Thread: Astronaut Sally Ride (61) died of pancreatic cancer,

Astronaut Sally Ride (61) died of pancreatic cancer,

Sally Ride, the first U.S. woman to travel into space, died on Monday after a 17-month battle with pancreatic cancer, according to her organization, Sally Ride Science. She was 61.

Ride broke new ground for American women in 1983 when at the age of 32 she and four crewmates blasted off aboard space shuttle Challenger. She returned to space for a second mission a year later.

"?Sally Ride broke barriers with grace and professionalism - and literally changed the face of America's space program," NASA administrator Charles Bolden, a former astronaut, said in a statement.

"?She will be missed, but her star will always shine brightly," Bolden said.

Ride grew up in Los Angeles and attended Stanford University, where she earned degrees in physics and English. She joined NASA's astronaut corps in 1978.

She was assigned to a third shuttle flight, but training for the mission was cut off after the fatal 1986 Challenger accident that claimed the lives of six colleagues and a schoolteacher.

Ride served as a member of the presidential commission that investigated the accident, then assisted the agency as an administrator with long-range and strategic planning.

She left NASA in 1989 and joined Stanford as a professor. Ride's interest in education extended to younger students, particularly women whom she targeted with her science education startup Sally Ride Science in San Diego.

The company creates science programs and publications for elementary and middle school students and educators.

Ride also authored five science books for children and served on dozens of NASA, space and technology advisory panels, including the board that investigated the second fatal space shuttle accident in 2003.

Ride, who was also a science writer, is survived by her mother, her partner, Tam O'Shaughnessy, a sister, a niece and a nephew.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...,6895077.story
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

RIP Sally. Its unfortuante she had to live her love life under raps but i think its neat she came out in her obituary.

I also think this is neat

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGirl View Post
    RIP Sally. Its unfortuante she had to live her love life under raps but i think its neat she came out in her obituary.

I also think this is neat

I love it when people call assholes out for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

I heart the mountain goats!

RIP Sally.

My friend confessed that he used to think the song mustang Sally was written about Sally ride. I lol'd.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    I heart the mountain goats!

RIP Sally.

My friend confessed that he used to think the song mustang Sally was written about Sally ride. I lol'd.
    As opposed to Ride Sally Ride?
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information