Thread: Mollie Olgin (19) and her girlfriend Kristene Chapa (18 - survived) were shot.

Mollie Olgin (19) and her girlfriend Kristene Chapa (18 - survived) were shot.

Police in Texas are searching for an assailant who targeted a lesbian couple in a close-range shooting that left one woman dead and the other in the hospital, however authorities said it is not being investigated as a hate crime.

Detectives are constructing a timeline of events, processing bullet casings found at the scene and are interviewing witnesses to understand what led up to the shootings of Mollie Olgin, 19, and Mary Kristene Chapa, 18, in the small town of Portland, Texas, which is located a few miles from Corpus Christi.

"The families are devastated, obviously, but there's really no information that we've been able to determine yet that would indicate there was anyone who would want to do this to either of those girls," Police Chief Randy Wright told ABC News' Corpus Christi affiliate.

Handout
    Mollie Judith Olgin, 19, right, and Mary... View Full Size

Lesbian Bride-To-Be Denied Service Watch Video

Case Could Fuel Texting and Driving Ban Watch Video

Hazing Investigation Watch Video
    On Saturday morning, a couple discovered the bodies of the two women, who friends say were dating, in knee-high grass near a scenic lookout at Violet Andrews Park, police said.

Police believe both women were shot in the head around midnight. Olgin was pronounced dead at the scene. Chapa was taken to a local hospital and has since regained consciousness.

"The evidence suggests that there was a third party or parties involved," Wright said.

Friends of the couple told local media they had been dating for five months.

Vigils across the country have been planned to honor the two women.

Cleve Jones, a gay rights activist, noted the timing of the crime, which happened during Pride weekend.

"Last Friday, as millions of LGBT people and their allies were celebrating Pride, something awful happened in Portland, Texas. We need to respond publicly to this tragedy," he wrote. "Whoever shot Mary Christine Chapa and Mollie Judith Olgin, whatever the motive, regardless of where it happened, two beautiful girls were shot and one was killed. We need to honor the memory of Mollie and pray for the recovery of Mary."

Mary Kristene Chapa was last listed in critical but stable condition

A celebration of Olgin's life will be held this Friday.

"Mollie touched the lives of everyone and will always be remembered for her intelligence, beauty, compassion, humor and her kind heart," her family wrote in her obituary.

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2012...stene_survived
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Witness Emerges in Teen Lesbian Couple Shooting

A witness has come forward in the killing of a teenage lesbian couple and told police the shooter was a white man in his 20s with dark hair, police in Portland, Texas, said today.

Molly Olgin, 19, Mary Kristene Chapa, 18, were both shot in the head a week ago in a park in Portland, Texas. Olgin was pronounced dead at the scene. Chapa was taken to a hospital and has since regained consciousness.

A witness to the shooting told police the suspect is a white male in his 20s with dark hair. The suspect is estimated to be 5-foot-8 and weighs approximately 140 pounds, police said in a statement.

The teenagers were found Saturday morning in knee-high grass near a scenic lookout at Violet Andrews Park, police said.

"There continues to be no evidence that the attack was motivated by the victims' sexual orientation," said Portland Police Chief Randy Wright.

The Portland Police Department is being assisted by federal law enforcement agencies, the Texas Rangers and Texas Department of Public Safety.

Several vehicles were at Violet Andrews Park the night of the shooting, according to witnesses. Officers are appealing to anyone who was in the area that night to come forward with any information they may have, no matter how inconsequential it may be seem.

Vigils around the country have been organized for Olgin and Chapa. After Olgin's memorial service today, the community plans to gather at the park in a candlelight show of support for both women.

Mario Olgin, Mollie's father, told ABC News' Corpus Christi affiliate he is hopeful the person who did this to his daughter would be apprehended.

"She was happy," Olgin said. "Justice will be served."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-lesbi...2#.T_UTXZJvDDv

This happened in my hometown of Portland, TX and will be on Dateline Friday night!
    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by brie View Post
    This happened in my hometown of Portland, TX and will be on Dateline Friday night!
    I saw this story on the ID channel not to long ago. It was one of those programs that show 4 or 5 different shows within the hour. This one was under the title of "hate crimes in America"

Here's the conclusion
    SINTON -
    A San Patricio County jury has returned a guilty verdict against David Strickland for the 2012 shootings that killed Mollie Olgin and critically wounded Kristene Chapa. Prosecutors were not pursuing the death penalty, therefore the defendant was given an automatic life sentence.

