Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Goes On: Organ Donation Thread

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Yea, I'd hate to save a dick (Cheney). It may make me an ass, but his life is less worthy than... well, anyone's. Heheh. But statistics win out for me.

How about selling organs? Legal or nay? My body, my choice.
    Not legal. But the black market does exist. Did you hear about the kid in China who sold his kidney for an iPhone? Yeah, little dipshit.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...pad-and-iphone
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    I am an organ donor as well. After all the good I've seen donated organs do, it'd be nice to be part of something that is still alive, even if I couldn't be.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

This whole conversation reminds me of this:

I fucking loved that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFavoriteDaughter View Post
    Since we aren't discussing it in the other thread anymore but do I even have to quote all the times dana posted something and then adamantly declared, "I didn't say that!!!"?
    Go ahead and quote those posts. Just because they're being misread, doesn't mean I said certain things. I've corrected people numerous times based on assumptions based on what I wrote. You can't take 2 separate posts, put them together, and assume I'm discussing the same thing. THAT'S misreading.

Question. As shown in Seven Pounds, he chose his recipients and somehow made it possible that they are the ones to get his organs by having his lawyer friend have it in his will? Or just a legal document? And, is it even possible to make such a request?

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    Question. As shown in Seven Pounds, he chose his recipients and somehow made it possible that they are the ones to get his organs by having his lawyer friend have it in his will? Or just a legal document? And, is it even possible to make such a request?
    I believe you can stipulate-just not entirely sure how. I know the back of the NYS drivers licenses used to havea spot where you could list limitations/exceptions and also check off if you wanted all organs to go or only specific ones. They don't do it anymore though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post
    I believe you can stipulate-just not entirely sure how. I know the back of the NYS drivers licenses used to havea spot where you could list limitations/exceptions and also check off if you wanted all organs to go or only specific ones. They don't do it anymore though.
    I would have to guess that if you are a donor they would take whatever is viable. Maybe they don't make that stipulation anymore? If you're giving up the goods you have to give it all up?

Off to educate myself..

Donate my organ.

At least for CA, it seems you can make limitations.

Also..

If a family member is in need of an organ at the time of my death, can I specify that he or she is to receive it?

So-called “directed donation” of an organ to a specific individual is legal, but it must be done at the time of donation. (Organs may not be directed to a group of individuals.) Directed donation is best supported by an advance directive or may be granted by next of kin at the time of donation.
    https://www.donatelifecalifornia.org...id=11#process6

I know they talk about the "chain donation" thing for kidneys or livers - if your loved one is sick and you are not a match for them, you can agree to donate to someone else in exchange for a direct donation to your loved one.
    Love that concept
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Monter View Post
    I know they talk about the "chain donation" thing for kidneys or livers - if your loved one is sick and you are not a match for them, you can agree to donate to someone else in exchange for a direct donation to your loved one.
    Love that concept
    That is interesting.

HOLY COW!!!!! I am soooooo happy to see that this thread is already at two pages! I have not read everyone's posts yet, but will, and will provide as much information regarding all of your questions. I will be out of town until next Monday, but will try to come on and post as much as I can. I CAN'T WAIT TO READ WHAT EVERYONE IS POSTING!!!!! Organ and tissue donation is my thang and I can talk about it all day!!!

Ugh, I wish I could remember the documentary that I watched a long time ago. It was in a nother ocuntry and people are very poor there and the only way for them to make money was by donating kidneys. It was surreal watching it because it seemed soooo unreal at what was happening.
    If I remember right, a person would go in, say they wanted to donate one of their kidneys and then that person would get put in touch with whoever it was that matched them as a recipient. Then the donor and most times, a family member of the sick person would haggle over how much they wanted to get paid for the kidney.

It also showed a family member of a sick patient going every day and trying to find someone who wouldnt charge so much. It was as tho this person with the kidney to spare was superior because they had something that other people needed.
    I wish I could remember the name of the doc. Anywyas, it was very interesting.

My ex's father went to India and bought a kidney.

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Seraphim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monter View Post
    Love that concept
    Theres a way to do it too for blood. When my cousin was diagnosed with cancer we were told that people could donate in her name and it would somehow work its way to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Theres a way to do it too for blood. When my cousin was diagnosed with cancer we were told that people could donate in her name and it would somehow work its way to her.
    See that is awesome! I need to get back into donating again- I had to stop with the toxic meds I was on but now that thats over
    I would sincerely look into selling a kidney. No lol.
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    I think this doc that I watched was in India.

Quote Originally Posted by mortis88 View Post
    Not legal. But the black market does exist. Did you hear about the kid in China who sold his kidney for an iPhone? Yeah, little dipshit.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...pad-and-iphone
    I used to be at a point where I'd have sold mine had it been legal. I knew about the black market, but I guess I wasn't that desperate. But for an iPhone. Weird. What's with people being robbed for iPhones lately? I guess they're worth a lot in other countries? I'm going to google this madness.
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    Wow. For himself? I wouldn't even know where to begin if I wanted to do that. I assume he had a certain surgeon willing to implant it?
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    When my cousin was diagnosed with leukemia, my entire family registered with "be the match". If one of us isn't his match, hopefully we can be for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Wow. For himself? I wouldn't even know where to begin if I wanted to do that. I assume he had a certain surgeon willing to implant it?
    Yeah. He was in kidney failure at a very young age. He had the operation in India. Met the guy who gave it to him and everything. I think it cost him altogether like 90k, but time was of the essence. From what I know he's still kicking, I haven't seen him in almost a decade so I don't know what shape he's in.

In some systems like in Australia (14.9 donors per million, 337 donors in 2011), family members are required to give consent or refusal, or may veto a potential recovery even if the donor has consented.

Donor laws vary from country to country, but also State to State!

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Quote Originally Posted by poppy213 View Post
    In some systems like in Australia (14.9 donors per million, 337 donors in 2011), family members are required to give consent or refusal, or may veto a potential recovery even if the donor has consented.

Interestingggg, I checked my state's rules and if you're a donor your family can not overturn your wishes. Cool beans.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy213 View Post

I clerked in an ER back in the Cretaceous era..and some of the laws on the books at the time in NY were RIDICULOUS.
    I think one was the family can veto thing.
    Another was in the case of a child where if both parents disagreed on course of treatment and couldnt reach a joint decision, the father's decision ruled out. How scary is that shit?

I'm an organ donor. When I first signed up I was picky and chose what I wanted to donate, now it's whatever they fancy. I have black blobs floating about in my vision so thought nobody would want my eyes, but compared to a blind person, my vision is awesome.

One of the girls I work with is a bone marrow donor. I looked into it, it's going to take a bit of convincing me, I know it's a bad reason, but I'm scared

Thread Information