Thread: Craig Shiflet (23) is accused of starting a giant wildfire which destroyed 17,618 acres

Craig Shiflet (23) is accused of starting a giant wildfire which destroyed 17,618 acres

JULY 2---The largest wildfire burning in Arizona was started during a bachelor party when one shotgun-toting celebrant fired a shell that promises to shoot ?100 feet of fire, setting everything in its path ablaze,? The Smoking Gun has learned.

The Sunflower Fire--which has burned nearly 18,000 acres of the Tonto National Forest and is not fully contained--began in mid-May after five Arizona men gathered to celebrate the upcoming May 19 nuptials of Bryan Reeder. The group--all in their mid-20s--traveled from Mesa to the Sycamore Creek area for a weekend ?campout and bachelor party,? according to court records.

On Saturday, May 12, the quintet awoke and ?began to target shoot in an area close to their camp,? a United States Forest Service agent reported in a sworn affidavit. About two hours into the target shooting, Craig Shiflet (pictured at right) loaded an ?incendiary shotgun shell? into his Remington 12 gauge and fired the round.

Tyler Pace, another bachelor party attendee, told investigators that after Shiflet fired the round, he ?noticed smoke in the brush just behind? where the round landed in vegetation. Pace said the entire group ?ran over to where the smoke was and noticed fire, which they unsuccessfully attempted to stomp out.?

As the fire rapidly grew, the 23-year-old Shiflet called 911 and reported the blaze (and was instructed to leave the area by a police dispatcher).

Federal agents began investigating the fire the day after its ignition. Witnesses provided probers with the license plate number of a GMC Yukon that was seen departing the Sunflower Fire. The vehicle was ?occupied by five white males in their 20?s,? reported Lucas Woolf, a Forest Service agent.

After tracing the SUV to Pace, Woolf approached him on May 19 (the day of Reeder?s wedding) and said he wanted to talk about the Sunflower Fire. ?I think that we may have had something to do with that,? Pace replied.

Woolf then interviewed Shiflet, who recalled firing an ?orange shotgun round? at a soda box, expecting the round to ?shoot out flame or act like a flare gun.? Shiflet provided Woolf with the ?exact same type of shotgun shell that he fired? on May 12, triggering the massive blaze.

A warning on the Fiocchi 12 gauge round?s packaging made its danger clear: ?Shoots 100 feet of fire, setting everything in its path ablaze. Warning: Extreme FIRE HAZARD.?

On June 22, Shiflet was named in a three-count misdemeanor criminal complaint accusing him of causing the Sunflower Fire, which has destroyed 17,618 acres (and is now 80 percent contained). A Tonto National Forest spokesperson estimated that fire suppression efforts have so far cost $6 million.

Shiflet was served with a federal summons last Wednesday by a federal agent who met up with him at a McDonald?s in Phoenix. Shiflet, who did not respond to a TSG message sent to his Facebook page, is scheduled to appear July 13 in U.S. District Court in Phoenix. (6 pages)
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...st-fire-879543
    https://www.facebook.com/craig.shiflet.3

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    What an asshole. Seriously.

You know, when I was a kid, we played with fire...take a little styrofoam, some gasoline and mix 'em together, makes this nice gooey paste. Spread on some army men and set 'em ablaze and watch them melt. Only don't do it like we did - in the summer...in the woods...during a drought. Yeah. Before we knew it, the woods were on fire and we had to run about fifty feet to fill gallon and a half Schwann's ice cream buckets as fast as our asses could run...just to put the fire out. Burned an area about 10x15 but we were lucky...no one noticed and no one called police or fire. Whew!
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    What an asshole. Seriously.