Following the verdict, Kristene Chapa spoke to KRIS 6 News. "I was very shocked at first. I didn't know what to expect exactly, I was hoping that they (the jury) would see all the evidence that we had and they would go our way. (It was) very emotional.. I wanted to just burst out in tears," said Chapa.

She told reporter Caroline Flores that she'll always carry the mental and physical scars of the attack and suffer from the loss of her girlfriend, Mollie. Megan Olgin, Mollie's sister, said, "She was only 19. She didn't get to live her life. He took that away from her." Olgin went on to say, "I'm just happy that it's finally over. The jury saw the evidence and now finally there's justice. It doesn't bring her back. But at least he can pay for what he did."

Mollie and Kristene were approached by a masked man in the middle of the night in June 2012. He ordered Kristene to place duct tape over her girlfriend's eyes, then did the same to her, before sexually assaulting both, and shooting them in the head. It was hours later when a couple out for a birdwatching trip found the couple. Mollie Olgin could not be saved, but Kristene underwent years of intense therapy to get back to where she is now.

In closing arguments, Strickland's attorneys tried to convince the jury that the first suspect in the case was the gunman, claiming there was more evidence indicating he was involved, not Strickland. There was also more commentary about the police interrogation video in which the defendant admitted to the crimes, then told a Texas Ranger he was making it all up. Attorneys also cast doubts on the handling of evidence in the case, highlighting that officers in Portland were fired or demoted as a result of the investigation.

The Prosecution countered with an admission that the first suspect was a strongly considered, until a letter was dropped off two years after the shootings. The letter contained details never released to the public. The fact that portions of the letter were found on Strickland's personal computer left little doubt as to the origins. A ballistics expert also told the court that bullet fragments found at the crime scene match samples taken from Strickland's .45 caliber Glock.

Kirstene Chapa was the last to testify, stating she was convinced Strickland is the person who attacked her and Mollie Olgin in June 2012 at Violet Andrew Park in Portland, Texas. However, there was testimony that she did not identify Strickland in a photo lineup provided by officers.

Prosecutors acknowledge that may appear to be a weak link in their case, but point out the attacker was reportedly wearing a mask, plus Chapa suffered a traumatic brain injury from being shot in the head. An attorney stated Chapa was doing everything she could to help investigators find the person who killed her lover and left her for dead.

Although talking about some of the details about that night was difficult for her, Chapa says it didn't bother her to face Strickland in court. When asked why, Chapa responded, "Because he's a coward." she went on to say, "David Strickland put his head down and wouldn't look at me, so what does that mean to you? Did you see him in the courtroom? He didn't do anything."http://www.kristv.com/story/33266376/jury-convicts-strickland-of-capital-murder-for-portland-park-shootings

So this dateline ep came on tonight and I already saw it so I decided to google it and just find something else to watch and found this

Defense: New DNA results exonerate man convicted in 2012 double shooting in Portland
    https://www.caller.com/story/news/cr...ng/2732906002/

David Strickland was not the person who killed a 19-year-old in a Portland park, and new DNA evidence proves it, attorneys for Strickland say.
    DNA testing was previously pending on a pubic hair found on Chapa. The type of DNA testing being done uses technology that wasn't available at the time of Strickland's trial.

"Not only was his DNA found on objects left at the crime scene, but a lab report now undeniably shows that the hair pulled from Kristine Chapa’s body is in fact (the man's) hair," the November motion states.

it only seems like that site is saying anything about it though (and I'll admit that I'm pretty buzzed so I could be wrong in my googling) but I've never even heard of that one but it says "part of the usa today network" so I dont know what to believe. you'd think it would be a bigger story if it's true?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    So this dateline ep came on tonight and I already saw it so I decided to google it and just find something else to watch and found this

Defense: New DNA results exonerate man convicted in 2012 double shooting in Portland
    https://www.caller.com/story/news/cr...ng/2732906002/

it only seems like that site is saying anything about it though (and I'll admit that I'm pretty buzzed so I could be wrong in my googling) but I've never even heard of that one but it says "part of the usa today network" so I dont know what to believe. you'd think it would be a bigger story if it's true?
    Wow, I didn't see that coming.

Thread Information