, not fucking robots.

Agitated mentally ill people are dangerous. Unpredictable. In close proximity knife wins- she was acting like a threat, they tased her, and when that didn't work, they shot her.
    what failed this girl is the mental health system.

ETA: Agitated
    Last edited by PunkerDuckie; 02-01-2015 at 08:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkerDuckie View Post
    They looked shocked because no one expects a 17 year old girl to come at them with a fucking butcher knife. as for "dude you're a cop, it's going to happen", yes it happens. Shit happens all the time and 99.9% of the time they are able to get the person into custody without killing them. Doesn't make it less scary when it happens. Training and experience don't block out the 'holy shit i might die' emotion. cops are people, not fucking robots.

Mentally ill people are dangerous. Unpredictable. In close proximity knife wins- she was acting like a threat, they tased her, and when that didn't work, they shot her.
    what failed this girl is the mental health system.
    I totally disagree with about 85% of what you just said. And giving a blanket statement that "Mentally ill people are dangerous" is one of ignorance and fucking offensive

I should have specified agitated mentally ill people as in this circumstance.

I work around unmedicated and medicated psychiatric people all the time. Every time I have been injured and/or attacked it has been a mentally ill person. I have 2 coworkers out of work right now because of being injured in similar circumstances. I have seen agitated psych patients be tased and keep coming. It happens. We're EMS, the good guys, there to help. I've had people fine one second and then lose their shit the next.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    I totally disagree with about 85% of what you just said. And giving a blanket statement that "Mentally ill people are dangerous" is one of ignorance and fucking offensive
    This kid has spunk.

The problem I have with this is that you guys think her behavior was totally acceptable. Walking into any business wielding a knife at the employees is a bad choice.

If she had pulled this crap in some grammar school somewhere you guys would be celebrating.
    Last edited by PunkerDuckie; 02-01-2015 at 08:52 PM.

I think it's pathetic, and actually embarrassing that a roomful of "trained" officers can't handle a teenage girl with a blade.

Hope none of them have children they ever need to punish. Shots will be fired, or the officer will end up dead.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkerDuckie View Post
    The problem I have with this is that you guys think her behavior was totally acceptable. Walking into any business wielding a knife at the employees is a bad choice.

If she had pulled this crap in some grammar school somewhere you guys would be celebrating.
    I agree with you. Were they supposed to let her stab them ? Seriously people.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I agree with you. Were they supposed to let her stab them ? Seriously people.
    Who the fuck said that?

Like, if she were attacking another teenage girl, I could understand "I had to shoot her to save myself."

But that shouldn't come from a precinct full of our protectors.

These guys will show up at a domestic and get slapped around after the wife does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    I think it's pathetic, and actually embarrassing that a roomful of "trained" officers can't handle a teenage girl with a blade.
    This is an exceptionally valid point. She wasn't wielding a gun. I am stunned that, as a unit, these guys could not bring her down via some safer method.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    This is an exceptionally valid point. She wasn't wielding a gun. I am stunned that, as a unit, these guys could not bring her down via some safer method.
    THANK YOU! I don't know how being shocked that they had no other option other than shooting her to death somehow means they "should have let her stab them all."

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    THANK YOU! I don't know how being shocked that they had no other option other than shooting her to death somehow means they "should have let her stab them all."
    In fact, I'm willing to bet a hundred bucks, that if you were to put Ron and in I a room with a teenage girl waving a knife, we'd be able to bring her down with a winter coat tossed over her head.

They could have done this another way. No one was going to get stabbed "to death" due to their efforts.
    Last edited by PeaceBeWithMe; 02-02-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    In fact, I'm willing to bet a hundred bucks, that if you were to put Ron and I a room with a teenage girl waving a knife, we'd be able to bring her down with a winter coat tossed over her head.

They could have done this another way. No one was going to get stabbed "to death" due to their efforts.
    I'm fucking sick of this "I was scared for my life" bullshit.

If her father told the same story, what would happen? How about her boyfriend? Imagine that shit!! But you have a badge so it's OK? Fuck outta here.

Thread Information