You know, when I was a kid, we played with fire...take a little styrofoam, some gasoline and mix 'em together, makes this nice gooey paste. Spread on some army men and set 'em ablaze and watch them melt. Only don't do it like we did - in the summer...in the woods...during a drought. Yeah. Before we knew it, the woods were on fire and we had to run about fifty feet to fill gallon and a half Schwann's ice cream buckets as fast as our asses could run...just to put the fire out. Burned an area about 10x15 but we were lucky...no one noticed and no one called police or fire. Whew!
    uh. doesn't your story qualify you as an asshole, too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

The difference, neens, is that I was about 12 when this happened. Old enough to think this was a good idea and stupid enough not to know that it wasn't...or that it could get out of hand. One, this asshat is 23 fucking years old, and he KNOWS what incendiary rounds do. We never "meant" for the stuff to drip onto the dry leaves, it just happened. This jackass? He fired an incendiary round - a definition of which is below. He's a maroon. I never said that what my friends and I did wasn't stupid, but we didn't burn the fucking forest down, either. This asshole did...and he for damn sure should have known better.

INCENDIARY AMMUNITION IS LOADED WITH A BARIUM/ALUMINUM COMPOUND IN THE FORWARD PORTION OF THE PROJECTILE. WHEN THE PROJECTILE STRIKES A RELATIVELY SOLID OBJECT IT DETONATES WITH A BRIGHT FLASH AT APPROXIMATELY 3,000 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT TO IGNITE COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL. CAUTION MUST BE EXERCISED WHEN FIRING THESE ROUNDS TO PREVENT ACCIDENTAL BRUSH FIRES. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THEY BE USED AT AN APPROVED FIRING RANGE. CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS CONCERNING LAWFUL FIRING OF THIS AMMUNITION

hey man. don't get all snotty with me. 12 is old enough to know that fire can spread, especially if you're out in the woods during a summer drought. during a drought, all you hear is advisories about not starting any kind of fire, for any reason. you didn't burn the forest down, but you very well could have. just because you didn't, that doesn't make you any better. it just makes you luckier. and you're acting like i don't think this guy's a douche. he totally is, and i hope he's charged with more than just a misdemeanor.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop

Chill sister. No one's getting snotty with you. All of those things I admitted in my post, and yes, it does make me luckier. But when you're 12 you're not concerned about burn bans (which really don't exist in my old area..or I've never heard them). And you're off if you don't think that I know you think this guy is a douche. It's obvious that you do, and I didn't argue that with you. Deep breaths, grasshoppa. Perhaps you took issue with the ALL CAPS? I only cut and pasted something I found on a website, I wasn't yelling at you...no worries. If I had a problem with you, or your post, it would have been made abundantly clear. I don't. You're a good egg.

12-year-olds are dumb kids. They have no idea of the consequences of their actions. 23-year-olds, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    Chill sister. No one's getting snotty with you. All of those things I admitted in my post, and yes, it does make me luckier. But when you're 12 you're not concerned about burn bans (which really don't exist in my old area..or I've never heard them). And you're off if you don't think that I know you think this guy is a douche. It's obvious that you do, and I didn't argue that with you. Deep breaths, grasshoppa. Perhaps you took issue with the ALL CAPS? I only cut and pasted something I found on a website, I wasn't yelling at you...no worries. If I had a problem with you, or your post, it would have been made abundantly clear. I don't. You're a good egg.
    sorry. ahahahaha. i have pms, and i'm also socially retarded. sometimes its difficult for me to discern the mood of a post. i did figure that the all caps part was copy/pasted from somewhere, though.

i still think that 12 is old enough to know the consequences of something like starting a fire. and 23 is DEFINITELY old enough to know. like, wtf made this dude think it was ok to shoot off an incendiary round? O.o i am glad he called and reported it right away. i can only imagine how much worse it could have been if he didn't. :/ i wonder if he'll be charged with more than 3 misdemeanors when all is said and done. i hope so.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniVenezia View Post
    12-year-olds are dumb kids. They have no idea of the consequences of their actions. 23-year-olds, on the other hand...
    Yea, I did some fucked up things when I was that age. I won't mention them cause I'm not sure on the statute of limitations on them.

12 not 23 BTW
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Thread Information